Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which method of arias usage do you guys prefer

One arias being bent to do many things
- 3 (60%)
The ability to design all sorts of new arias, but they're more specialized.
- 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interdimensional mecha arms race Faction A (temp name the mulians)  (Read 1461 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Core thread
This faction lives on a massive archipelago.
Mu starting equipment
Mulian unique mechanic: Berserk. Due to the nature of their mechs, there exists a chance for the mech to go berserk, forgoing tactics for raw brutal fury. Berserk mechs do high damage to friend and foe alike, they also use their Arias to greater effect/ their arias is much stronger.
Basic frame: a core of animated clay wrapped in electronic systems, designed to limit the power of a mechs Arias, limiting how frequently it may be used, as well as its strength. Also helps prevent berserk scenario. 4 funding 2 industrial capacity
Basic legs: nothing special, middle of the line speed, standard weight bearing capacity 2 funding 1 industrial capacity
Arias- Powerful effect tied to the core of the mech. Pilot may affect this. All of these are also generated via the mech singing, is put on mechs for free.
Choice of:
Arias of wind: Harmonic barrier (force field, effective against bullets and stuff like that), and maybe also flight,

Aria bow: An advanced bow made from cutting edge materials, cheap, with obvious downsides. It can however harness the power of a mech's Arias for certain effects. Free on all mechs that choose to use it.

Forward Knife: A small blade that uses rapid vibrations and incredible heat to create an incredibly cheap and effective weapon of war. Decent in close quarters, deadly against small targets. Free on all mechs.

Soul link: requires two users, one outside and one inside the mech. Decent power is provided, but limited range. Power increases the closer the two users are (both literally and in their relationship). If the user outside the mech is killed, berserk definite, power spike also possible based on relationship. 3 funding 1 industrial capacity

Support units
Marine brigades: Highly trained shock troops, armed with assault rifles and under barrel grenade launchers, not the best against armored targets but capable of ripping through enemy infantry and light vehicles. Relatively low mobility without any help. 1 manpower 2 funds
Light tank brigade:Decent against most targets, cheap, but lacks mobility in some cases. Low armor, not capable of killing air targets. Units per brigade 2 4 funds 1 industrial capacity
MLRS truck: midrange rockets capable of targeting both land and air vehicles. Has some issues with reloading. Price for 3 3 funds 1 industrial
V/STOL jet fighters: basically harriers, a bit more advanced but same concept. Decent against most targets. Horribly low flight times. Price for a squadron of 6 7 funds, 2 industrial capacity
Vtol transports: A civilian design, for rapid medical evacuation from certain areas. Unarmed, and without much armor. Can carry a single squad. 5 funds and 1 industrial capacity
Hover attack vehicle: Armed with 2 missile launchers capable of hitting almost anything, fast, but somewhat costly. Price for a squadron of 4 7 funds, 2 industrial capacity

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:12:30 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: interdimensional mecha arms race Faction A (temp name the mulians)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 07:27:20 am »

Alrighty, let's give this a go!

Arias:
I feel like the Arias of Wind is the thing least likely to have an equivalent in the battletech guys. But, battletech is also quite likely to have missiles, so Arias of Energy would be useful. We can easier develop one than the other though - "PD" can just be a machine gun. Arias of Destruction is basically just "Bigass gun". But it could definitely have use, as I'll say in the next section. I'll vote for Arias of Winds, but might switch to Destruction if it looks like the bow is winning the ranged weapon.

Ranged Weapon:
Bow is dirt cheap, and could possibly use our unique shit. But it's also probably not as useful as other ranged weapons. If we went with bows, I would definitely pick Arias of Destruction, because I expect that would help make up the difference. The pulse rifle is a bit more costly but also more generally useful. Heavy cannon is overly expensive and we are not likely to meet stationary targets often, so I'm disregarding that. My vote will go for the rifle, but I'll change that if it looks like Arias of Destruction is winning.

Melee Weapon:
This is hard because the beam spear doesn't have a price listed but is also not said to be free. As such I will go for Forward Knife until that is cleared up.

Power Source:
Honestly none of these are super tempting, but I'll tentatively vote soul link because while neuroreactor is cheaper it'll need replacing more often.

I'm assuming since it's not "Choice of" support units, we get all of them?

Quote from: Starting Tech Vote
Arias:
Arias of Wind (1): Twinwolf
Arias of Energy (0):
Arias of Destruction (0):

Ranged Weapon:
Pulse Rifle (1): Twinwolf
Heavy Cannon (0):
Aria Bow (0):

Melee Weapon:
Vibroblade Claws (0):
Forward Knife (1): Twinwolf
Beam Spear (0):

Power Source:
Kinetic Harvesting Array (0):
Neuroreactor (0):
Soul Link (1): Twinwolf.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 09:19:46 am »

Ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 05:08:34 pm »

I appreciate Twinwolf's format and will thus respond in kind.

