Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44

Author Topic: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Part One Ends  (Read 64451 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Everything is gone to the dogs...
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2019, 10:23:55 am »

Sycamore Park
To the Southwest in search of grub!
Go  in the direction the most people went, and try to figure out what any of these abilities mean.
Theodore, Timmy and Ed push out of the laboratory and head towards the southwest. As they travel through the towering empty city, through to an area thick with sycamore trees, Ed pushes his bicycle and tries to figure out the changes to his body. He has a slime that exudes from his skin. And when he looks at his hands, the veins seem to be glowing.
[Ed rolls 1+2+2weird=5]
They travel through to what was once a public park. There are signs of a children's playpark here: the frame of a swingset sticking of the bushes; some poles of a climbing frame. Somewhere to the southeast, dozens of pigeons fly up into the sky. But here it is quiet. They find themselves in a clearing covered in mushrooms.

"I wonder what all that slime does," Timmy says, looking at Ed's moist forehead. "One of the others that went north was a Walt Lab scientist, but he wasn't telling anyone anything about what happened. When I was in the lab for all that time, I experimented a bit. Tried pricking my skin and nothing happened. I learned I can't even be cut. Maybe it'd be the same for you? Maybe the slime seals wounds?"

Timmy produces a makeshift knife. Carefully he helps prick Ed's finger. An intense burst of light shoots from the tiny cut. It strikes Theodore's shoulder, singing through his clothes and stinging him with a brief, sharp heat.

Theodore and Ed: +1 tally for exploration.
Ed: +1 tally for critical failure.
Theodore has gained Slightly Singed Clothing.

Walt Labs
Not inclined to try jabbing a random syringe into himself, Issac decides to try something else, to use his Faceshift ability to reduce the size of his hand in order to reduce the blood loss from the cut hand.
[Isaac rolls 3+3+1weird=7]
Isaac concentrates on his cut hand, and the appendage grows smaller and smaller before his eyes. The skin knits up around the wound, healing his hand. But the when he comes to changing the hand back, it just feels tired. For now, he's stuck with one small hand...

Isaac no longer has the wound: Cut Hand.
Isaac has gained: One Tiny Hand.

Attempt to collect one of the empty syringes from the machine.
[Tim Tam rolls: 5+3+0body=8]

Tim Tam pulls out one of the empty syringes but manages to scratch herself on one of the other syringes.

Tim Tam gains wound: Light Scratch
Tim Tam gains: Empty Syringe

(question, what do professions actually do? I'd assume they do something since you can spend Experience on them, but there's no description given as to their purpose)
(They shape how success looks like-- whether you could reasonable be able to an action. Also if an act falls squarely under the player's profession, they'll get a bonus to it. E.g. when you menace people, you'll get a +1.)

Investigate the ruined dogbots, looking for maybe some useful parts in them, or maybe a way to restart them as loyal to me?
[Amoretto rolls 3+3+1wits+1scientist=8]
Dr Amoretto investigates the dogs. He sees that their every muscle and tendon is interlaced with fine wires. Like Galvani's experiments, these dogs are move through an electric current jolting their limbs into crude action. There is no artificial brain or advanced computing hardware here. Rather, there is an antennae behind each of their ears which receives a signal from who-knows-where. A battery in their stomach powers the whole thing. They're not alive, but are rather biomechanical drones. One of the eye-cameras twitches towards Amoretto and a light blinks red. Some internal self-destruct is activated. Their stomachs explode and their circuitry melts. Soon the room is filled with the smell of burnt hairs, flesh, and wiring and the cyberdogs are two molten piles of slag and bone.

Amoretto has learned a secret: the cyberdogs are drones, controlled remotely. +1 tally

Residential Sycamore
"Damn birds giving away my hiding spot!"
Jump out a window and run into a different building and close the door behind me.[/b\]
[Burt rolled: 5+4+1body=10]
Dr Burt sprints over the pigeon-shit encrusted conservatory and leaps out of the empty frame. Pushing through the nettles that clog the garden beyond, he steps over a collapsed fence and runs into the back of the next house over. He comes to a pvc door, locked, but the window cracked. Not wasting any time, he smashes the window of the door with a nearby rock, reaches in and unlocks it. Safely in the house, he glimpses back and sees the huge mechanical insect climb into the conservatory across the way.

He runs through the new house. Dusty with empty floorboards, long abandoned but in good condition. He moves to the front door on the other side, and sees a tree-clogged street beyond that he half-recognises. From here he could escape in any northerly direction without passing by the robot.

Burt has gained a small rock.

Clock Tower
Investigate the Clanging to the North.
Follow Keiko
Keiko and Kateryna walk the forlorn streets northwards. They are surrounded by a sprawling cityscape on all sides. The sound of clanging grows louder and then stops abruptly. In the shadow of a clock tower, jutting out from a sprawling old marble building, they at last see a figure leaning over a great hulking machine. The machine is the size and shape of a bear, formed of a huge metal carapace with four thick legs. A length of rebar lies next to the machine. The figure looks up as Keiko and Kateryna approach.

They see what looks like a young woman in a sailor suit with a pleated skirt. A shock of purple hair spreads down her back, but her head is that of a crocodile. Blood drips from her long face, brimming with teeth. She had been feasting on raw flesh within the machine. As they get closer the crocodile-faced girl shouts and picks up the rebar. Her voice is mangled by her form, but Keiko can make out the words.

"Go away!" she shouts, in Japanese. "You cannot see me like this!"

