Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22

Author Topic: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals  (Read 19519 times)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM Arms Race II : Ethereals
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2019, 06:26:20 pm »

I can actually get behind that. It's not like people will expect us to attack museums and dig sites.
Quote from: Three Revisions available
Angelic Chorus (6): TricMagic, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, TFF, Doub7, Failbird
Mission: Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples: (4) TricMagic, roseheart, NUKE9.13, TFF
E6 (0):
Thin Men (1): roseheart
Shuttle Transport (0):
Plasma PDW (6): roseheart, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, TFF, Doub7, Failbird
Sector Mind Merge (1): Kashyyk
Mission: Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples- Nuke's variation (2): Failbird, Doub7

Avanti!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2019, 06:49:15 pm »

I've added the additive to mine. If we can't remove the local recording, samples shall be prioritized.

Mostly cause completely destroying the local recording device and cutting the lines is a good idea to prevent help from being called somehow.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:51:11 pm by TricMagic »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2019, 07:00:48 pm »

You can't change a design after people have voted for it. You can make a new design and withdraw your old vote, but it's generally accepted that once people have voted for a particular thing, it can't be changed without the approval of everyone involved.

Avanti!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2019, 07:05:26 pm »

I mean, I'm not really sure disabling communications is really necessary and/or useful. Cellphones are a thing that a large percentage of people in non-third-world countries have and that we would need dedicated jamming technology(which we are not getting with just a revision, at least not one that's also making a new mission type) to disable before they manage to call help, and I kinda doubt that we're going to be able to raid such public settings as Museums and Universities without XCom seeing us coming anyway. It's more than likely just going to slow us down and make our efforts at collecting DNA less efficient.

Also, the big boy up at the top right here? Perfect thing for us to use the Ancient DNA for. This version of the Floater would probably be pretty good for going with the angelic themed stuff too(more because of visual aesthetic than actual thematics though). Would obviously need a different name though.
Spoiler: some Old-com aliens (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:15:20 pm by Failbird105 »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2019, 07:17:55 pm »

...is one of those just called "No"?

Avanti!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2019, 07:26:13 pm »

...is one of those just called "No"?
I don't know why that's there, but the image it's connected with is just an improved version of the image for the Sectopod.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2019, 08:04:17 pm »

Mhm. As for what we'll use the recovered ancient DNA for...

>Smilodon: Sectoid Cavalry/Hunter-Killers?
>Dire Wolves: Psionic-Linked Pack Hunters?
>Mammoths & Dinosaurs: Terror Units?

Maybe even get some samples of like, Homo Neanderthalensis and make them into line soldiers, a la ADVENT from XCOM 2?

Avanti!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2019, 08:26:52 pm »

Could definitely combine the Smilodon DNA with Reapers to make something truly terrifying. Reapers are already 35% tougher than fucking Sectopods, could you imagine that being combined with the speed and agility(and second pair of legs) of a Saber-toothed tiger?

Alternatively, add mammoth and make the biological equivalent of a Super-heavy tank. I'd like to see XCom bring that shit down with infantry weapons.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:41:55 pm by Failbird105 »

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2019, 10:18:54 pm »

I think if we go for silver-back gorillas mixed with human and muton DNA, we have our game long heavy infantry unit. But beyond just DNA splicing and dicing, id want to work on some cybernetic enhancements. One idea I have had rattling around is a sectoid beefed up a bit muscularly, add two mechanical limbs for weapons and equipment and we have a lightly psionic combat engineer.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2019, 11:33:20 pm »

If we're going to raid for old DNA, might I suggest visiting Los Angeles? The tar pits over there preserved some really nice Smilodon bones that we could loot from the nearby museum. It should have some Mammoths, Dire Wolves, and a type of 900-lb lion.

I'm fine with starting with more recent animals, especially ones with living relatives we can patch their DNA with.

