Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Gods of New Eras IC  (Read 3626 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of New Eras IC
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 06:40:32 pm »

Juramanus would sigh and facepalm once more as events over the season unfolded. The waywards would need to be brought to heel in one form or another.

Action 1: Juramanus would first devote a part of his power into Giusepi.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"If I may ask Gabriele, what troubles you so that you invoke my name for your own vendettas and grievances?"

Guiseppi looks around and scoffs. So it seems my explosives didn't kill you, heretic. A shame. Though I will not entertain this farce any longer. Your voice may reach me, but soon your blasphemy will come to haunt you. Magic is the reason the Old World died, and Juramanus will see to it that does not happen again here. Your time will come, heretic.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 08:56:43 pm »

Action 1:

The Cult of the Red Hand would need guidance in the coming months, with winter's arrival just around the corner. Reaching into the  Living Earth,  the Hand brings forth  a primordial guide to do such  a thing. Let them learn the ways of  endurance from one of Thal's Claws.
Spoiler: Servant (click to show/hide)

Action 2:
Faced with the possibility of an outside observer, the Hand  scrys  back. What is the nature of this silent watcher? Is it a new fragment? Some other entity outside Thal's will? The Hand must know.
Action 3:
The Hand reaches forth into the forests near the keep, and  lays many trees low. The resultant lumber may not be enough to account for all the Red Hand's woes, but at least  it will supplement the  Old Path resources.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:15:46 am by WyrdByrd »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2019, 10:22:37 am »

Juramanus sighed
"My child, you are very faithful, but blinded by a lack of trust and understanding of the divine.

I am Juramanus, and I chose the priest to be my speaker among you, in order for you all to land. The stalemate would've almost certainly killed you all had I not intervened in the way I did. Now, the form this intervention took may not have been optimal, but with only so much of my power to go around after the cataclysm and an existential crisis brewing I needed to head it off before it killed you all. Same with the supplies, whilst again it was not the optimal thing to do there, it was what had to be done and mayhaps a cautionary tale for gambling.

The Muranids shall thrive just like it did in the Old World, but this time there will be no cataclysm to consume our new homeland. Whilst your devotion to the destruction of magic is admirable, your zeal leaves you without aim, and your prior politics with too many a grudge in your heart and both have worked against you to lead you astray. There are others who have arrived from the old world, not followers of mine with with other peoples likely comes with other gods. These peoples are far more of a danger to this new world because while my faithful, you included, wisely sought to destroy and abstain from magic, they do not. Even in these trying times, your kin need security and if you're not willing to work on the pay of the others, I would willing pay you for such services.

If you have no desire to return to your kin at the landing site, then I suggest you head towards the south; another deity resides there and it would be prudent to ensure that their followers do not toy with such forces. Should they not comply with such, I believe you know how to deal with such dissent, and likely have the tools to deal with such as well. Ideally, you can use them to built up your own source of wealth, if you're willing to have them trade with the other Muranids and any others.

You court doubt and paranoia more than you court my favour, and everything will appear false. Tust this voice and trust me, you will see me as I have chosen you; because I see more in you than just a mere merchant lord Giusepi."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:23:34 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 12:53:26 pm »

Dearest high Lord above, Juramanus, she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm, we have no intention to return to your... I mean your "priest's" clutches. Even if we desired so, something tells me there remains no good will for us there.

Though, your word seems true enough when it comes to the southern settlement. We've seen smoke in the sky from the south, thick black smoke of industry. A familiar sight in q distant land. Though, there's little chance we will make it before winter. We continue onward.

I tell you this only in the case we do not return. To the northwest, our scouts have seen riders. We will attempt to find their settlement. Unable to do that, we will overwinter in the caves. If we make it to spring, perhaps you'll hear from us once more.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2019, 11:27:18 pm »

Action 2: Juramanus informs Valteo about the existence of other peoples to the south and north, possibly inquiring if he could convince Debatio to send a ship to explore in either direction and possibly setting up some form of trade if able to.

