Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BARONS of the Kingdom! 2 more Players needed  (Read 908 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
BARONS of the Kingdom! 2 more Players needed
« on: May 15, 2019, 04:06:18 pm »

Claim land! Gather and make resources! Get rich on the Royal Market! Gain Favor with the King! Use it to cripple your opponents!

Become the GREATEST of the BARONS of the Kingdom today!

---

TILE MAP:

The Map of the Kingdom is divided into 81 hexagonal tiles. Tiles can be either Neutral (white) or claimed by a Player (yellow, green, blue, pink, orange).

Each Player begins by placing a Castle anywhere on the map. This action claims the Tile on which the Castle was built as well as all Tiles surrounding the Castle.
You cannot place your Castle adjacent to any Tile already claimed by other Player(s).
After you place your Castle, you then can place a Village, a Workshop, plus either a Farm, a Pasture, a Quarry or a Mine, on any Tile claimed by your Castle.

---

VICTORY&DEFEAT:

You're victorious if you have 100 or more Gold at end of a Turn.
Truly you're the most enterprising of all Barons!

You're defeated if you're under 0 Gold for 3 consecutive Turns.
The King does not like his vassals being in crippling debt!

---

RESOURCES:

Raw Materials:

GRAIN: Produced at Farm.
LIVESTOCK: Produced at Pasture.
MATERIALS: Produced at Quarry.
METAL: Produced at Mine.

Goods:

FOOD: Created at Workshop. 2 Food can be made from 1 Grain or 1 Livestock.
CLOTH: Created at Workshop. 1 Cloth can be made from 1 Livestock.
GLASS: Created at Furnace. 1 Glass can be made from 1 Materials.
WEAPONS: Created at Furnace. 1 Weapons can be made from 1 Metal.

GOLD: Used to buy things, as well as to win the game.

Each Player starts the game with 20 Gold, 10 MATERIALS, 5 FOOD and 5 WEAPONS.

---

BUILDINGS:

You need these to expand your economy. If you lack a Resource for construction, you can substitute with Gold at rate 1 item = 3 gold.
You can place Buildings only on claimed Tiles. The amount of Buildings you can place per Turn is equal to the number of Castles you have.
Buildings require workforce provided by Villages. For example, if you have 1 Village and 8 other Buildings, you cannot build more Buildings until you place your 2nd Village.
Upkeep costs need to be paid in RESOURCES; if you're unable to pay Upkeep, it is paid using your Gold reserves, at rate of 3 Gold per 1 unpaid Upkeep.

'F'ARM: Produces 2 GRAIN per Turn. No Cost/Upkeep.
'P'ASTURE: Produces 2 LIVESTOCK per Turn. No Cost/Upkeep.
'Q'UARRY: Produces 2 MATERIALS per Turn. No Cost/Upkeep.
'M'INE: Produces 2 METAL per Turn. No Cost/Upkeep.
'C'ASTLE: Centre of operations. Claims all surrounding neutral tiles when built. Cost: 10 MATERIALS, 5 WEAPONS. Upkeep: 1 WEAPONS per Turn.
'V'ILLAGE: Provides workforce for 8 other Buildings you own, and produces 1 Gold per Turn. Cost: 10 MATERIALS. Upkeep: 1 FOOD per Turn.
'W'ORKSHOP: Turns GRAIN and LIVESTOCK into FOOD and/or CLOTH. Each Workshop can turn 5 Items per Turn (e.g 5 Grain, or 4 Grain and 1 Livestock, etc) maximum. Cost: 5 MATERIALS. No Upkeep.
F'U'RNACE: Turns MATERIALS into GLASS and METAL into WEAPONS. Each Furnance can turn 5 Items per Turn (e.g 5 Materials, or 4 Materials and 1 Metal, etc) maximum. Cost: 5 MATERIALS. No Upkeep.

---

MARKET:

Raw Materials and Goods can be exchanged there.

Raw Materials: Always 1:1 when exchanged at Market (1 item = 1 gold)
Goods: Always 1:2 when exchanged at Market (1 item = 2 gold), except Food, which has rate 1:1 (1 Food = 1 gold)

MARKET slowly accumulates Gold (2 per Turn), but not RESOURCES, which can be sold to MARKET only by Players.

At the start of the game, MARKET has a predetermined amount of items in stock:
10 Grain, 10 Livestock, 25 Materials, 10 Metal, 10 Food, 5 Cloth, 5 Glass, 10 Weapons, and 25 Gold.

---

KING'S COURT:

You can exchange Goods (except Food) for Favor, representing your reputation amongst the royal family and the royal court.

Exchange rates are:
1 GLASS = 6 Favor
1 CLOTH = 4 Favor
1 WEAPON = 2 Favor

You can spend Favor to claim an unclaimed (neutral) Tiles, or you can buy Diplomatic CARDS.
Maximum Favor you can have at the KING'S COURT is 50. You start the game with 5 Favor. You lose 1 Favor per Turn, which can drop to minimum of 0.

