Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Dark Lord: Rebirth  (Read 9556 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Lord: Rebirth
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2019, 11:56:28 am »

The Shadows.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2019, 12:29:53 pm »

I suppose it more depends on how we want to go about things. If we use Authority for making ourselves an army, then it's going to be harder to convince others we're in the right, but if we use it more for the support of others instead we won't be getting as much benefit out of it but oue intentions will be hardee to see as ill.

Meanwhile with Shadow it more depends on whether we focus on making friends or tearing down enemies. There's also the fact that without shadows we can't truly tell if our potential allies are truly our allies.
Y’know what, that’s fair. My vote’s for Shadows, then.
We can make the industrial revolution without speccing ourselves out for it.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2019, 01:01:13 pm »

Authority or Shadows. Anger just doesn’t seem to fit.

Basically, Authority makes us Iron Man (and/or let’s us make others Iron Man) and Shadows makes us Batman. Both with a nice helping of Lex Luther, of course (different parts of him, mind you).

Pretty good reading of the options, I'll go into a little more detail.

Authority is the most versatile because you can imbue items with any effect. Switch from invulnerable armor to heat resistant to increasing personal strength. Add to that multiple rings with their effects to a sword, you could change from a nigh invincible tank to an invisible assassin in the blink of an eye. Possible downsides are that it'll probably require more work to build a suite of options that Naomi could switch to on the fly. As you gather higher quality items you be able to layer on and combine enchantments. If you choose this option I'll make a base list of enchantments, but you'll have to experiment a bit to find limitations. This is definitely the complex option.

Shadows are for those people who max charisma in RPGs. You will be weaker than Authority in direct combat, but you are also very deadly in your own right, being able to walk your way through the shadows in a building. You won't have mind control or instantly be able to convert them to your side, but generally you will know what they want and can formulate a plan to fool or convince them pretty successfully. I won't give you sub optimal options, but if you want to go crazy with plots you can definitely do that! This type of playstyle probably will focus more on relationship between characters and nations rather than empire building.

(Not saying one is better than the other, just adding more info for discussion!)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:08:59 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2019, 01:17:23 pm »

I would like Authority, both because I'm not a people person and also because I feel that it would allow us to accomplish our goals via superior logistics. Of a sort, anyway. Also magic. Also write-ins and devious plans.

Also C2 you're making it really hard to feel the darkness, here, those people literally deserve what is coming after them.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2019, 01:38:49 pm »

(This is a Suggestion Game where we will play as a resurrected Dark Lord (Or Lady) who perhaps wasn’t so dark (TBD) in a world where the forces of Good supposedly won. This is part one, in which you will decide in what way the DL was a badass. Part Two will be how you “fell into Darkness”, and Part 3 will be how you were actually corrupted and gained fell powers. After that, I’ll set you loose in a generic fantasy world that has grown fat on corruption and perhaps ready for a Dark Lord (or Lady) to shake things up. )

It occurs to me we can make items with a Authority that let us duplicate Shadow effects. I’m back to voting for Authority.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:41:13 pm by Glass »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2019, 01:42:53 pm »

If we simply mow down our enemies, it will be a lot harder to convince people we are trying to do the right thing, also, with shadow, we might be able to convince leaders to stop wars, help start them, get people to revolt against the High Lords, make the High Lords paranoid of each other, convince the High Lords that they are insane, convince their subordinates of the incompetence/madness of the High Lords...

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2019, 01:49:46 pm »

We don’t need to simply mow down our enemies with Authority. We could gift people our powerful artifacts. Go kinda the Sauron route, minus the part where we make ourselves obviously evil.
Also: we can enchant our craftsmens’ tools to be higher quality. Then they can make higher quality tools. Then we can enchant them to be even higher quality. Authority very quickly feeds back into itself.

And then we can become filthy stinking rich just with industry and buy everyone out. And if anyone attacks us, we can have bodyguards with enchanted equipment and then we have perfectly good reason to cut them off from our supplies, at which point they collapse because suddenly their enemies have significantly better gear than they can get, and also there’s revolts because their commoners can no longer get the vastly superior tools we used to supply them with because their leaders did a dumb.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2019, 01:56:50 pm »

It occurs to me we can make items with a Authority that let us duplicate Shadow effects. I’m back to voting for Authority.
Good point. And I feel like a bit of empire building. I'm switching my vote to authority.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2019, 01:59:51 pm »

I feel like things as good as one of the starting options are probably going to be rather expensive to create. That being said, I guess I see your point. Authority it is then.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2019, 02:03:15 pm »

You can replicate the tricks of Shadows with Authority.  Shadows lives and breathes intrigue, so if you would rather have a manipulation/intrigue type game Shadows beats Authority there.

Not that Authority can’t also intrigue! Just want to clarify that Authority isn’t “Shadow +extra stuff so Authority is clearly the better choice”. Think Jack of All Trades vs Master of One, but both are the powers of world shaking Titans.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2019, 02:06:18 pm »

I never said we’d be able to immediately be able to replicate all of Shadow’s stuff :p but we’ll be able to get at least some parts of it, as well as be able to grant some of those to other people in our employ who are already pretty good at it in and of themselves.

Also,
Quote from: Me, on C2’s Discord
Dark Lord thing: Authority can probably make artifacts to duplicate Shadow skills. Probably best if they’re associated with the thematic parts - necklace for speech stuff, cloak for stealth, earrings for greater hearing and ability to discern truth, mask for shapeshifting, etc.
They’ll need to be quite high quality before we can do it to the same degree Shadow can, but it’s still a useful thing to consider.

Edit: and ninja GMs strike again :P

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2019, 05:18:00 pm »

+1 to Authority.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2019, 09:13:32 pm »

+1 to Authority, because I really like magic artifacts.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2019, 07:35:19 am »

+1 to Authority.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2019, 07:44:39 am »

+1 to Authority
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12