Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No labor options avaliable?  (Read 885 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
No labor options avaliable?
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:17:10 pm »

One of my rangers has no labor options available, everyone else has labor options. Why is this and is it fixable?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No labor options avaliable?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:48:26 pm »

One of my rangers has no labor options available, everyone else has labor options. Why is this and is it fixable?
Is he a visiting monster slayer? You can't set their labours. They're here for death and glory.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 03:02:51 am »

Elaborating on Shonai_Dwellers response: You don't have any labor control over residents. Mercs can be placed in militia squads (except as the leader position: you need a citizen for that spot), and can be ordered around for military purposes, but no work. Scientists research on their own, while monster slayers tend to spend most of their time in the fortress socializing/praying/reading, with very occasional short visits to the cavern (soon broken off because they get hungry/thirsty/drowsy), to eventually litter the cavern with their own body parts (to lure dorfs to their doom to gather that refuse while whatever produced the litter is waiting for new victims).

Also note that if you've made the mistake of accepting a performance troupe (mistake because this process is bugged, so any off site members of the troupe [typically the majority] will be bugged "friendly" units hanging out around the map edges if the visit), the troupe may contain members with non performance job descriptions, but they'll still behave as resident performers, i.e. eat/drink/socialize/pray/read until they petition for citizenship, without any labor control until the actually become citizens.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:06:55 am by PatrikLundell »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 08:15:50 am »

Dwarfs that are in a strange mood or emotionally broken also have unavailable labors (kids too, but they are not rangers).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 08:58:08 am »

As I don't get any visitors to the fortress, I think it may be that last one. Thank you for the help. Now I just need to look in thoughts to see what broke them, I need to manage my fort better

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 01:19:40 pm »

Probably because they are a resident and not a citizen. Residents are given residency to do one job, citizens can do any job. After a few years (two I think) the residents will ask for citizenship and then they can diversify. Mercenaries, however, don't unless you use DFhack, or maybe if you recruit them as an adventurer and then retire in the said fort. I can't back up that last part though.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 07:32:07 am »

As I don't get any visitors to the fortress, I think it may be that last one. Thank you for the help. Now I just need to look in thoughts to see what broke them, I need to manage my fort better
Are your caverns revealed? That will get you monster hunter visitors. They don't care about taverns.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 12:20:03 pm »

Are your caverns revealed? That will get you monster hunter visitors. They don't care about taverns.
Oh yes, they most certainly care about taverns! A tavern might not be necessary for them to arrive, but they have an annoying tendency to socialize/pray/read rather than go down the wide open path to the cavern and litter it with pieces of themselves therein (and possibly those of one or two unlucky cavern critters before they encountered something that fought back).

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:12:27 pm »

There may be a work-around if you've really, really got to have a specific mercenary/monster slayer as a citizen, you don't want to overtly cheat with DFhack, and you don't mind waiting a while in-game:

I once had a monster hunter who wasn't hunting monsters, so I sent her off to an allied site. Unexpectedly, she returned a year or two later, but as a peasant, and later petitioned to join as a citizen. I've never tried to reproduce it because I haven't had the need to gain citizens this way, but if it's a general thing and not a fluke I suppose it might be helpful for mercenaries and monster slayers in long-term forts who are edgy because they can't craft.