Action 3: Juramanus yet again provides supplies to his people, though this time, he lets the supplies trickle in rather than summoning them all at once, to let his worshippers think that the supplies are lasting longer rather than someone summoning it all. He ensures that the supplies are delivered into their storehouses and other storage areas which aren't looked at often, and tries to avoid doing so in front of any witnesses.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2019, 11:39:30 pm »

Fall of Year One

Mother Forest
The fall was a strange strange season for the tree beings. Near the beginning of the season, one of the healers catches a strange branch which fell from far above. It was falling on his patient at the time and the healer didn't want it to upset the patient. However, the healer was not a great catch and it grazed the afflicted druid. Immediately the dryad began to writhe and scream. Blue flowers blossomed across their branches where the thorns had been. Each one turning into a tiny flower. On the druid themselves, the crown of thorns twisted and writhed before dropping off the dryad. It fell to the ground and the dryad's eyes cleared. They had been cured. Though their ordeal was not over yet. They looked down at the crown as it bent and twisted into the shape of a starfish. It slid across the ground and the dryad it had been attached to gingerly picked it up, fearing it none at all. The healer advised against it, but the druid didn't listen. They explained to the healer the nature of the disease that had afflicted them and why the healing had not worked. Trapped within this starfish was a spirit of water, a nymph of sorts. It had been drawn into a terrible storm and it's body torn asunder. Part of it's spirit had become lodged in the dryad and the two had been in deep conversation. It seems that with no body of it's own, it's soul had mingled with the dryad's. Separated now, she mourns for the spirit, trapped alone in such a body. When the healer informs the dryad that the crown was killing her, she is unsurprised and saddened. Over the course of the season, the rest of the dryads are cured and a melancholy falls over the dryads as they watch what had quickly become part of their souls trapped into the bodies of the crown starfish. The starfish skitter along the ground and trees, consuming what they can, blind and skittish. The dryads pray to their Mother for guidance as tears flow from the holes in their soul.

The needlefolk are less affected. When they are cured of the storm sickness, their recovery is slower and less dramatic. Their bodies begin to clear of the black blight and over the course of the season they make a full recovery.  This allows them to begin setting about their work. A system of marks are placed throughout the jungle, much to the chagrin of the local plant life. The trees become angry when carved, but despite their wild nature, can do little to stop the needlefolk. Furthermore, they have made many a venture to the sea to collect shells and grind them to dust by hand. The white powder, after being applied to the soil, helped significantly with acidity. Oddly enough, the crown of thorns starfish were attracted to these areas. Though, that may have been due to the planting of the dryads there.

Halfway through the season, the trees roots retracted, much to the confusion of your dryads. Their roots took hold and they were able to gain a foothold in the soil. Soon enough, their confusion was met with clarity. Monsoon season was upon you. Storms and rain battered the jungle and the dryads and needlefolk found themselves drenched on a daily basis. The rain washed away much of the acidity reducing powder, though, it seems the starfish were actually a boon in this regard. They lurked near the dryads, slowly devouring vegetation coming close to their clearings. However, their presence constantly reminded the dryads of the nature of the starfish plight.

Nyagic
When Snuggles was chosen as a servant of Nyagic, he was horribly confused. He had been a simple cat all his life, and loved only the sea, and the fish it provided him. The tastiest fish was the one which was caught through patience, he always said. Little did he know of his innate aptitude for magic. He had always known where to find the best fishing spots, and in part, that was due to his attunement to the winds and the waves. He seemed little interested in the ax, for the trees could provide him what he truly loved in this world. Fish. So he passed it off to his sister, who had been selling his extra catch for years. Within days, she had sold half the colony enough wood to build their houses. The amount of wood she was able to produce astounded the other colonists, and they were happy to buy the lumber. Until it came time to build their homes. They were not a strong people, and despite having large amounts of wood, they had no knowledge of building homes for themselves. What was erected were shoddy cabins of mud and logs. They kept the weather off at first, but about half way through the season, the storms came. Snuggles sensed the storms and stayed close to shore, but the scouts were caught up in the rain. For the remainder of the season, most all of the Nya were condemned to their leaky hovels and could only venture out in the few clear days. Luckily, sickness was avoided, but the nya have grown restless and unhappy with the abysmal rains and cramped damp quarters. Food is also in short supply, as the season has prevented much of the fishing industry from operating. With the changing of the seasons, the air is less hot, but it appears there is no end in sight as far as the rains are concerned.

