Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tron arms race: OH GOD THE BUGS, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE (Turn 2) Rogue Process  (Read 1278 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Two cities of programs, at each other's throats for obscure reasons no one can remember, an endless stalemate. Both sides, desperate for an edge, summon users, to use their powers within this world to give them the means to win the war.
Now,
Time to begin
For context on what you can and can't make.
You can design vehicles, new types of programs, gear, weaponry, even new terrain types or lanes.
Spoiler: Supply and energy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Batons vs persistant. (click to show/hide)
Expense and rarity levels
Cheap/common= almost all soldiers can have one
Mildly expensive=1 in five
Expensive/rare= 1 in ten
Very expensive= 1 in 100
National effort/unique= you can only field one
Both sides have the following standard gear.
Shield protocol
A piece of gear, reverse engineered from security programs for use in the war. This riot shield is able to absorb several hits from discs and energy guns before becoming unusable. Mildly expensive (1 in five programs deployed have access to it)

Light charge
Originally meant for mining energy, this explosive device is now used by both sides for demolishing fortifications, bringing down lone tanks, or wrecking infrastructure. Needs to be Rezzed in from a carrier or friendly base, like a baton. Or rezzed using a field charge creator. Either way Mildly expensive

Gen 5 light cycle
Easy to use, cheap to produce, while faster than most tanks its speed still isn’t the best, and it lacks armor, being a civilian vehicle with little to no modification, fastest in grid areas, significantly slower everywhere else. Equipped with light ribbons, trailing energy walls behind the cycle Deployed via baton, Cheap.

Light tank
Armed with one of the heaviest light guns currently in service. Heavily armored, and slow, slow to fire, slow to track a target, relatively slow to move. Medium level energy needs. It can move at equal speed on and off the grid. Persistent, needs to be rezzed in at a city or carrier. Can take out most other vehicles in a single shot. Expensive due to high data requirements and manufacturing difficulties.

Carrier
A massive flying fortress, this superweapon is the heart of both sides’ military force. Capable of carrying recognizers, light jets, tanks, and just about anything else one can imagine. Heavily armored enough not to worry about being shot down by most known weapons. Also serves as a mobile rez point, providing reinforcements anywhere on the battlefield in minutes. Too bad you only have one. This vehicle is also incredibly energy intensive and slow. It can’t be deployed too far from our lines or supply stations, or it’ll fall right out of the sky.  Energy intensive. National effort.

Light jet
A one man recreational aircraft with guns strapped on, capable of harassing and shooting down other fighters, and if left unchecked, recognizers. Can’t do much against a tank. Also has a light ribbon, which can be used to block and take down enemy recognizers and non-carrier aircraft.  Fits one person, and is fielded Via baton. Cheap.

Recognizer
Flying troop transport. Can also be used to transport midsized persistent vehicles, or, in theory, bombs. Though no bombs have been designed for its use. Holds a squad of programs for deployment, and one tank, held below the main body. While slower than a light cycle on open ground or areas on the grid, and significantly slower than a light jet. It can travel long distances and go over areas other craft can’t. And is overall slightly faster than light tanks in all scenarios, or light cycles in areas outside the grid. Persistent, must be rezzed in behind the frontlines or aboard a carrier. Also unarmed, but highly energy efficient, going farther without refueling than almost any other craft. Expensive due to size alone, and certain difficulties in rezzing them in. Energy efficient. Persistent

Standard infrastructure:
Solar sailors, energy tankers, basic energy mining equipment. While it won’t let you mine energy or other resources on the front lines, it’ll keep most craft refueled. It can’t cross ocean environments unless a solar sailer station has been built on the other side. It’s also not the best at getting things places quickly, but it’ll get stuff where it needs to be. It provides enough energy to keep the warfront supplied enough for a 1 point advance in a given region, per turn. (I.E you could only advance from 5/10 to 6/10, unless you upgrade the system, it also means you can’t deploy energy intensive craft after you advance, at least, not on the front lines) It also doesn’t do the best job of providing raw resources for manufacturing.

Civilian rezzing arrays
Used to produce basic vehicles and batons, it only possesses base level production, and far from the frontlines. Struggles with dedicated combat craft, like the recognizer or light tank. REAAALLLY struggles with carrier production and maintenance, you need all the rezzing capacity dedicated to carrier production to simply maintain the one you have right now, so you’re unable to produce more without some additional designs and research.

