Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is magma's effect on natural structures?  (Read 1550 times)

TC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is magma's effect on natural structures?
« on: May 11, 2019, 06:57:25 pm »

What happens when magma contacts non-magma-safe natural structures?

I'm reading the wiki's magma-safe page. It says that only magma-safe materials "will not melt, burn, evaporate, or otherwise take damage when in close contact with magma". Then it lists several exceptions (constructions, fortifications, non-submerged doors and floodgates, etc.) Natural structures aren't mentioned among the exceptions, so the page is saying that natural structures will be damaged by magma unless composed of magma-safe material, right?

I'm uncertain because the page explicitly says that natural ice walls/floors/ramps/stairs will melt in contact with magma. Is that meant to be an example (i.e. non magma-safe natural structures, like ice, melt), or is it meant to identify a particular exception (i.e. no natural structures, except ice, melt)? Very confusing.

-TC

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: What is magma's effect on natural structures?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 10:58:12 pm »

Certain types of structures / materials are special and more likely to be affected by temperature change calculations.

Natural Ice walls / floors have to melt with the seasonal temp changes, so they also melt with other temp changes.

Coal veins used to be able to be lit on fire as well, though I am not certain if this is still true.

Water also can be kept melted during cold weather through this method.

Other natural structures are not affected in the same way. If it could affect everything, then magma could easily end up having you burn through every z-level on its way back to the magma sea and completely destroy frame rates. No good.

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 02:50:21 am »

Grass can be set on fire. It burns to ashes after a while, but it's enough to set adjacent tiles on fire. You don't want to let anyone you can't afford to lose onto the surface during a wildfire.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 07:57:17 am »

Coal veins used to be able to be lit on fire as well, though I am not certain if this is still true.
You are mistaken - only mined coal has ever been flammable (and I'm fairly certain that it still is), while unmined veins are just as fireproof as ordinary stone.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

TC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 11:47:44 am »

You guys are focused on the exceptions (ice, coal), which I appreciate, but no one has yet said what happens in the general case. What happens if magma comes into contact with a natural wall/floor/ramp/stairs made of X? If I read the wiki correctly, then nothing will happen if X is a magma-safe material (like chert), but some damage will occur if X is not a magma-safe material (like shale). Is that correct or not? And if correct, then what is the nature of the damage?

-TC

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 01:08:02 pm »

What happens if magma comes into contact with a natural wall/floor/ramp/stairs made of X?

Engravings (and maybe carved tracks?) in stone floors will be removed, vegetation will catch fire, mud may be removed, and the tiles will be set to 'hot'. Other than that (and excluding ice), "natural" or "mined" rock and soil walls/floors/ramps/stairs are effectively magma-proof.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 08:20:32 am »

Consider "constructions", compared to "buildings", "liquids", "items", and "units". The "constructions" are immune to magma and heat effects, but the others are not and they will respond to heat according to their material's melting points. So, you can use mined ice to build walls and floors on the surface and they will not melt during the summer. They probably will survive magma being poured onto them, but I have not tested this.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.