Iyania
The chill winds blew down from the north, cool mountain air bringing the first hints of winter. It mixed with the warm air of the sea, and rain was common. For the majority of the season, the weather was poor. Most days the collection of mortals was trapped indoors. The rain and the wind had a way of seeping into their bones and chiling the soul. A few individuals came down with sickness as a result of the damp. Luckily it was nothing too dangerous, and in a few weeks, it had passed. Many gathered together in the larger buildings, where the fires roared and the conversation was good. During these conversations, a natural leader emerged from the masses. A Luca Mafwe. After hearing the word of Iyania, they set out to lead the humans as best as they could.

Luca organized several search and rescue missions using the main ship, travelling up and down the coast. The waters were choppy and the crew wore heavy leathers to keep the cold and water at bay. Over the course of the season, many more humans were found and told to venture north, or simply came aboard the ship. One such occasion they encountered a huge group of humans and gremlins travelling north, led by Celphine Bentsteel in coordination with a human ranger. Between the two of them, they had organized the chaos of the gremlins into a pilgrimage of metal and smoke. By the end of the season, the town had tripled in size.

By this point, the winds of winter were blowing across the ocean, and occasionally light snow had begun to fall. The increase in population and the reuniting of families and friends brought warmth and joy to the people, but the stores were low and they poor conditions made building new structures incredibly slow and dangerous.

Luca and the Ranger quickly became two leading figures in this budding society. Luca had come to know the location of iron veins nearby, placed their by Iyania and the forges kept the smiths warm. With the help of the Gremlins, a large workshop was constructed which served as a gathering place for the three races. It was warm and dry and could fit near three hundred at a time, and often did. Many a strange invention was created, including a giant tank nearby which the gremlins often threw whatever scraps they could into it. It’s oil lit lamps and brought further light and warmth to the settlement. The ranger, which seemed to be equally as cunning as the gremlins had led many a hunting party to gather food. With musket and machine, provided by the gremlins, hunting was decent, but with so many mouths to feed, it was an uphill battle.

This was made even more difficult as a few hundred foreigners appeared in the last month of the season. They brought food and lumber, but not nearly enough to feed more than themselves. This lead to tensions between the different groups.

The Great Wrench
Near the beginning of the season, the Great Wrench found a human who would be suitable to their goals. Never bothering to learn their name, he bless this ranger with leadership and she took to it in stride. A cunning individual, she could stride through forest, field, and city alike. She was very effective at finding humans and catfolk who had ventured inland away from the beach, and over the course of a month or two, had collected a large swath of those lost. Even finding a great number of gremlins as well. This was not unnoticed by Bentsteel, who had come to have heard in a dream that there was a human settlement up north. To hear that confirmed through the Ranger’s mouth, she knew the dream was from the Great Wrench. She proposed an agreement to the ranger. This city would grow cold over the winter, when the fuel ran out. They would travel north, together. The ranger, who had garnered the begrudging respect of many gremlins for her ability to use their weapons and uncharacteristic cunning, agreed.

Over the next month, Bentsteel, Brightglimmer, and the Ranger conspired to move north. The sounds of clanging metal and saws rang out day and night. What gadgets, gizmos, dohickies, and devices the gremlins could use were loaded onto ramshackle (and often hazardously powered) carts. Though these were few and far between at first, much of the settlement was broken down for parts, leaving empty shells behind when the labor outstretched the worth of materials. And thus, a great exodus travelled north to overwinter with the humans.

