Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: The End Times: Turn 1  (Read 6363 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The End Times: 5 out of 5 civs, 0/3 barbarians
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 11:01:12 am »

Oh I got a idea for a Barbarian Race/write up if that’s ok?

I doubt that Get cities being they are roving hordes.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 01:02:19 pm »

They get a single city. I used the term barbarian as shorthand for “less civilized”

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 01:07:07 pm »

Ah that's rather unfortunate. One city AND no magic? That's a significant handicap indeed. And wouldn't work with what I was thinking of going with. Guess I'll think of something else.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 01:46:12 pm »

Don’t worry Robo, he reserved you as a primary civ.

EDIT: Also, I see the OP has been edited with mechanics. I’d like to request that my archers be flavored as riflemen or something similar, because artifice.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:48:48 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 01:57:07 pm »

Given our focus, we should have good gear.

Note that the magic development went Elementalism(Pre-Atlantis)> Sympathy Forging> Leyline Manipulation/Ritual> Magic Forging/Artificial Leyline Foundation> Mass Ritual Magic. With circles, lines, and magical equations buried in there. And our Elementalism being Water/Earth/Plants mostly due to development over the ages.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 02:44:43 pm »

Don’t worry Robo, he reserved you as a primary civ.

I will make sure to make my sheet worth this kindness.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 05:02:58 pm »

(Sure, I'll make some barbarians. Work in progress.)

[This document has been approved by the Holy Chiropteran Ministry of Knowledge. Turn in any contradicting documents to the Holy Chiropteran Ministry of Knowledge for destruction.]
The Holy Chiropteran Empire
A long time ago, long before even the sinking of Atlantis, the bat-god Quipata was exiled from the deepest earth and incarnated to become the first emperor. Back then, the bats were nothing but wild beasts; though Quipata tried to teach them of the modern ways, they wouldn't learn even to speak well enough to voice their lack of understanding. In divine wisdom, Quipata gave away the spark of divinity to found the Empire. Though this made Quipata mortal, the bats were now intelligent and crafty, and under Quipata's three-thousand-year-rule, built Ssquikrak to become the seat of the Empire. Ever since Quipata's death, the most divine direct descendants have chosen one among them to lead the Empire into ever-greater success.

The Chiropteran race also commonly known as bats consists of the usual two sexes, male and female, as well as three castes which also form social strata:
The Drones (850000 per million) are those in whom the spark of divinity is but a tiny flame. Though often mentally lacking, they are strong and obedient, and thus excellent for menial labour such as insect-farming.
The Freebats (149800 per million) are the class of handy craftsbats, charismatic merchants and the finest soldiers upon this world.
The Priests (200 per million) are the near-divine descendants of Quipata who guide the Empire to ever-greater glory. To preserve the spark, they do not breed with the other castes and only eat the finest essences of life.

The Imperial City of Ssquikrak (pop. ca. 36130000) is the largest and most pious city in the world.
So you're a theocratic 1984-esque police state populated by sapient-but-otherwise-normal bats? Nice.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 05:11:26 pm »

Work in progress. I'll get into depth later, including the biology of not-quite normal bats. But yes, I'm making a terrible place to live in.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 05:32:09 pm »

Barbarbians:

Name: The Aragami Horde.

Race: Aragami: These Creatures are part Animal, Plant, And Mineral. They are 4-8 feet tall, reptilian with names of tendrils that do not move. A carapace of green, silver, or gold. They have two main organs which are Gem Stones. Their cardiac system. Looks akin to tron lines. Glow of lines are blue, red, or purple.

They are hardy, strong, faster and reproduce asexually. They “shed” and pods fall off into the soil to root and grow. The richer the soul, the faster the growth process.

Story: Savage magic critters who are in early iron working.

City: Magna-De Col:

In their language means land of Glow. They live in the wilderness, bordering a jungle and rich volcanic system. They are figuring out metal working and keep to themselves. Though the biggest, strongest and smartest can feel something is up. So it’s time to act. Due to plant thing they can live off sun, air, water, and dirt. Though can eat other material for pleasure and bulking up. So cheap to maintain army.

