Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 455811 times)

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Ţjóđalfur
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1245 on: March 28, 2020, 02:47:24 pm »

I think the posture is a little weird. It looks a bit like they are out buying the morning newspaper
- Rather than terrorizing the local village!

I did a slight modification, I don't urge you to follow my example at all, just to illustrate a bit what makes beasts scary without any scary light effects or dark colours.

The posture is asymmetrical. <- This is the most important
One shoulder is higher than the other
The head hangs on a slight hunchback
The chest, while muscular, is slouching
etc. etc.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 11:29:19 am by vettlingr »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1246 on: March 28, 2020, 02:53:20 pm »

Vordak: Even the turtle is scared of itself. XD

Stockpiles: Why not everything at once? Ropes, Stakes, Signs, Checkerboard, Color-Coding, Transparency. Lets do it all:

I did a slight modification, I don't urge you to follow my example at all, just to illustrate a bit what makes beasts scary
Without any scary light effects or dark colours

The posture is asymmetrical. <- This is the most important
One shoulder is higher than the other
The head hangs on a slight hunchback
The chest, while muscular, is slouching
etc. etc.
Oh, that's cool. :) Really helpful, since I just started the first mock-ups for the werebeasts. The body is a copy of the Minotaur body we use, because we kinda want to limit the hand/body positions for possible equipment. Guess it will still work with your hunchback. :)

without any scary light effects or dark colours.
He said, adding a glow to the eyes and darkening the sprite a lot. :P

The other topic is always work-time vs. payoff. It's 73 werebeasts, and their priority is pretty low atm.

Seems it was a good idea to post the mock-ups here.

Edit: Mh...

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 03:07:42 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 28, 2020, 03:12:33 pm »

Not sure how happy Tarn will be about printing a potential 5 layers. For example Grass + Bush + Stockpile + Bin + Item. But I think he will be open to suggestions.
Are these layers per tile? It should be rare enough not to be a big problem, I think, if that's the case. Otherwise it would be excessive but then, so would giving bins their own layer. A bin is an item that contains items, might as well just let it be closed if the cost is high.

We will do a few designs for trees, yes. Broadleaf, Conifer, Saguaro, Giant Mushrooms, Palms... not all trees for now, just the most different-looking ones.
There's a lot of tradeoff in time and all that, but it would be good to do a bit more differentiation than that. Like, stone fruit look a lot like each other so honestly the only real difference sometimes is flower color, but then they all look different from like oaks or walnuts. Of course, different kinds of oaks have some variety in how they look, and the different sections of the walnut genus can look pretty different too. But most of the part of that which can be seen in this resolution can also be covered by color.

As I understand that in stockpile settings menu you will need an additional window where you can select an icon/banner/flag. As well as the required background color.
You don't necessarily have to, it can also be procedurally chosen by the game according to what stuff the stockpile accepts. Either way, it'd be more work for Toady.

Maybe worth noting, those faintly colored segmented lines work don't work at all if one is color blind (or at least the mild red/green version which isn't all that uncommon), which yeah, minority concern and all but to me at least it's kind of straining on the eyes and doesn't help with identifying what kind of stockpile it's supposed to be at all (though I suppose it depends a lot with which colours are chosen as well).
Yeah, but it's not like it's worse than the current situation even in that case.

Let's assume you get visited by a werebeast... would these be sufficiently werebeasty? :P

It doesn't look bad but together with the defined musculature, those red banana hammocks make it look like these guys are out of some kind of animal strip club.

I mean, I'm not saying that's a deal breaker. But if these go into the game, there'll be smut drawn of the werebeasts.

I did a little mock up just for fun with serious and ridiculous examples.
I like the wood, though I find stone and metal rods with stone plaques a better fit.
Im wondering if the checked stockpile pattern isn't very ingrained in DF by now. Deviating from it is a little soul-crushing don't you think? :D
The same could be said about ASCII.

