Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Identifying Remains  (Read 1031 times)

TC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Identifying Remains
« on: May 06, 2019, 12:44:05 pm »

My fledgling fortress was devastated by a were-possum attack. It has taken me years to restore stability, and I'm finally attending to some long-neglected cleanup tasks.

At some time during the troubles, a corpse appeared in the bottom of a pond. I have now drained the pond and recovered "Kul Binienthep Thora Famo's partial skeleton". However, my dwarfs are uninterested in Kul Binienthep Thora Famo. They won't inter him or haul him to a refuse pile. I dumped him just outside the mayor's suite, and he just lies there, ignored. He doesn't generate miasma and he doesn't seem to be causing bad thoughts. I've triple-checked that he isn't forbidden.

I am using Legends Viewer to try to figure out who he was, but I can't find any record of him. There are lots of Kul's in my world's history, but no Binienthep, Thora, or Famo.

Can anyone suggest what is happening here? It seems like an odd situation, having a dead body that no one cares about, and with no history. However, I'm not an expert at Dwarf Fortress, so maybe there is a perfectly logical explanation I'm unfamiliar with.

-TC

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying Remains
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 01:00:20 pm »

Could be a non-dwarf visitor. They can't be buried, and I'm not sure Legends Viewer uses untranslated last names.

Do you have any "Kul" deaths in your fort events in Legends Viewer?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 01:02:03 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 03:13:55 pm »

You could also search your gamelog.txt for some portion of the name, there could be a "this person has arrived" message", or combat reports.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

TC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 04:14:01 pm »

I'm not sure Legends Viewer uses untranslated last names.

Translated last names – that was the clue I needed. Before now, I never quite realized that characters in Dwarf Fortress have alternative versions of their names.

It turns out this was the human Kul Planksavant, a were-kangaroo who escaped my notice amid all the were-possum chaos. He killed five of my dwarfs, then drowned in the pond. I'd be happy to put him in a coffin (I don't bear a grudge), but since that isn't an option, I suppose I'll just put his bones out to decay in the sun.

-TC

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 04:30:57 pm »

Also note that corpses of sapient creatures are NOT hauled to a refuse stockpile, but to a corpse stockpile (not to be confused with the corpse subsection of refuse stockpiles). It used to only be dorfs that were hauled to the corpse stockpile, while everyone else ended up in the refuse one, scaring the crap out of anyone who saw them. The logic was changed when visitors were introduced.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 04:47:15 pm »

It turns out this was the human Kul Planksavant, a were-kangaroo who escaped my notice amid all the were-possum chaos. He killed five of my dwarfs, then drowned in the pond.

I don't think werebeasts drown in this version, but I could be wrong.

You might be able to engrave a memorial slab to them, and that might serve more information about them. Or you could retire the fort and look them up in legends mode.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 08:32:55 pm »

I don't think werebeasts drown in this version, but I could be wrong.
They do while in human form.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 01:26:13 am »

Weres OUGHT to drown in were form as well (unless the were form is amphibian), as the insta-heal happens during transformation into the were form. I admit not to have checked the raws, though.

TC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 06:41:46 am »

Also note that corpses of sapient creatures are NOT hauled to a refuse stockpile, but to a corpse stockpile (not to be confused with the corpse subsection of refuse stockpiles).

Thanks for the tip about the corpse stockpile. That explains why my dwarfs were ignoring the remains.

-TC

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 02:05:23 pm »

Weres OUGHT to drown in were form as well (unless the were form is amphibian), as the insta-heal happens during transformation into the were form. I admit not to have checked the raws, though.

No werebeasts need to breathe:
they can breathe underwater, feel no exertion, cannot be stunned and are immune to pain, nausea, dizziness and fevers. Werebeasts need no food, water or sleep to survive, nor do they need to breathe, meaning they cannot be drowned or strangled.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 02:06:59 pm by Bumber »