Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes or No

Yes
No
Maybe

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24

Author Topic: The Doom of Doomhollow - Year 10 - [Finished]  (Read 53894 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Doomhollow - Year 9 - (Overseers Wanted)
« Reply #285 on: March 17, 2020, 12:15:49 pm »

Sorry for the slow past couple of days. Corona-chan forced me to spend a couple of days packing up the entire contents of the college dorm room. I have still been playing the game and have notes and screenshots prepared. I will give you guys some updates soon.

No problem, I expect we might get alot of updates these next few months with Corona-Chan running free
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 17, 2020, 03:29:17 pm »

Events of 10 Felsite, 508

"You can't do this to me! Let go of me, you bastards!"

The baroness' arms were held tightly by members of the guard. Just a few minutes earlier she had been sleeping in her bedroom when the door was suddenly kicked in by the soldiers. She was hardly aware of what was going on as she looked around the room, but was awake enough to realize that four crossbows were pointed right at her. When two more guards came in and forced her out of bed and began to tie her hands together, she began to loudly protest.

"I am a noble! You have no right to treat me this way!" she screamed as they led her out into the hallway. The baroness stopped her yelling when she saw nine other dwarves similarly-bound waiting there for her. Some of them were snarling at the guards, others weeping bitterly, and others still just staring blankly into space. It was clear that the guards had already been busy that night before they had reached her.

The baroness was lined up among the riffraff and the captain of the guard stood before them. She read quickly and emotionlessly from a crumpled-up scroll she retrieved from her cloak pocket: "Whereas all of you have demonstrated, from your violent behavior and willingness to commit physical violence against your fellow dwarf, from your proclivity towards depression and insanity, that you are a threat to the health and wellbeing of yourselves as well as the fortress and all its dwarves, it is so ordered that, by the power invested in me by His Majesty, the king, you are to be transported into the Underlook until are deemed to have made a full recovery." The captain returned the scroll to her pocket and motioned to her troops to begin moving the dwarves.

They group was led down hundreds of flights of stairs, deep into the earth and far beneath the fortress. The only company they had was from the occasional furnace worker making a similar trip down the stairs that would take them even deeper still to all the magma furnaces, though these workers said nothing to the group and tended to avert their eyes. When they finally reached their destination, the guards undid the bindings on each dwarf and forced them all into a large room. When the last dwarf, the baroness, was thrown in, the door was slammed shut and locked behind them.

Most of the other dwarves immediately returned to their previous tendencies of throwing tantrums or crying, but the baroness tried to take stock of the situation. After trying a couple of the doors to the room, she concluded the only one that wasn't locked was one which led to yet another long set of stairs, this one leading upwards. She began her slow ascent up the rough stairs. She was in such a daze after all that happened that she didn't even notice the figure in front of her until she bumped into him, causing him to drop a large boulder he had been hauling onto the ground.

"Watch where you're going," he yelled, "or you can find someone else to build the damned coffins."

"Coffins? Who are you building coffins for?" the baroness asked nervously.

The other dwarf looked sternly into her eyes. "For us, you idiot."
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

KickAssAndGiggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 18, 2020, 01:55:04 am »

Diary of KAAG, animal caretaker of no great renown, 11th Felsite 508

So now they've started taking people to the asylum in the dead of night.

Underlook! Medical facility! Such pretty euphemisms diary.

Asylum.

On Doc's watch! I was pleased as punch when she volunteered for a second term with the hat. If there had been a vote, I'd have voted for her. I am stunned...STUNNED by Armok's muscular biceps, by the events unfolding before my eyes in Doomhollow.

Maybe I should do something about this? Rebellion doesn't come naturally to me. I yearn for order. I respect authority. But it's wrong diary. It's just plain wrong.

"It has been said that for evil dwarfs to accomplish their purpose it is only necessary that good dwarfs should do nothing." I don't know who came up with this, but I know who told me it: Nil Abanluslem, hero of the goblin siege 505.

My friend. Who died in the asylum.

I must act.

I'll just spend a day staring at my boat first. My beautiful blue boat.

THEN I'll act.