Culture: Warrior culture where the strongest and smartest get the best.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:35:19 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 10:44:41 am »

Units.                                                  Barbarian: D4 land combat
Basic tech Archer: D4 land support 4CP
warrior: D6 land combat 2CP
Horseman:D6 land combat cavalry 5CP
Galley: 1d8 water combat 8CP

T1 Crossbowman: D6 land support 6CP
soldier: D8 land combat 5CP
Cavalry: D8 land combat 7CP
Galleon: 1d10 water support 10CP

T2 Musketeers: D8 land support 8CP.
  Blade masters: D10 7CP land combat
Ironclad: D12  water support  13 CP
Knight: D10 land combat cavalry 10CP

Racial bonuses:
The Three: Tribal Strength: +8 unrest cap
Mage abilities: Runecraft: in cities with a mage unit, for 3 CP you get a rune set, which can be consumed for a d6 combat bonus in any combat, or a d10 in a combat by a mage
Weakness: short-lived: +2 zombies in army of the dead disaster.

Adjilla Coalition: Historical pride: +1 militia in an attack
Mage ability: Artifice: Cities with mages can produce musketeers, and magic foundries, a unique infrastructure (10CP mages in the city produce +3CP)
Weakness: Racial divides: unrest builds twice as quick

Atlantians: aquatic adaptations: all land units are considered water and land units, as well as defense combat is at a+1
Mage abilities: Mass Ritual: a mage stationed in a city can give a d4 bonus to any combat.
Weakness: Aquatic adaptation: on land the armies are at -1

Gardener Beetle:Hive minded: Any morale weakening things have no effect
Mage ability: Chloromancy:mages stationed in a city  provide +1 population cap
Weakness: Youngest of the Races: +1 turn to research

Consolidation: Frostborne: galleys are at -2 to base CP
Mage ability: Elemental Magic: any combat mages take part in, the Consolidation gets a free D6
Weakness: isolationist policy: any non-native units cannot help in combat
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:37:49 am by TheRedwolf »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 04:57:54 pm »

Though records from before Quipata's ascension show bats as small rodents, the divine spark has made the bats over half as tall as humans, far more intelligent than atlantians, and much better fliers than incilatro. Bats have excellent eyesight, but the gift of echolocation allows easy navigation even in pitch darkness, as well as communication unable to be heard by lesser races.
"Sir, it's those arrogant bat assholes again."
*sigh* "Get out the flamethrowers."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 05:17:52 pm »

Don't forget that looking at a bright light, such as your flamethrower's fire, makes you night-blind, to say nothing of the smoke from burning bats. The next wave will have an advantageous position. Who'd have thought of combining flesh wave and guerrilla tactics?

Also, those comparisons are probably mostly propaganda. Did you notice the references to real life history, by the way?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 05:32:00 pm »

Mostly my impression was Aztecs, and yeah, I know it's propaganda. You should probably give a section detailing the actual situation, though, so that TheRedwolf actually knows what to do with your people.

And night blindness doesn't matter if you've covered the area in spotlights ;)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 11:35:45 pm »

Name: The Norther Consociation

Region: The Consolidation covers a vast area in the north of the world. It includes vast cold boreal forests of giant trees, volcanic prairies, super sized mountain ranges, and wide expanses of permafrost and ice sheets.

Races:

Giants: A collection of giants represents the first third of the Consociation. From the massive frost giants (50ft) which herd giant bison across the permafrost, to the earth giants building massive underground halls deeper in the earth than any of the small races could ever reach (60ft), the forest giants which tend to the far reaching boreal forests (40ft), and lastly the High Giants (20ft) which live in massive cities which connect the different giant clans and their mortal allies. Of these, the majority of giants in the cities are High Giants, though the others are not uncommon.

Orikai: These white skinned hulks stand as tall as the High Giants, but boast two sets of pointed ears, four strong arms, and tusks protruding from their mouths. Like frost giants, they are immune to cold, and spend much of their time swimming in the artic waters, hunting whales in their natural habitat. They can hold their breath for over an hour. When they arrived from distant lands, the Giants acknowledged their strength and distant relation, encorporating them into the Consociation. Like the High Giants, they live mostly in cities. While many who have never met a giant think them to be slow, one would be surprised that they are, on average, more intelligent than humans.