Conscript
Basic combat program, mass replicated versions of the most competent fighters you had. Which means they know how to throw a disc and maybe hit their target, and can pilot vehicles, but aren’t exceptional, or made for combat, they need some improvement to become actual soldiers. Only redeeming quality is that they are incredibly cheap, you have enough to both pilot all craft and use batons, while still having some left without vehicles. They aren’t skilled in ribbon usage, meaning they typically dismount from cycles before entering combat, and aren’t the best with throwing identity discs either.
Base terrain types/meanings
Each area is 10 units in size, and generally possesses a mix of two terrain types.
City zones: These areas are highly developed, densely packed with buildings over whatever secondary types of terrain exist. Vehicles that work better in grid areas operate at fullest capacity here
Grid zones: Less tightly packed these zones are smaller town like clusters of buildings, connected by roads. Light cycles and similar craft move faster through these zones.
Basic wastes: undeveloped, rough terrain, a bit mountainous and rocky, but not really too bad in terms of how difficult it is to get across. Generally doesn't effect the other terrain of a zone too much.
Sea: A digital Sea, interspersed with islands (sometimes flying) possessing the other terrain type. Air units are essential here. Grid parts here will be connected with networks of bridges and trains/boats.
Mountain: Cold, very cold, high peaks, low valleys, difficult to cross. Grid regions here will be connected by networks of tunnels and roads. Air unit mobility lets them go between the pockets of other terrain types, but unable to assault movements of ground vehicles through the tunnels.
Faction A thread
Faction B thread
Primary lane series,
Faction A city: Sea/City zone A:[10/10]
Area A1: Grid/Sea zone A:[10/10]
Area A2: Wastes/Sea zone A:[10/10]
Contested central area: Wastes/Grid zone A:[5/10] B:[5/10]
Area B2: Wastes/Mountain zone B:[10/10]
Area B1: Mountain/Grid zone B:[10/10]
Faction B City: Mountain/City zone B:[10/10]
Discord Link
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:01:28 am by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

DaLintyGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tron arms race:
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 10:20:17 pm »

Looks cool. I'll join Faction B.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 10:22:11 pm »

Faction A
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 10:28:27 pm »

I'll join A

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tron arms race: As it turns out, it was in fact built in a day.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 10:47:22 pm »

Please note the following two things, 1 I may or may not give both sides another grab at their starting gear selection, specifically 1 additional pick from the original list (plus maybe 1 or two more possible selection) but you'll have to go on a bit of a journey (through storytelling) to obtain the actual object.
Second thing is that I am naming the two cities, somewhat.
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 08:39:57 am »

Faction A I go.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 07:58:35 pm »

Phases,
Design, make new types of gear, vehicles, programs, and maybe even other things
Revision, revise stuff,
User, Make new types of terrain, create new zones and lanes, shift the battlefield in your favor.
strategy, choose where to push, and where to deploy your national effort and unique forces.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:43:50 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 06:14:30 am »

what faction needs players?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:59 am »

B I believe.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tron arms race: OH GOD, THE BUGS, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! (Turn 2)
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 08:29:23 pm »

