Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)  (Read 39330 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2019, 09:10:36 am »

It's worth noting for those checking the locked threads that are left there now, that there were quite a bit of pretty nasty comments in all (from what I can remember anyhow) the locked ones still shown which they seem to mostly have removed by now (talk about "killing trannies", torture, that they'll probably all kill themselves anyway ad varoious personal attacks back and forth etc). Probably doesn't help the forum image to lock threads and then clean them up, giving the impression that it wasn't all that bad for people checking it out afterwards. And I sincerely doubt that those outright removed were the bastions of civil discourse some people make them out to be (not to say some over-eager mod can't have grabbed a bit too much cleaning out the shitstorm, but understandable if so imo).
Ah, that explains it. I was wondering why locked threads had literally nothing that violated any of the rules.

Still, it seems like locking the whole thread is a little... strange as measures go. What's the point of locking a thread after you've cleaned it up, instead of either letting all see why it was locked or just deleting it all? Is the idea to leave it for everyone to see so they raise a stink about unjust moderation? Some kind of a publicity stunt on Kitfox's behalf? Or is it standard procedure for Steam?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2019, 09:40:43 am »

Ah, that explains it. I was wondering why locked threads had literally nothing that violated any of the rules.

Still, it seems like locking the whole thread is a little... strange as measures go. What's the point of locking a thread after you've cleaned it up, instead of either letting all see why it was locked or just deleting it all? Is the idea to leave it for everyone to see so they raise a stink about unjust moderation? Some kind of a publicity stunt on Kitfox's behalf? Or is it standard procedure for Steam?

Dunno, might've been different people maybe? First mod around just locks, then a second comes around later and decides to clean out the worst? Or them not knowing what to do and changing their approach as people started screaming censorship, not knowing they're somewhat making things worse.

Not like any of those 4 those threads were worth keeping open anyhow, nothing really constructive to be made out of someone proclaiming they're boycotting the game until the devs grow up, not buying a game with trans dwarves, outright bait about how woke the devs are etc or the one flipping the thing into a joke with females instead to show how silly it is (which will undoubtedly just attract more shit, as it did before it was cleaned out).

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2019, 10:06:03 am »

Steam moderators have a habit of blanket banning anyone who posts in a thread, too. Some idiots back around 2015 raided some Steam forums and every poster on the Hotline Miami 2 forum which posted within a certain date was banned from it, regardless of if they joined in on the raids.

That's probably why people are a little pissed off, the same could have happened with DF's Steam forum.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2019, 10:20:07 am »

Yeah, this is why I said it's a pity the steam forum can't be disabled as far as I know. Like, sure, we have this forum and reddit and several other places, but those grew organically and were created by the community. Steam forums get too big too quickly and tend to split the community so much. And if you don't maintain them they fill with trolls, if you do maintain them you have to spend all your time on them.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2019, 10:47:28 am »

Having already had redirections to these environs, I am relieved but surprised that deliberate griefers haven't (to my knowledge) expanded their Steam offensive to here. Or maybe our actual over-zealous dictator ("All Hail The Hypnotoady!") has been so good at the suppression of legitimate free speech that I haven't noticed all the....

*...urk*

<account deleted>

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2019, 11:19:34 am »

Having already had redirections to these environs, I am relieved but surprised that deliberate griefers haven't (to my knowledge) expanded their Steam offensive to here. Or maybe our actual over-zealous dictator ("All Hail The Hypnotoady!") has been so good at the suppression of legitimate free speech that I haven't noticed all the....

*...urk*

<account deleted>
Glory to Baystotzka!

I don't think now is quite the right moment to expect them here, though. DF is still pretty obscure by Steam standards, which means relatively few griefers, and Steam discussions are currently a more fertile ground for trolling, what with all that 'censorship' stuff going on. If they hit anywhere next, it'll probably be groups in Reddit or Facebook rather than someplace as remote as Bay 12. Trolls prefer to have audience.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2019, 11:51:53 am »

Yeah, i think we won't see so many trolls here.
On the other hand i don't think this game will end with a very good note on steam. A lot of people will be disappointed, will hate the game, it's for sure.

