Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43

Author Topic: Power Hungry Mafia 2 - Game over, SK team wins  (Read 76278 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Power Hungry Mafia 2 - D1 Start!
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2019, 05:45:08 pm »

DA

I guess I'm going to lay out my reasoning for my vote here: currently Spin is the best scum-lead. If he flips town after being lynched then we'll know that Tric's inspections can't be trusted, whether because he's scum or because his inspections are faulty. If Spin flips scum then I guess we'll know who any doctors should be protecting tonight.

It disturbs me you appear happy with this being the totality of D1.
Laying out the logic for me supporting a lynch candidate means that I don't want anything else to happen during the day?
What else do you think you can do today having revealed your position already?

What do you think you'll be able to divine about people forming positions from a guilty result revealed before everyone had posted?

PPE: TricMagic

Because I wished to know if they were town. [1]If so, I'd know who not to vote for this day, and be able to lay low for the rest of it, hunting others. [2]After which, I could spend an inspect Day 2 on one of you. That is my reasoning on my choice of MaxSpin.

[1]How can you lay low and hunt at the same time?

What would you lay low for?

How is revealing you have an inspect and a guilty result laying low?

[1]Don't say anything about the inspect at all.

This is the problem, man. You say you wanted to lay low and were like "I CAN INSPECT AND HAVE A GUILTY RESULT" which is the exact opposite of laying low, so laying low didn't enter into your logic.

Despite this not being a reasonable response for any of the questions I asked, I guess it'll do.

[2]Why not spend an inspect on one of us on D1 if you were thinking about doing it later anyway?

[2]Inspecting one of you two does not help with an action I perform without any existing posts. MaxSpin meanwhile, is someone I wanted to check first to get him out of the way, since he is a vet too. You two tend to play off each other, and if I knew one of you was town, that would not help me with the other when you fought. You could be town too, is the process involved in that.

MaxSpin and I didn't interact at all in the last game, beyond my vote on him at the end of D1, which was made so I wouldn't get lynched. Where do you get that he and I play off one another?

How does knowing the alignment of one of us help with figuring out the alignment of the second, knowing that town!either of us won't know the alignment of the other, and scum!either of us is trying to show that we don't know the alignment of the other?

Are you just trying to justify your actions after the fact, and just used random.org to choose your target as well as your RVS vote?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2019, 05:46:40 pm »

IcyTea
How long do you think he should have withheld his inspection result for?
As the final nail in Spin's coffin after a well-executed D1 that also reveals his scumbuddies trying to defend him.
And claiming his role at the start of the day as the basis for his case stops Spin's scumbuddies from trying to defend him why, exactly? I'm honestly not sure what kind of D1 case could be made that would accomplish this in the first place, though.

If a cop with a normal inspect found scum on N1, would you also be advocating for them to not claim that result until close to the end of D2?

I guess I'm going to lay out my reasoning for my vote here: currently Spin is the best scum-lead. If he flips town after being lynched then we'll know that Tric's inspections can't be trusted, whether because he's scum or because his inspections are faulty. If Spin flips scum then I guess we'll know who any doctors should be protecting tonight.
And what on D2, especially if Tric doesn't survive the night? What would you do then, that you can't do now?
Act on known information based on Spin's flip and how people interacted with Tric's claim? Use all the juicy role powers that I might also have in the meantime? I'm not calling for people to stop talking until the end of the day, I'm stating my reasoning for my vote.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2019, 05:47:27 pm »

Superdorf: What is your opinion on Tric claiming to have investigated Spin and gotten scum?

I'm, uh, processing that now. I'll be honest, I just skimmed this thing for my own name on the first read, and didn't see the whole TricMagic thing 'til I was already writing up questions. Gimme a sec, I'll try and weigh in on that mess...
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2019, 05:48:19 pm »

Queued day actions have been processed.

Day will end Thursday May 23rd, 1:30 PM Central Time.  Weekends don't count.

