Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls: Blades  (Read 3630 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Elder Scrolls: Blades
« on: June 07, 2019, 08:35:59 pm »

https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/blades

I couldn't find any other threads for this one. Post a link of shame if I just couldn't find it.

Anyway I just picked it up in Early Access and noted three things:

1) The graphics are quite good for a mobile game.
2) The controls and combat are passable. Solid 5/10.
3) !!! I can either wait a minimum of 1 hour for my main story quest rewards or spend money to get them after I finish the quest. In Early Access.

.....What the hell, Bethesda, there are Korean Knockoff games with less aggressive digs at my wallet. Even EA has more restraint than this.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Elder Scrolls: Blades
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 09:27:06 pm »

Oh, yeah. It’s awful.

I typically err on the forgiving side with game stuff in general and was cautiously excited for this but Blades is such a blatant vehicle for in app purchases.

It doesn’t even feel like it was designed with fun in mind at all. But like every single feature was carefully added to maximize how much money they could squeeze from the players. Not only is it appalling for Bethesda, but compared to any other mobile game it’s just horrifying.
Calling it a “money grab” is a huge understatement
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 10:36:35 pm »

what happened after the release of fallout 4? do you remember it was just a few years ago we got Fallout Shelter as a promo leading up to Fallout 4? i mean, fallout shelter had a little of that micro transaction stuff, but still light compared to most free mobile games. it was fun with profit on the side.

someone sold their soul to the microtransaction demon after that, idk.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 12:40:08 am »

To be frank, I would not expect anything good from Bethesda for a long time, if ever again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46gaz6veVNQ

So this is a video primarily about the TES series, but it goes into good detail about how essentially Bethesda did, in fact, sell its soul to the devil.

tl;dr literally since before Morrowind the company forced out the founding (passionate, indie) developers and was taken over by (what apparently was) a cabal of executives and lawyers who placed much greater value on profitability--oh, and Todd Howard is an absolute piece of shit.

Beth might be late to the game, but due to Zenimax's control they are basically going the way of EA. Sorry folks.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 10:34:02 am »

I remember the response to the announcement being "Haha, good joke. What is the new Elder Scolls game actually going to be." "No we mean it." "Go fuck yourself with a rusty chainsaw."

It might have been an acceptable idea to add as a thing they're making between games (closer to Fallout Shelter), but they announced it as the new Elder Scrolls game, built hype, and then thought this was what an actual game is. The audience at E3 was not impressed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 10:34:57 am »

Holy geez look at the list of executive directors.

https://www.zenimax.com/about

Look at the bottom of the list.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 01:25:49 pm »

Hahaha woow, it just keeps on getting worse.
Yeah. Blades was a shock after Fallout Shelter which was actually a really solid mobile game. Shelter felt like it was designed to be fun, with the option to make money. Blades is... it feels like a glorified shop interface that happens to have a few minigames on the side.

To be frank, I would not expect anything good from Bethesda for a long time, if ever again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46gaz6veVNQ

So this is a video primarily about the TES series, but it goes into good detail about how essentially Bethesda did, in fact, sell its soul to the devil.

tl;dr literally since before Morrowind the company forced out the founding (passionate, indie) developers and was taken over by (what apparently was) a cabal of executives and lawyers who placed much greater value on profitability--oh, and Todd Howard is an absolute piece of shit.

Beth might be late to the game, but due to Zenimax's control they are basically going the way of EA. Sorry folks.
While 76 and Blades isn't a great combination, I wouldn't write off Bethesda just yet. Skyrim was good, Fallout 4 was good. There's the whole "it's growing apart from its roots!" which is indeed a valid stance, but I don't think that can be used to say Bethesda is bad.

Bethesda's... everything, recently will definitely lower potential hype for future releases, but until I get a look at Starfield I don't think they're some awful sold-soul publisher quite yet.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 03:59:18 pm »

Hey guys remember horse armor.

Now it's gonna be this.

Anyway I'm not touching another Bethesda title until I can prove they've rediscovered an ethical center. I learned from Ubisoft and EA that this can take a while to fix, if it ever does. Companies like this are fully aware that they have a loyal fanbase and will exploit my faith for profit.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 10:40:21 pm »

I miss the days when Bethseda just made sandbox RPG's that were mostly only good for applying nude mods. Now that they've sold their soul, I hope some other gaming company will take up the torch...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 08:51:45 am »

While 76 and Blades isn't a great combination, I wouldn't write off Bethesda just yet. Skyrim was good, Fallout 4 was good. There's the whole "it's growing apart from its roots!" which is indeed a valid stance, but I don't think that can be used to say Bethesda is bad.

Bethesda's... everything, recently will definitely lower potential hype for future releases, but until I get a look at Starfield I don't think they're some awful sold-soul publisher quite yet.

The Fallout 4 was also less well-received than Fallout 3, which was mixed. And it sounds like now the newness has worn off, Skyrim is a mixed bag (that needed mods to play, which paid mods killed). Man, remember paid mods?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 01:35:48 pm »

Paid mods ain't going away--and FO4 was definitely not as good as FO3 and the whole base building thing was literally ripped from a popular mod (RTS--Real Time Settler)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 02:40:49 pm »

Yeah I don't really see Bethesda recovering here, though maybe I'm being pessimistic.

They're making money off of their terrible unethical ideas. Frankly the only thing I can do is refuse to give them my money and teach my kid how not to get duped.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 06:12:54 pm »

"It just doesn't work"

-Todd Howard
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 07:24:07 pm »

Spoken like a true member of a non-existent high school chess club

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 09:04:51 pm »

Anyone surprised at this being  a shitty amoral cash grab hasn't been paying attention, TBH.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2 3