Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44

Author Topic: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Part One Ends  (Read 64580 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Conflict escalates!
« Reply #330 on: July 09, 2019, 07:07:13 am »

Warehouse -> Swamp Houses
Leave here and head northwest, hopefully towards those mysterious docks.
[Sandeep rolled 5+4+1wits=10]
Sandeep and Tim Tam head out of the warehouse into a swampy district filled with terrace houses sinking into a swamp where the river has burst its banks and is slowly consuming the city around here. Reeds throng the muddy edges of the water, trees grow through the mouldering houses. The city is drier to the north, northeast and southeast.

The river is meandering to the south from the northwest. A canoe is stuck in the branches of a willow tree overhanging the river, presumably left there by a storm.

Tim Tam and Sandeep gain +1 tally for exploration.

Gated Community
Try to open the door opposite where I was held and get inside that room, if the door is locked, run upstairs
[Sandra rolled 4+1+1body=6]
Sandra rattles the handle of the door opposite. The door is stiff and isn't opening, so she darts down the hall to run up the stairs, but before she can get to them, the grey-faced man in dark glasses reaches the top of the stairs. She stumbles back from him.

"Damned spy! Where did you get that?" he says, looking at the bread knife that Sandra is still holding. The man takes a few cautious steps towards her, his hands outstretched. There are metal plates covering the man's palms.

Sandra gains +1 tally for critical failure. (She now has enough tallies for a mutation or upgrade.)

Issac points to the old bibles in the office. "I assume that The Church of the New Millenium bases itself upon these books, by the fact that they have been preserved to this day and plainly accessible to the public. So with that in mind..." Issac then makes a counterpoint to Father Michael's assertion that they cannot waste their time. "That being said, I call to mind Proverb 19:2. Desire without knowledge is not good, and whoever makes haste with his feet misses his way. Surely, you must at least have enough time to allow us to actually learn about your ways prior to commiting to them. If you ways are the truth, and I can't imagine you would believe that they are not, then your system of beliefs will stand up to any scrutiny. Conversely, the false religions of the Kingdom of Darkness will crumble to dust when confronted with the truth. It is they who stand to gain the most from ignorance after all"

Putting an emphasis on his final words, Issac said "No self respecting lawyer would sign the contract without reading it first, so if you disagree then I'll stop wasting your precious time and leave at once."
[Isaac rolled 6+6-2empathy+1bibleknowledge+1lawyer=12]
Father Michael nods sagely. "Do forgive me Mr. Revero, you are quite right. Just as Proverbs 21:5 says, 'The plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty, but those of everyone who is hasty, surely to poverty.' I let my concern of the Enemy cloud my good judgement. You have most of the Millennium left to make right with the Lord. Isaac, Kam, the doors of Tuckswood are always open to you. You're welcome to stay at any time and eat with the children."

He takes a big set of keys out of his pocket and detaches one and hands it to Isaac.

"This is for 24 Maid Marian Road, just across the green. Feel free to stay if you wish." He rises, and gestures to the rest of building. "We are about to have a service in the church, you are welcome to join us."

With that he heads into the church, leaving Isaac and Kam to their own devices. With a smile, Isaac realises that this is the first time his legal reasoning skills have truly come in handy since he woke up in this strange new world. Perhaps there's hope for the law in this land after all...

Isaac gains +1 tally for taking one small step towards his big dream.

Crater
"Hmm...we need information. I'll try to see if I can find out anything. Maybe they're like the gorilla. If they're hostile though, I would appreciate if you could destroy them, Viktor. Try to avoid the battery, though."

To the cyberanimals: "Ahem. Hello. I come in peace. Are the two of you part of a guild?"

Exit the hiding spot, preferably in a direction where it blocks the cyberanimals from seeing me, and step out on the side away from where Viktor and Timmy are hiding, but close enough for Viktor to react if they attack. Then greet the cyberanimals with the aid of my Silver Tongue to convince them of my peacefulness.
[Theodore rolled 5+4+2weird=11]
The cyberbear and the cyberdog quickly bound over to Theodore when he steps out in the open but they halt in their tracks when he speaks. As they speak, their mouths don't move. Rather, voices bark out of speakers embedded somewhere in their bodies.