---

OOC: fantastic write-up so far! KAAG is a dove but I've personally loved what you and Bearvs have done to the place! :)
The humble lever: responsible for more dead fortresses than megabeasts, goblins and elves combined!

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2020, 04:12:37 am »

Fortress Report
Dated: 28 Felsite, 508

To the citizens of Doomhollow,

It is with great pride that I once again address you as overseer of the fortress. This past Spring has been a time of great tribulation for all of us, and I am hopeful that we will be able to move forward and recover. Although we can never truly replace the dwarves who were lost in defense of our fortress or in the violence of anarchy that has befallen us as of late, we can nevertheless honor their memory by building a stronger Doomhollow that they would have been proud to live in.

Here I will now formally announce the existence of an organization many of you may have already been aware of. In these times of troubles, it is important that we all rally around our king and the stability that he stands for. Thus, I have organized the formation of the Legion of the Adamantine Throne, a patriotic order which espouses order and loyalty to the crown. To aid in the accomplishment of the goals of the Legion, the fortress guard unit "The Maroon Treaties" has been absorbed into the Legion and reformed as the Guardians of the Adamantine Throne. As in former times, the Guardians will ensure the safety of the fortress and the execution of its laws.

Even as this season has been fraught with difficulties, we as a fortress were still able to make progress. The large hole outside of the fortress—a terrible safety hazard—has been completely walled-off, utterly neutralizing it as a threat.

Furthermore, the burial section of the fortress has been improved, with a new section serving as a space for the burial of pets. I have made plans to have a section nearby dedicated as a memorial hall to the heroes who lost their lives in the Siege of 2nd Granite, as well.

Nevertheless, it is necessary that we work harder to recover as a fortress. Even now corpses still litter the entrance to the fortress, causing negative thoughts and tantrums almost constantly. I have had the corpse stockpile moved inside to make sure that no-one has to become nauseated by the sun to remove this waste from the fortress, but more effort must be put in by everyone. Everyone has a role to play in the health and safety of the fortress, without exception.

Signed,
Doc
Overseer of Doomhollow
Commander of the Legion of the Adamantine Throne

BearvsGiantBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2020, 11:33:58 am »

As expected it is likely historians will judge us both cruelly but they will live to do so.

When the corridors are etched with the tortured expressions of those you have been asked to protect what would you do?

When your Dwarves bathe naked and screaming in the blood and gristle of constant invasions, what would you do?

Collapse under the supernatural burden?

As the mountainhold begins to slide whole into Armoks's mad glare, its Lovecraftian tentacles clawing civilisation to the abyss, we few stand against it. The wearers of the Rutile hat and protectors of the Adamantium throne will continue to serve Doomhollow as it's last Bastion. All the while its population brand us Tyrants, and its Xanadu an Asylum..
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:37:11 am by BearvsGiantBear »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2020, 11:21:30 pm »

Events of 22 Malachite, 508

The sun was high in the sky when the giantess Aka Rapidrenowned the Brilliant Syrup arrived at Doomhollow. As soon as the first dwarf caught sight of her he let out a scream and soon every dwarf that was outside quickly ran inside. This was Aka's favorite part of every hunt, seeing the fear that her sheer size and strength engendered every dwarf. She was looking forward to seeing this fear grow even stronger once she got inside and began picking them off. A few of them would be her lunch, and the rest she'd kill just for the fun of it. That was the joy of the hunt.

She was making her way in towards the entrance when she caught site of one straggler who seemed oblivious to what was going on. This dwarf must have been too busy hauling some items from outside to notice the fearful cries of the other denizens of the fortress. This dwarf would make a good appetizer, thought Aka, and a good way to warm up before making her way into the depths of the dwarfs' home. After all, she had no idea what to expect from these particular dwarves as far as hardiness went, and this dwarf could be a good way to gauge the sort of resistence she could expect. Plus, Aka was eager to make this calm-looking dwarf afraid of her.

Aka strode up to the dwarf, who hearing her turned and looked up at her. "Didn't you hear the cries of the others?" Aka asked with a cruel grin, "You should have run away while you had the chance."

