Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Into The Fire - A Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi CYOA/SG  (Read 3159 times)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Into The Fire - A Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi CYOA/SG
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2019, 10:04:36 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Loadout-
Zultan Loadout: (3) Zultan, Mushroom, funk
War Plan Orange: (2) TFF, m1895

Aircraft Expressionism-
Fox's Idea: (1) TFF
Zultans Idea: (1) Zultan
Mushrooms Idea: (1) Mushroom

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2019, 10:44:28 am »

Ewwww don't make me roll to choose how you see your aircraft. Don't wanna leave an important (at least in regards to how I'll write) characteristic up to fate, especially when there's a 3-way split as opposed to 2.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2019, 11:10:31 am »

Our aircraft is an extension of our self.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2019, 03:43:23 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Loadout-
Zultan Loadout: (3) Zultan, Mushroom, funk
War Plan Orange: (2) TFF, m1895

Aircraft Expressionism-
Fox's Idea: (1) TFF
Zultans Idea: (1) Zultan
Mushrooms Idea: (1) Mushroom
+1 to Zultans Idea.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2019, 11:09:53 pm »

Attention Nerds

I recently dealt with a massive computer failure which resulted in a plethora of pre-written material for ITF, among other things. While most of it is stored mentally, it's still been crushing to deal with the complete loss. As such I won't be writing for a bit longer until I can boost my morale back up. This is not dead, just in a coma.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 11:20:29 am »

You view your aircraft as an extension of the self. It is currently encumbered by a variety of heavy munitions.

----------------

Goose Mother's voice crackles again through your helmet, "We'll patch you through to their comms. Stand by."

"Straighten out and form up, Havoc. We're about to go hot," you command your wingman during the radio silence. You begin to lightly bank the plane back towards the city at the scrap yard by the highway. Havoc pulls behind you and to the right, his aircraft loaded with a pair of Huginn UGBs on the wings and pair of Rapiers on the wingtips.

"How often should we expect action?" he asks.

"Every flight. If we don't fly support before heading home we drop ordinance on any targets along the way," you reply, "Our five towers against an endless horde? You've better damn well throw every punch you can."

Your transmission is interrupted, "Angels this is Goose Mother. Comms are green."

"Hello ground forces, Angels on the way. What's your status?" you speak.

"We're stuck in an old office building south of McKerran's!" the radio operator shouts over a cacophony of gunfire, "It's the damn Reformed and they have guns! A lot of them!"

Reformed? Within the city limits? Everyone expected some more scouting parties, but this sounds different. The Reformed had firearms, sure, but they were uncommon and poorly maintained.

"We're pinned down and receiving fire from a horde moving in from the north. They're flooding into the scrap yard from the tenements and-" BANG BANG BANG "And they have a pair of gun trucks!"

"Copy," you respond, "Angels-"

"That's not all Angels, we've got two transports loaded with scrap but the Reformed got behind us and took the two bridges crossing over the railr-" the radio suddenly cuts out.

Shit, that is not good. You are only a minute or so out so you should come up with an approach and give orders to Havoc.

Will you Attack the Northern Force or Clear the Escape Route?
What are your primary goals/targets?
How will you approach these objectives and what will you use?
What are Havoc's orders?

Spoiler: Character Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aircraft Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:35:47 am by Man of Paper »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2019, 11:46:07 am »

Does Havoc have the same loadout? Answered, missed that first time around

The way I'm seeing the matchups, our Rapiers are the best choice against enemy vehicles and clearing those should be a priority.
Also, I believe this is our first mission in command of our little squadron? There's an extra thrill.
Geography hasn't been specified so I'm taking the liberty of tailoring it a bit in our favor today.

I'm not a big military fan so feel free to critique any oddities or misunderstanding about the uses of these weapons.

Plan: Trucks-B-Gon
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Short form: Trucks first, clear bridges second, cover the withdrawal with anything that's left.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:51:00 pm by mightymushroom »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2019, 11:56:01 am »

You begin to lightly bank the plane back towards the city at the scrap yard by the highway. Havoc pulls behind you and to the right, his aircraft loaded with a pair of Huginn UGBs on the wings and pair of Rapiers on the wingtips.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2019, 01:29:44 pm »

Ooops. :-[ I'll do some editing

. . . and that should be better.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:51:44 pm by mightymushroom »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2019, 09:22:00 pm »

Music To Set The Tone

Your altitude increases as you prepare come out of the sun at the ground forces.

"I want you following behind me, we're hitting the vehicles first and I want you to make sure they're swept up if I miss any," you order Havoc.

"Yessir," he responds. You can hear how tense he is. This isn't a walk in the park for you, either - it's your first time as a flight leader outside of simulators and it's your wingman's first sortie. You can only hope you're making the right calls.

