Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Armless harpy issues  (Read 2783 times)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armless harpy issues
« on: May 12, 2019, 07:34:11 am »

Harpies have no arms. They cannot work in workshops, haul items and even wear clothes. But can be performers.

Can harpies wrestle? How make them more useful? Will they wear gloves?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Armless harpy issues
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 01:11:25 pm »

Add a grasp token to their feet. The same string that adds a geldable token to most male mammals lower bodies can be turned around to instead add GRASP to all BY_TYPE:STANCE on harpies. That'll let them pick up items, then.

Additionally, almost all of your questions would be better posted in the general modding questions thread instead of making new threads. Please post further questions there.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:14:53 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 01:25:30 pm »

Add a grasp token to their feet. The same string that adds a geldable token to most male mammals lower bodies can be turned around to instead add GRASP to all BY_TYPE:STANCE on harpies. That'll let them pick up items, then.

Additionally, almost all of your questions would be better posted in the general modding questions thread instead of making new threads. Please post further questions there.
Will harpy wear gloves on feet?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 01:38:47 pm »

Yes

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 02:17:03 pm »

Yes
With boots? How make them not wear gloves?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 04:01:23 pm »

Not sure if you can, as far as I know, gloves will always be worn on body parts with GRASP and shoes will always be worn on body parts with STANCE. I suppose you could just not give the harpy civilization any gloves, not sure how that would work out with preferences and things, and if they found gloves they would still wear them

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 07:36:37 am »

Not sure if you can, as far as I know, gloves will always be worn on body parts with GRASP and shoes will always be worn on body parts with STANCE. I suppose you could just not give the harpy civilization any gloves, not sure how that would work out with preferences and things, and if they found gloves they would still wear them
I embark as goblin with tame harpies. They was in shoes and socks, not in gloves.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 08:18:22 am »

I embark as goblin with tame harpies. They was in shoes and socks, not in gloves.

It's possible the STANCE tag of their feet overrides the GRASP tag you added in terms of clothing, but it's also possible they just spawned with shoes and they can still equip gloves

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 04:31:31 pm »

If they are part of their own civ, you can probably add a stance to the wings and then add a clothing & armor type called a 'wing guard' to keep them sufficiently covered and then whatever to put on their talons. Naga people in masterwork being snake-bodied have something similar in a 'tail guard'

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 09:14:09 am »

If they are part of their own civ, you can probably add a stance to the wings and then add a clothing & armor type called a 'wing guard' to keep them sufficiently covered and then whatever to put on their talons. Naga people in masterwork being snake-bodied have something similar in a 'tail guard'
They also are part of goblin civ.

What if add grasp to teeth (on fett it not work)? Will harpies wear gloves on teeth?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 03:23:23 pm »

Yep.

You could change their body plan to the normal humanoid on, and add wings after that, that would solve the issue. They'd have six limbs then though, so not at all the usual harpy body plan.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:25:51 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 03:36:59 pm »

Yep.

You could change their body plan to the normal humanoid on, and add wings after that, that would solve the issue. They'd have six limbs then though, so not at all the usual harpy body plan.
This will be nightwing, no harpy.

Will they work without [EQUIPS]?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 07:11:55 pm »

Technically yes, but if you want them to not go insane from being stressed out about being naked youll have to change their personality facet for bashfulness to straight zeroes. Adventurers also will not be able to wear armor or anything.
I make Spellcrafts!

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 05:00:00 am »

Yep.

I add to harpy teeth grasp. But embark harpies in new world not wear gloves.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 07:06:59 am »

vestigial single digit hands like bat claws/thumbs at the end of their wings for grip and climbing could have been a alternative.

I dont think Eric Blank nessescarily over-exaggerated the importance of grasp=gloves, left and right hand are seperate tags in the body raws applied over the top of different hand templates so gloves might have a pre-requisite for hands or feet to be present ignoring others. not entirely sure.
Pages: [1] 2