"Yes, bold fleshling, we are the Mitebitten of the Glorious Marmite League," the bear growls.

"We own this motherflipping town," the dog yaps, before mumbling, "(Gold duck it! I flipping hate this flipping censorship.)"

"You're another one without metrics. How am I meant to get kudos when it's only no-names crawling about out here?" the bear grumbles.

Arena
Use my claws to slice the yeti's achilles tendon, knocking him prone!
[El Tigre rolled 3+2+1weird-1puffed+1luchador+1helen=7]
El Tigre darts forward and rakes the yeti's tendon, digging his metal talons in to the great cyberbeast's ankle. Its metal reinforced legs don't fall over straight away, but Helen moves over and coils one of her tentacles around the beasts other leg and yanks, knocking RIPAlbion39 prone on the ashen ground. The drone it was holding gets free and hovers nearby, filming everything.

Helen darts a razor-edged tentacle into the stomach of cyberbeast and as it struggles to get up, she rips out a gore-soaked metal box.

"Caballero Fuerte is coming for you!" the beast booms before its light go dead, the battery is snapped away and the body collapses.

"WHAT A GLORIOUS FIGHT FROM THE MASKED MAN OF MYSTERY, EL TIGRE PICANTE AND HIS UNLIKELY ALLY, THE THAMES TENTACOILER!"

"I don't know who or what you are..." Helen whispers. "But you're alright with me."

As he looks at the monstrous robot, he sees, briefly his own reflection in its shiny metal surface, warped and rounded, but clearly still a man. He recognised her humanity behind her mask, as she did him.

The nearest drone says "THIS FIGHT IS DOING GOOD NUMBERS. WE WOULD LIKE TO SPONSOR THE PAIR OF YOU FOR A RAMPAGE TOUR."

"I've got to get back to London..." Helen whispers. "You kidnapped me and now you want to sponsor me?"

"CORRECT. THIS SHOULD MAKE EXCELLENT FOOTAGE."

El Tigre gains +1 tally for taking a step towards his big dream.

El Tigre gains +1 rep with Eyes of Gaia (now 0).
El Tigre gains -1 rep with Hunters (now -2)
El Tigre gains +1 rep with Terraterror (now 1).
El Tigre gains +1 kudos! (Whatever that is.)

"Aw shit there's some weirdo wandering around here."
Grab the printed news story and pull a drawer out of the desk to use as a weapon and continue to search the back rooms of the stadium.
[Goldstine rolled 5+3+2wits+1veteran=11]
As Goldstine grabs the desk draw and moves through the back rooms of the stadium, he begins to fall into the patterns of his earlier military training. Ways of moving and holding himself come back to him, like slipping into an old suit.

Goldstine searches the rest of the place but soon realises he's exhausted the place of anything interesting or useful. As he moves out, he hears a sound which gives him pause. While hidden behind a pillar, he spots the red capped being stalking through the entrance-way. It has similar metallic markings to the huge cyberbeast that El Tigre was fighting. Its face is a metal mask and its rough clothes are foul with grime.

There's the dim sound of loud voices from back in the arena and suddenly the red capped thing scampers out of the entrance, out towards the city beyond.

Goldstine gains a desk drawer.

The Bells-> Hill Bottom
Sonic boom a clear path through the debris, then do so again behind us to give us a boost. Flat tires may not be ideal for suspension and the like, but they’re still round.
[Amoretto rolled 3+2+2weird=7]
[Amoretto rolled 5+1+2weird+1allies=9]
Amoretto shouts repeatedly at the glass and nails, blasting a path clear. He braces himself as he does, the shock waves running through him.

Something which could once have been human emerges from the open doors of the church. It has a body covered in vast bulging growths. These growths even cover the top of its head, leaving it earless, warped and misshapen. The only clothes it has are tattered rags now, but once they were bright orange. It has an immense lower jaw that stretches almost to its distended stomach. A tongue with a razor sharp point flicks out

Frog and Dell take the main part of the bike and try to pedal despite the slashed tires. Cass is in the back and launches a crossbow bolt at the thing. The bolt lands in one of the growths and it still keeps coming. Amoretto booms his voice and the bike is launched forward away from the church. He booms and booms and the thing isn't effected, but the bike is propelled onwards. They shoot forwards onto the main road, and down a hill. At the bottom of the hill, half a mile away, Frog pulls the bike into the overgrowth while they do the repairs. Amoretto's throat is sore from all the booming.

