Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 455604 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #945 on: March 06, 2020, 05:47:34 am »

Ah, ok then. In our requirements, there are separate sprites for different castes for only a few animals, and the elephant seal is not one of them.
<3

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 06, 2020, 09:37:20 am »

I was trying to draw them with somewhat of foreshortening to fit in the 32px square. There's not a single pixel left, unfortunately. The great white is definitely longer / less squashed.
You can try to enhance the perspective effect with more dramatic shading.

Of course, although I say this, it's not like I don't know that shading is one of the hardest things to do at this size.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #947 on: March 06, 2020, 10:12:30 am »

I think I'm just gonna make the sharks larger, and the great white even larger than planned.
X-posting from discord: For DF "deluxe" we're facing a problem of having roughly 1500 undead sprites to create. There's no way for us to handle all of that for the initial release, so I've devised a "placeholder" edit that shouldn't take more than a few seconds for each sprite. I'm curious about your reaction:
<3

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 06, 2020, 10:14:04 am »

Maybe green hue instead of violet? And if you do make them green, maybe yellow eyes instead of white?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #949 on: March 06, 2020, 10:23:02 am »

Necromancers are light magenta. I thought the color would keep the theme. There aren't any magenta-colored creatures.

If we do dark cyan, like the Ñ undeads atm, it looks confusing for any green or cyan creature. Lots of reptiles, snakes, even undead goblins, would be hard to keep apart from the life ones. The only tell would be the eyes, which are just a few pixels.

In the end I hope to manually create sprites for all zombies, with blood, gore, organs and bone showing. Like this:

But for now we focus on higher priority spriting. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #950 on: March 06, 2020, 10:29:07 am »

Yes, that is precisely the reason why purple was chosen, so that it can be applied to all creatures with no confusion.
<3

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 06, 2020, 12:12:51 pm »

Yeah, the undead placeholder works well enough I'd say ^^

Also, the wiki list of creatures by adult size seems like a handy estimate, everything that's too large for bridge operation to work by the listed cutoff (as well as weird cases with protruding elements like giraffes etc) is probably something worth showing as being really large and thus slightly bigger than 1 tile (and are probably the main ones likely to be made multi-tile in the future as well).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:54:36 pm by Manveru Taurënér »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #952 on: March 06, 2020, 01:26:51 pm »

The undead placeholder is a fine idea, got to have great bases to build the final undead off, after all ;).
Good argument about the purple, with that my only complaint is the smooth instead of pixelated eyes, but I suppose that is a placeholder placeholder?

Also, the wiki list of creatures by adult size seems like a handy estimate, everything that's too large for bridge operation to work by the listed cutoff (as well as weird cases with protruding elements like giraffes etc) is probably something worth showing as being really large and thus slightly bigger than 1 tile (and are probably the main ones likely to be made multi-tile in the future as well).

+1

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #953 on: March 06, 2020, 01:55:46 pm »

It's not gonna make much of a difference, because even if I place the pixels by hand, it still must use transparency to be efficient. So not true pixelart.
But here's what it will actually look like:
<3

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 06, 2020, 02:39:16 pm »

I like the big creepy eye sockets.

I think I'm just gonna make the sharks larger, and the great white even larger than planned.
X-posting from discord: For DF "deluxe" we're facing a problem of having roughly 1500 undead sprites to create. There's no way for us to handle all of that for the initial release, so I've devised a "placeholder" edit that shouldn't take more than a few seconds for each sprite. I'm curious about your reaction:

The consistent purple coloring will make them easy to recognize them as undead at-a-glance.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 06, 2020, 02:45:04 pm »

I feel like the purple look is better for wraiths than corporeal undead... But if it's just a placeholder, so be it.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #956 on: March 06, 2020, 02:59:33 pm »

Well, it IS a placeholder, but for many creatures it might hold this place for a long time. What colour would you suggest?
<3

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 06, 2020, 03:25:12 pm »

Well, it IS a placeholder, but for many creatures it might hold this place for a long time. What colour would you suggest?

I had to pause myself to say green with red eyes... That's already goblins; But the purple with weird xray effect is pretty distinct already to look nice.
  • I think for the constraint you can't really put a aura around them for something based on size and physiology, blood flecks, more sunkeness in the eyes, with some subjective limb & skin tears without much detail into the injuries might make it obvious as a edit-over rather than reconstruction of the whole sprite. Generic i know.
I really want to see a deep sea spider crab sprite now for sweet sweet x-ray eyes pop culture referece, maybe ill have to throw a patreon donation to Toady. Giant crabs will have to tide me over for now.
Spoiler: "meme inside" (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #958 on: March 06, 2020, 03:29:33 pm »

We are having an internal discussion about setting up the spritesheets. What would you guys prefer for creatures?

A. All adults in one file; all children in another file; all undeads in another file; etc.
B. All creature_domestic animals in one files; all creature_ocean in one file; all creature_subterranean in one file, etc.

There are pros and cons to both. A is easier to find everything, but if you add one creature you need to edit a lot of files. Has less files, but more sprites per file. B is how tilesets are currently set up, making it easier for sets to update, but people need to look up in the raws which files have which creature. Has more files, but less sprites per file.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 03:32:23 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 06, 2020, 03:41:09 pm »

A. Why do you want to open ten files when you draw a single cow?
B. This, as I understand it, is what most tilesets already have. Not bad, except for birds and creature_standard. My choice.
C. All creature_domestic animals in one folder, for each creature one file with all variations of castes, dead, children and hunter/war and other types.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 178