Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43

Author Topic: Proc Gen Mafia 2 -GAME OVER - TOWN VICTORY  (Read 99322 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Proc Gen Mafia 2 - Day One - Magma Alpaca Revenge
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2019, 02:13:42 am »

For fu-

Right, I thought the weekend wouldn't count as time but it does so I guess I should actually lay my hand down since apparently I'm so amazeballs at making nothing look like something I have everybody convinced I've wanted to lynch IcyTea since my first post of the game. I fucked up thinking the day ended on Tuesday, not Sunday, meaning I can't pull as much out of IcyTea due to baby goats nibbling on my fingers this morning and travelling the rest of the day.

VOTES AREN'T JUST FOR LYNCHING, ELSE RVS WOULD BE REALLY FUCKING STUPID. I VOTE PEOPLE TO PRESSURE THEM, I PRESSURE THEM BY MAKING MY VOTE LOOK REAL (WHICH I'M REALLY FUCKING GOOD AT APPARENTLY) BECAUSE OTHERWISE IT WOULD JUST BE BRUSHED OFF AND WOULDN'T ACHIEVE ANYTHING. YOU WILL KNOW MY VOTE IS REAL WHEN I TELL OTHER PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR THE PERSON I'M VOTING FOR. UNTIL THEN... WELL I GUESS ASSUME IT IS AND GET INTO THIS MESS. SORRY.

Firstly, this shit with Icy Tea: 1 obvious RVS vote is not obvious, apparently. Again, it was my first post of the game, guys; I am a good player but I'm not so good to think I've found scum in less than 2 hours. I voted for IcyTea partly because Nirur was voting for him at the time (two votes is twice the pressure) and I noted a discrepancy in his thinking - namely, he said knowing roles was pointless, while evidently interested in whether or not people have powerful roles in this post, specifically these two questions:

He expressed confusion over what I meant here. "oh-hos" I thinks "an opportunity to foster discussion", so I ask him to look for what he thought I meant, but then move my vote to MaxSpin, 'cause I thought another RVS vote elsewhere would be more useful at that point, given IcyTea had apparently gone to bed.

I come to find that 2 IcyTea thinks I wanted him to build a case on himself. My initial RVS vote has borne fruit! This post raised a number of red flags. Firstly, I didn't ask him to present a case, I asked him what he thought I was talking about. In my experience, scum tend to anticipate where a line of questioning is going and guide it toward making them look townie, in this instance, presenting a case I haven't made and then proceeding to defend against. He correctly pointed out part of what I wanted him to find, but then anticipated a conclusion that I had not made that he could easily defend.

Secondly, he knows I'm a strong player, having played a few games with me, and instead of having this phantom case presented in objective terms, he presents me as a fool, "ehrmahgerd rolefishing" etc. in an effort to discredit a case that I, again, have not made.

3 This bothered me a great deal. Why is IcyTea presenting me as an idiot drawing a conclusion I haven't made? I am thus emboldened to return my vote which now has more bite behind it, in which I say "you were partly right in the evidence you found, this is the extra bit, this is the conclusion I made." and then I tell him I think he's scum because a vote that doesn't look real is like a broken pencil: pointless.

4 His response to that clarification is to vote me for focusing on RVS stuff, continuing to misrepresent me even though he is quoting me literally saying I have issue with the discrepancy between his words and his actions, which merely happened during RVS. This is because the conclusion I actually made is difficult to defend: he was doing something he said was pointless, a hypocrite. He also said I haven't done any other scumhunting, which is rather unfair given I said would have no time to post because I was busy working, then I was busy working, then I was busy travelling, then I was busy having baby goats nibble my fingers, then I was busy touristing and traveling, and now I want to go to bed but the day ends in like 12 hours so I need to explain wtf I was doing and try to explain it three different ways because three different people are actively asking me about it when I want to go to sleep.

The one major post I made (the post in part 3 below) when things were getting more interesting was not focused solely on him, and happened during the travelling when my phone wasn't dead. Who knew four people trying to charge their phone from one port would be so hard? Navigator got dibs, 'cause I was quite interested in getting to and from the destination.

5 Anyway, I clarify again and he misrepresnts me again and I then realise there's not as much time for me to draw blood from this stone as I expected, and need to actually

TL;DR: 1 RVS vote on IcyTea #1. Why is he a hypocrite?
2 IcyTea presents me as a fool drawing a conclusion I didn't make, and have never made, using only part of the evidence I asked him to look for in my RVS vote. The anticipatory nature of where he thinks I'm directing the line of questioning and his attempt to pivot it to a position he can easily defend is tremendously unsettling. Why is he putting words in my mouth and defending against that?
3 My vote now has teeth to it; I tell him the conclusion I actually made and call him scum, because I want him to believe I think that, otherwise he would just brush it off.
4 He OMGUS's and misrepresents me again, pointing out that I'm focusing on his RVS questions when I am focusing on him doing something he said was pointless.
5 I clarify again, then he misrepresents me again, because I'm voting for him, so why would I not want to build a case on him.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that's the only scumpick I have.

