Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tandem Overhauls?  (Read 981 times)

Warthog32332

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tandem Overhauls?
« on: May 04, 2019, 07:01:29 pm »

Has anyone ever tried using multiple mods, primarily overhaul mods, in tandem? I mean for example, OldGenesis and Masterwork? I assume since for the most part all they do is add things it would work, although I know there are some variances that might mess things up, for example Masterwork simplifying all stone might not include the new stones added by Old Genesis. Well I don't actually know but I would expect so. I could also see forseeable issues in the two magic systems. Regardless has anyone had any experience trying this?

Warthog32332

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tandem Overhauls?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 12:51:21 pm »

Bump, would like some input on this :/

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 01:11:50 pm »

Alright so: they probably won't work together without quite a lot of work from you.

The reason being that they probably not only modify the same things (including messing with material templates), but also tend not to have this newfangled trend amongst us modders of adding prefixes to everything for maximum compatibility.

You could just drop 'em both together and test it out for yourself.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 01:15:18 pm »

Merging mods that edit the same files always leads to some kind of issues, mostly things from the first installed mod being overwritten by the latter, unless you do the merging manually by editing only parts of the text files. Merged overhaul mods will have these same issues, and likely a lot of them as overhaul mods are the ones with most edits to the vanilla files, but also the issue that the mod-specific stuff that does survive the merge probably won't be in line with the other overhaul mod (eg. OG stones not being simplified).

Warthog32332

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 01:19:08 pm »

Ok so say I did want to undertake the process of merging mods, what steps would I need to take to make them work together? I'm guessing its not something as difficult as it is tedious.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 03:25:53 pm »

Correct .

You get a program like winmerge or beyond compare, and manually check the differences between the files, then copy the lines you want from mod a into mod b, without overwriting their changes. It can take a while, depending on mods. If things have the same Id, you need to rename one of them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Warthog32332

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 04:21:25 pm »

Correct .

You get a program like winmerge or beyond compare, and manually check the differences between the files, then copy the lines you want from mod a into mod b, without overwriting their changes. It can take a while, depending on mods. If things have the same Id, you need to rename one of them.

Great I'm just about ready to dive into that but one more question, are the ID's clearly denoted in the lines? I could consider myself a Dabbling coder/programer/whatever so I'm not the most well versed in it. I suppose what I'm getting at is it straightforward enough that I'll probably know what I'm looking at when I open up the files?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 04:52:33 pm »

The IDs are clearly denoted, they are whatever is at the very start of a new object. [CREATURE:DWARF] means a new creature with the ID "DWARF" is being defined, [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] for a new entity (civ) with the ID "MOUNTAIN" etc.
Note that you need to edit any references with the IDs in them as well, so a if you rename a tissue template from "LEATHER_TEMPLATE" to "LEATHER_TEMPLATE_MW" you need to change any [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:LEATHER:LEATHER_TEMPLATE] to [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:LEATHER:LEATHER_TEMPLATE_MW]. This can be done pretty safely with replace-search, as long as you keep to the right files.

Warthog32332

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 05:17:54 pm »

The IDs are clearly denoted, they are whatever is at the very start of a new object. [CREATURE:DWARF] means a new creature with the ID "DWARF" is being defined, [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] for a new entity (civ) with the ID "MOUNTAIN" etc.
Note that you need to edit any references with the IDs in them as well, so a if you rename a tissue template from "LEATHER_TEMPLATE" to "LEATHER_TEMPLATE_MW" you need to change any [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:LEATHER:LEATHER_TEMPLATE] to [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:LEATHER:LEATHER_TEMPLATE_MW]. This can be done pretty safely with replace-search, as long as you keep to the right files.

Oh boy. This is going to take some time. I'm up for the challenge though thank you!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 12:00:12 pm »

Another option for "merging" large mods that I've used in the past is to create a third mod by extracting the parts of the other two that I liked. For instance, you can go through and extract only the creatures you want from both mods and put them in a new one. You won't get everything from both mods, but you also don't have to go through everything, which for those two mods can be quite a lot