Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: (SG) System King of Yggdrasil  (Read 3299 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) System King of Yggdrasil
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 02:57:20 pm »

The opinion of what to do:

Courting: Er could be fun but only two actions, got plenty of date sim time another point.

Primary:

Any of these three are worth while. Really.

Secondary:

Alliance with Wraith Rings or the Wii. One is a good deal to dig fingers into more pies, the other a attempt to get my re recast should Alexander still hold a grudge.

No reform. If it got dad in trouble, it would be foolish to attempt something this early on. We are a system King, but we are not invincible, and kind whelp for now.

The rest:

Training/studying magic

If Research function means new toys, great but not now.

The important choices here is building a strong base, keeping it.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 08:30:02 pm »

I think we need to tone down Odinson's murder instincts - It's a major liability because it marks Serpentina for assassination. If she dies, then everyone's going to suspect him, and either:
He did it, we execute him, and thus have lost TWO of our friends...

Or he DIDN'T do it, we execute him because everyone pointed fingers at him, and then there's a great big mystery as we figure out who REALLY dunnit. Probably someone ELSE in our bloody court. Thus, 3 DEAD.

Minimum of two dead over some silly reasoning. We need to fix this, big time.

...in the meantime, I like Serpentina. Is it possible to blend two Focuses into one, say,  Train Melee Combat with Serpentina?
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 08:54:59 pm »

You will drag relevant NPCs into your personal focuses. If you train Melee, there is a good chance Serpentina gets involved.

Although you could do Train Melee Combat + Befriend (Serpentina) if you wanted to be sure.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 09:11:18 pm »

Well, I was still thinking we could do another focus besides focusing on Serpentina - Probably try to talk down Odinson from murdering one of our finest warriors/potential love intrests.

What? I like big girls!

So my plan is going to be something along the lines of...

Focuses:
Befriend Odinson. Note-Try to figure out why he wants Serpentina so dead. We need to figure out how the bomb works so we can defuse it.

Train Melee Combat. Note-More useful than simply Befrending Serpentina, as she will likely get involved in this. Maybe try to request to spare with her personally if she's free.

Delegations:
Mimir to Ship Repairs. Request updates, these can be a decent judge of their skill. He should be good if father wanted him in particular.

Vladmir to Support Midgard. He should know exactly how to assist in their war, at least from the skies.

Muspelheim... Ugh, I want to say Odinson, but would that conflict with our Befriend?

Secure Alliance: We need to do this sooner or later, to ally is to grow in strength.

Woo: Ugh, this is important, isn't it. I can feel the divide. Not to be put off for too long, but we need to do it personally.

Reform Feudal System: NOPE, NOPE NOPE. PUT ON HOLD INDEFINETLY UNTIL WE PROVE TO BE A COMPETENT KING WHO KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING AND DOES NOT DESERVE A REVOLUTION.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:14:43 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 09:24:14 pm »

Good call with Odinson, he must be dealt with too in a friendly fashion. Cannot have our own murdering each other.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 09:29:07 pm »

Or worse, like my paranoid brain cooked up, someone starts up some bloody intrigue, kills Serpentina, pins it on Odinson, then laughs as the court burns down.

We may be space travellers, but this does not grant us relief from the foolishness of man.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 09:52:45 pm »

Technology is no indictation of a culture being wiser.

The only true testament we go beyond base and sometimes malevolence is our conduct and beliefs.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 09:59:47 pm »

My first instinct is to pick Ivar to oversee ship repairs. Assuage his pique that we've taken over his ship, and provide an object lesson that we reward those who put up with the inconveniences of being near a willful King.

And I would put Queen Sister Serpentina of Midguard in charge of supporting her brother on Midguard; I don't see why we shouldn't trust her in it. I mean, it might keep her busier than otherwise, so some might find that negative. Depends on how closely we adhere to the "too much like a sister" already in our exposition.

Absolutely do not touch Feudal Reform at least until ship repairs are damn close to finished. These are not only families, they're guild monopoly families and we can't afford to tick off the only manufacturers of starboard thruster throttle linkages or any of the million and one other parts.

-----

I'm divided on whether to pursue the Cricket People alliance. I kinda do want it. But the benefits presented are extremely front-loaded, without serious renegotiation all the future stuff is entanglements that could bite us in many ways. Just one example, using us to politically control human worlds in another system. Our knowledge of human metahistory practically guarantees that "Philadelphia" and "Bastille" in the "Enlightenment" system are crawling with anti-monarchy revolutionaries. They're probably proud of it, even.