You'd also be forgiven for thinking it's my top scumpick.

Leafsnail responds to RVS without much content, mostly theory. Friendly post, can't say anything bad about that other than, again, no content.

Comes out of nowhere defending IcyTea - he's never seen scum rolefish, ergo rolefishing means someone isn't scum - and asks why I hadn't said why it was poor play. He also says I'm trying to run up a lynch on IcyTea, which is a lie, because I hadn't tried to get anyone to vote for IcyTea at that point. Or KitRougard, who was engaging in actual rolefishing. Wtf, I thinks, he doesn't know IcyTea or KitRougard are town, why is he discouraging me from voting anyone, never mind those two specifically?

I respond, laying out what bothered me about IcyTea in the first place (the discrepancy between his words and actions: hypocrisy, filtered through the exemplar of his rolefishing) in a deliberately taciturn, obtuse manner about poor play not being a scum-exclusive thing, and that I haven't tried to run up any lynch. I did this because Leafsnail hadn't been talking, and this would force him to respond.

He responds thus which is full of all sorts of nonsense I need to unpack. A quote to solve our problems, forming the crux of my case:

I find your heavy focus on rolefishing suspicious, hector13. You haven't at any point explained to the people engaging in it why it's poor play or considered that they may be mistaken - rather, it feels like you're using it as an opportunity run up lynches on people.

I'll accept it looks like my focus is on the rolefishing, but pretty much everything else here is wrong. Poor play is not scum-exclusive, and I have at no point suggested I want other people to vote for IcyTea. Try again?

I could offer examples of why rolefishing isn't necessarily negative but that would be providing IcyTea with an out, and I don't feel like doing that right now.

In saying that, still kinda RVS and I don't like that...

Nah. I'm happy with what I'm doing.

I find this response confusing. You say that my post is wrong, but you don't elaborate on what the problem with it is and instead agree with my main point: that playing poorly is not the same thing as being scum.

This is not what I agreed with, and shows a complete disregard for my clarification about why I was voting IcyTea in the first place. I never once said IcyTea was playing poorly, so that is not going to be any facet of any case I have against him.

Either willful misrepresentation or failure to engage with the game. In light of this:

You still aren't really engaging with this idea in the vote you make on IcyTea further up your post.

He read the post, acknowledged I made clarifications, but ignored it. Willful misrepresentation it is, then.

I do certainly think that rolefishing is anti-town, but I seriously doubt that a mafia member who knows it's anti-town would do it anyway, as the extremely unlikely benefits (rolefishing almost never works and the advantage it confers is not particularly big) is hugely outweighed by the negative attention it brings you. Of course a player who isn't aware it's anti-town might do it, but that applies regardless of alignment.

I'm not sure why he thinks I care about his thoughts on rolefishing. Again, he read the post in which I clarified I was more interested in the discrepancy between IcyTea's words and actions, his hypocrisy, but apparently I'm worried about rolefishing, and he thinks scum wouldn't do it, so IcyTea can't be scum.

Why is he defending IcyTea, of whom town!Leafsnail knows nothing about, again?

The idea that you don't want other people to vote for IcyTea is even stranger. I would've thought that the entire point of voting for someone while making an argument against them is to try and sway other people to your cause. Are you saying that you actually don't want anyone else to vote for IcyTea in spite of your case against them? Or are you objecting to me drawing this simple inference in the absence of you explicitly stating it?

I don't think your vote looks like RVS at all. Why are you trying to distance yourself from it like that?

This is interesting. I explained here a little bit of detail on what I thought a vote was, particularly that it's not just a tool for lynching people and alluded that it was your number 1 content-generating power, so it's quite obvious why I hadn't tried to get anyone else to vote for IcyTea yet: I wasn't done gathering information. Why am I going to piss away my day by blowing my load so early? At least I thought it was too early at that point... hey turns out I don't know to make sure I have enough time to engage in silly games of content-generating chicken.

Readslist, no particular order.

Anyway, Leafsnail top scumpick. Not on the same team as IcyTea, but I don't think IcyTea is town so... IcyTea is third-party, Leafsnail is scum that is buddying IcyTea.

KitRougard might also be third-party, but I know he's new. Might be town.

Shakes, Superdorf, Nirur Torir are town, I will not vote for them today. Anyone who does so is bad.

TricMagic is thus bad. Misguided, perhaps, but I'm not accepting Superdorf as a reasonable choice for a lynch today, get with it, man.

DA is probably town, slim chance he's on a scumteam with Leafsnail. Would've liked to delve into that further but WHOOPS, WHERE DID THE TIME GO.

