Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44

Author Topic: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Part One Ends  (Read 64753 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Collateral Damage
« Reply #255 on: June 30, 2019, 11:29:00 am »

Kam shrugs and goes in. They seem like nice people, I'm not hugely worried.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 30, 2019, 12:29:49 pm »

Bandage up my arm wound.  Do the marbles look like anything special, or are they just marbles?  If they look weird, pocket them.

Look around for some wooden debris and adhesive to see if I can attach this razortail to a stick to make it a more viable weapon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2019, 01:37:19 pm »

Spoiler: El Tigre Picante (click to show/hide)

Now that El Tigre is in the thick of it, try using the vicegrip hands to crush the tentacle at the base of the head/body to disable its functionality.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2019, 03:57:17 pm »

Spoiler: Tim Tam (click to show/hide)

Attempt to use speed abilities to speedboat to the surface

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 01, 2019, 12:35:33 pm »

NEW MECHANICS
Faction Rep
There are different factions in the world. Players who interact with factions can gain or lose faction rep. Faction rep starts at 0 for neutral factions (like The Keep, The Church of the New Millennium, Terraterror, Walt Labs), and -1 for hostile factions (like Eyes of Gaia, Hunters Guild). The faction rep is added to empathy rolls with those factions. The main way to increase rep is by performing favours for the factions. Harming faction members or their stuff is the main way to lose faction rep.

Rep earned so far:
Sandra is at 0 rep with Eyes of Gaia
Tim Tam, Sandeep & Amoretto are at -2 with Hunters Guild
El Tigre is on -2 with Eyes of Gaia
Amoretto is on +1 with the Keep

(Players may form their own factions. To make a faction you need to have at least 5 people (players or NPCs) joined under a common name and goal.)

Favoured Action
You can now expend 5 tallies on a Favoured Action. This is a discrete kind of action (like looting, punching, persuading, intimidating, running, sneaking, foraging, using your mutant power in a specific way, etc.), ideally an action you're already good at. Whenever you roll a 14+ when performing that action, it will have extraordinary success above and beyond what is normally possible or likely.

Flooded School
Attempt to use speed abilities to speedboat to the surface
Bandage up my arm wound.  Do the marbles look like anything special, or are they just marbles?  If they look weird, pocket them.

Look around for some wooden debris and adhesive to see if I can attach this razortail to a stick to make it a more viable weapon.
[Tim Tam rolled 5+6+2weird-1drowning=12]
[Sandeep rolled 1+3+1wits-1wound=4]
[Sandeep rolled 3+3+1wits-1wound=6]
Tim Tam propels her legs and launches herself out of the gross water. She sees Sandeep walk by. Sandeep fails to bandage his arm: where cut is, he simply doesn't have the flexibility to bandage himself. He looks around for something to attach to the razortail but nothing is forthcoming. (And the marbles are just marbles, pretty but not extraordinary.) While they're searching around, the see, outside the window, a cyberlion and two cyberdogs stalk through the playground below. The dogs are much like the wolf was, but scrawnier. The lion has a mane woven with glowing fibre-optic cables. Its tail has a claw hand at the end, and strapped across its bag is a plastic saddlebag thronged with human skulls. Above, the sky begins to turn black and the first drops of rain start to fall.

Sandeep gains +2 tallies for critical failure.

(This brings you up to 6, so you can spend 5 for an upgrade if you want.)

Scorched Road
Ask the man “Why are you burning the forest and jamming the signals of the robots that live here?” They aren’t doing anything wrong, they just want the forest to be protected.”

Try to throw something in the flamethrower to jam it so it can’t work
[Sandra rolled 1+2+1empathy=4]
[Sandra rolled 2+1+0body+1rock=4]
The grey-faced man in the tractor isn't impressed by Sandra's entreaties. "Your so-called robots are metal ghosts who stand in the way of a peaceful community of man on Earth. They want everyone to be dead like them. I can't believe that you'd speak for these malign spirits!"

Sandra picks up a rock and lobs it at the flamethrower. She misses and it bounces harmlessly off of the frame of the tractor.

"My God! You're possessed by them! I cannot let you infect the flock! Begone foul spirit! Leave this place!"