Arriving there was a strange moment. Gremlins rushed from the settlement to admire the workmanship of their fellows, who they hadn’t seen in months. To breathe in the sulfuric smoke of industry once more, well, it was a welcome change from the clean crisp air of the human settlement. They passed by tall humans fleeing the same smoke, running into the arms of friends and families with tears in their eyes. On all sides, it was a touching moment of reunion, in their respective ways.

The gremlins flourished for the remainder of the season. The oil provided by your artifact served as a constant dribble of fuel for the fires of industry. Human blacksmiths had forges, and by the end of the season, a huge community building had been built which kept the cold winds at bay with forge fire. Songs and epics were sung to the rhythm of hammers on steel. And much cooperation was accomplished between the smiths and inventors. While the ranger led many a hunting trip, the amount of food necessary for the growing city was simply not provided by the meat of the plains creatures. Additionally the Sciro and Icilantro brought fish and a rival knowledge of technology. Their preoccupation with safety made for poor and boring inventions, and many Gremlins come to scoff at the creations of these strange creatures. Going into winter, the stores are low, despite spirits being high. As the snow begins to fall, there is an ominous energy in the air.

Acter
This season went much better for your people than the last season. After exiting the swamp, your people traveled along the coast and shallow ocean nearby. Using their nets, enough fish were caught to feed the entire population throughout the season. At first the colonists were not well acquainted with the nets, but with time, they improved. Each ship developed their own strategies for catching fish and by the end of the season, two techniques had come into fruition. Given time, these would likely develop into decent fishing skills, but for now, the foundations were there. The season was pleasant at first. There was much fish to be caught, and the weather was clear. However, the weather fouled as the season progressed. The colonists discussed going ashore, but Jamx spoke out against it. In the days past, rumors of a great fishing spot had spread among the ships, and one had been foolhardy enough to seek it out. Unwilling to abandon them in favor port, the ships drifted south. The storms increased in frequency, and severity as they headed south, but in a week, the ship was discovered. They had caught something truly unusual. A strange mechanical object had been fished up from a deep crevice ruptured out from the continent itself. The trench was far deeper than the nets could reach, but fish gathered here in great numbers. Strange species existed here as well. A long eel which, while inedible, contained large ink sacs which, was theorized could be made into quill ink. A rough prototype that reeked of the ocean was developed, replenishing the supply which had long run dry. Large red fish with sharp teeth became a favorite. It was a dangerous fish to catch, often struggling for hours before being pulled up, and at one point, a net was lost to one of these beasts. Yet their abundance of sweet flesh was well worth the risk to many fishers. Strange urchins with a savory flavor could be boiled in salt water, and to the surprise of the novice cooks, became inedible. Yet the water itself, had been cleansed of all salt water. Yet most interesting of all was the strange shards of mechanical objects. They consisted of an unusual metal, which seemed neither to rust not degrade with time, holding it’s bluish sheen despite being ravaged by the tides for an unknown period of time. One device seemed to be an almost complete device. It was a blueish sphere which sported several interlocked rings which could be rotated and shifted around the orb. Several rings appeared to be missing or broken, and other shards were fished up, none of which seemed to be related to this specific device. Thus the weeks went by. The weather was less than favorable, a near constant dribble, interspaced with heavy storms which condemned the colonists to engine rooms where small fires were built to stave off the cold. With the engines in such poor condition, their furnaces were converted into makeshift hearths. Near the end of the season, the weather worsened significantly and Jamx, who had become a cultural leader, seen as, if not wise, calculating and compassionate enough to make good decisions, led them north. For the last two weeks of the season, they made port at a surprisingly large city. Hundreds of humans, gremlins, and even a spattering of Nya had built a city of metal and wood. The sciro and incilatro’s stores were decent, but not near enough to feed such masses. This raised suspicion, especially among the gremlins, who on a whole, disagreed fundamentally with your colonists methods of artifice. As the snow began to fall, and the water began to become more and more dangerous, tensions between your colonists and the city dwellers began to rise. Food was scarce for them, yet you had not even enough for yourselves to stay fed for the winter. Lumber was scarce for them, yet you had firewood left over from the season. Distrusting and hungry eyes turn to your people, some colder than the winter winds.

