Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Gods of New Eras IC  (Read 3622 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of New Eras IC
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2019, 01:21:56 pm »

The Great Wrench grins, and considers Iyiania's words. "I agree. Sort of. Making gizmos would be both more rewarding and more of a long term fix than changing the seasons or dumping all the food the mortals need. I'm not even opposed to an idea of a monument or neutral ground. But the mortals should dedicate such a holy place with a great celebration! Feasts and Fireworks! Sex and Song! I say we wait until a time of plenty, Spring or Summer to build your Godstones!"

The Gremlin diety's eyes turn to Acter. "You like the futile struggling of trying to make things perfect, and I love making cool shit! What say we make something to dramatically improve your people's fishing methodology! I'm thinking a great vessel, capable of traveling under the waves and wielding massive nets and spears to hunt the largest of sea beasts on their own turf! Not only would such a toy be awesome, and feed the city, but it would also help keep the city peaceful. Us higher beings may be able to put our philosophical differences aside and work together on a project, but I'm not convinced our mortals are quite reasonable enough to do the same.

I teach the gremlins to embrace, even court, risk and failure in their artifice. To them there is no greater sacrament than to suffer the consequences of an experiment gone wrong. They view the Incilatro and Sciro as inferior craftsmen, unwilling to embrace great risks, and thus unable to collect great reward. I say it would be best to avoid conflict largely keep your people out at sea... At least until we have the spare divine power to do frivolous things such as address ideological and philosophical differences among mortals."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2019, 09:35:43 am »

It's a poor inventor that isn't willing to take risks. The difference in our peoples' practices cleave much closer along the line of if they're willing to pass those risks onto others.
Regardless, I do understand what you're saying here. I'd been thinking of the tensions between my peoples and those already here based on the food situation, rather than ideological ones. However, taking them away from the location will only keep them separated further, rather than allowing us to actually fix the underlying problem. Creating a vehicle such as that you have suggested should certainly be a goal to be worked on - maybe we could inspire our mortals to attempt it themselves? - but I feel that Iyiania's Godstones idea is likely the better course for the moment.
And you say that it should be commemorated with celebration and feasting, and that they should therefore wait for warmer climes - but would not the Stones' very existence allow for such activities? If we set them to produce food as well as maintain their spring-like environment, then the very existence of them will lead to feasting. All we'd need to do is tell our prophets to help commemorate the Stones' arrival.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2019, 03:41:42 pm »

Mother Forest saw the harm she had wrought in her attempts to help, and was saddened. She saw her people being pelted by endless rain, and she was sympathetic. She saw these jungles were strange and unfamiliar, and she was curious.

Action 1: [2 Power] Mother Forest melds together the souls of the Crown starfish with that of some of the dryads, turning them into symbiotic creatures that support each others souls and can share their senses. Together they will thrive and be nurtured and sustained.

Make Crown Starfish into a symbiotic species with the Dryads

Action 2: [1 Power] Mother Forest spends some time reminding the people of the forest of the means and ways to build good shelters from the rain. Using leaves and mud and clay and wood and sticks and stone and pottery. Treehouses had always been popular, using some minor nature magic to twist the trees slightly to better accommodate the houses, she remembered.

Teach people how to make shelter

Action 3: Mother Forest spends some time exploring and scrying into the jungle, examining the plants and creatures living in it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:48:03 am by Demonic Spoon »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2019, 04:49:58 am »

The Great Wrench pauses to scratch its nose and consider Acter's words. "I don't know about your people, but the ships my Gremlins can build were barely enough to make it to this new world! As much as I love trial and error, the gulf between my peoples and a super-advanced fishing submarine is so vast, I'm sure such an awesome toy would take many mortal generations to figure out without divine assistance..."

The god sighs. "If the Godstones make food, we could do the festivals now! But... if they just change the season, people will still have to grow and hunt their food, and wont have time to properly dedicate the monuments until they have acquired a stockpile..." Muses the Gremlin Deity.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 10:36:41 am »

Nyan... Rain, Rain, and more rain... They have done pretty well though. But I can help out a bit more.

Action: The Three Gifts
Three Chants to teach, and magics to learn. Minor All, but useful to them.

To the Cait Sith, 1E is spent to gift to them inspiration, a General Wind Spell that can be used as a shield, and buffet an attacker with a blast of concentrated air. Deflexio, focused through this chant, can be used for long periods. A Wind Shield which deflects and blocks physical things. 1 of the Cait Sith shall know this spell, and teach it to others.