Let's not forget the bit at the top about handing prosecution of magic users to the Void Knights. My first inclination is to grant it, unless we intend to do the torturing and recruiting for our own private army. Considering the venom still surrounding the "Witch King" that's a questionable proposition. Easier to have the Void Knights quietly provide a Merlin to our Arthur (to mix mythologies).

-----

I guess I'm just not as worried about Odinson; it's implied that plenty of people want the Twins dead.
Or worse, like my paranoid brain cooked up, someone starts up some bloody intrigue, kills Serpentina, pins it on Odinson, then laughs as the court burns down.
I think the more likely scenario is that someone sets up a patsy, Serpentina notches her 28th kill, and then we have to deal with the fallout of her being 'caught' bloody-handed.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 12:28:27 pm »

Befriend Odinson

Serpentia/Melee training friendship.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 01:41:24 pm »

After meeting everybody and spending a few moments in thought, you begin to delegate tasks. Ivar is tasked with getting the other two ships fixed, and Mimir is assigned to aid him in that quest. Likewise the job of rounding up more support for Midguard is to be shared between Serpentina and Vladimir.

You then plop down on The Admiral's Chair (which would have been a throne had you been ruling from The Breslau), and make your first decree, delegating all justice against members of the Witch King's regime to The Knights of the Void. Lil'Giaus and Serpentina are clearly happy with the decision, and you can tell by the look on his face that Odinson isn't thrilled, but aside from that the room is tough to read.

---

You spend most of the first few weeks of your reign training in Melee combat. You wake up early (or rather just before the Lindbergh's main shift wakes up, time of day is rather fluid in space) and spar with Serpentina... Spar may not be the best word here. Get beat up by Serpentina. She has been your better in Soul Sword combat since the three of you ignited blades for the first time, and that was before she grew huge and got a prosthetic eye that allowed her to anticipate your moves. Nowadays you count a spar as a win if you can make Serpentina take a single step back at any point during the match, and even that is a rare occurrence.

More often than not, you have to follow-up your sessions with Serpentina with a trip to the medical bay; Your friend's combat style involves throwing alot of knees and elbows, and knees and elbows cannot be set to stun. You usually have some nasty cuts and bruises, and sometimes even sprains and fractures, for the bio-engineers to patch up.

If they patch you up quick enough, you can enjoy a quick meal with Serpentina before she hops in her Hammership and flies down to the surface of Muspelheim to beg the local nobility for men and supplies. During these meals, your friend often complains about the difficulty of her task. The Nobles of Muspelheim do not like her. She figures some want her dead. This she can deal with, but the real problem is the competition. Apparently a group of rich young Muspelheim noblemen have somehow managed to gather up a large fleet of Hammerships and Longboats, during wartime no less, and are planning a massive raid of some secret off-system location. Many people who would otherwise help with Midguard have already committed their forces to the raid in exchange for a share of the profit. Serpentina informs you that Vladimir has had a bit more luck courting the lords of Nidavellir, but even his success has been limited. He hasn't been sharing details with her, but the Queen Sister wonders if King Alexander is hindering the Lord Admiral's efforts on his planet.

After your first meal, you spend a long shift drilling alongside the security forces of the Lindbergh in hopes of better learning to use the Gravity Axe. Gravity Axes are the main weapon used by the soldiers of most human wars, and present a nightmare matchup for Soul Sword users; The head of a gravity axe will break if parried by ignited soul metal, but not before sending its deadly shockwave through the blade and into the poor void knight's body, shattering their arms and ribs, and likely collapsing their lungs. The only safe way to parry a Gravity Axe is with either an energy shield or another Gravity Axe. Since you figure you could well end up facing Axe users in combat, and there is no energy shield tutor present, you will learn to use the Gravity Axe yourself. You find that there is a good deal of crossover in technique between the two weapons, and after only a few days drilling with the enlisted men you are nearly their equal.

After drills, you typically enjoy another small meal with the soldiers you have drilled with, often sharing in their somewhat disgusting ration packs as a sign of solidarity. "I grew up on rice gruel at the Void Temple of Undine," you tell them, "I'm not yet used to the fancy stuff they feed Kings." The soldiers come to love you for spending time with them, and affectionately begin calling you "The Rice King".

