Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Armless harpy issues  (Read 2796 times)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armless harpy issues
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 07:58:26 am »

I re-test all on arena. When harpy have only gasp teeth, she cannot wear gloves. When harpy have also grasp feet, she can wear gloves on feet and can wear gloves with chausses, or can wear boots. I not test this on embark, but I think, handwear both footwear will be strange. I will use grasp teeth.
vestigial single digit hands like bat claws/thumbs at the end of their wings for grip and climbing could have been a alternative.

I dont think Eric Blank nessescarily over-exaggerated the importance of grasp=gloves, left and right hand are seperate tags in the body raws applied over the top of different hand templates so gloves might have a pre-requisite for hands or feet to be present ignoring others. not entirely sure.
Bat-like claws is good idea. But how make it?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 10:29:49 am »

My memory is rusty, but it'd be a digit claw attached to the arm, which could be a connector for the *Wings* anatomy if it isn't connected to the wings directly.

You could make the wings more complex or less complex but essentially just like how you' have a hand you'd put this grasping claw, so that when the wing is chopped off, it takes the claw and everything else attached with it (like limbs), if the claw is needed for walking across the ground losing it (or the attached wing limb) might knock the harpy to the ground with a limp to use a crutch instead. [GRASP] and [STANCE]

Ill have to apologise that body raw's aren't my exact area of expertise so here's the DFwiki body token page

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 11:35:11 am »

I make grasp mouth and harpy not wear gloves. So, I will use grasp mouth in my mods. Grasp teeth is cheating, because harpy have a lot of teeth and can have 30 weapons in one mouth.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 11:41:40 am »

My memory is rusty, but it'd be a digit claw attached to the arm, which could be a connector for the *Wings* anatomy if it isn't connected to the wings directly.

You could make the wings more complex or less complex but essentially just like how you' have a hand you'd put this grasping claw, so that when the wing is chopped off, it takes the claw and everything else attached with it (like limbs), if the claw is needed for walking across the ground losing it (or the attached wing limb) might knock the harpy to the ground with a limp to use a crutch instead. [GRASP] and [STANCE]

Ill have to apologise that body raw's aren't my exact area of expertise so here's the DFwiki body token page
I probably will remake bats and harpies: add them detalised wings - hand with one finger and vanilla wing. But further.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 04:51:32 pm »

I totally just assumed mouths should end up wearing gloves too. :P

That would mean all our cats must be running around with gloves on their mouths too, which is clearly not the case!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 04:58:52 pm »

I totally just assumed mouths should end up wearing gloves too. :P

That would mean all our cats must be running around with gloves on their mouths too, which is clearly not the case!
I think, gloves wear only on pair left/right.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 11:11:10 pm »

I was working on a mod myself before that had harpies. I forgot if i released it, but i gave them a whole new body, with the wings doubling as graspers, which sadly have no [CLUMSY] tag. I didnt think to make their feet graspers too since i figured i solved my own problem
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 11:30:47 pm »

In the section of the HARPY that is [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] add this
Code: [Select]
[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:STANCE][BP_ADD_TYPE:GRASP]feet can now grasp, no new body parts needed. if you want to make anything else be able to grasp just change the 1st selector tag to the part(s) you want.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 04:53:31 am »

I was working on a mod myself before that had harpies. I forgot if i released it, but i gave them a whole new body, with the wings doubling as graspers, which sadly have no [CLUMSY] tag. I didnt think to make their feet graspers too since i figured i solved my own problem

Clumsyness is poor agility attribute (makes them fall through hatches, especially over busy ones and on stairs irregularly and also move slowly), since losing grip of something isn't really a thing without taking damage, pain resistance (willpower) will make them probably less likely to lose weapons due to collapsing in pain from injuries.
Pages: 1 [2]