Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Millstones: How do they work?  (Read 971 times)

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Millstones: How do they work?
« on: April 30, 2019, 08:53:11 pm »

I'm using the latest lazy newb pack

I have a waterwheel generator, it's hooked up to several gear assemblies and axles, some of which lead to millstones.  The phoebus tileset animation plays, telling me that the axles are turning and the millstones are in use, but whenever I assign them jobs they are cancelled with a message "Jobs removed from unpowered millstone."

How do I get this to work, or am I stuck using querns?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:04:09 am by Mathalor »

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Millstones: How do they work?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:58:46 am »

Pressing q and examining one of the axles tells me that I need 188 power and I have 200 power.  I built the generator from the water wheel page on the wiki.  I may have more water than they recommend in it, though, as my dwarves did not stop filling it when the page said that they would.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:02:19 am by Mathalor »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 07:16:42 am »

You might need to position your gear assembly in a different spot adjacent to the millstone for it to have access to the power.  Maybe above / below if the orthogonals don't work.  The wiki doesn't have a very definitive list of setup configuration requirements, but you can't go wrong with gear assemblies.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 11:00:56 pm »

You've also got to make sure that the power isn't dipping below 188 at any point.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 08:00:45 pm »

I'm using the latest lazy newb pack

I have a waterwheel generator, it's hooked up to several gear assemblies and axles, some of which lead to millstones.  The phoebus tileset animation plays, telling me that the axles are turning and the millstones are in use, but whenever I assign them jobs they are cancelled with a message "Jobs removed from unpowered millstone."

How do I get this to work, or am I stuck using querns?

Would this be a water reactor? If this calculates flow based on water levels moving, at some point you may end up with the system not producing any power. This will interrupt your jobs.

The best thing to do is use a windmill generator, a river, or a flat surface flow generator (usually on the surface, or in an aquifer).
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 02:02:31 pm »

I may have more water than they recommend in it

Too much water will cause the tiles under your waterwheels to remain full, preventing "flow" and causing power loss. You can try removing some of the excess water, or add just add more power (so a momentary loss of one waterwheel won't disable your millstones).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 02:04:32 pm »

a single channel is the easiest way to remove a small amount of water
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!