Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 454547 times)

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1890 on: July 16, 2020, 11:09:02 am »

Some weapons looks unrealistic. Jewels looks very strange. Not all creatures fit ingame proportions.
Yes. That's how tilesets work. They show you what something is with a graphical icon. Have you played Dwarf Fortress? It involves being able to clearly see where items are, which you wouldn't be able to do if everything was life size. Would be a bit of a blow to Steam sales if the artists inexplicably tried to make life-size models of everything.
The more issue is design of unrealistic-drawn weapons and too strange jewels. I play DF only with ASCII standard, didn't even change a font.

Which weapons are unrealistic? Do you have any ideas about how to change them? What looks unrealistic about the jewels to you? I don't think your feedback is specific enough to be useful.
Even great axe. Why do you think it is two-bladed? For make weapon image, you need do read and understand each weapon RAWs.

Jewels have too much of small details and this details is strange designed. Do you know how looks real jewelry (especially medieval)?

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 16, 2020, 11:38:51 am »

Seeing that picture reminds me of the fact that doors don't seem to have a "direction" when it comes to their sprite. Like, your always looking at the door head on. That's the #1 reason I don't use diagonals with doorways, because the door looks hideous. The door doesn't "look" like it's a diagonal door. It's just a door facing forward that your looking at head on while sitting in a diagonal mineshaft. Is there any possibility of that being changed in the Steam tileset? Like, giving sprites context or something? Like "Oh, you placed the door in a diagonal corridor, so lets use a different sprite that would fit" sort of deal? I'm probably being overly critical, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

I think the "Only narrow option" is good looking.
More importantly, I also think it actually makes doors look WAAAAY BETTER in the shown context.

I dont really like the "All convex corners option", since it crops ALL corners. I like to still be able to make square pillars (parallel with the walls), and "one tile-width" zigzag tunnels.
Most important to note tho, is that this option makes doors look EVEN WORSE in the shown context.

I have to admit, it would make sense to crop all corners, in a way, just to signify that ALL corners CAN and WILL be traversed by your dwarves, hostile creatures and so on.
Very important knowledge, and it might be a good idea to clarify that, visually.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 05:08:55 pm by MoltenIdol »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: July 16, 2020, 04:42:34 pm »

Some weapons looks unrealistic. Jewels looks very strange. Not all creatures fit ingame proportions.
Yes. That's how tilesets work. They show you what something is with a graphical icon. Have you played Dwarf Fortress? It involves being able to clearly see where items are, which you wouldn't be able to do if everything was life size. Would be a bit of a blow to Steam sales if the artists inexplicably tried to make life-size models of everything.
The more issue is design of unrealistic-drawn weapons and too strange jewels. I play DF only with ASCII standard, didn't even change a font.

Which weapons are unrealistic? Do you have any ideas about how to change them? What looks unrealistic about the jewels to you? I don't think your feedback is specific enough to be useful.
Even great axe. Why do you think it is two-bladed? For make weapon image, you need do read and understand each weapon RAWs.

Jewels have too much of small details and this details is strange designed. Do you know how looks real jewelry (especially medieval)?
Tilesets are modabble. Post examples, say what needs to be changed or make your own. Being rude is just not at all productive.

Yes the artists who have played the game for many years and made the most popular tilesets know what the raws are...

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: July 17, 2020, 06:46:06 am »

are that bed really the same one in this image? (that original one look fine to me) or its a new bed as double bed? if it is then, i suggest to add two pillow in each side rather than in the middle, thats the usual aesthetic for double bed. or put the single pillow in the side rather than in middle until another occupy the other side, this can help to know which dwarf is still single just from looking alone, for example.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also is there a link to see this image gallery? i dont know where i can see the jewel or the great axe that been mentioned, and checking each page is quite a chore since mine quite lagging a lot.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:51:31 am by Hiul »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: July 17, 2020, 11:42:48 am »

The GCS seems to be at a weird angle, tilting to its right.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:44:31 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: July 17, 2020, 01:30:09 pm »

I like the angle, it reminds me of when a jumping spider starts to rear up its head to watch its prey (me) when I get close. It adds nice character to the GCS for me.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:31:56 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: July 17, 2020, 01:54:42 pm »

it reminds me of when a jumping spider starts to rear up its head to watch its prey (me) when I get close
Tell me which part of the world do you live in so I never come in a thousand km radius os this hell with jumping spiders.
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 17, 2020, 02:46:39 pm »

Tell me which part of the world do you live in so I never come in a thousand km radius os this hell with jumping spiders.

They are distributed all throughout the green marked areas ;)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: July 17, 2020, 03:03:55 pm »

Lucky, lucky Greenland.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 17, 2020, 03:11:30 pm »

I was going to post what Manveru did, but here are shots of a spider on my sink this past winter, captured from a poor quality video. Before and after looking at me.  Nice fang.

And the video, after a bit of editing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:40:37 am by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: July 18, 2020, 02:25:22 pm »

can we just copy paste that spider into df? :D
clashes a bit with the rest of the artstyle... but god nopenopenope

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: July 18, 2020, 03:21:52 pm »

Spoiler: Hey! What about me? (click to show/hide)

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: July 18, 2020, 08:05:37 pm »

Tilesets are modabble. Post examples, say what needs to be changed or make your own. Being rude is just not at all productive.

Yes the artists who have played the game for many years and made the most popular tilesets know what the raws are...
Make tiles list, please. Of weapons - weapon tile and weapon name, so I will tell what weapons drawn wrong.

"Millions of flies cannot be wrong?" (c) I think, you need to create also tiles list of all non-mundane creatures for Toady's approving.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: July 18, 2020, 08:11:11 pm »

The GCS seems to be at a weird angle, tilting to its right.
GSC will looks interesting if will be colored some similar to scytodes. This spiders is real spiders who also spray their web.

Toad looks too spherical, but this may be your style. And also similar to drug toad.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: July 19, 2020, 04:15:50 am »

Toad looks too spherical, but this may be your style. And also similar to drug toad.

A Giant Cave Toad psychedelic syndrome retcon is just the sort of FUN surprise spice the Steam release needs for the bitter old veteran players!  Toady please! ;)  :D

It's quite reminiscent of Kruggsmash's GCT pic from Monsterkiller which I see is now on the wiki, but that can hardly be helped, I suppose, same animal, same raws, with Krugg more taupe, and Mayday more gray interpretations of "TAUPE_GRAY"; Mayday bunched up preparing to leap, Krugg in a more relaxed state looking flatter.

I imagine both are drawing heavily from our real world largest toad, the Cave Toad, which is pretty rounded.

Team Bug Fix!
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 178