Vote Count
------------------------
(0)Superdorf -
(0)TricMagic -
(1)IcyTea31 - hector13
(0)Nirur Torir -
(0)Persus13 -
(0)hector13 -
(3)Maximum Spin - TricMagic, notquitethere, Deus Asmoth
(0)KitRougard -
(0)kingawsume -
(0)randomgenericusername -
(0)Deus Asmoth -
(1)notquitethere - Nirur Torir
(0)No Lynch -

Not Voting - Superdorf, IcyTea31, Persus13, Maximum Spin, KitRougard, kingawsume, randomgenericusername

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2019, 05:52:25 pm »

hector
DA

Laying out the logic for me supporting a lynch candidate means that I don't want anything else to happen during the day?

What do you think you'll be able to divine about people forming positions from a guilty result revealed before everyone had posted?
Are you saying you haven't revealed your position or something? I can continue doing exactly what I'm doing at the minute; ie. interacting with people about their reaction to the claim. It's refreshing to skip over RVS, to be honest. This is also a reason that your second question doesn't make a huge amount of sense. If Tric had waited until the day was half-done to claim his result what more do you think would have happened? Because my bet would be a lot of RVS stuff, followed by people talking about Tric's claim in pretty much exactly the same way that they're doing right now.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2019, 05:58:59 pm »

Right.. Hector, at this point, I am not one to insult your intelligence. Mostly cause you seem to conveniently step around the holes in the swiss cheese and call it Cheddar.

Because I wished to know if they were town. [1]If so, I'd know who not to vote for this day, and be able to lay low for the rest of it, hunting others. [2]After which, I could spend an inspect Day 2 on one of you. That is my reasoning on my choice of MaxSpin.

This is the problem, man. You say you wanted to lay low and were like "I CAN INSPECT AND HAVE A GUILTY RESULT" which is the exact opposite of laying low, so laying low didn't enter into your logic.

Despite this not being a reasonable response for any of the questions I asked, I guess it'll do.

First, I strike the numbers you put in my quote. And look, your questions suddenly don't make sense, as the answer to the first was the very quote you split apart. You say it does not make sense, but the sentence together paints a hypothetical scenario where I received a Town result, not a Mafia result. This also applies to the other Number 1 in the quote above, hypothetical town result.

[2]Why not spend an inspect on one of us on D1 if you were thinking about doing it later anyway?

[2]Inspecting one of you two does not help with an action I perform without any existing posts. MaxSpin meanwhile, is someone I wanted to check first to get him out of the way, since he is a vet too. You two tend to play off each other, and if I knew one of you was town, that would not help me with the other when you fought. You could be town too, is the process involved in that.

MaxSpin and I didn't interact at all in the last game, beyond my vote on him at the end of D1, which was made so I wouldn't get lynched. Where do you get that he and I play off one another?

How does knowing the alignment of one of us help with figuring out the alignment of the second, knowing that town!either of us won't know the alignment of the other, and scum!either of us is trying to show that we don't know the alignment of the other?

Are you just trying to justify your actions after the fact, and just used random.org to choose your target as well as your RVS vote?

And this is just ignoring the fact that your and IcyTea often end up against each other. It's hard to tell if it's theater or genuine town play sometimes.. And if so, which one? Or are you both town..

Fun Fact! You completely ignore my Answer's structure. See formatting and the Italics.

Note to ninjas, this is a post to hector's post.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2019, 06:03:21 pm »

I'm going to be busy until tomorrow, and I wasn't expecting this to start off today.

TricMagic: Why did you decide to lead with that? Why do expect to trust that?

notquitethere: I've got no clue what you're talking about.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2019, 06:04:02 pm »

Found an extra question from TricMagic:

What are you game Plans this game. Obvious posts, lurking, focusing on Day Game, Focusing on Night Game? Let's hear it?

