Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Dark Lord: Rebirth  (Read 9575 times)

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Lord: Rebirth
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2019, 10:13:54 pm »

We need loyal followers, but if we overthrow Brant the village will likely come under attack.
So I suggest we turn over Brant, but ask Pellas to spare him to use as camouflage while we prepare. Point out that he's not the one Pellas really wants.

If Brant lives use him as a figurehead while we work on restoring the village.
If he doesn't then we'll need Pellas to lead while we set up defenses. Edit: If Pellas kills Brant, use Void Slayer's idea
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:27:20 am by Sudurandom »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2019, 11:41:21 pm »

A

B Pellas is as good as Brant, give him an illusion to look like Brant for now and Pellas can be our figurehead.

RESTORATIVE

We can use this town as a basis for funding revolutions elsewhere, corrupt the admittedly already corrupt priest and we can use all the sacrificed goods to arm revolutions in a half dozen more towns.  With the real base of operations remaining loyal to the crown.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2019, 12:36:19 am »

B, B (dominated, preferably), Restorative
+1
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2019, 02:06:16 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Orange Juice Goose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2019, 11:22:21 pm »

Leave Brant alive for now, his crimes of negligence will be paid for someday. But, just killing him would likely raise suspicions, his death will come slowly enough to not seem suspect to the nearby nobility, but quick enough to prevent any nearby rivals from getting ideas of claiming the lands of a weak ruler. This would be an excellent period to solidify ourselves as a good person within the village, as well as to properly ready Pellas, and don't forget to tell him the truth, as it gives him a long term goal we can use to keep him focused.

Using enchantments designed to weaken his body and immune system, he theoretically could be killed over the course of a couple of weeks by his own belongings. Judging by the rarity of magic, I doubt anyone capable of deducing the enchantment at a glance will be in town for a long time, so it is unlikely our plot will be uncovered. If anyone has any alternative ideas I would love to hear them, as there are a couple of risks involved with this.

But, before we remove Brant, we must figure out the Priests position and how difficult it will be to make them mesh with our schemes. Of course supplanting the religion would be a poor choice without any authority, despite our grievances. It would therefore be best to bring the priest into our fold through mundane or magical manipulation.

Enchantments to the village must be done stealthily, there really is no reason for this village to have the ability to mass enchant items. Perhaps with our duty as scribe we could "inspect" the various structures of the village, discreetly enchanting objects as we make our rounds, and low tier materials appear to lose their enchantments over time, allowing us to withhold our enchantments if we are expecting anything capable of realizing half the village is enchanted.

Some example enchantments that can be placed around the village:

Overall improvements that would increase productivity and morale (Which would further improve productivity.)
-Furniture with metal bits could temporarily be improved by enchantments, or at least, the perception of them could be improved.
-Tools could be made more effective and durable, though preferably not obviously supernaturally.
-Belongings can be enchanted to soothe, calm, etc. preferably as soon as we meet anyone so as to produce an illusion of trustworthiness.

Specific enchantments that are less general.
-When enchanting the fields to grow faster, use stakes with large nails in the top to "mark" the fields as if we are recording them for our scribe duties. The amount of metal will be lesser than a full rod, but a field growing in a night is unheard of, and highly suspicious, so the lesser power of the enchantment might be favorable. Tell the peasantry that "Recording things often makes you find you have a lot more than you thought you had" or use similar arguments, so that when the fields grow our presences as an organizer seems beneficial to the populace.
-Make sure that any blacksmiths have plenty of enchantments that will improve the quality of any metal they produce, our powers seem highly dependent on metal so increasing our supply and options seems paramount.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2019, 11:46:54 pm »

Leave Brant alive for now, his crimes of negligence will be paid for someday. But, just killing him would likely raise suspicions, his death will come slowly enough to not seem suspect to the nearby nobility, but quick enough to prevent any nearby rivals from getting ideas of claiming the lands of a weak ruler. This would be an excellent period to solidify ourselves as a good person within the village, as well as to properly ready Pellas, and don't forget to tell him the truth, as it gives him a long term goal we can use to keep him focused.

Using enchantments designed to weaken his body and immune system, he theoretically could be killed over the course of a couple of weeks by his own belongings. Judging by the rarity of magic, I doubt anyone capable of deducing the enchantment at a glance will be in town for a long time, so it is unlikely our plot will be uncovered. If anyone has any alternative ideas I would love to hear them, as there are a couple of risks involved with this.

But, before we remove Brant, we must figure out the Priests position and how difficult it will be to make them mesh with our schemes. Of course supplanting the religion would be a poor choice without any authority, despite our grievances. It would therefore be best to bring the priest into our fold through mundane or magical manipulation.

Enchantments to the village must be done stealthily, there really is no reason for this village to have the ability to mass enchant items. Perhaps with our duty as scribe we could "inspect" the various structures of the village, discreetly enchanting objects as we make our rounds, and low tier materials appear to lose their enchantments over time, allowing us to withhold our enchantments if we are expecting anything capable of realizing half the village is enchanted.

Overall improvements that would increase productivity and morale (Which would further improve productivity.)
-Furniture with metal bits could temporarily be improved by enchantments, or at least, the perception of them could be improved.
-Tools could be made more effective and durable, though preferably not obviously supernaturally.
-Belongings can be enchanted to soothe, calm, etc. preferably as soon as we meet anyone so as to produce an illusion of trustworthiness.

