Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals  (Read 19492 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2019, 09:56:23 am »

Quote from: Votebox
Signal RAID, Canada: (1) TricMagic
Ancient DNA Acquisition, nearby Alnif archaeological site, Morocco, Africa: (1) TricMagic
Ancient DNA Acquisition, Flaming Cliffs Egg Collection, Asia: (1) TricMagic

For my Sanities sake, the votebox should only contain cohesive plans (with each plan containing multiple missions). You do not vote for individual missions seperatly.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2019, 10:05:18 am »

Plan: Falling Time
The Plan is to send 1 group to RAID the Signal in Canada. Meanwhile, our other two groups will focus on acquiring some DNA while they're busy with that. Flaming Cliffs is the Priority target, containing Dinosaur Eggs, which will have more recoverable DNA.

Deploy 1 Chariot and 1 Sectoid Unit to the Signal for destruction operations. Time for a RAID.
1 Small Scout: 1 VP
Chariot: 1 EP, 0.5 UP
1 Sectoid Unit: 1 UP
Plasma Pistols: 0 Cost

Total Cost: 1 VP, 1.5 UP, 1 EP.

Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples. Time to smash and grab some DNA.
Alnif: Alnif is a town in Tinghir Province, Drâa-Tafilalet, Morocco. According to the 2014 census it has a population of 3,770. It lies on the N12 highway. Nearby is an archological site containing Trilobites. These are ocean creatures, and will not only provide Ancient DNA, but also the needed structures to perform underwater operations in the ocean.
Spoiler: Africa Location (click to show/hide)
1 Small Scout: 1 VP
1 Sectoid Unit: 1 UP
1 Meld Container: 1 EP
1 Ophanim Unit: 0.5 UP

Total Cost: 1 VP, 1.5 UP, 1 EP.

Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples. Time to collect some Eggs. By force if necessary.
Welcome to the Flaming Cliffs, which are not actually on Fire. This area in Asia contain Dinosaur eggs, which have a higher DNA rating than most bones. Our tech could even revive them as is. Theropods and Ornithischians are the names of the dinosaur groups found here. Eggs are a priority, but we won't pass up any fossils either. Theropods will be good for pack tactics, speed and hunting, and Ornithischians simply being tanks and armor. The ability to work together is something our Chariots and Ophanim do need. It should be noted it is outlawed to actually take them, so we should have an easy time of it.

2 Small Scouts: 2 VP
Meld Container: 1 EP
2 Sectoid Units: 2 UP
2 Ophanim Units: 1 UP.

Total Cost: 2 VP, 3 UP, 1 EP.

Full Cost of all three missions. 4 VP, 6 UP, 3 EP

Alnif is near enough to our Africa Base in Nigera. And we have a Base in Asia for the Flaming Cliffs. Canada is as much distraction as information gathering mission. If we can safely slip past earth's detection, we should have time to work mostly unhindered.

Attack in Breadth: ()
Stacked Attack: ()
Falling Time: (1) TricMagic
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:12:05 am by TricMagic »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2019, 10:09:48 am »

(1) Falling Time: TricMagic
(1) Attack in Breadth: Kashyyk
() Stacked Attack:

My plans don't use any chariots, purely because I'm not convinced on their effectiveness with all those bugs. Instead, I spend the Equipment Points on PDWs for the Sectoids, which should ensure that they can hold their own.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:11:26 am by Kashyyk »

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2019, 10:12:48 am »

That... Isn't good. Even had the disk rolled that poorly, at least it could still act as transport. A small Scout doesn't care about Deployment cost, so Ophanim aren't even that good. 2 Units fill up a Scout, rather than only taking up half of it.

If the disk rolled poorly, what makes you think it would have been worth deploying it at all? it could have had inflated pricing, or even worse unit capacity then the small scout. You cannot, ever, claim a design was a bad idea simply becuase it rolled badly because guess what, everything has the capacity to roll terribly and be useless  ::) To think your design would have been an exception is arrogant

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2019, 10:16:37 am »

shrugs

My plans don't use any chariots, purely because I'm not convinced on their effectiveness with all those bugs. Instead, I spend the Equipment Points on PDWs for the Sectoids, which should ensure that they can hold their own.

360 firing range. The Signal Raid is to force them to focus there, mostly. As well as find out what it is. Meanwhile, our forces focus on collection, with the egg collection mission having a priority, and more assigned to it.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 01, 2019, 10:22:24 am »

That given... I do like the idea of just spamming X-Com with missions. It will mean a few guaranteed successes... but there is a risk that we leave them with some tech, depending on the quality of their response. I'd almost prefer stronger individual attacks, but first I'd like Kashyyk's reasoning about the risk/reward on those two almost guaranteed failed missions. I like the Fire Cliffs mission as well, but not the two other linked missions for Falling Time.