Dwarikai: The final race in the Consociation is the Dwarikai. These are ten foot tall humanoids of fire, flesh, and stone. In ancient history, these giants delved too deep and we're trapped in hell. Thir magic was not enough to hold back the demons, sp they built a bastion of mechanical might, powered by the lava and their control over fire. For a thousand years they held the line, but eventually they we're overwhelmed and forced to abandon their city. They built a massive ship and sailed the magma sea to the surface, flooding their ancestral home, killing demons and those still inside alike. They were taken in by their distant kin. Their arrival has led to a huge change in giant society, the introduction of machinery. Their control over fire has allowed them to forge and power their machines as they attempt to adapt to this new strange world near and above the surface.

Arkroad (Capitol):
A giant caldera. Three of its broken peaks reach the sky, and the bowl shape protects the city within from the elements. In the center is a magma pit which reaches to the magma sea. It is said that the frost giants descended from the heaven, and the Dwarikai climbed up from hell, meeting here. That connection is the Arkroad. It is a city of welcomeness. Much of the inner city is mechanized and metallic, descending far into the earth. Dwarikai and Mountain Giants tend to live in the center, while frost giant, Orakai and forest giants live around the rim and the exterior in the great plains and forests nearby. High Giants are not uncommon here, but not nearly as prevalent as in other cities.

Iceport
A large port on an icy penensal peninsula. The ice and rocks here exhibit purplish streaks which glow during the long winter months. This made it an idea port year round. This is the main Orikai city, and they compose nearly seventy percent of the population. The rest is is mostly Frosst and High Giants. Massive ships frequent here, and it is the major way that goods are brought into the Giant realms from the outside world. Here whale wrestlers often gather to hunt the beasts beneath the waves.

Wide Reach:
A massive city in the edgr of the wild volcanic prairies and endless boreal forests. Most of the population is Forest Giants and High giants. It is surrounded by farms for miles and miles, and the forest giants have built massive wood and stone buildings here and in the surrounding area. It is less technologically advanced than the other cities, mostly being devoted to food and lumber production.

New Zarakai
The main Dwarikai settlement, it is the smallest of the Giant settlements. Located near the southern border of their lands, this mechanical fortress rests atop a mountain looking over the lands of the small races. It contains the gates which lead into the lands of the giants. A massive door built in the valley between two mountains. It is a technologically advanced city composed of stone, metal, and machinery. It is the safest way into giant lands, for those who are allowed past the guards. Most of its population is Dwarikai, Mountain Giants, and High Giants.

Culture:
Giant culture is one of harsh principals. They are a philosophical and generally reclusive people. Rarely do they leave their lands and journey into the world of the small folk. This spawns rumors in the lands of men which are mostly untrue. The Giants are rather intelligent, yet their harsh conditions prevent many from pursuing education. Still, they have a great appreciation for the arts, especially painting, theater, and poetry. They can often be heard talking philosophy and morals. Of course, the Dwarikai are often the exception to this. They have less of an emphasis on philosophy and tradition, and are much more interested in science and technology, though they carry on many traditions of their homeland. The High Giants care the most about culture, art and philosophy. They are also much more socialable and merchantile than the others of their race. They are often the only giants who will venture south, except in times of war when the Giant horses ride south like a blizzard of ice and fire.

Magic: Elemental Spirit Magic
The Giants are an ancient race and they still remember the days when the great spirits roamed the lands. Now the most powerful spirits have been slain or slumber. The Giants are deeply in tune with these sleeping or dead spirits, as well as those which still live about the earth. Long ago the giants devoured the spirits and gained their powers over the elements. Fire, earth, water, air and nature each belong to one of the five races of giants, with each of them having control of their element. The mountain giants use theirs to mine the earth and build their giant cities. The Dwarikai use theirs to forge their weapons and fuel their machines. The Orakai use theirs to move with ease through the water, while the Frost giants use their power over water to keep their crops alive. The High Giants use their power over wind to sail the seas and lastly the forest giants tend to the trees with their power over plants.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:07:25 am by Roboson »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 11:39:20 pm »

...I'd like to note that the reason that I included industrialization and mechanics in my stuff was because my guys were using artifice, which is specifically magic engineering/engineering magic. Your stuff is... not that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10