Keiko and Kateryna: +1 tally for exploration

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Strange discoveries...
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2019, 11:19:17 am »

"Are you okay?" Keiko replies back. Empathy Check

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2019, 11:20:39 am »

*coughing from the smoke*
“Alright, I think that’s everything here. How about we go north?”
Current plan is to explore northwards.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2019, 11:32:08 am »

Issac figures that food should probably be his next objective. Barring any better ideas, Issac decides to go along with Dr. Amoretto to the north.

Spoiler: Isaac Revero (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2019, 12:22:19 pm »

so not чорнобиль, the cyber bear proves it could still be Russia.
hold action till Keiko finishes diplomacy
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 12:24:02 pm by TheRedwolf »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2019, 12:32:30 pm »

(They shape how success looks like-- whether you could reasonable be able to an action. Also if an act falls squarely under the player's profession, they'll get a bonus to it. E.g. when you menace people, you'll get a +1.)
Eeeeexcellent

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2019, 12:54:25 pm »

Timmy lets out a low hiss from the shock of the laser. "Alright, new post apocalyptic rule. No poking people with sharp objects when you have no idea what their mutations do."

Get Timmy to pick some of the mushrooms if they look edible. If they aren't, head NW with Timmy.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2019, 01:59:18 pm »

Clock Tower
"Are you okay?" Keiko replies back. Empathy Check
hold action till Keiko finishes diplomacy
[Keiko rolls: 4+5+2empathy=11]
The girl steps closer as Keiko approaches. She blinks her big green eyes, drops her rebar, and wipes her bloody maw with the back of her hand.

"Kurogami-san, is that you? It's me, Agasha Yuuki! I knew you were frozen. I- I felt so guilty about the trick we played. And now! My punishment! This face! This hunger!"

She stares down at the ground in shame. "I'm a monster," she rasps. Her eyes well up with tears. "I'm so sorry we brought you here... could you- could you ever forgive me?"

Sycamore Park
Get Timmy to pick some of the mushrooms if they look edible. If they aren't, head NW with Timmy.
[Theodore rolls 6+6+1wits=13]
Remembering a documentary half-watched many years ago, he identifies the very distinct Fly Agaric mushroom growing beneath a solitary conifer. The mushroom is a red toadstool with white spots. Eaten on its own it is a deliriant and an emetic, but properly boiled it's a perfectly edible mushroom. Timmy and Theodore gather a decent amount up.

Theodore has gained some Fly Agaric Mushrooms.

(Just waiting on a few other responses before processing various travel actions.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:16:08 pm by notquitethere »

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2019, 02:40:48 pm »

I check what is in my uniform pockets Keikoski, Yuuki, we should probably gather supplies for shelter. I have read army manual on survival, I just need supplies. I start searching for shelter supplies

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2019, 02:48:46 pm »

She gets a bit closer to Agasha-san, flexing her new tail a bit to be noticeable. She speaks softly so the man won't overhear."Well, not as if things aren't strange enough Agasha-san. This guy just decided to follow me."

"Come on, not like any of that matters now..."
she trails off.

She looks over at the guy going wandering off.

"A bunch of others woke up too, and this strange person apparently was waiting for one of them too. You know him?"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 02:50:25 pm by TricMagic »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2019, 03:15:43 pm »

(BTW Tric, Kateryna is also a woman)

Clock Tower
""Come on, not like any of that matters now..." she trails off.

"A bunch of others woke up too, and this strange person apparently was waiting for one of them too. You know him?"
"I don't know her," Agasha says, "She must have unfroze after I left. There were so many strange people when I came here. It's definitely not Tokyo any more. Well none of them spoke Japanese, I tried to follow, but I got so hungry, and ashamed... I- I'm glad you didn't turn out so bad."

She looks at Kateryna who is entering the nearby building. "Maybe there's strength in numbers. Just watch out. I've seen people change out here. Start off almost normal and become warped..."

I check what is in my uniform pockets Keikoski, Yuuki, we should probably gather supplies for shelter. I have read army manual on survival, I just need supplies. I start searching for shelter supplies
[Kateryna rolled: 1+2+wits2+soldier1=6]
Kateryna checked her pockets... she had nothing of use in them. But she had made makeshift shelters many times before when out on campaign so she knew what to look for. She begins with the building next to the clock tower. She slips through a gap between two solid wooden doors. In the darkness beyond, there was some kind of marble-floored atrium. Perhaps this was once a city hall, or a library. Now it was a cold stone chamber. To her left, there was a small booth, perhaps a receptionist once sat there. Immediately above her is a wooden mezzanine floor put in long after the building was first constructed. Dangling from this is a plastic banner that says:

UPLOX HERE!
0 KUDOS NEC!

This would definitely keep the rain off! Kateryna gives the banner a firm yank and it comes down and with it comes the whole upper mezzanine floor! On insecure foundations, the ceiling above Kateryna collapses towards her. With expert training, she dives into the safety of the receptionist booth. She is encased in darkness, with great wooden planks and sheets of MDF piled over the booth. Kateryna is trapped!

Outside, Agasha looks at the marble building and says, "What was that noise?! I- I hope that woman is okay."

Kateryna : +1 tally for critical failure.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2019, 03:54:10 pm »

блин I check the booth for food and then pull my way out of the booth
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:13:45 pm by TheRedwolf »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2019, 04:02:49 pm »

I’ve just realized that the highest Empathy in the “just fought dogs” group is me with a -1. :|
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2019, 04:07:06 pm »

I’ve just realized that the highest Empathy in the “just fought dogs” group is me with a -1. :|
(Haha, nice to see the awkward squad sticking together.)

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2019, 04:13:20 pm »

"Jesus Christ!"
Attempt to staunch the bleeding, then look at the dried blood. Does it emit light outside of my body?

[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:21:07 pm by WyrdByrd »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44