You can claim any neutral Tile that is adjacent to any Tile you've already claimed. Claiming a Tile costs 2 Favor. You can claim only 1 Tile per Turn.

The Court also takes Taxes from all Players at end of every Turn. The base Tax is 1 Gold per Turn.
The Tax amount can be raised and lowered with Raise/Lower Taxes Diplomatic CARDS. Taxes can be as low as 0 Gold and as high as 5 Gold per Turn.

Every 5 Turns, a new Royal Quest will be available to all Players: a random assortment of 7-10 Goods will be required by the King.
First Player to give away the listed RESOURCES will be given 10 Favor, 10 Gold and 1 randomly choosen Diplomatic CARD.

---

DIPLOMATIC CARDS:

These cost Favor to acquire, and are free to play them. You can have up to 7 CARDS at any given time, but you can play only 1 CARD per Turn.

Boundary Claim (10 Favor): Pick any Tile (except one with Castle or Village) belonging to another Player, that's adjacent to any of your own Tiles. That Tile is now yours. If there was a Building on that Tile, it is destroyed.
Claim Revocation (5 Favor): Pick any unoccupied (no Building) Tile belonging to another Player, anywhere on the map. That Tile becomes Neutral.
Foreign Trade (10 Favor): Exchanges 5 of your RESOURCES for 5 other. Can only exchange Raw Materials for Raw Materials, and Goods for Goods.
Lawmaker's Support (10 Favor): If any Player played Boundary Claim, Claim Revocation, Seizure of Assets, or The High Court against you, you can play Lawmaker's Support to nullify the effects of the Card played against you.
Lower Taxes (15 Favor): If the Tax is above 0 Gold, it is lowered by 1 Gold.
Monopoly Grant (10 Favor): Pick a RESOURCE. Until next Turn, only you can sell/buy that RESOURCE at the MARKET.
Raise Taxes (10 Favor): If the Tax is below 5 Gold, it is raised by 1 Gold.
Royal Coinage (5 Favor): You can exchange accumulated Favor for Gold, at rate of 5 Favor for 1 Gold.
Seizure of Assets (20 Favor): Pick any Tile belonging to another Player that's adjacent of any of your Tiles. That Tile is now yours. If there was a Building on that Tile, it's also yours.
The High Court (10 Favor): Target Player loses all of their Diplomatic Cards.
Warmongering (15 Favor): Every Player (except you) must pay either 5 WEAPONS or 10 Gold; otherwise they will lose all of their currently accumulated Favor.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:05:54 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BARONS of the Kingdom!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 09:13:10 pm »

Alright, so is this how I should apply?

Colour: orange
Place a Castle on H2
Place a Village on G2
Place a Workshop on I2
Place a Pasture on I1
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:47:35 am by RulerOfNothing »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: BARONS of the Kingdom! 4 more Players needed
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 11:51:17 pm »

Ye that's all that's required!
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:10:20 am »

Wait so is there any functional difference between farm and pasture?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 12:19:21 am »

The color of our glorious new kingdom barony shall be RED PINK! AHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! *dramatic lightning strike*

C @ G7.
V @ F7.
W @ H8.
F @ G8.

Spend that starting 5 Favor on a Royal Coinage card, quick! That shit decays, I'm not going to waste what I have of it!

Sell off 4 food and buy up all 5 glass on the market! Gotta please the nobles, make an impression before anyone else does!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:21:25 am by Egan_BW »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 02:41:50 am »

Quick question: how many buildings can we build in one turn?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 04:18:36 am »

What's this,  a Haspen game? I guess this was inevitable!

Colour: Green
Castle: C3
Village: C4
Workshop: D3
Pasture: B3
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:11:37 pm by Kashyyk »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 07:12:29 am »

Quick question: how many buildings can we build in one turn?

Good question ;vc

I will tie that in to number of Castles to make them more useful.

EDIT: And done.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:15:57 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: BARONS of the Kingdom! 2 more Players needed
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 04:05:29 pm »

Wait so is there any functional difference between farm and pasture?

You can (and have to) choose to turn Livestock into either Food OR Cloth. Grain on other hand is used purely to make Food.
SigFlags!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BARONS of the Kingdom! 2 more Players needed
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 04:28:28 pm »

'W'ORKSHOP: Turns GRAIN and LIVESTOCK into FOOD and/or CLOTH.

Well, that's not implied by the Workshop text, but I see where it states that now. Though, this does mean that Farms are quite strictly worse than Pastures, except for possibly in Quests, which is a really really niche use.

Farm = 2 Grain = 4 Food = 4 Gold
Pasture = 2 Livestock = 4 Food OR 2 Cloth = 4 Gold OR 8 Favor

Given all this, why would I ever build Farms?