-When enchanting the fields to grow faster, use stakes with large nails in the top to "mark" the fields as if we are recording them for our scribe duties. The amount of metal will be lesser than a full rod, but a field growing in a night is unheard of, and highly suspicious, so the lesser power of the enchantment might be favorable. Tell the peasantry that "Recording things often makes you find you have a lot more than you thought you had" or use similar arguments, so that when the fields grow our presences as an organizer seems beneficial to the populace.
-Make sure that any blacksmiths have plenty of enchantments that will improve the quality of any metal they produce, our powers seem highly dependent on metal so increasing our supply and options seems paramount.
This all sounds good. I wish I could think of ideas this detailed

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2019, 10:08:41 am »

This all sounds good. I wish I could think of ideas this detailed

And here I was, trying to muster up my various disconnected ideas as to Step Two of the Evil Morally Ambiguous Path To World Domination, and somebody went and outdid me anyway. Excellent job, and +1.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2019, 11:17:21 am »

~snip~
MM approved it, that’s good enough for me. +1.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 01, 2019, 09:48:12 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

(+3 write in bonus)

Yaras, the priest of Goldenfields, turns his angry gaze back to you. Trembling with rage he raises his finger and points it at you.

“She is a wellspring of Darkness! She has been deceiving and clouding our minds! Lord Brant was ensnared by her foul powers, but trust in the light has freed him!”

Sir Brant was indeed staring, his eyes wide with fear and a bit of anger. You sigh, it had been going well up until this point.

You had kept the deception that you were a traveling scribe helping Sir Brant with the running of the village. Pellas was not pleased at having his vengeance for being mistreated put off, but being told the truth of what happened to his sister (murdered by Count Albert) gave him a new focus for his rage.

The priest, Yaras, was taken in by your story. A large corpulent man, he lead prayer every day and a multi hour long service on the first day of the week. He eyed you up and down like a slab of meat, but his hands remained by his side.. He appeared fervent in the faith, or at least in the collection of the tithes and sacrifices of the village. The thought of gaining a more accurate count of the resources of the village lit a greedy spark in his eyes and he eagerly endorsed you and your efforts to the village.

The village was in a poor shape, and you helped discreetly where you could. Enchantments that brightened moods, enhanced the durability of tools and minor blessings to the growth of crops seemed to bring a bit of a spring to the peoples steps. Children seemed to laugh more, and one dark curly haired girl gave you a hug as she ran past, bringing a smile to your face. But of course, these didn’t bring enough relief, as you walk past homes where parents went to bed hungry so their children could eat.

After that you ordered Sir Brant to open his storage and feed his people.

This may have caused Yaras to become suspicious, as that generosity was very out of character for the lord of the village. At the end of the week, while you walked back from blacksmith where you had enchanted his tools to be better (though you could not directly improve the enchanting quality of the metal), you heard the agitation of a small crowd. In front of the small chapel, perhaps a third of the village of gathered as Yaras ranted and paced back and forth, Sir Brant and his thugs holding tightly to their weapons. You frowned, your hold over their minds had been broken.

And so now you had this eruption on your hands.

“ I have called upon the Goddess, and she has answered our prayers by breaking the domination of our lord’s mind! And she will send aid to free us from the evil of this deceiver's presence!”

You remember the great warrior priests of your time, holy servants that channeled the very stuff of justice and mercy to defend the weak and fight against evil. That this sad sack would be able to call on that very same power seemed to cheapen it, but it seems that maybe the power of the priests could counter the effect of your enchantments? Before you can act and salvage the situation, Yaras smiles broadly,

“See,look,  she has sent us holy guardians! ”

With a sense of dread growing in your belly, you turn and see three people walking towards you. One was a tall rangy man, his face grizzled and scarred. He was clad in mix of leathers and mail, a bright sword in hand. A woman in a faded blue robe advanced beside him, her hands sparking with power. A few paces behind them advanced Lady Inglewine, her White Heartwood bow in hand, an arrow notched.

What do you do?

A. Negotiate, try to convince them that you aren’t really that bad.
B. Attack, though you will probably want to come up with new offensive enchantments.
C. Flee, teleport out of there.
D. Something totally different.

(Well this is back! I am going to aim for at least once a week sometime on Thursday, but may do more than that! These three heroes would have been a 3 dice threat if suggested. If you give a good threat prediction I’ll give that 3 dice as a bonus.

Reminder that you have 10 iron rings (at least) available to enchant and switch at will! Good luck!)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 10:06:47 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2019, 10:08:11 pm »

My idea:
We try (with magic rings, of course) to make ourselves look as non-evil as we can to Lady Inglewine's evil sense, and make Yaras look like he's the source of all the evil, and trying to pin it on somebody who's relatively innocent.

It obviously needs fleshing out, but it's a useful idea.

We should also probably at some point make something that allows us to sense "evil" ourselves, so we can evaluate this stuff empirically.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2019, 10:28:05 pm »

My idea:
We try (with magic rings, of course) to make ourselves look as non-evil as we can to Lady Inglewine's evil sense, and make Yaras look like he's the source of all the evil, and trying to pin it on somebody who's relatively innocent.

We should also probably at some point make something that allows us to sense "evil" ourselves, so we can evaluate this stuff empirically.
Yes. One of the rings can be enchanted with some sort of magic blocker, enchant something on the priest with something registering as evil, enchant another ring with the ability to get us to sense evil, our robe with deflector magic, in case the archer shoots at us, I need to think of more enchantments. I will edit the post when I think of more. What do you think so far?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2019, 05:24:56 am »

My idea:

Yes. One of the rings can be enchanted with some sort of magic blocker, enchant something on the priest with something registering as evil, enchant another ring with the ability to get us to sense evil, our robe with deflector magic, in case the archer shoots at us, I need to think of more enchantments. I will edit the post when I think of more. What do you think so far?
I like the sound of all that, but we might want to enchant one of the rings with teleportation in case things go wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12