By the time you are done with the soldiers, Lil'Giaus is awake. Your master has already taken on a half dozen students, children of the noble houses of the Lindbergh with hopes of one day joining your order. Before Lil'Giaus offers you any instruction, he has you spend about two hours each day helping him with the children, one of whom turns out to be the bastard of Lord Admiral Odinson's youngest son. It is through this child, named Loki-Peter, that you get the in you are looking for with Odinson and his family. You offer the child some private lessons, and your father's old friend invites you into his home to administer them.

It is after one of these lessons that you finally work up the courage to confront your uncle.

"You know, I don't blame the Seljuk twins for what their father did to my mother."

"Your mother AND you, child." The Lord Admiral corrects.

"I was two days old when the illness set in, and I made a full recovery. I don't remember any of it. He didn't do anything of significance to me. You can't even prove that he cursed the pregnancy." You protest.

"He said the pregnancy was cursed. Queens do not die in childbirth under the care of the King's best bio-engineer. Infants do not randomly develop diseases from before the days of Odin in the nursery. It was his fault. It was all his fault. Your queen mother was my sister-in-law, and one of my best friends. I cannot forgive what was done to her."

"And Fenrir and Serpentina are my best friends. Hell, they are basically my family! ...I didn't get to know my family growing up. I don't think I could forgive anything done to them. They face no danger from you, right?"

Odinson laughs. "Ha! Do I look dumb enough to assassinate my King's friends? No. If I were younger, and the mutilated cunt wasn't so terrifying, I might slaughter them in honorable duels, but nah. Its your aunt Asla you have to worry about. I would have dropped the matter of killing the twins years ago if she hadn't been so insistent about it, gods know I'd drive a deeper wedge between your father and myself each time she made me bring it up."

"How worried about her should I be?"

"Pretty worried." He admits, "She told me in bed the other night that she doesn't fear you in the slightest. She knows you cannot act against her without alienating the deep houses."

"Do you think me talking to her would help?"

Your uncle pauses to consider your question. "I suppose it couldn't hurt... We are taking a family trip out to civilized space in about a week to catch Spike's latest film premier. You can tag along for that if you wish, or if you'd rather something more intimate, I can just host you for dinner sometime. Hell, I could suck it up and invite the ugly bitch too if you want, just cannot promise your aunt wont poison her food."

---

The mood on the bridge is grim today. The engineers have finished their assessment of the Breslau, and found the damage to be worse than anticipated. To restore your flagship to its former glory, they will have to land it on the planet. The Breslau is 84 miles long, and 14 across at its widest point. Landing it will be no trivial matter. People, both commoner and noble, will be displaced from their homes. When you express concern, Ivar tells you that he and Mimir have the situation under control, and that you need not worry about it.

First Officer Kay is expecially glum. She had managed to work herself into the position of running the day to day affairs of Muspelheim, as you had not specifically delegated anybody to that task, and now she is powerless to stop the Landing of the Breslau from turning planet politics on their head.

---

After wrapping up your training one evening, Lil'Giaus puts his hand on your shoulder and offers you an opportunity. "I'm taking Serpentina down to the Fire Temple tomorrow. I have a bet with Paladin Ragnar that my best student can beat his best student. You are welcome to tag along if you wish, I'm sure we can find somebody eager for the chance to spar with the System King. Otherwise you can run lessons for the children in my absence."

You sigh. You had actually had plans for tomorrow. The division of soldiers you drill with is getting a day of leave, and are heading out for a day at the Hammerfair. There is going to be a big multi-man melee, with a brand new hammership offered as first prize. You don't need the prize, you already have one of the best hammerships in the system, and don't think you could even win the whole thing anyway, but the brawl would be good experience, and you enjoy spending time with the soldiers. Furthermore, you figure your troops will adore you even more if you can use your status as System King to get them into one of the Hammerfair balls after the fight.

Now you will have to decide if it is more important to please your men or to please your master.

Suggestions are now open. You are not limited to picking from a list. Your focuses merely direct the events and opportunities you are presented with.

List of Focuses and Court Members. You may not change Focuses at this time, but you may re-assign and re-delegate Primary and Optional focuses.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:52:20 pm by Weirdsound »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 08:18:41 am »

I say we attend the Hammerfair.
  • Pro: It will be a chance to talk with Wing Lead Karen and get to know her a bit better.
  • Pro: The party afterward will be an opportunity to socialize and maybe pick up another marriage candidate, or more info on this secret raid.
  • Con: The duel event could just as easily have interesting people to meet (although I'd guess unlikely to find a better marriage candidate among Void Knights than Av').
Afterwards, use our focus befriending Odinson to also suck up to Aunt Asla. Either the movie or dinner, or both, would be fine; don't bring Serpentina along until we get to know the situation better.