"What the hell was that?" says Cass.

"Remember that woman with the orange jumpsuit?" says Frog. He scowls at Amoretto. "It was one of his freak friends."

"This freak just saved your sorry life for a second time this day," says Dell.

"He's bad luck, that's what he is," says Frog.

The Keep crew begin fixing the tyres. Occasionally they glance nervously at the road beyond the trees they're hiding under, but there's no sign of the thing that had attacked them.

Amoretto now has a sore throat.
Amoretto gains +1 tally for exploration.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - What's That Thing?
« Reply #331 on: July 09, 2019, 08:27:21 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*deep breath* *wince* “First off, no idea-” *deep breath* *wince* “-who the hell that was.” *deep breath* *wince* “But I promise-” *deep breath* *wince* “-I am only trying to help.”
*gingerly feeling his throat* “I don’t want to have to do that again for a while. How close are we to where we were trying to get to?”
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 09, 2019, 09:05:07 am »

spend 5 Talies  on new mutation
“I found the knife in the room I was in, I dunno why it was there, maybe someone forgot to pick it up? Where am I right now? If you’re gonna keep me here, can I at least know where I’m being kept?” Hold the knife in a defensive position

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 09, 2019, 09:21:16 am »

Spoiler: El Tigre Picante (click to show/hide)

As he stares at his reflection, El Tigre is taken back, far back, to a time way before he donned the mask...
Spoiler: Fluffy Backstory (click to show/hide)
El Tigre returns to the arena, but he remembers what the man before him wanted to be. Before the days of masks and jumping off ring ropes, his life was all about pasión and tugging on heartstrings. Yes, El Tigre was supposed to be a Telenovela Star!

Spend 5 tallies to add the profession: 'Telenovela Star,' then grill the droid for answers.

"Kidnapped? What is the meaning of this! You!" He points at the drone, "Who, or what, are you? Are you kidnapping people for your tv show? And what the hell is this Kudos I just got?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 09, 2019, 10:02:36 am »

Continuing the soggy journey, Sandeep begins to wonder what's wrong.  This swamp didn't grow overnight, nor did these trees.  Some curious things going on here.

"Oh, that'll make this much easier."

Climb into the canoe.  Look around for a paddle.. and an owner.  Maybe some kind of treehouse?  Maybe a nest in one of the upper floors here?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 09, 2019, 03:59:38 pm »

While Issac wasn't particularly crazy about the unknown religious aspects of the place, and he felt that there was an unseen darkness of sorts upon this place, Issac still figured it would be a relatively secure place for him to be. Figuring that he just wouldn't fit in if he didn't at least learn the fundamentals of the church of the New Millennium.

Issac decided that attending the church services would be a good thing to do right now.

Spoiler: Issac Revero (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Everything is gone to the dogs...
« Reply #336 on: July 09, 2019, 08:36:27 pm »

"So your guild is the only one in the city ruins, or did you mean just this crater? I'm sure you would like to talk about the accomplishments of your guild if it is so great."

Lie with my Silver Tongue to convince them to give me more information, in case they happen to know the gorilla, or are hostile to him.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 10, 2019, 03:25:16 am »

Follow the thing out of the building and see where it goes.
Spoiler: Dr. Goldstine (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Collateral Damage
« Reply #338 on: July 10, 2019, 04:42:16 pm »

Spoiler: Tim Tam (click to show/hide)
Help Sandeep search

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 13, 2019, 07:53:57 am »

Splitting the update into two, as I'm going to go have some lunch. The rest to follow later today.

Hill Bottom
*deep breath* *wince* “First off, no idea-” *deep breath* *wince* “-who the hell that was.” *deep breath* *wince* “But I promise-” *deep breath* *wince* “-I am only trying to help.”
*gingerly feeling his throat* “I don’t want to have to do that again for a while. How close are we to where we were trying to get to?”
"Maybe about a third of the way," says Cass.

"Should be plain sailing now we're back on the main road," says Dell.

"Aw shit," says Cass. She holds out a spanner. "I only went and brought the wrong tool." She points at the bolt on the wheel of the bike. Her spanner is just a bit too wide to fit it. Frog tries and fails to unscrew it by hand.