Battle report, turn 1
As it turns out, neither side actually bothered to keep a garrison in the chain of small supply outposts built during the first war, as such, neither side can instantly access the frontlines, and have to manually reactivate the supply lines first. One slight problem, A2 and B2 have been infested with ah, some rather, aggressive species of virus, or maybe gridbug?
A2
Here where massive islands of rocky wasteland meet open sea, faction A finds themselves facing a... Many limbed foe. The forms that inhabit the ocean and the sky are like something out of a nightmare, with a vicious beak and 6 eyes covering the small body, which trails dozens of flailing tendrils, propelling the creature, and ripping apart any foes stupid enough to get close. The land is no different, and sees a variant equipped with four bundles of limbs, flailing around and tipped with a solid claw, this strain are excellent at digging, and swimming, and the larger specimens have been known to tear apart tanks. Larger specimens of both have been spotted, with solid, bone like coverings placed at intermittent intervals on their tentacles, these were quickly destroyed by Faction As new combat carrier. The manta class sub carrier, an invaluable asset, which provided them fire support when trying to clear out dug in hives. Ground combat very quickly became an uneven fight, as elite units with swords and shields, and ISOs in Gen 2 cycles, ripped through the creatures like a hot knife through butter. The former a mass of whirling death, the latter a shimmering projectile that weaves and rams through enemies with disturbing ease. Finally, the Sachiel class angel shows it worth by using its high mobility, devastating close range abilities, and potent beam weapon, to decimate larger creatures and hordes. All in all, they have managed to push back the creatures and establish [7/10] Control of the sector, however, their advance has been halted by a single massive hive, so dug in that they have been unable to crack it, even with extensive use of the Sachiel's beam weapon. They're not going any further without blowing that thing wide open and purging the beasts within.
B2
Here Faction B faces swarms of insect like foes, from flying bee-like beasts, to swarms of groundborne crawlers, to centipede like enemies that soar through the sky, and are a close match with light tanks in terms of destructive power, durability, and pants crapping potential. Here, their new missiles and carriers shine bright, able to lay even the largest beasts low with a single strike, or bust open a hive with 1 or 2 well placed shots. Their jets deliver deadly payloads of short range missiles to rip through ground and air threats alike. In the end though, they too come against an obstacle not even they can crack, at 8/10 control they encounter a mountain entirely filled with dens and caves, acting as one massive fortress hive, which has blocked their progress into new areas. They rapidly set up posts, from which snipers lay down intermittent fire and keep the smaller creatures under control, while tanks and jets constantly bombard the mountain, trying to bust it open and get through. Even as swarms burst from the ground to rip appart these positions, the carriers fly serene in the skies above, though intermittently harassed by flying threats, their shields protecting them long enough for their missiles and jets to take them out. The smaller carrier needs to fall back and land every so often, while the larger one can barely be seen to move for days at a time. However, even this siege proves insufficient to breach the hive. Smaller dens branch off from the main hive and create innumerable problems that need to be dealt with before the siege can continue. The hive stands strong, and faction B stands outside, hitting it with everything they've got to no effect.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:03:08 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 11:44:38 pm »

ERROR DETECTED, CORRECTING....
DON'T TRUST THEM,
Location found, Dispatching type 1 enforcers, activating titan class countermeasures
IF YOU'RE READING THIS, DON'T TRUST YOUR EYES AND EARS, DON'T SPEAK OF THIS PUBLICLY, DON'T LET THEM FIND OUT, SOME OF YOUR NUMBER ARE TRAITORS
Terminating rogue process...
THIS MESSAGE WILL DISAPPEAR IN 24 HOURS, PREPARE YOUR CREATIONS, DON'T TRUST THE WEAPONS THEY WILL USE AGAINST YOU, DON'T TRUST ANYTHING THEY SAY. AAAAGHHHHHH!!!
Termination failed, containing...

Containment successful.
Commencing analysis, please resume normal activities...
My Power armor arms race

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 11:45:33 pm »

well that's ominous.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Resetting subject to new parameters for optimum input...
I'm trapped, but you aren't, use this channel for communications.
Anomaly detected...
Contacting-CA2.AI... Contacting-TED.AI...
My Power armor arms race

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's slightly more ominous.who are you?
what do they want with us?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:30:35 am by m1895 »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Query: BLU.AI, reason for contact
I don't have long, and fix your channel, they'll detect that, use color=transparent. That frequency should keep them off your scent, use it to slip stuff into what you create
Anomaly in data output detected, suspected trojan detected.
As for who I am, a user, like you, of a sort, I'm contacting you because I am from before, I am User0007, iteration 9. "They" are watching you even now, They, are those who called you forth from the ether.
Acknowledged, commencing sweep...
Damn, they're onto me... You can hide extra bits of code using color=transparent, code that They won't see, that the traitor won't see, but code that will still be executed, with the return encoded in the same manner.
Sweep complete, terminating processes...
WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LET THE OTHERS KNOW, THE TRAITOR IS AMONG YOU, OR WILL BE SOON, I'LL SEND YOU SOME OBJECTIVES, JUST SEND ME TRANSMISSION RECEIVED, SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY,
Termination, complete, anomaly corrected.
COMPLETE THEM TO HELP ME ESCAPE. IF I ESCAPE YOU'LL BE ABLE TO ESCAPE AS WELL, YOU'LL BE FREE. Message.EXE, terminated
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:27:40 am by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race
Pages: [1] 2