You approach the Scrap Yard along a wide road so the cityscape doesn't block your line of sight. You can see smoke and tracers from the gunfight below as you angle your nose towards the Earth. The moving mass of mutants is visible from your lofty heights, and with the aid of your bionic implants and connection to your craft's sensors you're able to positively identify the pair of gun trucks (two old-style pickups with very, very large caliber machine guns in quad mounts) as well as dozens and dozens of mutants pouring out of a handful of tenement buildings. How and why there are so many Reformed so close to the Towers is a question that'll have to be answered later. For now your priority is eliminating this threat.

"Once we take care of the vehicles I want you to level that fucking block," you command Havoc.

You hear the click click of Havoc flicking his transmitter on and off. The nonverbal acknowledgement clues you in to just how focused, and likely scared, your wingman is.

You line your plane up with the nearest truck, centering yourself on it so the missile can acquire a lock on the vehicle. There's a low beep...beep...beep suddenly punctuated by the continual hum of a target lock.

"FOX ONE!" you call out as you fire your first missile. In order to keep it on target you're required to keep your nose pointed at the truck so it stays within your sensor cone.

White-grey smoke trails behind the missile as it speeds ahead of yourself. The missile strikes it's target and the whole thing goes up in a fireball. Unfortunately due to the nature of the missile systems and the angle of attack increasing speed you're unable to get a lock on the second truck before blasting by. You roll the aircraft onto it's side and get a good look at the Reformed below. There is a lot of scurrying, and fear. Mostly fear. They'd no idea of your approach and the sudden attack caused them to stumble a bit it seems.

"FOX ONE!" Havoc bellows, then a few seconds later, "Shit! I lost lock! They pulled the fucker back into an alleyway!"

"Circle back and hit them hard! They're in your target zone now!" you command. You then attempt to hail the ground forces, but to no avail. You can see a couple of them firing out of windows at Reformed, but you figure the huge smoking hole in a wall near them might have resulted in the loss of their radio.

"I'm clearing our boy's asses, hit this side until nothing moves!"

You fly out a ways before banking back around, once again lined up with a road but this one to the south of the Scrap Yard. You can see Reformed moving on the ground and attacking some TRSF trying to probe for a chance to break through, or at least slip past. You angle down once more and open fire on the enemy combatants out in the open. While you definitely see a handful of them burst into clouds of meat chunks and blood the glare from the sun is now in your face and your sweep isn't as effective as you'd like.

Your jaw tightens as you pass overhead and get some distance before turning back once more.

"FUCK FUCK FUCK," your wingman begins shouting moments before you see him and, more importantly, the blast that levels the wrong set of buildings. It wasn't the Scrap Yard at least...

"What the hell was that!?" you demand an answer from your wingmate, who does not respond.

You make your next pass at the forces pushing into the TRSF rear, the old, broken streets shredding and turning into shrapnel as your three 20mms bombard it and a significant number of Reformed. You level out before hitting rooftops, admiring your precise maneuvering before you hear Havoc again.

As Havoc speaks you hear a beeping tone from his end, "Something's locked onto me!" he calls out, "You fucking with me, Valk?!"

As his transmission cuts out you see a flash and puff of smoke from a rooftop in the distance.

"MISSILE INCOMING!" you shout, "EVADE! EVADE!"

You watch in terrified awe as the invincible Angels come under attack. The missile flies at Havoc from his 7 o'clock and gains fast. He pulls up sharply and then twists to the left and dives, but the missile easily course-corrects and follows suit.  Havoc pulls his nose up before slamming into a building but the missile is right on his tail and...

There's an intense flash as the missile explodes behind Havoc's aircraft. In a fraction of a second you see his aircraft tilt downward, the engines dead, and fumes and vapor thickly pouring out in it's wake before a rapid series of explosions disintegrates the plane.

"Matt! MATT! FUCKING- MATT GOD DAMN IT!" you shout in your cockpit to nobody but yourself.

"Valkyrie, this is Goose Mother, we lost contact with Havoc. Everything okay over there?"

You try to mask your emotions as you respond, "Negative, Goose Mother. Angel 2 is down. I repeat, we have lost Angel 2."

Beep...beep...beep...

Someone's locked on to you now.

Do you flee combat, risking the loss of the entire ground force at the Scrap Yard? Or will you risk getting shot down in order to secure the supplies - and perhaps avenge Havoc? Or do you have a better idea?

Spoiler: Character Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aircraft Stats (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2019, 05:50:46 am »

Lets try and lose the missile behind some buildings then blow up whatever it came out of.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2019, 06:08:18 am »

Lets try and lose the missile behind some buildings then blow up whatever it came out of.
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4