Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: YouTube modding tutorials?  (Read 1293 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
YouTube modding tutorials?
« on: May 20, 2019, 06:43:52 am »

Can anyone recommend any good Youtube modding tutorials? Specifically one for creating custom materials, body parts and body plans for creatures? Basically creating a completely unique custom creature from the ground up.

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: YouTube modding tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 12:39:50 pm »

Can anyone recommend any good Youtube modding tutorials? Specifically one for creating custom materials, body parts and body plans for creatures? Basically creating a completely unique custom creature from the ground up.

Hmm, to my knowledge there aren't any.
However, if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 01:01:16 pm »

Yeah, there aren't any.

It's an interesting idea, though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 01:05:44 pm »

Hmm, to my knowledge there aren't any.
However, if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

I would like to try and make some weird creature/race mods but am not sure where to start. For example, I had an idea to make a candy kingdom civ similiar to adventure time (donut people, gum drop people, popsicle people, etc.) to really learn the material and body plan system, but I dont really know where to start when making a popsicle man or donut man, for example. Would I start by making a new material (fudge popsicle) somewhere in the raws and then apply that material to a new body plan? Would the material have a low melting point or would that be just part of the creature homeotherm tag. Is that body plan defined in the creature file or another raw? etc. I guess I just have a bunch of questions about the entire process that I was hoping was explained somewhere. Is it create new material file, create new body plan file and then create the new creature file or is there something I am missing? Is there anything that a creature has to have to live (brain, lungs, heart, joints/nerves, spine, etc.)? Can these parts be made out of fudge popsicle or donut too or do they have to be real organs?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 03:00:24 pm »

There is a beginners guide to modding on the wiki. Not sure how up to date it is, but I just quickly skimmed it and it seems someone put a lot of work into it. I'd start there

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 09:55:14 am »

Popcicle man recipe book

A popsicle man nigh identical to the average human, except for one minor detail: they're made out of popsicle.

First, you would create the fudge popsicle material. It would have a somewhat low melting point, enough so that it would melt in a temperate environment and be very fragile. This will cause the popsicle man to experience incredible pain upon standing in a warm place for too long.

Secondly, I would suggest that you make a copy of the bronze colossus raws to get an idea of how to make a non-biological creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And remove/change any tags your creature shouldn't possess, things such as [MEGABEAST], [LAIR], [SPHERE], [BODY_SIZE] and [POWER]. Once you've striped down the bronze colossus and changed the name and description and all the jazz, you'll want to replace the material that the creature is made of.
To do that you'll need to change the [TISSUE: BRONZE] and [TISSUE_LAYER] tags to match the name of your popsicle material. Once you've done that you're pretty much done as far as simply making the creature.

After that, you'll want to add flavor.
Things such as setting them to the right hypotherm value and changing their spawn biome to glacier I think you can figure out.
You'll also probably want them to be able to speak, so you'll want to borrow a language file.

As far as your next questions, technically a creature only needs a [THOUGHTCENTER] to live, which can be circumnavigated by adding the [NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT] tag, which the bronze colossus already has.
If you don't say it needs organs, it doesn't need them, and even if you make organs out of fire they'll still function just as good as flesh.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 10:54:01 am »

awesome thanks. I will work on this :)

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 03:58:39 pm »

No more questions I suppose?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 04:06:42 pm »

Not at the moment thanks. I started working on a goatman civ (that is less complex than these candy people) to be a much harder enemy/seiger than the vanilla goblins, but will tackle these various candy creatures soon. I'm sure I will come up with some more questions once I get into it lol

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 11:12:52 pm »

I was considering making one, but i dont have the charismatic voice for tutorials i think, and a tutorial on how to do something like that would be boring as sin.
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 05:56:56 am »

I was considering making one, but i dont have the charismatic voice for tutorials i think, and a tutorial on how to do something like that would be boring as sin.

I would watch it. It doesnt have to be exciting if it's educational, but if you want to spice it up, you could make a joke mod or something ridiculous. Dwarven Beer monster made out of beer that gets dwarves instantly drunk on contact, etc.

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 04:18:40 pm »

Something is better than nothing! Everyone youtuber/podcaster starts out bad, but with practice people get better.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 11:20:54 am »

I kind of hate youtube tutorials, but I'm fully willing to make them since obviously my own ideas of what's good aren't the whole story. I've some experience in narrated videos, but mostly mine're kind of lame.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:15:41 pm by Putnam »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 02:16:55 pm »

I think it would be helpful. Could do one on interactions and syndromes, another on material and tissues, another on reactions and workshops, another on castes, etc