Starver is gone.

MaxSpin is bad. Willfully refuses to engage, don't understand it, will never understand it. Presumably learned forum mafia from a place with a strong focus on the night game?

RGU also bad. I don't know why you refuse to try. It's hard and scary, sure, but you say you know you need to get involved, so just get drunk and do it!

One of RGU MaxSpin and Tric are probably scum, but that's not factoring in the empty space that is Starver.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2019, 02:14:29 am »

PPE: ha, spend hours writing a post and then worry for 45 seconds as it sends.

god damn.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2019, 02:21:40 am »

A vote count would be nice, too.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2019, 03:13:22 am »

Does anyone really talk more because of being voted? I find this baffling. If I post in the thread, it is because I sat down with intent to post in the thread before even reading it. The patterns of others do not strongly suggest, to me, that they talk more because of being voted either.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2019, 03:26:45 am »

In a rush, will respond to hector's wall later. Short version: I've seen this play before; bad faith is a scumtell that I won't let slide twice.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2019, 08:03:34 am »

I'm not awake enough to parse through that defense yet, and we still have almost 5 hours. My initial reaction is that going all "SCUM! YOU'RE SCUM" in to try to add pressure is a habit I have, and not necessarily bad faith.

A vote count would be nice, too.
By my count, we're at this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kit: Your vote is a holdover from RVS. Do you have anything to say for the lynch?
Shakerag: You've been quiet, and threw your vote on Spin days ago. Same question, anything to say before the lynch?

Spin:
I thought you were in favor of no lynching D1. Now you're not only in favor of one (and willing to ability-kill if you had one), you're pushing a lynch on someone who's not even playing, and so can't argue against it.

What changed?
Are... are you just not very bright? I'm only asking out of genuine confusion.
I mean, it's hard for me to imagine how it could be unclear to someone that "given someone is going to be lynched or otherwise killed, this is who I would pick" can coexist perfectly well with "I would prefer not to have that happen yet". I mean, I've read the writing on the wall, it's obvious enough that the no-lynch train isn't getting off the ground here. Besides, lynching someone who, as you say, is not even playing practically IS a no-lynch. I mean back at my last internet home, we used to lynch a single specific person who literally wasn't playing first every time, both as a form of no-lynch and to shame her for quitting, but I don't see that getting traction here.
I don't like to give honest reads because having everyone else know them changes the future. I mean to say, what I expect from other people and how I interpret what they do has to change. Nevertheless.
For real now? Are you going to be like this all game? Your motives are unquestionable and anyone who asks about them is either an absolute idiot for not knowing your obvious genius, or scum looking for your super-pro-town secrets?
No. We don't have to guess at your motives, no matter how obvious. You give your motives when asked, and we decide whether they match up with what you're doing.
If Starver is mafia, my top pick (ie, immediately most lynchable candidate) is currently TricMagic. If town, well, you — that is to say, IcyTea31. If a third party, I'm leaning Leafsnail. There are of course second picks, in some cases very close seconds, but I'm not at the point of wanting to lay out all cards yet.
Oh, but I want your cards, what if you die tonight? Then we'd spend the rest of the game not knowing what links you have on Starver, Tric, Tea, and Leafsnail. How could that not be more valuable than whatever secrecy plot you have?
If you think someone is scummy and stuff doesn't add up, say so.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2019, 08:12:37 am »

It is something I do all the time, because otherwise nobody pays any attention. If there were more time, I’d be poking DA and Leafsnail more about it because their responses to it are interesting, and IcyTea’s OMGUS when I corrected him on what my conclusion actually was told me my vote was in the right place to generate more content.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2019, 08:25:51 am »

Wake up in the morning, time is counting down. It's time to choose, MaxSpin, why you?

Need to read this page too, given the wall it started with.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 05, 2019, 08:37:33 am »

For real now? Are you going to be like this all game? Your motives are unquestionable and anyone who asks about them is either an absolute idiot for not knowing your obvious genius, or scum looking for your super-pro-town secrets?
No. We don't have to guess at your motives, no matter how obvious. You give your motives when asked, and we decide whether they match up with what you're doing.
[...]
Oh, but I want your cards, what if you die tonight? Then we'd spend the rest of the game not knowing what links you have on Starver, Tric, Tea, and Leafsnail. How could that not be more valuable than whatever secrecy plot you have?
You could choose to see it this way, or you could choose to see that I am displaying my confidence in your ability to figure things out just fine on your own without my explanation. I assure you, I have complete faith in you, personally.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2019, 08:49:05 am »