The dwarf said nothing, and didn't even look as if she had heard Aka. The giantess' composure was briefly broken by the lack of fear of this dwarf, and the grin left her face. Was this dwarf insane or stupid? She would need to try again. Forcing a smile, Aka bellowed "I'm going to kill you, strip your bones of their meat and throw your bones to the dogs." Again this didn't result in any emotional response from the dwarf, who simply unenthusiastically reached her hand inside of her cloak.

Aka grew furious at this dwarf. If she wasn't going to get any response from her she would simply kill her quickly and move onto a more fun target. Aka bent over and swiped at the dwarf, who quickly jumped out of the way and brought her arm out of the inside of the cloak, bringing with it a flash of blue. Aka suddenly felt an intense pain across her cheek, reached up to touch her face, and felt blood pour out onto her hand. Looking down at the dwarf she saw that she held some sort of blue sword in her hand. Aka spat angrily. Even if this dwarf was armed she could still overcome her with her size and bulk alone. Aka charged the dwarf and collided into her, causing them both to tumble down the slope.

The giantess was confident that she had crushed the dwarf and began to get up onto her feet in triumph. She looked down onto the ground where she expected to see the crushed remains of a dwarf, once so bold as to show no fear in her presence and to attempt to fight back, but now just a pile of gore. But just where was that dwarf?

A sharp pain suddenly pierced Aka's leg, shocking her so much that she again fell to the ground. She attempted to lift herself up once more but the pain which resulted was so strong that she was unable to get off of the ground. Looking to her left, she saw the dwarf at last, still standing and holding her blue sword. Aka reached towards the dwarf with her left arm—then cried out in fear and agony as just a single stroke of that sword cut her entire arm clean off and sent it flying through the air. The dwarf then rushed towards her and sliced open her chest, before walking around behind Aka. Aka coughed up blood, adding more to the pool which was forming around her. She was in so much pain that she could hardly tell what was going on anymore. She was pretty sure that the dwarf was cutting off her feet and legs, but she wasn't sure. She didn't have the strength or energy to move her legs even if they were still there.

At last the dwarf came back into Aka's vision and stabbed her sword into Aka's upper body. Aka coughed yet again. She wanted to beg for mercy, but didn't have enough air left in her lungs to even scream in fear—and she was very fearful of this dwarf right now. The blood loss and lack of oxygen was catching up to her, and she began to black out. The last thing she could see with her fading vision was the dwarf Dodók Laborhandled bringing her sword back, readying herself to plunge it into Aka's brain.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2020, 03:32:42 pm »

Please dorf the youngest male child (not a baby) as "Timeless".  We shall see what kind of dorf he grows up to be...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2020, 05:20:19 pm »

From the Private Papers of Doc
Dated: 14 Galena, 508

The chaos out there is showing no signs of subsiding. Dwarves are throwing tantrums almost daily and I've needed to work overtime to stitch up the victims of fist fights. I fear that a recent incident will make it difficult for me to take effective control over the fortress. Staalo got in a fist fight with one of the militia-dwarves and got beaten pretty bad. Witnesses say that Staalo threw the first punch, lightly bruising the soldier, who retaliating by grabbing Staalo and throwing him against the wall as hard as possible. Staalo dropped dead of his wounds later that day.

This is not good at all. Staalo was a very effective overseer and a reminder of a more stable period of Doomhollow's history. I have no doubt that this episode will only contribute to the tantrums which have been occurring. In the meantime, the bodies are beginning to pile up from dwarves who have snapped or simply stopped eating and drinking. I have needed to request more coffins to accommodate these deaths.

Transportation of dwarves to the Underlook has continued as needed.

OOC:
Please dorf the youngest male child (not a baby) as "Timeless".  We shall see what kind of dorf he grows up to be...
Done.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2020, 06:44:17 pm »

Oh shit. Vampire-induced PTSD finally got him, then?