Grel'Chak
This season was rather uneventful for Grel’chak. The slimes lived, ate, and reproduced. This was their nature, and they knew not anything else. Strife for a slime was hunger. Strife for a slime was aridity. Strife for a slime was entrapment. And your slimes lived without strife this season. The rains began two weeks into the season and the slimes, in their own way, rejoiced at the good fortune. They travelled further than they had before and discovered much. The forgot equally as much, but that’s not entirely the point, Grel’chak remembered. To the southwest, they discovered several tribes of lizard people. Though several slimes were lost, the number of scale slimes grew to replace them as they devoured lone lizardmen who would foolishly engage the slimes in combat. Other beings were seen, flickers of them at least. They knew well enough to avoid the slimes. And soon enough it became clear why. As time went on, you noticed a strange feeling in some parts of the swamp. It was a force you felt was akin to your own, but at the same time, it was not yours. Much to your chagrin, there were slimes here. Large green things with little grace, and poor appetite for solid food. And they would not listen to you. They devoured several of your slimes, greedily and with gusto. Something had shielded them from you, a terrible feeling you had never encountered before. The realm of liquity was yours and yours alone… Wasn’t it?

Other slimes wandered towards other encampments. Nya were spotted floating in the sky, far beyond your reach. At one point, slimes ventured far south through the swamps. A vitality of sorts had drawn them there. Yet, when they drew near, you lost sight of them. You felt their souls devoured by something. You smell the ocean, and murky disease, and hear a terrible slurping before the souls of your mortals ascend into your slimy mass.

Throughout the season the yellow slimes, with your blessing, grew in number and variety. A strange divergence grew within them. Some stayed the same, which was unusual. Two other groups emerged. By far, the greatest group was the razor slimes. These yellow slimes had come to understand how to harden a thin blade of slime and whip it out at high speeds, either like a bladed whip, or as a slicing projectile. The second type of slime grew somehow more intelligent. The first signs of complex thought began to appear, the tiny glimmer of intelligence growing within them. As the fall came to an end, you were left with a dilemma, are these truly slimes anymore, and should they remain? Or should this anomaly be quenched immediately?

Juramanus
You feel your soul being torn between two divergent groups. It’s not entirely painful, but it is unpleasant. It feels as if there are two versions of you, overlapping, occupying the same space, but never mixing together completely. One version of you is felt by the priest. It is wise to your ways and the ways of your people. Perhaps it is even more pious than your true self. It’s hard to say through the distorted lense you find yourself occupying it. The other version is righteous, vindictive, and takes action. You feel the way the rebel muranid sees you. As a power to strike down those who abuse magic, and use it for their own ends. Magic is not something for the people to wield, and it’s power has already torn at least one people asunder. The two versions of you look down on the world, together and yet apart.

On the coast, you see the beginnings of a civilization. Houses are becoming better and better constructed and reinforced. Your supplies have greatly helped in this endeavor. Even the most astute muranids are surprised at their ingenuity and craftsmanship, believing themselves to be improving at engineering and conservation of resources. The priest smiles at the good spirits of the excited ratfolk. Food is still a major concern. You do bring forth some, but unlike the building supplies, they are devoured in days, if not hours of appearance. The lack of muskets and general lack of fishing skill has led to large expeditions onto the plains in search of food. Some larger beasts, the buffallamas especially. Their warm furs going towards crudely made coats as the season became colder and the frosts came on the morning dew. Ships are sent south, and they do come to see a huge settlement, but it is clear immediately that there is magic at work here. The heathens have clearly magical items in their possession and the crew, who are still rather suspicious of the priest, ask his guidance. The priest feels, correctly, that this was a trap. He advised them to avoid the southerners for now. If they did wield magic nefariously, in their current condition, the muranids could do little to fight back. The priest has gained a bit of rapport. By the end of the season, even a few creature comforts had been laid. Some stone hearths and fur rugs had been created and while they mostly went to the merchant barrons, several crewmembers came to acquire them as well. When the snows came, the situation was grave, but not hopeless. With the stores they have now, perhaps they could make it through the winter if hunting was favorable.