Arias:
If I remember correctly, Battletech doesn't actually have forcefields as a thing - hence we should be safe picking the Aria of Wind. Furthermore, as a defensive capability engrained in our units akin to the AT fields in Evangelion, it should let us cope with the relatively low armament we'd have on our hands given the costs and our starting resources. We also know the Arias have more capabilities than those listed, and that we can work around them in a flexible way once chosen.

Ranged Weapon:
It's been noted that the AoW would boost the bow by allowing us to chain up multiple shots, and potentially extend our range with it. I don't see how the AoD would make the bow more effective, given it projects an omni-directional blast from the unit itself, not the ordinance fired. I agree that the rifle would be the best option as of right now, if a bit costly.

Given the Coaxial Plasma Railgun costs the same as the regular Railgun due to being Complex, the two are both viable. However, the CPR would have a higher rate of fire and seems more versatile for regular combat.

Melee Weapon:
Given we have 10 IC, 20 funding and 6 manpower, we can't afford 2 mechs whatever way you spin this. The chassis and mobility system alone make it unfeasible. Hence, going for the Beam Lance/Spear seems like the best option. While it may cost us some resources, it seems to be a step above the knife. I'm voting for both, though, as both seem like valuable assets to have.

Power Source:
Voting for Soul Link for the lore options, the more reliable power supply and the reasonably low berserk chance.

Arias:
Arias of Wind (2): Twinwolf, Thanik
Arias of Energy (0):

Ranged Weapon:
Pulse Rifle (2): Twinwolf, Thanik
Heavy Cannon (0):
Aria Bow (0):

Melee Weapon:
Vibroblade Claws (0):
Forward Knife (2): Twinwolf, Thanik
Beam Spear (1): Thanik

Power Source:
Neuroreactor (0):
Soul Link (2): Twinwolf, Thanik
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 07:40:34 pm »

Some discussion in Discord led to the revelation that if we get the bow we can reverse engineer the tech that makes it work with our Arias. That, combined with the fact that if we grab the bow we can probably deploy two mechs, was good enough for both me and Thanik.

Arias:
Arias of Energy (0):

Ranged Weapon:
Pulse Rifle (1): Thanik
Heavy Cannon (0):
Aria Bow (2): Twinwolf, Thanik

Melee Weapon:
Vibroblade Claws (0):
Forward Knife (2): Twinwolf, Thanik

Power Source:
Neuroreactor (0):
Soul Link (2): Twinwolf, Thanik
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 02:26:50 am »

2 mechs is really good early on, and the Soul link is effective.

Arias:
Arias of Energy (0):

Ranged Weapon:
Heavy Cannon (0):
Aria Bow (3): Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater

Melee Weapon:
Vibroblade Claws (0):
Forward Knife (3): Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater

Power Source:
Neuroreactor (0):
Soul Link (3): Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 02:31:36 am »

Arias:
Arias of Energy (0):
Arias of Destruction (1): The Ensorceler

Ranged Weapon:
Heavy Cannon (0):
Aria Bow (4): Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater, The Ensorceler

Melee Weapon:
Vibroblade Claws (0):
Forward Knife (4): Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater, The Ensorcelet
Beam Spear (2): Thanik, The Ensorceler

Power Source:
Neuroreactor (0):
Soul Link (4): Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater, The Ensorceler
[/quote]

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 05:57:57 am »

Arias:
Arias of Wind (3): Twinwolf, Thanik, Failbird
Arias of Energy (0):

Ranged Weapon:
Heavy Cannon (0):
Aria Bow (5): Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater, The Ensorceler, Failbird

Melee Weapon:
Vibroblade Claws (0):
Forward Knife (5): Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater, The Ensorcelet, Failbird

Power Source:
Neuroreactor (0):
Soul Link (5): Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater, The Ensorceler, Failbird
Maximize Anime

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 09:08:14 am »

Maximize Anime

Personally, it's not the Anime factor of NGE that draws me in, but the masterfully executed blend of science and religion and the flawed, realistic characters. The Rebuilds pale in comparison for absolutely forgoing what made the original excellent in my opinion.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 12:29:23 pm »

Arias:
Arias of Wind (4) : Twinwolf, Thanik, Failbird, TL
Arias of Energy (0):

Ranged Weapon:
Heavy Cannon (0):
Aria Bow (5): Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater, The Ensorceler, Failbird, TL

Melee Weapon:
Vibroblade Claws (0):
Forward Knife (6) : Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater, The Ensorcelet, Failbird, TL

Power Source:
Neuroreactor (0):
Soul Link (6): Twinwolf, Thanik, Rockeater, The Ensorceler, Failbird
Maximize Anime

Just there with what everyone’s theme is.

Fuck realism. I want the savage cuberform critter stuff.