Appointments are working out about as I expected. One suggestion: pair Lil'Giaus with First Officer Kay. His gift for politics can help advise her youth, while she is his introduction to the noble families. This way we have someone we trust to be second set of eyes on the situation, and if all reports come back positive we can move one to other duties later.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2019, 05:53:08 pm »

"I'm sorry master. I'm afraid I can do neither tomorrow. The security detachment I drill with has a day of leave, so I'm taking them to the Hammerfair to partake in a melee."

Lil'Giaus nods. "Sounds like fun yer'grace. Just don't get your ass beat too badly. Would reflect poorly on me that would!"

As your master turns to leave, you stop him. "Might I ask a favor of you? Could you help First Officer Kay run the affairs of Muspelheim? You could be the experience to counterbalance her youth, and she could be the local contact to feed your shrewd political mind. At the very least, I want somebody I trust to keep an eye on her until I know she is competent and loyal."

Lil'Giaus nods. "Yeah. I can do that for ya. Was getting bored, with nothing to do all day except blade drills for you and the Kids. Serpentina has been too busy to take lessons every day. So I'll do it."

---

Twelve soldiers sit around your long-table in the passenger area of your Hammership, as your Squire-Pilot flies you to the asteroid fairgrounds where the Melee is to take place. Over the course of the seven minute flight, the Squire-Pilot reports that you are drawing a crowd. You suppose that was inevitible. Your personal Hammership is painted in the dark purples and blues of the Void Knights, and bears the mark of House Richthofen (A Ragnarok class capital ship in transit across a red sun). You ship couldn't belong to anybody but the new system King. There will be a crowd to watch you in the melee.

You land on the asteroid, a two mile long rock that some rich person or another has blessed with air and gravity, and pulled into orbit around the crippled Breslau. You smile and wave to your assembled subjects, and spend a few hours enjoying the rides and sampling the festival food with your soldiers. You are careful not to overeat, or touch any alchohol at all, before the fight.

Forty five minutes before the melee is scheduled to begin, you don your gear. Your Void Knight Armor, which conveniently enough is a deep shade of royal purple, weighs no more than a heavy jacket, and can protect you from small arms fire, not that you expect people to bring blasters into a melee. On your back is strapped both your soul sword and a gravity axe that you borrowed from the Lindbergh armory. Imbedded in your belt buckle is a Soul Pulse, a magical gizmo granted to you by the Void Knights that can grant you a small boon while your Soul Sword is ignited. Yours grants thirty to fourty five seconds of invisibility.

Once equipped, you are ushered out into the arena, where one hundred and twelve other fighters are waiting. Most are humans from various capital ship security detachments, wearing a shielded jumpsuit and wielding a gravity axe. You also spot a handful of other Void Knights, and a few exotic alien fighters. Many of the other fighters, and everybody in the crowd, has their eyes on you. As King, expectations are high, and there is a target on your back.

The announcer carefully explains the rules to all present.

1: Weapons with a non-lethal setting must use their non-lethal setting.
2: You are eliminated if you inflict a lethal or life threatening injury on an opponent.
3: You are eliminated if you are disarmed, and do not draw, recover, or otherwise gain a weapon within 15 seconds.
4: You are eliminated if you verbally or nonberbally yield.
5: You are eliminated if a judge deems that you have been hit by an attack that would have been lethal had the offending weapon not been set to a non-lethal setting.
6: Last fighter standing wins a Hammership.

A horn is blown. Signaling for the melee to start. You briefly consider your opening tactic...

Choose one of the following:

List of Focuses and Court Members. You may not change Focuses at this time.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2019, 06:02:36 pm »

-Find a few of the soldiers you came here with, and form a team to try and get through the early stages of the melee!
Build that soldierly brotherhood, build it high!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2019, 06:40:06 am »

-Find a few of the soldiers you came here with, and form a team to try and get through the early stages of the melee!
Build that soldierly brotherhood, build it high!
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2019, 07:09:18 am »

Oh yeah, sure, but an epic soul sword duel sounds fun too once there's enough space clear. Gotta see if we're really improving!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4