I intend to question people over their posts often and repeatedly, speaking with as much transparency and confidence as I possibly can. How else?

klonk
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2019, 06:07:48 pm »

hector
DA

Are you saying you haven't revealed your position or something? I can continue doing exactly what I'm doing at the minute; ie. interacting with people about their reaction to the claim. It's refreshing to skip over RVS, to be honest. This is also a reason that your second question doesn't make a huge amount of sense. If Tric had waited until the day was half-done to claim his result what more do you think would have happened? Because my bet would be a lot of RVS stuff, followed by people talking about Tric's claim in pretty much exactly the same way that they're doing right now.

What do you think my position tells you about me, perhaps also in the light of IcyTea apparently sharing it?

Yeah RVS is shit, but 4 people had posted prior to Tric's revelation. It allows scum to come in and react to it after preparation without any sort of basis about their mindset prior to it, which means they can hide in the noise of everyone wtf'ing that someone would reveal cop D1, guilty result or not.

PPE: Tric... what

*sigh*

New post for that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2019, 06:08:23 pm »

Were you planing on hunting him specifically?
In the unlikely case that I had done as you did and used my inspect right out of the gate, yes.

In a 12 person game, would it even occur in that manner?
I'm not sure what you mean. What does the player count have to do with anything?

Wouldn't it be likely someone else would end up the target of the lynch?
Not if you scumhunted properly and convincingly. Mechanically knowing someone is scum makes it very easy to do. Ideally, you wouldn't even need to claim.

And what if that other lynch target would also be clear scum? You could lynch them, and at the last minute reveal that you know their buddy, giving town a clear lead for D2.

And how do you suggest I survive Maxspin and his Mafia Buddies from just deciding to kill me during the day?
By acting like any other scumhunting townie and not claiming cop immediately.

Sadly, this is all hypothetical and what's done is done. I'd still like to hear from Spin before the lynch.

It's hard to tell if it's theater or genuine town play sometimes.. And if so, which one? Or are you both town..
All the world's a stage.

And claiming his role at the start of the day as the basis for his case stops Spin's scumbuddies from trying to defend him why, exactly?
Fighting against a mechanical case is hard, and scum loves to bus. It's much easier to hide and just go along with the lynch. D1 cases are usually behavioural rather than mechanical, and are easier to defend against. The plan is to attack the known scum with a soft case, see who jumps in to defend, and then nail it down with the hard case if necessary. The scumbuddies lose towncred and are clear targets for the next day.

I'm honestly not sure what kind of D1 case could be made that would accomplish this in the first place, though.
The same D1 case you always make, only this time you know for sure that you're right and thus can build a more confident case.

If a cop with a normal inspect found scum on N1, would you also be advocating for them to not claim that result until close to the end of D2?
In my opinion, a cop should milk their results for as much information as possible, and if possible, not claim them at all unless it completely wins the game. Claiming should always be the nuclear option. If your copping looks like normal scumhunting that just happened to be effective, you're a less likely target for scum kills.

Act on known information based on Spin's flip and how people interacted with Tric's claim?
That second part, there. That's the part about nailing the scumbuddies too that I've been talking about. Just replace "Tric's claim" with "Tric's soft case" and you've got just as good a starting point that doesn't involve an overt cop.

One hypothetical I'm worried about is the one where Spin is mafia and Tric is an SK. In this setup, catching mafia with a mechanical case actually isn't a concrete towntell, since abilities are drawn from the same pool for all alignments.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2019, 06:09:09 pm »

I'm going to be busy until tomorrow, and I wasn't expecting this to start off today.

TricMagic: Why did you decide to lead with that? Why do expect to trust that?

notquitethere: I've got no clue what you're talking about.

Haven't I answered that already? Read the thread for the fuller answer, but this is a randomized game. Day Kills are a possible thing, and Mafia have other Mafia, which increases the chance of them having such a power. And I'm either a Friend, or Nosy. I didn't see any other in my skim that does that, and putting together a block of friends is not something any third-party would want, sans cultists, and they don't count.

