Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad March together?  (Read 1040 times)

Justicar_ab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Squad March together?
« on: May 12, 2019, 06:20:08 pm »

So I noticed that Goblins march together and charge together. but my dwarves go what whatever speed they have. so it results in the fastest dwarf getting surrounded and killed before the rest reinforce him. how do I have the squads march like the goblins?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squad March together?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 10:04:13 pm »

You wait until Formations is a thing.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 03:43:57 am »

Tedious, but you could rearrange your squads according to speed (armor user skill, agility and endurance, I think).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 04:08:10 am »

Or just dress everyone in Slade.  ;D

The thing to remember is (at this point in development), your dwarves are undiciplined berserkers while the invading enemy are a "proper" army.

Conversely when you send your dorfs to attack enemies, they not only demonstrate discipline and tactical sense, but even their crossbowdwarves contribute to the effort.

It's one of the mysterious of the dwarf fortress universe (to be worked on, eta unknown).

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 02:38:49 pm »

so it results in the fastest dwarf getting surrounded and killed before the rest reinforce him.

There are several factors that can come into play. Dwarves report for duty when they are ready, after collecting equipment. If you issue a "move" order to a safe staging area, your dwarves will trundle in at their own pace; once assembled, you can 'move' them out as a group. Avoid using long-distance 'move' orders--that just increases the disparity between the slowest and fastest dwarves. Instead, order your dwarves to 'move' close to the battlefield, then order them to 'move' into combat. Don't use 'kill' orders; once the target dies, the 'kill' order is automatically canceled, and any dwarves who haven't yet reached the battle will wander off to do something else. (You can issue 'kill' orders for multiple targets, but there will be some delay as targets are recalculated.)

In general, a little disparity is good. Dwarves with high armor-user skill will reach the battle first, drawing enemy attacks before the less-skilled dwarves arrive. This allows the trainees to get in a few attacks before they're knocked senseless. But if your trainees are very slow to arrive, it's unlikely they have enough skill to influence the battle at all. A skilled military dwarf can frequently survive 10:1 odds (and worse, for a limited time), but there are random factors that make combat unpredictable.

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 11:02:51 pm »

Thank you for the response. it was actually extremely helpful. thank you
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!