Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 455614 times)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #990 on: March 12, 2020, 03:05:14 am »

Yay, Premium Graphics DevLog!

But, what's it all mean, Mayday and Meph? Translate it all into uninformed forumite, please?

Team Bug Fix!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: March 12, 2020, 03:39:19 am »

Basically, the UI is no longer beholden to one-tile-per-letter anymore. Letters can now be smaller than tiles, opening the way for e.g. mouse-over tooltips that don't cover a huge chunk of the screen.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 03:42:02 am by Putnam »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 12, 2020, 04:44:07 pm »

it was B_UNK_V42_2?? That probably should've been, uh, y'know, changed to its actual item ID eventually, "UNK" means it was unknown but it kinda clearly wasn't lol

thurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: March 12, 2020, 05:24:32 pm »

it's obviously one of those combo bunk bed, desk and bookshelf units that kids like.

sybir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: March 13, 2020, 02:53:43 pm »

New ramps look great! Btw. sometimes I'm getting strange ramp to nowhere, how would that render?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #996 on: March 13, 2020, 04:33:03 pm »

The plan is to render ramps that don't connect to any walls as a small mound.
<3

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 13, 2020, 11:18:23 pm »

Are you going to have a sprite for teeth?  I haven't seen any teeth sprites in any tile sets yet.  As long as tooth-splosions are still happening in combat, it would be helpful to distinguish between teeth and bones on the ground for the purpose of crafting / dumping.  I just leave teeth lying around for the most part unless the haulers manage to run out of more important hauling tasks (quite rare).  But bones make great training ammo. 

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: March 14, 2020, 01:38:00 am »

Will there also be multiple items rendered on the ground? Like in the example with teeth, it would look weird if teeth laying on the ground hid other (bigger) objects underneath them.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #999 on: March 14, 2020, 07:29:24 am »

@Wokko I don't think Meph and Mayday even know what will be supported, aside of nebulous stuff such as "more or less what TWBT can" and they probably won't know until they get WIP builds from Toady.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1000 on: March 14, 2020, 07:39:59 am »

Teeth sprite - no problem.
Multiple items per tile - probably a problem, we haven't discussed it in detail yet.
<3

JEB Davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 14, 2020, 08:10:46 am »

Current tilesets have walls with square corners, some with rounded corners.

Will the player get the option of choosing square or round corners when designating the work (both constructed and mined/smoothed) in the same tileset?

I think this would be wonderful for aesthetic reasons!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 14, 2020, 10:22:46 am »

Multiple items per tile - probably a problem, we haven't discussed it in detail yet.
If the "multiple" still caps out at a finite (and, due to diminishing returns, relatively low) number, multiple items shouldn't be too hard to implement. From a code perspective it would need an exception case, but a pretty simple one*. Graphically, it could get jumbled and hard to read but this is hardly the end of the world since that's an expected trait of cluttered messes anyway. And it can be mitigated slightly by giving each stacked sprite a few pushrods of offset in a random direction, although that's another bit of code required, but again a pretty simple one if the current graphic system isn't written in a way to make it not so.

*given that layered graphics with transparency will be implemented regardless and it can just be a couple extra layers

sybir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 14, 2020, 12:53:43 pm »

If the "multiple" still caps out at a finite (and, due to diminishing returns, relatively low) number, multiple items shouldn't be too hard to implement. From a code perspective it would need an exception case, but a pretty simple one*. Graphically, it could get jumbled and hard to read but this is hardly the end of the world since that's an expected trait of cluttered messes anyway. And it can be mitigated slightly by giving each stacked sprite a few pushrods of offset in a random direction, although that's another bit of code required, but again a pretty simple one if the current graphic system isn't written in a way to make it not so.

*given that layered graphics with transparency will be implemented regardless and it can just be a couple extra layers

That's what I was thinking about as well. The limitation here is size of the sprint - since tile sprite is 32x32, I think it would be reasonable to allow up to 4 overlaying sprites of 16x16 size in each corner.

For example, the tile could have an icon of cherry, small bone depicting goblin's parts, leaf/leaves and whatever else for the remaining one.
I wonder how would it look like though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:05:52 pm by sybir »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 14, 2020, 02:55:20 pm »

That's what I was thinking about as well. The limitation here is size of the sprint - since tile sprite is 32x32, I think it would be reasonable to allow up to 4 overlaying sprites of 16x16 size in each corner.

For example, the tile could have an icon of cherry, small bone depicting goblin's parts, leaf/leaves and whatever else for the remaining one.
I wonder how would it look like though.
Requiring all items to be only 16x16 just for this seems like a poor tradeoff, and it would look very artificial anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 178