Double Ninja.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2019, 06:16:53 pm »

Icytea~

Just posting this for later on.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2019, 06:23:31 pm »

Maximum Spin: Did you in fact receive TricMagic's alignment?

notquitethere: Did you believe there to be hammers in this game when you voted Max earlier? If so, why'd you want to hammer so very soon?

klonk
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2019, 07:02:49 pm »

Right.. Hector, at this point, I am not one to insult your intelligence. Mostly cause you seem to conveniently step around the holes in the swiss cheese and call it Cheddar.

First, I strike the numbers you put in my quote. And look, your questions suddenly don't make sense, as the answer to the first was the very quote you split apart. You say it does not make sense, but the sentence together paints a hypothetical scenario where I received a Town result, not a Mafia result. This also applies to the other Number 1 in the quote above, hypothetical town result.

Right. I separated them because I wanted to keep things contextual. You were apparently responding to the questions I asked in [1] so I wanted to keep them together, and respond to the two parts of [1] and [2] separately.

For part [1]: there was no hypothetical, I don't understand where you got that. Let's break this bit down further:

- The part before the [1] in the first portion is you responding to me asking why you targeted MaxSpin. This implies you were expecting a Town result on MaxSpin.

- The first question of the three is asking how you can lay low and hunt at the same time, positions I consider mutually exclusive.

This question refers to you seemingly implying you expected a Town result on MaxSpin, and you thinking this would allow you to focus elsewhere, while lying low. Given I think lying low and scumhunting are incompatible, I asked about it.

- The second question of [1] is asking why you would lay low, following on from the first part in that you seemed interested in finding scum, which - again - I think is incompatible with lying low.

- The third question of [1] is asking how revealing you have an inspect and a guilty result would achieve your stated position of lying low.

- [2] is asking why you didn't just inspect one of us, refering to me, IcyTea, NQT, and Persus, as we are the most experienced players in the game, and it makes sense to me to clear (or not) a vet - an experienced player who is familiar with the forum and can be effective as any alignment - as opposed to a not-vet. I think MaxSpin is a not-vet, because his meta, from what I've seen, is not conducive to effective play as any alignment.

This question was prompted by you saying you were thinking you would inspect one of us (me, IcyTea, NQT, Persus) after MaxSpin, so I asked why you didn't just inspect one of us first. I asked this because I thought it would make more sense to clear (or otherwise) a player that is going to be effective, and I don't think MaxSpin is effective, at least not on D1 if the last game is anything to go by.

And this is just ignoring the fact that your and IcyTea often end up against each other. It's hard to tell if it's theater or genuine town play sometimes.. And if so, which one? Or are you both town..

Fun Fact! You completely ignore my Answer's structure. See formatting and the Italics.

Okay. I am not a mind-reader, and you seem to expect this of me even though I asked about 5 different people and you refer off-hand to me and one of them with "you two".

I thought you meant MaxSpin, but evidently you meant IcyTea. Please clarify:

[2]Inspecting one of you two does not help with an action I perform without any existing posts.

The above refers to IcyTea and myself?

MaxSpin meanwhile, is someone I wanted to check first to get him out of the way, since he is a vet too.

This is a separate aside to the previous, underlined section?

You two tend to play off each other, and if I knew one of you was town, that would not help me with the other when you fought. You could be town too, is the process involved in that.

This is about IcyTea and me again?

- Regardless of the responses, why reduce the four players I mentioned down to two?

- If you did mean IcyTea and me, why us two specifically?

I think I have done a good job of clarifying what I meant and it still comes out as a wall of text fuuuuu- but I am open to the possibility I didn't.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2019, 07:36:22 pm »

I don't quite consider either of NQT or Persus vets, mostly cause I usually play with you three since arriving here. Don't know NQT other than as a GM.

Lying low, while hunting. Paradoxial as it may seem, IcyTea seems to suggest it by using the info for a softcase against them. For some reason. Even though the only roles I know that give alignment to another in this game are not things mafia wants in this game.

And yes, I was kinda expecting a town reveal going into that inspect, and it was to verify that when he played expecting to be lynched day 1. Better to know whether or not to, and go from there.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43