I think in future get Halo Anti Missile Thing for more stuff ( and channel it into a weapon.)

Got my own weapon/gear stuff. Including a method to have flying units.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:36:04 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 02:15:33 pm »

Arias of Wind, Aria Bow, Forward Knife, Soul Link.

Your aircraft carrier returns, carrying a... unique payload. Angelica 03 Sachiel. Armed with Bow and Knife, this weapon of war is ready to fight.

Design phase 1, start!
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 02:52:05 pm »

So make designs? I will pitch in something latter. Though more likely to pick something out via voting that’s not mine.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 03:55:36 pm »

Flare Legs

An Upgrade to the Basic Legs, these Legs allow the use of the Base Aria of the unit in improving their Top Speed, Max Acceleration, and Force. Also grants the use of the associated abilities of the Aria while that Aria is active. In the Case of the Aria of Wind, this means flight and a very quick movement.

Primarily meant to serve as an Aria's Conduit for it's secondary effects, if any, rather than primary effects.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 08:08:51 pm »

So there's a lot of ground to cover. We've been given creative freedom over the interpretation of the 'animated clay', the background of our faction and its characteristics, our pilots' names, backgrounds and relationships as well as our own take on the nature of the Aria's within the confines of what's been stated thus far in the discord.

One idea of what the clay is - a mass of a plastic (in the mechanical sense) soft electronic substance, hence the term clay, which acts as a processing core, accomplishes the unit's motor functions, and provides structural stability. The nature of Arias might be an emergent behaviour from large, potentially conscious bundles of clay, with the external robotics and infrastructure constraining and slaving the clay to an internal network and the operator in particular. The necessary size (~50 meters for the current unit) might be due to a critical mass of clay necessary for said emergent behaviour to manifest. There's also a discussion to be had over the faction's name. Seeing as we're a R&D branch of a corporation that formed the clay, we have options.

As far as the practical side of things goes.

The Arias themselves seem to function via sound or thereabouts, but they generate a standing wave at a distance and can thus be utilized for a variety of interesting things in the long run. We also know, from our starting options, that they can create and direct beams of light.

We got a free unit - the Angelica 03 Sachiel (Unit 0-A03 Sachiel?) armed with the knife and aria bow. I assume there's no room for a second pilot in there, or in the frame itself. Whatever we want, we'll probably have to build ourselves to solidify. The fact we've given up the relatively decent ranged and melee armament due to cost concerns and in favor of Aria bonuses mean we should prioritize at least buffing and diversifying this at least once during what is essentially this AR's pre-main game super turn.

Personally, one thing I'd want to do prior to the start of the game proper is boost our pilots' capabilities (visibility, emergency survival, compatibility with at least the test unit) with a dedicated plug suit and plug system; revising a hardened frame at an equal cost more or less to protect vital areas, such as the aforementioned plug and motor centers and keep the thing fighting even if its shield goes down temporarily - as well as giving it EW and ECW suites + more sensors; boosting the Aria of Wind's capabilities and rename it something more respectable... A lot to do, actually. We can spend the revisions to get ourselves better parts for the mechs and/or improve our industrial base / support units.

What we need to do is play this smart. We need to lay the groundwork for future expansion if nothing else, and we'd do that now. Revising the unit's frame and mobility suite - primarily boosting their general performance, with us introducing conduits for the unit's Aria to further improve that within the design itself. Leaving that for a revision, even the above-mentioned pilot improvement plan would be valuable in that it'd let us make use of any physical improvements we make to the units.

I propose the following:

Aria 1, Production Model 'Adriel' Framework
The Adriel framework encompasses a set of planned designs and revisions based around the philosophy that guided the Sachiel's development. Within this broader plan, individual components that seek to enhance the base capabilities of the Aria make up the building blocks, while aria conduit infrastructure (ACI compatibility) acts as the glue further strengthening a unit's effectiveness.

The base components are thus the A1-PMa series frame, leg improvements, an EW and ECW suite, and various pilot enhancements

A1 Series Frame
Where-as the Sachiel's basic frame was designed without a clear purpose in mind, as it represented one of the first functional Aria prototypes, the goal of the A1 Frame is to more effectively distribute the various components that allow the unit to tick. The command pod is standardized in the form of a long tubular chamber reminiscent of a long capsule, which is kept in the form of an entry outside the unit, docked with the walls while in standby, and injected into the posterior of the unit's spine at a large angle prior to combat missions. This standardized command pod (the SCAMP for short) hosts the unit's control interface, room for a copilot, a defensive armament in case of ejection in the form of a standard issue service rifle, as well as the emergency eject system in the form of escape thrusters serving to propel the pod away from the unit in case of a berserk scenario, or otherwise in case of critical structural damage that would render it inoperable. The SCAMP is hardened against kinetic and chemical penetrators, as well as EMP strikes and electronic warfare attempts so as to ensure the pilot is kept alive even in the face of direct fire from large caliber ordinance, and the link to the Aria untouched by outside interference even in the absence of the defense field. Furthermore, armoring of the frame is allocated to the torso and sensory suite in the head, with the limbs formed from a leaner yet denser mixture of smart clay. Due to the shift in center of gravity and reduction in weight, the unit should be quicker, and due to the concentration of armor on critical areas, more durable. The frame is made ACI compatible to enable it to increase the effectiveness of Arias-based and enhanced machinery, though not granting many boons apart from yet more protection to the frame itself. This protection comes from the ability of the Aria to form an internal segmented defensive field when the field is at low strength, therefore increasing its effective armoring while at the same time allowing the field to regenerate at a faster pace.