To the west, the rebels ventured through the endless plains. Hunting was good, and their muskets felled a great many beasts. Most interestingly was a strange flightless bird which seemed to have some sort of magical property to it’s feathers. It’s flesh was eaten and the accursed plumage was burned. They built for themselves leather and hide tents to stave off the winds, and the scrub and grass burned in their fire pits. This world was theirs to tame, and time and time again, they did so. Yet near the end of the season, perhaps they had met their match. The winter winds blew across the plains with such vigor that the tents shook and lost their structure, suddenly exposing many to the cold and snow. Seeking shelter, they had a decision to make. They had a wariness of the plainsfolk, who rode horses in the distance and avoided the ratfolk like the plague. Seeking their encampment was a dangerous roll of the dice in the frigid conditions. Ultimately, they decided to seek shelter in the caves, as the dawn of winter approached. What they found there, shocked them.

Dwarves
It had been four years, seven months, and sixteen days since the dwarf’s mining rig had fallen deep beneath the earth in a suddenly violent earthquake. Much of their company had been lost, and not just their men, but the literal company. With little resources, damaged mining rigs, and no way to return to the shallow earth, the dwarves realized with horror their predicament. They had lost the ability to dig. At least in any reasonable way. They could break through weak stone, but to try and navigate their way upwards, was to ask for certain death. Their only option? Forward through the darkness. For season after lightless season, they crept along. Rig after rig broke down, and without tools or supplies, they were scrapped and used to repair whatever other rigs could be repaired. Other sections were used for ammunition, as they were not alone down here. The strange beasts of the deep dark hungered for dwarf flesh, for the foolhardy hubris of one who digs too deep. And in many cases, they did. Over a hundred dwarves were lost in the first year, and in subsequent years, it was not much better. Strange trilobites gnawed on the rigs, and ceiling lurkers snatched lookouts from their posts. Even the earth rose up to assault them a few occasions. Yet, after all this time, they had not seen a living soul. Until today. One auspicious lookout found a tunnel leading upwards and saw, off in the distance, a gathering of ratfolk exiting the tunnel and building camp among the mushroom trees. Was their journey finally over? Or perhaps, it had just begun.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2019, 11:39:54 pm »

Player Inventories

Mother Forest (Demonic Spoon)

Nyagic (TricMagic)

Iyiania (Tiri)

Grel'Chak (Tube Wizard)

Juramanus (Taricus)

The Great Wrench (Weirdsound)

Acter (Glass)

The Hand of Thal (Wyrdbird)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 09:57:31 am by Roboson »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2019, 03:15:11 am »

It was three hours after midnight, on a particularly cold early winter's morning. The only people still in the large community building of the young city of the Gremlins and Humans were some combination of drunk, exhausted, and/or sleeping.

Nobody notices the form of a particularly small gremlin, using a golden wrench as a crutch, at the table furthest from the door. The tiny fetches three large mugs from the vacant bar, and arranges them at its table. It then pulls out a single tiny flask, which miraculously contains enough acidic tasting Gremlin moonshine to fill all three mugs. The gremlin, who is of course, in actuality, a manifestation of The Great Wrench, stares intently at the etherial plane between earth and the divine, curious to see if its fellow gods of this new city would join it for drinks and discussion about the shared fates of their people.

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2019, 02:40:50 pm »

Gazing upon the lucky few dwarves or gnomes... hard to tell sometimes. The core hums in tune for their success at finding an exit. As the season days go on, Eltanin gives detailed visions to the darwi and gnomi of what is outside of the path they found. Alternative paths are given to discuss on what to do for getting them out of their situation. Warnings of the seasons change hangs in their heads.