I was about to request another turn but have to think about a new angle now...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 22, 2020, 03:51:45 am »

Just a few more days in-game to play and then I'll be done with the year and I'll post the save. I have all the notes I need to write all the updates and they won't be that long since the year has been pretty uneventful overall after about halfway in. I'd do this all now but it's late right now. Thank you for your patience.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2020, 01:44:15 am »

Fortress Report
Dated: 28 Galena, 508

Even in the midst of great turmoil, our fortress shows its tenacity. Various improvements have been made to the fortress, the most notable of which was the movement of the dogs from the entryway near the depot to a separate room to prevent yet another group of dogs being killed the next time we get an unwelcome visitor.

Another great triumph was the creation of a new artifact by Ingish. Although I myself question the composition of the artifact, I cannot deny the craftsdwarfship involved.

The year is now half over. We must remain strong and stoic in these trying times. The Legion's work shall continue in forming this fortress into a worthy capital of the Dwarven civilization and a fitting home for our king.

As a side announcement, as Striker has been transported to the Underlook to rest and recuperate, Meng Stockadecastle will now serve as the hammerer for the fortress.

Signed,
Doc
Overseer of Doomhollow

From the Private Papers of Doc
Dated: 9 Limestone, 508

Meng recently handed me a letter that had been slipped under the door of the Underlook by one of the saner residents of that space. From this letter I was able to learn that Sigfrau had been greatly injured and needed medical treatment. I had the Guardians of the Adamantine Throne transport her to the main hospital, along with the only other inhabitant of the Underlook hospital, to get real medical treatment. As I was treating Sigfrau, I learned from her that riots were commonplace down there, and that Sigmund and Striker had both been killed. I offered to let her remain up her in the main fortress, but she insisted on returning to the Underlook after she had recovered to provide whatever medical treatment would be needed. I will oblige her request and also make sure that the hospital down there is restocked with fresh supplies.

I do not know if she expects to make it out of the Underlook alive. Perhaps she desires to be buried in the same place as Sigmund.

Fortress Report
Dated: 28 Obsidian, 508

This shall be my last report as overseer of Doomhollow, as tomorrow I shall pass off command of the fortress to a new overseer. I hope that whoever it is will continue to guide the fortress with the wisdom and integrity that I and the Legion of the Adamantine Throne have sought to exercise.

I apologize that my reports have been so few and far between as of late, but we have all been so busy that it has been hard to find time write and at the same time major, game-changing events have been uncommon since the first half of the year. There was the unfortunate incident where the outpost liaison went berserk and unfortunately had to be put down, for example. Otherwise, we have been steadily improving and the corpses that once lined the halls of the fortress and lay exposed on the hills just outside are almost all cleaned up.

I hope that the dwarves of this fortress will understand that I have acted for the good of the kingdom and of the fortress. I do not doubt that some will resent some action or another that I have taken, but I have no regrets as they were taken for the king and for the fortress. The Legion and the Guardians will continue their operations under my watch for the good of the king and his nation, even as direct rule of the fortress falls into the hands of another overseer.

I wish all of you good health and long life. Our fortunes rise and fall together.

Signed,
Doc
Overseer of Doomhollow

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2020, 01:59:28 am »

Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14957

Named Living Dwarves:
  • Imic II
  • Scourge II
  • Ryuken
  • Blueturtle
  • Ingish
  • Kubrik
  • KAAG
  • Drazoth
  • Inod
  • Doc
  • Sigfrau
  • Sodel
  • Besmar
  • Timeless
Named Dead Dwarves:
  • Psycho
  • Imic
  • Nish
  • Dark One
  • Staalo
  • Scourge
  • Erin Quill
  • Striker
  • Sigmund

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Doomhollow - Year 10 - (Overseers Wanted)
« Reply #297 on: March 24, 2020, 02:09:02 am »

Loved the turn man, that fight with the giant was very descriptive and well done!

Flame's up next!

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Doomhollow - Year 10 - (Overseers Wanted)
« Reply #298 on: March 24, 2020, 02:33:10 am »

If possible, may I claim a turn for the future?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Doomhollow - Year 10 - (Overseers Wanted)
« Reply #299 on: March 24, 2020, 02:39:52 am »

If possible, may I claim a turn for the future?

Welcome and done

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24