Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf removes floor and falls to their death.  (Read 1117 times)

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf removes floor and falls to their death.
« on: May 19, 2019, 09:38:24 pm »

So, I rolled up a new fort and my first winter had come around. I was going a different route and had built a grand stair with a central column (3x3 'doughnut' of up/down stairs with a floor in the middle for a statue {to be added at a later date}) and five tile wide gaps all around. Cave adaption is a serious problem for me in the newer versions so I dug the whole thing down several Z-levels to make the whole stair 'outside' and then rebuilt the column with stone. The plan was to build bridges between the column and the walls for access and the ability to cut off each floor from the column with a lever pull should something wicked manage to get inside. I had built some single tile wide floors between the column and the walls for temporary access until I had time for bridges. Well, that time had come and I sent my carpenter up to remove one of the temporary wooden floors. Now, I was very smart, only telling him to remove the farthest tile of the floor and not the whole thing. I watch him as he dutifully removed the floor and was going to designate the next tile once he finished. Upon finishing he vanished like a fart in the wind. There was no cave in and the other 4 floor tiles remained in place. Knowing how this kind of thing goes I checked the bottom of the pit. Sure enough, a fresh corpse was waiting for me. The combat log only records the fall damage. The body, his possessions, and the log are all on the same tile. Did this tard drop the log and go diving after it or did something else happen?

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf removes floor and falls to their death.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 04:59:29 am »

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know what that dwarves intellect stat was?

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 11:49:31 pm »

Nope. He was a fairly new migrant. That said, probably pretty low considering I had zero problems with removing any of the other temporary bridges.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 02:30:09 pm »

Whatever happened, the dwarf's stats shouldn't have had anything to do with it.

You say you were watching him do it, so was he actively standing on the floor tile he was removing?  Normally they stand next to tiles they're removing so things like this don't happen.  If there were walkable tiles next to it then I'm not sure why he'd have done that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 04:58:11 pm »

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know what that dwarves intellect stat was?

In the future, intellect stats might reduce or increase the chances of dwarves doing dumb shit. However, for now the AI acts the same way around removing constructions (and building them).

Dwarf stats do, however, affect whether a dwarf charges into combat or runs away, even when unarmed.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 06:39:10 pm »

There's a known bug where a dwarf will be "swapped" onto a tile being removed. Since it requires cross-traffic, it generally only happens on the first tile or two (but pets and free-range cats can cause problems anytime). If you are paying attention, canceling the removal will prevent the fall, and redesignating it after the worker leaves will allow your dwarves another chance to do it right. For high-traffic routes, you may need to block the traffic (e.g. lock a door) to prevent swaps.