Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2  (Read 16853 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2019, 08:25:19 am »

Paradox has been having some short videos to introduce aspects of the Vampire: The Masquerade setting. They don't give any detail on gameplay elements but they're fun enough for a watch.
Their website also gives a list of associated disciplines and other details. I'll list them beneath the relevent clan.

Clan Introduction: Thinbloods.

Clan Introduction: Brujah.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2019, 01:32:07 pm »

the brujah image and ability selection is on point, but the thinbloods sound much more like generic caitiff then thinbloods even though the two are sometimes used interchangeably. i thought the point of thinbloods were that the vampiric blood in them is so weak they're basically enhanced humans and caitiff are human looking (as in not nosferatu) vampires who don't know their clan and can't manifest unique clan abilities. i figured thinbloods abilities would be simple and weak but thinbloods would have the ability to endure sunlight and eat food.

still hyping tho
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2019, 03:32:23 pm »

Game needs and all that. While it would be cool, imagine the effort it would take to make a full day/night division in the game, where player of clan X can only experience the nightside while player of clan  Y can experience both. I at least understand that limitation.

But yeah, they're building up thinbloods like they're their own clan, with their own evolving power set. Like thinbloods get many of the generic vampire abilities, where the actual clans get the more specific and specialized ones. That's definitely not how WoD rolls with Thinbloods. Most thinbloods can't even manifest disciplines.

It's all very confused from a WoD player perspective, and maybe more than a little gamey. Maybe they want this arc that doesn't really exist in the table top, where you go from Thinblood peasant to a prince or something of a clan.

Anyways, those oddities aside, my hype remains.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 03:37:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2019, 04:53:14 pm »

From what I heard, you always start as a Thinblood and then can get adopted into a clan later, hence the whole focus on Thinbloods.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2019, 06:36:53 pm »

I suppose making a thing of Diablerie as part of the story, or your clan just giving you some of their blood, could be a way to smooth over that detail.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2019, 11:50:55 pm »

I believe a change to Thinbloods in the later editions was that they're not so much weak, barely vampires anymore that they were in VtMB1. Rather they now have their own form of blood magic, disciplines and strengths. I guess this was done to make them more appealing to play as since before they weren't really good for anything other than playing as a human with perhaps slightly higher strength and faster healing.

I suppose you could think of Thinbloods more now as being like Dhampirs or half-vampires like Bloodrayne.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2019, 08:39:33 am »

I believe a change to Thinbloods in the later editions was that they're not so much weak, barely vampires anymore that they were in VtMB1. Rather they now have their own form of blood magic, disciplines and strengths. I guess this was done to make them more appealing to play as since before they weren't really good for anything other than playing as a human with perhaps slightly higher strength and faster healing.

I suppose you could think of Thinbloods more now as being like Dhampirs or half-vampires like Bloodrayne.

As I understand it, that's pretty much it. Thinbloods are lesser vampires but they are still vampires all the same, they're just less powerful and (possibly) more human than the true vampiric bloodlines.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2019, 09:40:30 am »

From all that I've read (and I've read pretty much all that's out there, as VBtM is my favourite game of all time), they're not making Thinbloods a 'clan' or anything, it's just a default starting position for everyone. Yeah, they've made them slightly stronger than cannon and given them unique abilities (which all vampires get, you just don't get clan ones till you choose) but they've not made them into something separate or a unique clan or anything.

The big issue from a gameplay perspective is that the clans are very different and they're not something that players will innately understand. Everyone knows what a Wizard is when they play an RPG, but fewer would know what a Toreador is. Even if you spelt it all out, most players wouldn't get what it meant other than abilities -  you might think that the Brujah abilities are cool at the character creation screen, but hate their whole 'biker-y' image and dialogue. Making everyone a thin blood first lets them experience the world and make an informed choice.

The reason I imagine they had to give thin bloods abilities is that otherwise some players would find it boring for the first 1-2 hours whilst they weren't using any powers - if they were just 'sort of normal humans but a bit stronger' players would just get confused by what they were doing. The thinblood powers also the 'cool' powers like flight and stuff which they probably don't want to wall off completely. More than that, quite a lot of the clans are focused around 'social' powers, and as such players will need a combat one to play around with too.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all - it breaks off from strict cannon, but it does so to make it much more accessible.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2019, 12:39:03 pm »

Well, it's not exactly a break from canon since they've apparently already changed the canon to match, with the fifth edition book. Clan aspects not transmitting past the thirteenth generation isn't that much of a conceptual leap from things that already existed. Thinblood alchemy, I would imagine, is also something you'll keep when you diablerize your way into a clan. After all, you can apparently go five dots deep into it and it sounds very parallel to existing blood powers. I haven't read the new 5e book, so I don't know the mechanics of that (I haven't paid any attention to Masquerade since the revised edition was newest) but that's sort of how World of Darkness tends to go.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2019, 02:18:38 am »

Another little video and information has been released, this time about Clan Tremere.

Clan Introduction: Tremere

Thaumaturgy doesn't seem too different from how it was in the first game, with Purge and Blood Boil. Though this time it seems like Blood Boil is caused by casting Purge twice on the same target at max 5 point level. There's no Blood Strike (a dart struck the target and returned giving a small amount of blood back), instead there's Skewer which is much the same damage wise but all the Thaumaturgy abilities seem to return some blood upon usage.
I was going to say there's no Blood Shield though, while it's not listed, considering how short the list of Disciplines is for Brujah (4 compared to the Thinblood 6 and Tremere 5) these may not be complete lists of disciplines.

Psychic Projection sounds interesting. Being able to scout out areas and mess with NPCs, distracting them so you can get the jump on them or sneak past sound neat. Though that'll be determined more by map layout and the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:22:26 am by Mech#4 »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2019, 03:40:06 am »

Considering this is all happening up in Washington, what do y'all think the likelihood of there being a Twilight easter egg somewhere would be?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2019, 04:12:30 am »

Easter egg? More like an entire sparkly-vampire murdering sidequest. :P

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2019, 06:57:03 am »

The forth clan has been announced, this being Clan Toreador.

Clan Introduction: Toreador

The Toreador share Celerity with the Brujah. It also mentions that characters will keep the disciplines from being a Thinblood after they choose a clan. I think this was already mentioned but I'll mention it again just in case.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2019, 07:48:27 am »

Heh, I appreciate that when you go back and forth between the Brujah and Toreador views on Celerity it shows some of the differences in viewpoint between the two clans.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2019, 12:40:15 pm »

looking legit, toreadors look like clubbers which is totally in character.

im waiting to see malkavians and ventrues. im always a ventrue player, i like the challenge of avoiding easy blood sources.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12