Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Siege weapons mod  (Read 2851 times)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege weapons mod
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:03:32 am »

Idea: if goblin siege not use ballista and catapult, we can make siege (giant) bow with ballista arrows and siege sling with rocks. How do it?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siege weapons mod
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:13:54 am »

I only need some hardcoded parametres of ballista arrows and catapulted rocks.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 01:08:08 pm »

Siege weaponry cannot be modded. The best we can do currently is make fake siege engines that are actually creatures.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 02:19:07 pm »

Siege weaponry cannot be modded. The best we can do currently is make fake siege engines that are actually creatures.
I not want modificate siege engines. I want make hand weapons for orc with siege ammo. So I need know hardcoded characteristic of vanilla siege ammo.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 02:57:05 pm »

I not want modificate siege engines. I want make hand weapons for orc with siege ammo. So I need know hardcoded characteristic of vanilla siege ammo.
I misunderstood. Well... you can't set siege ammo as regular ammo. But you could just make a "giant arrow" ammo type and go with that. But if you must know the hardcoded properties, you'll want to ask around the DFHack thread.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 02:01:18 pm »

Even knowing the properties of a ballista and catapult, I doubt you are going to be able to add something equivalent to the raws. The shooting mechanics for ranged weapons and for siege weapons are just too different. You only have SHOOT_FORCE and SHOOT_MAXVEL on the bow to change, and the attack values on the ammo. You might be able to rig something up in dfhack using a projectiles script to mimic ballista

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 02:43:53 pm »

Even knowing the properties of a ballista and catapult, I doubt you are going to be able to add something equivalent to the raws. The shooting mechanics for ranged weapons and for siege weapons are just too different. You only have SHOOT_FORCE and SHOOT_MAXVEL on the bow to change, and the attack values on the ammo. You might be able to rig something up in dfhack using a projectiles script to mimic ballista
I only need size of ballista arrow and catapult stone for ammo, force and maxvel for weapon. I not rebuild all features of siege engines.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 03:37:56 pm »

Right, but even if you were able to get the size of the ammo and the force and max velocity of the weapons, whatever you make won't behave anything like siege engines. The actual shooting mechanics are just different between siege weapons and normal range weapons. There are too many hard coded values such as maximum and minimum shot distance, momentum (which isn't just a velocity*mass calculation as there are hidden modifiers), trajectories (whether it is lobbed like a catapult or shot straight), etc... Your best bet to create something similar is to alter the values of the ammo and weapons, not to exactly match the values of the siege ammo and weapons, but instead to try and match their effect. For instance, I would guess you would need to nearly triple the shot force of a bow and quadruple the size of an arrow in order to get something that is close to a ballista.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 03:49:51 pm »

Right, but even if you were able to get the size of the ammo and the force and max velocity of the weapons, whatever you make won't behave anything like siege engines. The actual shooting mechanics are just different between siege weapons and normal range weapons. There are too many hard coded values such as maximum and minimum shot distance, momentum (which isn't just a velocity*mass calculation as there are hidden modifiers), trajectories (whether it is lobbed like a catapult or shot straight), etc... Your best bet to create something similar is to alter the values of the ammo and weapons, not to exactly match the values of the siege ammo and weapons, but instead to try and match their effect. For instance, I would guess you would need to nearly triple the shot force of a bow and quadruple the size of an arrow in order to get something that is close to a ballista.
I need know hidden properties of ballista and catapult. Normal weapons will be more useful than real siege engines, but not for dwarves.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 05:10:18 pm »

Checked in DFHack

For ammo comparison
Ballista arrows have a weight of 235 (when made out of iron), normal arrows have a weight of 0 (no matter what they are made from)
Ballista arrows have no minimum or maximum hit distance, normal arrows depend on the users skill
Ballista arrows have no attacks (they do damage based on their impact), normal arrows do damage based on their attack
Ballista arrows have the piercing flag set to true, normal arrows do not

For weapon comparison
Ballistas don't seem to have a SHOOT_FORCE or a SHOOT_MAXVEL, they just create a special fixed projectile, a normal ranged weapon can never replicate this without

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 05:39:00 pm »

Checked in DFHack

For ammo comparison
Ballista arrows have a weight of 235 (when made out of iron), normal arrows have a weight of 0 (no matter what they are made from)
Ballista arrows have no minimum or maximum hit distance, normal arrows depend on the users skill
Ballista arrows have no attacks (they do damage based on their impact), normal arrows do damage based on their attack
Ballista arrows have the piercing flag set to true, normal arrows do not

For weapon comparison
Ballistas don't seem to have a SHOOT_FORCE or a SHOOT_MAXVEL, they just create a special fixed projectile, a normal ranged weapon can never replicate this without
I need characteristics of this projectile.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 05:40:46 pm »

I don't think you understand. You can't make an arrow with the characteristics of a ballista arrow. It's just not possible

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 06:01:38 pm »

I don't think you understand. You can't make an arrow with the characteristics of a ballista arrow. It's just not possible
I want make arrow with absolutely identical effect to shooted creatures.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 06:08:41 pm »

I want make arrow with absolutely identical effect to shooted creatures.

Not possible

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 06:12:37 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, don't ballistae penetrate units to some degree, too?
Yeah, the mechanics are very different.
If you want an intense overbearing ranged weapon, maybe you can make it so the bolts are practically like thrown axes in terms of their edge and weight values.
Pages: [1] 2