A1 Series Mobility Suite
Along with the A1 Series Frame, an accompanying mobility suite is planned to make full use of the first production-ready Aria's capabilities. Motor material density is put at a premium alongside refining work on the clay and smart fiber motors themselves to maximize speed, acceleration and force transfer - working at its peak alongside the respective frame. These legs are fully ACI compatible with the A1 series frame and utilize the defensive field Arias to allow the unit a mode in which it practically sprints at a significant increase from its regular performance, and has the ability to jump over significant distances and glide on a solidified field at a controllable pace.

A1 Series E(C/CC)W Suite
To allow the frame more flexibility, modernizations of the frame's electronic warfare capabilities are available in the form of an installable package installed in the unit's cranium, taking up a portion of the clay's processing power and moving them away from motor functions to maximize offensive and defensive hacking capabilities, jamming potency, decryption and encryption, as well as analysis, of communications and sensory data, and the general manipulation of electromagnetic radiation for the sake of lowering the enemy's and increasing our own efficacy on the battlefield. The unit is noticeable due to it's increased number of external 'eyes' and the extended cranium attaching to the back and moving over the extreme inner edge of the shoulder joints, with an entry plug located at the base where it thins into the back.

'Adriel' Series Pilot Suit & Training Programme
With the above-mentioned upgrades awaiting the Aria, the pilots' suits seemed undesirable - as they were simple flight suits equipped with sensory layers and interface helmets afforded to members of the airforce. The 'Adriel' series thus sought to attend to the unique position of Aria pilots and transform both the image and the effectiveness of our pilots. The suit is made more rugged, incorporating the sensory layer into the main fabric of the suit and interweaving it with a strong ballistic fiber. Additional composite armor plates are installed in the shoulder, torso, knees, elbows, and back. Over this, the pilot dons the front of a four-point safety harness and a metal cage that interfaces with a secured metal block within the SCAMP itself, outside the unit and before injection - wherein magnetic clamps grab onto the pilot and, while permitting movement, secure them within the command seat. The helmet is made resistant to direct fire and is fitted with an augmented reality visor giving the pilot a 360° unobstructed view of the outside of the Aria at night or day, direct diagnostics tools and improving immensely their general situational awareness through the usage of a man-machine interface. Essential information about the Aria, aiming and maneuvering assistance, and output from the processing core is all displayed clearly on an active matrix liquid crystal display. In the case of SCAMP ejection, the pilot possesses an easy to reach lever that unsecures him from the seat. After this, his suit and provided armament serve to allow him enough time for extraction or exfiltration to maximize pilot survivability in adverse conditions. Programmable clay processors are to be incorporated in the crown of the helmet to analyze battlefield data and provide constant communication with mission control. Pilot training and recruitment regimes are, likewise, adapted to suit the personal soul link that is the core behind the Aria's power supply. Preparations for live training and missions are done in pairs, with an emphasis on romantic attachment and long-term compatibility.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:16:09 am by Thanik »
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 10:54:11 pm »

My four ideas.

Photonic Heart: A upgrade that installs a living beating heart structure with micro fusion and sends out playlets that change the unit chrome, besides generating power it also absorbs light energy from Sun Light and also abundant heat energy as a super charge for the Artifical muscular nature of our machines.

The Explosion Gun: A Mecha sized Uzi sub machine gun ( so could dual wield) it fires out massive uranium shells that have explosions that go boom
In moment of impact. Designed to strip armor and destroy machine vitals.

Anti Gravity Core: By channeling the engines with experimental anti mass deflectors it allows the force field to repel Gravity/mass effect of ground pulling down Mecha, allowing for bigger speed and pseudo flight.

Vector Blades: Channel and focus the Arias energy’s To conduct telekinetic like actions to attack the enemy with ones aura. Not like big blast either but more like a surgical strike, though can provide over Kill.

Edit: Another

Barrier Artow: Fling Out a artow with a barrier tip to plow through armor using force field and tougher to shoot down should battletech machine attempts it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 03:56:36 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »
Pages: [1] 2