He sends a warning blast from the flamethrower, which vents fire a few feet from where Sandra stands.

The sky clouds over and a few drops of rain begin to fall.

Sandra gained +2 tallies for critical failures.
Sandra is now at -1 with the Church of the New Millennium.

Arena
Try to get into the locker rooms and look around for anything useful.
Now that El Tigre is in the thick of it, try using the vicegrip hands to crush the tentacle at the base of the head/body to disable its functionality.
[Goldstine rolled 4+5+2wits=11]
[El Tigre rolled 2+5+1weird+1luchador=9]
Goldstine disappears into the old locker rooms. The room for the away team has fading pink walls. On one of the benches, Goldstine finds a whistle and a raincoat.

Meanwhile outside, El Tigre reaches the bottom of the Tentacoiler and crushes the joints around its main moving tentacles. As he does, it jolts something internally and the camera eye swivels around violently.

"Where am I? Who are you?" the Tentacoiler whispers sweetly as it begins to rain on the pair.

Gated Community
Kam shrugs and goes in. They seem like nice people, I'm not hugely worried.
Kam and Isaac stroll in through the gates. They pass along the walnut-lined avenue to a small park in the centre. All the buildings are ugly squat redbrick buildings, but they seem well maintained. Two children look to be digging up a vegetable patch: both girls at the age of ten or eleven dressed in plain dresses. From one of the buildings a tall man in a dark suit with a dog collar. His hair is white and he has dark skin.

"Good day to you both. I am Father Michael, the pastor of Tuckswood. It's only a small community, but we're growing by the day. Come, let us get out of the rain."

He begins walking with them towards a church: a square blocky building in the 1960s style. "Who do I have the pleasure of speaking with?" he asks.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
« Reply #260 on: July 01, 2019, 01:00:06 pm »

This guy will kill me if I don’t do something

Sandra continues to throw rocks, this time at the man.

She grabs a sharp stick and tries to poke the tires, then tries to stab the man to prevent him from firing the flamethrower

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 03:14:35 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 01, 2019, 01:26:55 pm »

"Well, this doesn't seem to be working.  Lets just move on."

Go up to the roof of the building to avoid this encounter, and wait for the robots to pass by.  If they do so quickly, climb down and move further north.

Do try to establish telepathic contact with them.  Not to talk, but to track their location.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:47:02 pm by Devastator »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Everything is gone to the dogs...
« Reply #262 on: July 01, 2019, 01:47:22 pm »

"I sense some sort of power up there." Theodore pointed to the highest room in the Terraces. "We should check it out, might be something good."

Use the sensory abilities of my whiskers to detect the air flow and find a path to that room with the throb of power.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 01, 2019, 02:06:23 pm »

Issac responds. "My name is Issac Revero. I am a lawyer by trade. Its been a long time since I actually did that kind of work however."

Spoiler: Issac Revero (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Fight or Flight
« Reply #264 on: July 01, 2019, 02:56:09 pm »

Character sheet:

Heya, I'm Kam. I don't have any fancy job or anything like that. Been trying to make heads and tails of this world, and seems like this is one of the few stable places around. How'd y'all manage that?
[/quote]

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 01, 2019, 03:14:22 pm »

Spoiler: El Tigre Picante (click to show/hide)

"Hrrmm, you can talk? Who are you, and why did you attack me?"

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2019, 07:29:11 pm »

Boundary Road
As Cass and Frog argue over Amoretto's questionable story, Dell finally chips in.

"I think he's telling the truth," Dell says. "I spoke with his friend Davis weeks back and I got a similar story. I didn't put much credence in it at the time, but now I'm beginning to think it checks out. I've seen the Walt Labs building: it's dead close to the Keep. If everyone died then surely they would have closed all the buildings down? It doesn't add up. And then there's these powers these people have... experimenting on the frozen, the frozen everyone else thinks is dead. Perfect subjects, no?"

"Maybe," says Cass.

"I still think it's bullshit," says Frog. "I'll travel with the scientist as he's shown willing to pull his weight, but I'm not going any further with the weird sisters over here."