Mission: Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples: (3) TricMagic, NUKE9.13, TFF
E6 (0):
Thin Men (0):
Shuttle Transport (0):
Sector Mind Merge (2): Kashyyk, roseheart
Mission: Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples- Nuke's variation (3): Failbird, Doub7, roseheart

Angelic Chorus seems kinda redundant to the flapjacks' native telepathy.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:37:13 pm by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2019, 12:19:31 am »

The value of the Angelic Chorus is in allowing the Ophanim to pool their powers, which they currently have no means of doing. As is, no amount of Ophanim can do more than scout & stun; with this they will be able to do more substantial damage. Not very substantial, probably, but a lot better than what they can do now.
Mission: Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples: (2) TricMagic, TFF
E6 (0):
Thin Men (0):
Shuttle Transport (0):
Mission: Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples- Nuke's variation (4): Failbird, Doub7, roseheart, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2019, 12:37:38 am »

I don't see them really needing dps with the routes we are taking, and I kind of want to keep them cheap.

I suppose we could make them powerful ESP units, but I don't think now is the time to invest in them.

We may want to make some of our living fossils our esp heavy hitters instead.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:40:53 am by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2019, 07:00:03 am »

I don't expect that Angelic Choir will make the Ophanim more expensive. It isn't meant to make them more powerfully individually, after all.

Anyway, I wrote a thing for a potential future alien design:
Malakim:
Malakim appear to the naked eye as humanoid figures with long arms and legs, as well as a pair of pearlescent feathered wings, all somewhat obscured by an enduring white glow that appears to emanate from their entire body. In truth, however, Malakim are not nearly as elegant as they appear. Rather, they constantly exude a powerful glamour effect, which convinces the viewer that they are seeing a welcoming, graceful entity. Without their glamour, they appear as splotchy grey beings, their features awkwardly lumpy, their wings ragged and bat-like. Their face is especially disturbing, as they have no eyes or nostrils, but do have a large, permanently gaping circular maw ringed with needle-sharp teeth.
Despite their radically different appearance, Malakim are actually related to Ophanim, having their origins in the same species. This is most easily observed through dissection, which reveals the interior of their body to have the same sponge-like texture as Ophanim, and no skeletal structure. As with the Ophanim, Malakim have a powerful affinity for the Gift, and are relatively weak physically- although they are considerably more durable than their smaller cousins, due to their larger frame and more redundant biology. Indeed, their sponge-like bodies make them harder to kill than one might expect, as they lack centralised vital organs, and must be riddled with bullets before losing sufficient fluids to expire. 

Malakim are most useful for the purposes of infiltration, as with their glamour active they put humans at ease, making negotiations easier, and are capable of moving unnoticed amongst crowds (folding up their wings and hiding them in these cases). However, they are by no means useless in battle; they are capable of limited flight, can carry weaponry, and are reasonably capable combatants- not to mention that if they manage to get hold of an enemy, they can wrap their flexible limbs around them, then distend their already gaping maw to swallow their entire head- and whilst they do not have the jaw strength to bite the head off, their victim will be rendered blind, bound, and will in short order suffocate. They may also be trained in the further use of psionic powers. What they are not good for in combat is fooling people for very long- whilst their glamour is powerful, it will not stand up to rigorous scrutiny, and they cannot hide weapons much larger than a pistol.
Long Live United Forenia!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2019, 08:54:11 am »

Angelic Chorus (7): TricMagic, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, TFF, Doub7, Failbird, Priratejoe
Mission: Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples: (2) TricMagic, TFF
E6 (0):
Thin Men (0):
Shuttle Transport (0):
Plasma PDW (7): roseheart, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, TFF, Doub7, Failbird, Piratejoe
Mission: Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples- Nuke's variation (5): Failbird, Doub7, roseheart, NUKE9.13, Piratejoe
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2019, 09:05:26 am »

Angelic Chorus (7): TricMagic, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, TFF, Doub7, Failbird, Priratejoe
Mission: Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples: (1) TFF
E6 (1): TricMagic
Thin Men (0):
Shuttle Transport (0):
Plasma PDW (7): roseheart, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, TFF, Doub7, Failbird, Piratejoe
Mission: Acquisition of Ancient DNA Samples- Nuke's variation (6): Failbird, Doub7, roseheart, NUKE9.13, Piratejoe, TricMagic
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22