Eltanin observes what the darwi/gnomi have, for the earth has been harsh to their darkest adventure.

Thinking, over the time, Eltanin crafts an artifact and places it in the hands of the darwi and gnomi

Spoiler: The First Cross (click to show/hide)

A strange but cheerful melody is heard in the ears of gods. It can be interpreted as a loose way of saying 'hello?'. The body of Eltanin roams the divine plane.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 05:48:04 pm by Rahx »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 04:17:39 pm »

Nobody notices the form of a particularly small gremlin, using a golden wrench as a crutch, at the table furthest from the door. The tiny fetches three large mugs from the vacant bar, and arranges them at its table. It then pulls out a single tiny flask, which miraculously contains enough acidic tasting Gremlin moonshine to fill all three mugs. The gremlin, who is of course, in actuality, a manifestation of The Great Wrench, stares intently at the etherial plane between earth and the divine, curious to see if its fellow gods of this new city would join it for drinks and discussion about the shared fates of their people.

The still wind gave a slight push to the tavern door while a bit of dust drifted in. At least, that's how any mortal onlookers that weren't overly drunk might have put it. Or maybe they'd have seen some shadows shifting a bit until it looked vaguely like a person. Someone particularly versed in magic might have sworn to see something unfold from a few coincidentally-aligning lines.

When the unfinished one doesn't care to be noticed, it can be difficult for others to break through the veil.

The Wrench, on the other hand, could clearly see lines coalesce into humanoid form in the chair across from them, culminating in a familiar mask pulling itself together from a myriad of minuscule particles.

It's good to see a familiar face. Should we wait for Iyania to arrive, or do you think she'll hear us anyway?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:22:16 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2019, 07:39:33 pm »

The Great Wrench leans back in its chair and grins. It always had a degree of sly respect for Acter: A fellow crafter who understood the imperfection of the world, even if the unfinished one would rather chase an impossible ideal than enjoy watching the imperfect burn.

"I don't know this human goddess all that well... You think she'd mind? Normally I'd be all for messing with her and starting the meeting early, but this is a celebration as much as it is an opportunity to discuss urgent matters! Our pet mortals all escaped Armageddon and made it across the sea! We likely are a mere nominal investment in food away from making it through the winter! She should be here to share in this joy. We should wait! Unless you have objections..."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2019, 12:06:21 am »

[...]
[...]
A hooded woman dressed in commoner clothing passes by and looks at both of you with a smile, while resting her traveling staff on a nearby wall.
"What can I get you fine fellows? Rare to see travelers come by here."
She nods at both The Great Wrench and Acter before placing down her hood and gesturing to both of them. There was a symbolic eye on her hand.
"Better yet, it is rare to be able to meet safely with the leaders of others this Winter. You are always welcome when you wish, and nobody around will disturb us in such places as these.

"I've been feeling greater plans thought about. Let's call this meeting to a start, shall we?"

The cacophony of celebration in the tavern made their voices clearly inaudible, and Iyiania made sure that there were no eavesdroppers. She had mentioned last Fall that she planned to protect against the ravages of Winter...but given the sudden appearance of another sailing fleet, and the deity of the Gremlins themselves, things had great potential to be better, and she was willing to participate in full.

Preoffer my 3(?) E for a combined effect this season.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:45:20 am by Tiruin »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2019, 10:34:36 am »

Grand. And it’s good to see you again, Iyania.

So, of course, the order of business right now is dealing with winter, and particularly the lack of food and inability to gather more of it that comes with the cold times. I’ve come up with a couple of plans.