Agasha berates him in quick, crocodilian Japanese, before jumping off the cart. Her friend Keiko joins her, followed by Kateryna.

"The Hunters should have dispersed now," says Dell to the women. "Just retrace your steps, you'll be safe at the Keep."

Cass and Dell swap places, Cass taking one of the bikes. Frog jumps off of his and looks pointedly at Amoretto. "Those legs of yours work? Think you could do a stretch of cycling?"

Amoretto takes -1 tally (see discord).

Scorched Path
Sandra continues to throw rocks, this time at the man.
[Sandra rolled 2+1+0body+1rock=4]
She grabs a sharp stick
[Sandra rolled 4+4+2wits=10]
and tries to poke the tires
[Sandra rolled 4+1+0body+1stick=6]
then tries to stab the man to prevent him from firing the flamethrower[/b]
[Sandra rolled 3+1+1stick-1dazed=4]
Sandra lobs another rock at the man, but misses. There are now no more rocks around. She snatches a stick from the ground. It's sturdy and has a pretty fine point for jabbing. She stabs it at the thick tractor tyre. It has no effect. The man leans out of the cab above Sandra and kicks her in the side of the head, ringing her ears. She flails at the man with the stick, but he moves around her to touch his hand to her neck. She feels an intense flash of pain and then everything goes black...

Sandra wakes up, her head is ringing. She's slouched in a chair in a dark room: the curtains are closed but light streams through. Rain pounds on the window. The room is bare besides the chair, and there's a faint smell of mould in the air. She can vaguely hear movement in another room nearby. Her arms and legs are tied with heavy ropes to the back and legs of the chair.

Sandra gains conditions: headache, tied to a chair.
Sandra gains +3 tallies for critical failure (and can certainly afford an upgrade- see OP).

Gated Community
Issac responds. "My name is Issac Revero. I am a lawyer by trade. Its been a long time since I actually did that kind of work however."
Heya, I'm Kam. I don't have any fancy job or anything like that. Been trying to make heads and tails of this world, and seems like this is one of the few stable places around. How'd y'all manage that?
[Kam rolled 6+1+1empathy+0church=8]
Father Michael invites the pair to take a seat around a small coffee table, in plush (if slightly dusty) armchairs. They find themselves in a small vestry, a little room abutting the main part of the church. There's a sideboard stacked with old bibles and fancy cushions. Father Michael spends a bit of time fussing over a teapot and serving up tea and biscuits. The biscuits are dry and not sweet. The tea is black and tastes a bit stale. The priest doesn't partake in either pleasure. Rain begins to hammer on the windows.

"A lawyer indeed! Not much law about nowadays. It's been a long time since I partook in my original profession too," Father Michael muses. "You men are probably too young to remember, but in the 2020s a man of talent could make his money (back when money was important) as a pro gamer." The old priest looks wistfully at the window. "It was a different time. But... ha! maybe it wasn't really so different now that I think of it."

Kam asks the priest how they manage the stable community. Father Michael gives an enigmatic smile.

"It's a struggle sometimes. Our faith helps, and we're lucky to have the broader Church whose resources we can draw upon. But we're haunted by the dead here, I'm sure you know them. They possess the bodies of animals and machines. That's why we need to jam their signals, keep our walls high." He considers for a moment before continuing. "But, no. Truly, they aren't the biggest challenge we face. Indeed..."

There's a hasty knock on the door. A man wearing dark glasses pops his head around the door and says, "I'm sorry to disturb your meeting, Father, but we've got a bit of an issue."

"Can it not wait?" says Father Michael.

"It's an agent of the Eyes, Father," says the other man. The Priest leaps up immediately.

"I'm very sorry gentleman, there's something I must attend to. Please, make yourselves at home here and I'll be back as soon as I can to continue our chat..."

With that the two men leave, leaving Kam and Isaac alone together in the vestry.

Kam gains +1 tally for learning that the Church of the New Millennium is responsible for jamming the signal of the Eyes of Gaia machines.

Flooded School
Go up to the roof of the building to avoid this encounter, and wait for the robots to pass by.  If they do so quickly, climb down and move further north.