But who cares ? These people wouldn't like the game anyway.
I think we are all scared for Toady & Dwarf Fortress, because it is a kind of leap in the dark and we don't want it to stop, even if it is excruciatingly slow.
But, be not afeard; the isle is full of noises ( :D ), be not afeard, as long as we are here, it will continue, so maybe Steam won't work, but even in the worst scenario it will only have bad press, and that's all.
The current fanbase is large enough to survive until the end of the Big Wait. All we have to worry about is Threetoe's illness, actually.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2019, 12:35:53 pm »

Honestly it's really just human nature for any major change to bring about fear of cataclysm. Not saying it's always unfounded, but in this particular case I'm confident that DF as a game will be just fine for the reasons Inarius outlines above.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2019, 05:02:33 pm »

Yea Im sort of on the fence now on purchasing or donating and I hate to say that. I have been here as a fan since 2010, and played a lot of df. I hope they get a handle on the censorship. Just delete the trouble makers posts and temp ban them. They are locking threads with no personal attacks as well.
Why donating? Toady has no control (It turns out he *does* have a degree of control over the forum but the bans were by Kitfox staff and even Steam community moderators) over the Steam forum, it's 100% Kitfox. Kitfox gets 0% of the proceeds of donation. Toady gets about 50% (Steam takes 30%, Kitfox 20%) of the cash from purchases, so IMO it's better to donate directly, anyway.

I will probably still donate instead of buying the steam version, but they did choose this publisher instead of a different one that wouldn't be as harsh. Maybe as said above it is actually just steam moderators over stepping their bounds. In which case I'd retract my reservation to buying it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:10:23 pm by MaGicBush »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2019, 05:06:51 pm »

Yea Im sort of on the fence now on purchasing or donating and I hate to say that. I have been here as a fan since 2010, and played a lot of df. I hope they get a handle on the censorship. Just delete the trouble makers posts and temp ban them. They are locking threads with no personal attacks as well.
Why donating? Toady has no control (It turns out he *does* have a degree of control over the forum but the bans were by Kitfox staff and even Steam community moderators) over the Steam forum, it's 100% Kitfox. Kitfox gets 0% of the proceeds of donation. Toady gets about 50% (Steam takes 30%, Kitfox 20%) of the cash from purchases, so IMO it's better to donate directly, anyway.

I may still donate, but they did choose this publisher instead of a different one that wouldn't be as harsh.
Why did Tarn choose to go into business with his friend instead of a random corporate entity? You really need to ask that?

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2019, 05:11:46 pm »

I may still donate, but they did choose this publisher instead of a different one that wouldn't be as harsh.
Why did Tarn choose to go into business with his friend instead of a random corporate entity? You really need to ask that?

Oh I was not aware of that. Well he could have a sit down with his friend about this to correct the behavior anyways if it is kitfox and not the steam mods.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2019, 06:11:18 pm »

What I think happened with Steam is Kitfox did not moderate it adequately so Steam's community mods stepped in. They're invariably shit and probably overstepped the line.

I have reason to believe this is what's going on.
Team Bug Fix!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2019, 11:13:29 pm »

What I think happened with Steam is Kitfox did not moderate it adequately so Steam's community mods stepped in. They're invariably shit and probably overstepped the line.

Looks like Toady made a statement on the Steam forum claiming the same thing. Hopefully people read it and calm down.
Hi!

There has been some confusion about rules and moderation. As stated in the pinned "Rules for Steam Discussion", we want a nice, productive, healthy discussion. Please refer to the rules again if needed -- our warning has always been clear there, hence the locks and deletes. Threads that have been locked or taken down have been done by the publisher or Steam itself due to offensive comments, slurs, or discussions that have quickly devolved into attacks. Unfortunately, due to this, even calmer discussions have had to been locked. Personal attacks on anyone will not be tolerated.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:15:56 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2019, 05:54:11 pm »

Looks like Toady made a statement on the Steam forum claiming the same thing. Hopefully people read it and calm down.
Hi!

There has been some confusion about rules and moderation. As stated in the pinned "Rules for Steam Discussion", we want a nice, productive, healthy discussion. Please refer to the rules again if needed -- our warning has always been clear there, hence the locks and deletes. Threads that have been locked or taken down have been done by the publisher or Steam itself due to offensive comments, slurs, or discussions that have quickly devolved into attacks. Unfortunately, due to this, even calmer discussions have had to been locked. Personal attacks on anyone will not be tolerated.

Its so silly that some of them are like  "why add this when you coudl improve the UI" its like they don't even comprehend what dwarf fortress is. Toady doesn't care about that stuff he just wants simulationism and is doing what he always has done.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2019, 07:15:23 pm »

"I've never played, but from the three PCGamer articles I skimmed over the past decade. . .."
Team Bug Fix!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16