Avanti!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 01, 2019, 10:40:05 am »

My plan runs on guesstimates.

Assuming they have a similar base VP to us, and have separate Transports and Interceptors, they will have to either spend more VP than us on a mission and let others go free, or spread out and then shoot some down without a ground team to clean up and also send a transport to try and catch our ship whilst it's landed.

I'm thus going to guess that two of our missions are left alone and the other two are intercepted. Even if XCom wins both ground battles, we're on even footing, if we win or draw either of them, we'll be ahead.

Conversely, if we stack up multiple ships, XCom will be able to stack up multiple ships as well. I'm not convinced that a Small Scout will win a fight against a single interceptor, but two might. This assumes that XCom have done nothing to improve their interceptors however, so they might be able to beat us when outnumbered depending on what stuff they've built. We've then got the risk of a double strength ground attack as well.

Considering the sheer amount of variables that I'm guessing at here, I would prefer more missions over less. That way we will hopefully average out any swing in the best/worst cases.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 01, 2019, 10:43:33 am »

So, for our response to the Canadian signal, I think we should use Infiltration, not Abduction (or Raid). It seems like whoever is responsible for it is trying to contact us, which to me suggests they may be amenable to our cause- I'd rather try to win them over than abduct (or kill) a potential ally.

We definitely shouldn't deploy the Chariot. It has a tendency to self-destruct. Until that is fixed, it is going to be less effective than a squad of Sectoids with PDWs.

I'm not sure whether 4 missions or 2 missions would be better. Like, yes, 4 missions would mean XCOM could not deploy Interceptors against them all, but (assuming they start with the same UP/VP as last time), they will be able to launch an Interceptor against one and Skyrangers against the other three. With two missions of two, at least the scouts can watch each other as they descend.
That said, I can definitely see the argument for 4 missions.
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 01, 2019, 11:47:40 am »

Assuming you want to use the Flaming Cliffs mission, go ahead D7.

I'll note I'd like to do missions in our area of operation to start. In a bit, it won't matter, having more VP. For now though, the bonus is needed.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 11:49:37 am by TricMagic »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 01, 2019, 12:03:50 pm »

I'll note I'd like to do missions in our area of operation to start. In a bit, it won't matter, having more VP. For now though, the bonus is needed.
Wait, what do you think the bonus does? Why would having more VP render them irrelevant?
Did I miss ebbor saying what the bonuses are? (Non-rhetorical question, I may have actually missed it)
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 01, 2019, 12:15:45 pm »

Once our VP goes up, performing missions in territory where we don't have a bonus won't matter as much. We'll have more ability to perform additional missions, which gives XCOM more to intercept.

At the Moment, missions in territory we receive bonuses would be better, besides the Signal Mission.

4) Which nation does the mission take place in? [Poke me if it's a nation near a base, and where you want the bonus]

I would like a bonus to slip past them. If we're fighting interceptors, our small scouts are doing something unadvised. Better to just slip past them entirely if possible.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 01, 2019, 12:28:52 pm »

(2) Attack in Breadth: Kashyyk, TFF
() Stacked Attack:

Id rather spam some missions this early to cover as much ground early on as possible.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 01, 2019, 01:03:12 pm »

(3) Attack in Breadth: Kashyyk, TFF, Frostgiant
() Stacked Attack:

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 01, 2019, 01:46:00 pm »

SPAM AND EGGS SPAM SANDWICH SPAM BACON ROAST SPAM SPAM MISSIONS

(4) Attack in Breadth: Kashyyk, TFF, Frostgiant, Doub7
() Stacked Attack:

Avanti!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 01, 2019, 05:06:00 pm »

Notes: This Plan utilizes the Subterfuge of an Infiltration Signal for the Canadian, utilizes 2x Meld Containers on both an Ancient DNA and Abduction Mission to determine their effectiveness on which one is more effective, and more strongly has synergy with an Indian Base and Deploying our UFOs in that territory. Also the names of the missions utilize simple descriptions instead of titles, aliens should prefer simpler titles that coincide with the objective of the mission Thanks for the theming of alien missions set-ups!.

(4) Attack in Breadth: Kashyyk, TFF, Frostgiant, Doub7
() Stacked Attack
(1) First Blood: SC
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:31:40 am by Shadowclaw777 »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22