- IcyTea31: You know, what's that point you put about quicktopics... Confused. Are you playing a game?
- Starver: No game posts. Given they aren't on in the first place, No Read.
- randomgenericusername: RNG, Waffles. You don't give me the best vibes as for some reason, I can't remember any pointed topics you've brought up yourself. Slight Scum Read.
- hector13: More waffling, though mostly pointed out by others. Also, your Vote does not seem to be generating anything other than talk. Town-lean.
- KitRougard: Pretty sure this is normal for you Kit. Not enough to make a definite read on though. Neutral.
- SuperDorf: Below. Just, below.
- TricMagic: Solomon Complete. TricMagic.exe is ready to run Town OS. For BB!Melt, BB is vicious so far.
- Nirur Torir: Has been posting. Hasn't been arguing, just jumping in to make a few points, talking for a bit, then withdrawing.
- Maximum Spin: Scum-read. Third Party? I don't think mafia want a no lynch, as they want to bring town's numbers down quickly. An SK on the other hand would likely be safer if there are more targets however. Same with how he seems to be playing.
- Deus Asmoth: Not much for me to go on, lurky without a reason and not much posts. Scum-lean.
- Shakerag: How drunk are you? Slight Town. Thanks for the Illya by the way. She definitely helped out.
- Leafsnail: Jumped in. Feels a bit too sharp, like a blade. They are just now talking, and feels too sharp for that. Doesn't help this is the first I've seen of them in the forums... Read: Too Sharp

This is from before. For now though, some more thoughts.

Town:
hector13-Likely Town. His vote was generating talk, mostly. And that's enough here, given the misrepresentation by his opponents.

Scum/TP:
MaxSpin: Still think you are an SK, or town with a kill ability. Either way, you seem completely focused on a solo game, which reinforces my feeling you aren't town. Your own Connection list is also rather ludicrous to me.
Dues/Leafsnail: For similar reasons, one too sharp in the defense of others, and one too reactionary to the posts of others.
Icytea: Leaning. This is mostly off my belief that hector13 is town.

dorf, I did vote you for a reason. And noticed that you goofed. Just didn't bother to correct you past the first attempt. You may want to examine hector13's argument, if his opponents have been misrepresenting their case.

Post-nin'd
MaxSpin, what do you have faith in us to do specifically? And at least give an overview of my connection to the others.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2019, 09:01:57 am »

MaxSpin, what do you have faith in us to do specifically? And at least give an overview of my connection to the others.
I said I have faith in Nirur Torir personally. To lynch scum and win the game.

But that's not what I'm responding for, and ordinarily I would ignore it as a silly question, but in this case I want to answer the second part.
I never said you have a connection to anyone, I just said that, if Starver flipped scum, I'd be looking at you. The reason: if Starver is scum then he is most likely teamed with someone who would fail to notice or account for a missing partner. You have been playing your other game and you honestly seem to be in your own world at the best of times anyway. If not you then one of the other noobs. There is an additional smaller chance that one of the top-tier players is deliberately taking advantage of this, of course, while the 'middling' people are least likely. This is, of course, all before taking any other information into account.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 05, 2019, 09:09:04 am »

Hector, Tric, and Spin. I feel like you're all making bad arguments.

If there were more time, I’d be poking DA and Leafsnail more about it because their responses to it are interesting, and IcyTea’s OMGUS when I corrected him on what my conclusion actually was told me my vote was in the right place to generate more content.
"If the lynch on me is called off, I can help scumhunt more, really!"

[...]
You could choose to see it this way, or you could choose to see that I am displaying my confidence in your ability to figure things out just fine on your own without my explanation. I assure you, I have complete faith in you, personally.
Your response is trying to appeal to the part of me that wants you to like me. I am tempted to lynch you in reaction (ppe: And for that buddying just now).
Except..

Suddenly Tric is in here defending Hector and finally doing something, trying to get you lynched. He's calling out everyone attacking Hector for misrepresentation, but Spin's not and yet Spin's the vote.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2019, 09:17:26 am »

Leafsnail is not quite to the point I'd pick him over the others, and the IcyTea/hector arguments usually happen.

Also, I did add that old list over my post. Even back then, I felt hector to be more town than not.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2019, 09:20:43 am »

@Nirur: Nah, it was me saying if I’d had more time to actually post and get more reactions I’d have more information on the two people that piqued my interest.

I was busy and also assumed weekend time would be free time like it usually is, so it’s my own fault for having friends and making assumptions. Ah well.

You make a point about Tric, though, but why is his buddying and defense of me more notable than Leafsnail’s buddying and defense of IcyTea?

You’re also still voting for DA. Is he scum?

Tric: you say MaxSpin could be town with a kill ability, but that you don’t think he’s town. Which is it, and why are you voting for him?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 05, 2019, 09:25:58 am »

SK is my assumption. He feels that way to me. I've also made my point about a no lynch being better to an SK's survival, since they end up less likely to be hit.

My vote started off as pressure, but his posts have led me to believe this.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43