To the Nyanka, 1E is spent to gift to them inspiration, a General Ice Spell, Refectio. From the air does water become an Ice Shield to block physical attack, and reflect Magic. Reflexio, focused through this chant, brings forth a mirror of clear ice, to reflect magic, and block physical attack, if only for a few seconds, or however long it is held up by the caster's will. 1 of the Nyanka shall know this spell, and teach it to others.

To the Nyanki, 1E is spent to gift to them inspiration, a General Restoration Spell, Refectio. By using a flower as the catalyst and calling upon it's spirit, does the user grant their targets clarity, refreshment, and restoration of mind, as well as healing and revitalization of the body. Put simply, complete energy recovery, healing all minor ailments. It can make even the most tired of minds alert. However, they still require sleep, as the spell only lasts for a few hours, and does not heal moderate or major ailments, like anything more than minor hypothermia/hyperthermia. 1 of the Nyanki shall know this spell, and teach it to others.

They should do fine. I hope the others are okay though. For now, we just need to weather the storm.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:45:10 am by TricMagic »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2019, 11:25:03 am »

The Great Wrench pauses to scratch its nose and consider Acter's words. "I don't know about your people, but the ships my Gremlins can build were barely enough to make it to this new world! As much as I love trial and error, the gulf between my peoples and a super-advanced fishing submarine is so vast, I'm sure such an awesome toy would take many mortal generations to figure out without divine assistance..."

The god sighs. "If the Godstones make food, we could do the festivals now! But... if they just change the season, people will still have to grow and hunt their food, and wont have time to properly dedicate the monuments until they have acquired a stockpile..." Muses the Gremlin Deity.
Hmn. A fair thing.
Not to mention, having my people be able to collect food for the entire settlement over the winter would likely build trust in them. We should make certain to mark it as coming from all three of us, however, to ensure there is no confusion toward the intent behind it as being for all our peoples as a whole. I'd also recommend that we each send our prophets a single, collective vision, explaining what we want to them. If all the prophets agree on what happened, everyone will be more likely to take it seriously.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2019, 04:58:32 am »

"The Godstones are visible, exposed, and something the people can look onto whenever they wish, wherever they are, whenever possible. It's both a landmark and a sign that we are there for them, and that goes far beyond direct utility."

Iyiania put three coins on the table bearing her emblem. All 3E(?) into investing into the monument.

"I will message my champion to call the others. The monument, if you both choose to go forward with it, will be made by us, but with simple preparations from the people that they have a hand in this and know it came not from nowhere. It is not seemingly obvious that we were guiding them when they landed here in the first place. Curse that storm." The last sentence was to the Great Wrench's mention of ships being 'barely enough to make it.' "Nevertheless, whatever caused that storm was no natural design.

"Contacting our champions does cost power though--unlike when we had first done so, although when we do this, they will be easily made aware. I'm putting all in on this triumvirate of a monument. It shall span neutral, mutual, ground between us, or be the heart of the city which shall focus on agriculture and industry combined, and it requires physical presence to be of interaction. It shall confer its effects for the distance of a mile or so, and be powerful enough to emphasize each tenet of our presence in working. What are your thoughts?"

Spoiler: Draft? (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2019, 05:43:20 pm »

"The Godstones are visible, exposed, and something the people can look onto whenever they wish, wherever they are, whenever possible. It's both a landmark and a sign that we are there for them, and that goes far beyond direct utility."

Iyiania put three coins on the table bearing her emblem. All 3E(?) into investing into the monument.

"I will message my champion to call the others. The monument, if you both choose to go forward with it, will be made by us, but with simple preparations from the people that they have a hand in this and know it came not from nowhere. It is not seemingly obvious that we were guiding them when they landed here in the first place. Curse that storm." The last sentence was to the Great Wrench's mention of ships being 'barely enough to make it.' "Nevertheless, whatever caused that storm was no natural design.

"Contacting our champions does cost power though--unlike when we had first done so, although when we do this, they will be easily made aware. I'm putting all in on this triumvirate of a monument. It shall span neutral, mutual, ground between us, or be the heart of the city which shall focus on agriculture and industry combined, and it requires physical presence to be of interaction. It shall confer its effects for the distance of a mile or so, and be powerful enough to emphasize each tenet of our presence in working. What are your thoughts?"

Spoiler: Draft? (click to show/hide)
._.
Listen, what are we doing?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]