Dell looks out of the branches. "I hope that thing didn't follow us," he said.

Gated Community
“I found the knife in the room I was in, I dunno why it was there, maybe someone forgot to pick it up? Where am I right now? If you’re gonna keep me here, can I at least know where I’m being kept?” Hold the knife in a defensive position[/b]
[Sandra rolled 3+2+1empathy-1church=5]
Sandra starts talking to the man but as she does something wells up inside her. Dozens of bubbles burst out of her mouth, and she can feel many more welling up inside her.

"ARGH! You're rabid!" shouts the man. "I am not afraid of your disease, you foul creature."

He puts his head down and begins running towards Sandra, preparing to tackle her to the ground.

Sandra gains the mutation:

Bubble Generation
You can blow soapy bubbles at will, from giant single bubbles, to great blasts of frothy foam.

Sandra gains +1 tally for critical failure.

While Issac wasn't particularly crazy about the unknown religious aspects of the place, and he felt that there was an unseen darkness of sorts upon this place, Issac still figured it would be a relatively secure place for him to be. Figuring that he just wouldn't fit in if he didn't at least learn the fundamentals of the church of the New Millennium.

Issac decided that attending the church services would be a good thing to do right now.
[Isaac rolled 6+2+3wits=11]
Isaac sits on the service. The pews are hard and he remains alert throughout. The congregation look pretty anaemic, except for the scrawny children who sit near the front. There are perhaps a hundred people in the church. Father Michael leads the sermon.

"I was going to talk to you today about the trials of faith and the importance of community," he begins, "but after conversation with a new friend, I have decided it is time we talk about haste..."

His sermon is on the subject of how past churches yearned for an apocalyptic end, they yearned for a rapture, they yearned for the coming of Christ. And so they hastened that end. They immanentized the eschaton. But their church should be different. There's should be an end to yearning. They have arrived. It is year 15 since the Second Coming. They are to enjoy 985 years more of the Lord. There is no hurry. While the dead spirits sent from hell may possess machines and animals that come to taunt them, the church grows stronger every day. Every week hundreds of wandering souls attain their bodily immortality, ascending through the Church. All will continue to unfold as per His plan.

Isaac gains +1 tally for uncovering mystery: it is (according to the church of the new millennium) year 15 since the Second Coming.

Arena
Spend 5 tallies to add the profession: 'Telenovela Star,' then grill the droid for answers.

"Kidnapped? What is the meaning of this! You!" He points at the drone, "Who, or what, are you? Are you kidnapping people for your tv show? And what the hell is this Kudos I just got?
[El Tigre rolled 5+5+1empathy+1terraterror=12]
"WE WOULD NOT CALL IT KIDNAPPING... WE MOVED THIS CYBERMORPH FROM ONE LOCATION TO ANOTHER. ITS CONTROLLER IS UNTOUCHED," says one of the drones.

"THEFT AT MOST," says another. "AS FOR KUDOS, YOU NOW HAVE A WHOLE K FROM THE FIGHT. KEEP THIS UP AND YOU CAN UPLOX ON GOOD TERMS."

"The fight has given you some acclaim. Some people care about whether you live or die now. That's all kudos really is. A currency based on popularity," Helen whispers. "I need to get to the local swapshop for repairs. I'm not going to stop you if you want to come along."

Helen starts dragging herself to the Arena exit.

El Tigre gains +1 tally for uncovering mystery: Kudos is a currency based on personal acclaim.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:42:28 pm by notquitethere »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 13, 2019, 08:36:42 am »

Try to stab the man with the knife and try to generate a stream of bubbles heading towards the man’s eyes

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 13, 2019, 09:20:31 am »

Swamp Houses
Climb into the canoe.  Look around for a paddle.. and an owner.  Maybe some kind of treehouse?  Maybe a nest in one of the upper floors here?
Help Sandeep search
[Sandeep rolled 3+6+0body=9]
[Sandeep rolled 5+5+1wits=10]
[Tim Tam rolled 1+2+2wits=5]
Sandeep climbs in the canoe. It wobbles and then suddenly slips out of the tree and lands with a loud crashing branches and a splash in the mud at the base of the tree, a few feet away from the river proper. Sandeep takes a look around, finding a pair of oars attached to the inside of the canoe. He searches about for other kinds of detritus. While there are no treehouses: most of these trees seem to have grown up since the people left, he does find some detritus from the half-submerged houses. A rusty pair of scissors, a plastic funnel, a rubber mallet, a pencil, a dustpan.