First, of course, is the fact that we could always just make food. It’s the obvious solution, but probably not the most effective.
Second, and the one I’d been bouncing around in my head a bit, was the idea of, well, making it not be winter. With two-thirds of each of our power, we could make this more like a cool spring; it would certainly allow our people to gather resources and food through the season, though I somewhat fear that it would leave our peoples unprepared for later winters. If we were to use all of our capabilities for the season, however, we could make the season magic - it could not just be warm, it could rain food, or make it sprout from the ground, or what-have-you. And it wouldn’t just help our people through, but also be a clear demonstration of our power and presence.
Both of those ideas, though, only remain here for a limited time - the stockpile until it runs out, the season until spring. So there’s a possible third option: we create some kind of artifact - maybe even a monument of some sort - that generates food. Hells, maybe with the same kind of power needed for the magic season, we could make one that causes it to be perpetually spring or something in a wide radius around it, in addition to the food production.

To sum it all up, we can essentially just give them food, give them food while investing in the mortals’ faith, or invest in food and to a lesser degree in faith. So, what are your opinions?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2019, 11:24:16 am »

Eltanin is floating around sending out chips and whirrs hoping for a response.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2019, 12:27:17 pm »

[...]there’s a possible third option: we create some kind of artifact - maybe even a monument of some sort - that generates food. Hells, maybe with the same kind of power needed for the magic season, we could make one that causes it to be perpetually spring or something in a wide radius around it, in addition to the food production.

To sum it all up, we can essentially just give them food, give them food while investing in the mortals’ faith, or invest in food and to a lesser degree in faith. So, what are your opinions?

"When I had met The Great Wrench, a recollection of woes and ideas hit me--both good and bad, from the Old World. When my peoples made landfall, we all vowed to make anews. The freshness of the airs, and the lack of distinct subtleties and nuances were present; everybody was equal, even in meeting the Gremlin and the Catfolk. Everyone was equal in survival, and I had put effort into ensuring people remembered that into their culture.

"I had planned to seed the thoughts of worship and order--built upon the empathy inherent to all, and never to blind, but to guide, even for those who may not want to believe--for the rest of my time. That monument is indeed something I will fully support. Besides that, what use is a third of our power in these trying times? Also something to please take care of the smoke...it is very unrefined and does go against my people's wishes."

Iyiania expounded. Making animals or seasonal protection would be a short-term boon, but a long-term defeat, as their powers were more tailored to permanence than temporariness at this stage of development. She mentioned she was willing to invest fully into this endeavor (and that they had 2 more actions anyway if this was the course to be taken).
Spoiler: For reference (click to show/hide)

"If we are to make a monument, I would lovingly like to call them "God Stones", each bearing our distinct image, our tenets, and basically being immovable. Much like my promise to my people, I would also like that to be neutral ground; I hardly envision any intent or malice between us, but the motion of neutrality is more for our people and any intrusive or idyll thoughts they deal with. We do not want Winter to overcome us, and being a beacon of warmth in the cold will drawn attention that may be unwanted in this unknown land--we need only empower and satisfy that which is difficult to do so. Food, and warmth; something to help us ease ourselves and acclimatize faster. Our peoples are innovative. We may just as easily transform this into a beneficial tradition that would not meander into coveted intentions. And not just for us--if the catfolk are any indication--there are more than just us here from the Old World."
Iyiania gestured like a storyteller, with the eye on her hand looking elsewhere towards the outside.
"If there are other deities, that means there may be curses and foul magics not wielded in control like ours. Alongside that, some manner of stability will benefit anyone, especially the gremlins...given their knack for nick-knacks, innovation, machines, and tinkering. This stability would also move towards the weather and the lands, stretching as far as this city and more (1 mile), stopping the harshness of winter (or storm) but keeping it in balance that the local fauna still may act in accordance with how they are used to winter. The seas would be calmer and unfrosted, that we could fish much easier despite fishing being a main food source during these seasons. That sense of stability would also help governance or at least the propagation of food for our peoples, and alleviating any dissent when times become harsh. Stability for magic practice, worship rituals, communication, diffusing tension, focusing on tasks...the possibilities are endless, and progressive."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:49:05 pm by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4