Do try to establish telepathic contact with them.  Not to talk, but to track their location.
[Sandeep rolled 3+3+1wits-1wound+1architect=7]
[Sandeep rolled 4+2+1weird=7]
Sandeep works out the quickest route to the roof based on his feel for the layout of the building. His arm slows him down a bit, though now the blood is mostly dry. He goes up to the roof, Tim Tam in tow. The two of them wait out until the beasts have passed, as they roam on south.

The pair move on north as Sandeep tries to connect with the beasts, telepathically. He discovers that they don't have any minds, not even animal-minds. In sensing, he learns how to connect to Tim Tam's mind, and he picks up the mind of a young woman, a stranger, about half a mile southwest. He vaguely feels that there are other minds in that direction.

The pair walk north through the rain alongside the river...

Cow Tower
Spoiler: Cow Tower (click to show/hide)
A grimy tourist sign says COW TOWER. Looking up, Tim Tam and Sandeep see a huge medieval artillery tower on the edge of the river. The bank is high and clear, other than tall grass. The river slopes around south and northwest from here. The river is high and fast, surrounded by the cityscape. They can see a high heathland on the opposite bank to the northeast. A mile or so southeast, they see that blimp still floating in the air. It's still tipping it down with rain and the pair will soon be soaked to the bone.

Sandeep and Tim Tam are now wet from the rain.
Sandeep and Tim Tam gain +1 tally for exploration.

Terraces
"I sense some sort of power up there." Theodore pointed to the highest room in the Terraces. "We should check it out, might be something good."

Use the sensory abilities of my whiskers to detect the air flow and find a path to that room with the throb of power.
[Theodore rolled 5+1+2weird-1hangover=7]
Through his hangover, Theodore tries to concentrate on the signal from his whiskers. He leads the others across a high bridge between the towers. The glass is cracked and leaves have blown in. They walk up a tall staircase to a corridor on the highest floor. The door is hanging open and there's a smear of blood and oil across the faded brown carpets.

Theodore takes a step through and sees, in the ruined remains of someone's front room, nestling in a smashed up sofa, is a broken machine animal.

It looks like a chrome-plated gorilla with glowing red visor instead of eyes. One of its legs is half hanging off and there's a huge bite mark in one of its arms.

"WHAT A PATHETIC SPECIMEN!" Viktor bellows. "THEY DON'T TASTE NICE."

"I've glimpsed some these weird robo beasts when I was holed up in the lab," says Timmy. "We should be careful..."

"Please..." the cybergorilla croaks with a hollow, bloody voice. "Get me a fresh battery. I'll give you mad kudos, on my honour and the honour of my guild!"

Arena
"Hrrmm, you can talk? Who are you, and why did you attack me?"
[El Tigre rolled 6+3+1empathy-2gaia=8]
"I didn't attack you," whispers the tentacoiler. The voice is light and melodic. "I only just got control of my morph back. I'm Helen and I'm an... environmentalist."

She whips a tentacle around El Tigre's middle and hauls him up into the air. Helen hisses, "Tell me why you're attacking me! What's going on here?"

El Tigre gains condition: being manhandled
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:37:43 pm by notquitethere »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Reversals
« Reply #267 on: July 01, 2019, 07:38:12 pm »

Issac decides to sit down and read one of the old bibles. Issac was never really the churchy type, but he did recall it being possible to express pretty much any viewpoint by selectively choosing verses in the bible back in the old day. This was information that Issac could potentially be useful if he were to spend an extended amount of time in this place.

Spoiler: Issac Revero (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 01, 2019, 07:44:33 pm »

Amoretto shrugs.
“I’m hardly the most fit person - as I mentioned, I’m a scientist, not the most physical of jobs - but I’m not terribly out of shape either. Yeah, I’ll take a turn.”
He then gets on the proffered bike and begins pedaling when it comes time to do so.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 01, 2019, 07:44:45 pm »

I should be able to see pretty good from up there, get a good idea of what's going on.

Plus it's wet here.

Try to find a way into the tower.  It should be clear due to no minds, but there might still be more robots around.

If no way is found, (not just locked, or otherwise inaccessable), climb up to the top via biting out hand and foot-holds.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:48:52 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44