As Tim Tam looks around, she sees between the houses, on the remains of a dry road, a woman on motorbike. She's dressed head-to-toe in black leathers. On her head is a silver helmet, the visor lifted up revealing the woman's face inside. Her skin is dark and laced with thick white scars. On her back is a sword and she carries a heavy looking pistol.

"Stop!" she shouts at Tim Tam.

Tim Tam gains +1 tally for critical failure.

Crater
"So your guild is the only one in the city ruins, or did you mean just this crater? I'm sure you would like to talk about the accomplishments of your guild if it is so great."

Lie with my Silver Tongue to convince them to give me more information, in case they happen to know the gorilla, or are hostile to him.
[Isaac rolled 5+1+2weird=8]
Isaac wags his silver tongue. His words shouldn't convince them that he's worth speaking to, but nevertheless they continue divulging information.

"The GML own Norwich," the bear claims.

"We own flipping everything north of Ipswich and east of the flipping Ouse," says the dog. "We sent all those motherflipping Legend guys packing. Soon we'll mop up those castle flippers, kill the gold freaks and then it'll be time to expand back out again."

"There's not much kudos in it," says the bear, "but killing you will at least stop any of those overclocked monkeys getting the points."

The pair of cyberbeasts start padding towards Theodore.

Sidings
Follow the thing out of the building and see where it goes.
[Goldstine rolled 3+2+2wits=7]
Goldstine manages to keep on track of the Red Cap as it slips through the tall weeds of the stadium carpark. It slips northeast through a busted gate into a rail yard. The old trains rot on the sidings, but remarkably the main track seems clear. The weeds are cut off as they converge on the tracks, as if a train has passed over recently.

The Red Cap slips behind a train. Goldstine follows and the thing is nowhere in sight. The veteran medic takes a few cautious steps forward when he hears the sound of heavy iron boots land on the gravel of the sidings behind him.

"Who's your masked friend?" says the Red Cap, levelling his pike at Goldstine. Standing barely four and a half feet tall, its grimy beard reaches down to its knees. Up close, the smell of dried blood is intense.

Goldstine gains +1 tally for exploration.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Gated Community
Try to stab the man with the knife and try to generate a stream of bubbles heading towards the man’s eyes
[Sandra rolls 3+3+1body+1knife=8]
[Sandra rolls 6+2+0weird=8]
The man tackles Sandra and as he does, she slices into his side with the knife. She hits the ground with him over her when there's a bang from inside him and black smoke begins pouring out of his side. The knife grows too hot to handle so she leaves it in him. Spitting bubbles into his eyes, she pushes him off. The man is writhing on the ground, froth covering his eyes. The sound of his internal explosion will surely have raised an alarm somewhere, so Sandra figures she doesn't have long to make her escape.

Sandra no longer has a bread knife.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:25:44 am by notquitethere »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Bubblebeam!
« Reply #342 on: July 13, 2019, 09:36:06 am »

Run downstairs and try to find the exit to whatever building I’m in. Shoot bubbles at anyone who notices me

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 13, 2019, 09:54:04 am »

Gated Community
Run downstairs and try to find the exit to whatever building I’m in. Shoot bubbles at anyone who notices me
[Sandra rolled 3+3+2wits=8]
Sandra slips down the stairs and into a hallway below. She ducks into a kitchen just in time to see someone run past and up the stairs to check on the strange noises from above. She moves out of the house to find herself on the corner of a large green space arranged as a grassy square surrounded by ugly grey terrace houses. Across the square, dozens of people are filing out of a large building. Avenues lead off of the square and Sandra sees they end in a razorwire fence on all sides. There's a tall closed gate in the fence, but no clear way through it.

In front of her is parked the grey faced man's tractor with the flamethrower.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 13, 2019, 10:05:37 am »

Take the scissors and the funnel and push off.  Head west, but slowly.  Tim Tam can run over water to catch up, after all.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44