Edit: Mh...

That looks very monstrous. Which is appropriate.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 28, 2020, 03:15:39 pm »

They lack that scary Night creature factor, maybe give the sprites a spooky light source and glowing eyes.
That is neither spooky nor interesting.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1249 on: March 28, 2020, 03:16:31 pm »

So that's why you posted the werebeast list, Meph! I suspected it, but now I've gotten it confirmed.
Overall, I'd rate these weregiraffe > werebull > weretortoise ~= wererhino, mostly because of the former looking more like "scary beasts" and less like bodybuilders. The weretortoise head also looks a bit doofy to me, perhaps because of the long snout?

Does a weretortoise need a thong (loincloth?) more than a were-giraffe does? Or at all even, considering the shell and all?

@vettlingr
Werebeasts have random skin/hair/scale and eye colors in-game, purple/dark colors would mean losing out on the opportunity of showing those.

@vordak
I believe it's mostly discouraged on this thread for legal reasons, in fear of accusations of meph/mikeday copying "the art of others" if they pick up on the edited graphics.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1250 on: March 28, 2020, 03:22:52 pm »

So that's why you posted the werebeast list, Meph! I suspected it, but now I've gotten it confirmed.
Yeah, it's interesting just being able to ask Toady about all kinds of details in regards to procedurally generated content. ^^

The loincloth is a leftover from the Minotaur sprite Mike did. I think I'd rather go Bruce-Banner-Hulk-Shorts.

I wouldn't discourage anyone here from altering the sprites to make mock-ups. Vordak just said that because I altered his sprites in the past. That was payback :P
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 03:27:54 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 28, 2020, 03:43:59 pm »

Nice stuff going on with the werebeasts there for sure, though please keep the outstretched claws imo!

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 28, 2020, 03:58:29 pm »

Stockpiles: Why not everything at once? Ropes, Stakes, Signs, Checkerboard, Color-Coding, Transparency. Lets do it all:

Now that's a snazzy looking stockpile!

I think your grid of solid dashed lines reads a little better than the transparent checkerboard, although that might just be on the grass. Especially the yellow/orange/brown one just makes the grass look kind of bumpy, or like there's different sized tufts of grass.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 28, 2020, 04:09:42 pm »

Vordak: Even the turtle is scared of itself. XD

Works surprisingly well, but ropes may look weird with dwarves walking through it.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: March 28, 2020, 04:11:13 pm »

Now that's a snazzy looking stockpile!

I think your grid of solid dashed lines reads a little better than the transparent checkerboard, although that might just be on the grass. Especially the yellow/orange/brown one just makes the grass look kind of bumpy, or like there's different sized tufts of grass.

Heh, I'd say the opposite that this is much more readable, but yeah, red/green color blindness as mentioned (and mainly if anything an issue with small bits of color surrounded by green like that). And the ropes would probably suffice on its own for me at least (though I'm the kind of person who would prefer no stockpile graphics at all or as minimal as possible).

Works surprisingly well, but ropes may look weird with dwarves walking through it.

Also that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1255 on: March 28, 2020, 04:15:12 pm »

Dwarves walk through furniture all the time. ;)

The effect is much stronger on more neutral background.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1256 on: March 28, 2020, 04:30:01 pm »

The effect is much stronger on more neutral background.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Almost too snazzy, imho. If colored stockpiles end up being a thing, I would like an option to opt out of it and make them all grey.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 28, 2020, 04:34:50 pm »

Yeah, but they rarely unless placed weirdly seem like a complete obstacle the same way an area being fully roped off does (especially an area which will have frequent traffic back and forth while carrying goods or carting around wheelbarrows etc). Bit harder to uphold suspension of disbelief basically.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 28, 2020, 04:43:36 pm »

So the dwarves unhook the rope as they walk through or whatever. Same as doors.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1259 on: March 28, 2020, 04:53:18 pm »

Color coding only on the ropes?

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 178