Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 455429 times)

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #630 on: June 01, 2019, 07:02:57 pm »

Mike Mayday has also improved them greatly since that picture was posted.

that make no sense on you picture at the point where the dwarf stands is only 1 block !
and this block is one level high
the ramps are also 1 block long  i dont know but this is to extreme it makes no sense visually  because when you dig an 1 block wide corridor you hafe 2 ramps from both sides that stuck together

pls make an 1block corridor with the graphic option you tested and you can see it for yourself
Dude you're overdoing your critique. If steam tileset looks that bad for you then make a new and better tileset when steam version is live. Actually you can start making it right now, so your tileset will be up for the steam release.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 01, 2019, 09:14:23 pm »

Eh, can't please everybody. But what's all this about even better ramps? I didn't think that was possible anymore! :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 01, 2019, 11:45:47 pm »

Strawberries are larger than life, I needed the pixels to give them their recognizeable shape. Same problem as described above.
I feel like strawberry plants look pretty distinctive regardless. It's just that your strawberry plants don't really have that distinctive look since you've made them so small and separate from each other. In fairness I've just image searched "strawberry plant" and the results were all pretty and manicured houseplants, and similarly regulated farm rows. Bougie shit, in other words.

Also: hahaha, I love this (please dont murder me). It's always fun seeing feedback on mods and sprites: two people commented on the strawberries: #1 says they are too large and should be smaller. #2 says they are too small and should be made bigger.
He's right that if you could show the seeds, they would look less like tomatoes, but that applies in particular to the fruit on their own. I was speaking about the strawberries on the plant; in real life a strawberry plant is many times bigger than its berries. The size of the strawberries on their own isn't really relevant to this.

the strawberry have to much green on their top the real ones has green that only makes 5-10% of the whole mass of the berry
Mass doesn't relate to appearance in that way. It doesn't matter to the appearance how much the leaves weigh. The real issue with them is just that they stick up, not that they are large. Setting aside the big flavorless supermarket cultivars, the sepals are generally similar in width to the berry, or in wild ones even extend further, wild strawberries (or cold weather strawberries) are not very large at all.

Shouldn't dimple cups (♥) be cup mushrooms?
In addition to making more sense, in context of both the name and the ASCII representation, it would be good to represent more than one fungal morphology.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 02, 2019, 12:39:13 am »

I'm pretty sure sliver barbs are black...
Only the dye is. Plant is dark gray, seeds are red.

Code: [Select]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:sliver dye]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:BLACK]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:1]

Code: [Select]
[PICKED_COLOR:0:0:1]
PICKED_COLOR is the same as the DISPLAY_COLOR for the dye and STRUCTURAL doesn't have a STATE_COLOR applied at all. Since default STATE_COLOR is BROWN for STRUCTURAL, I think it's safe to assume the STRUCTURAL color is the same as the MILL color, unless of course there's crayon art or statements or similar that prove me wrong.

Seradest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 02, 2019, 05:15:34 am »

What the... ?

Of course the ramps are exactly 1 tile in size. And if there is a corridor with ramps up in two directions, it will show them correctly. They are context sensitive.

ok i think my bad english skills are not enouth to understand what you mean and not enough to explain myself......... i just wait some month and look whats happen

skenera

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 03, 2019, 06:50:43 pm »

Directional soft shadows and light bouncing of the ramps might help with how they are perceived, but it might be too subtle. I'm not sure about the mist or the background but it looks nice.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #636 on: June 04, 2019, 11:00:51 am »

Have you seen those?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

skenera

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 04, 2019, 06:25:53 pm »

Yes I have, the first one is an interesting idea, but since the way the texture is distorted depends on the direction of the ramps at the beginning and at the end of a line of identical ramps, performance might suffer, and if the line of ramps continues off screen, this information might not be available. Also, this lighting is probably the best way to show elevation, but it's not pretty.

In the second one, the smooth transitions helps make it look like it's the same surface but it also looks a bit out of place with how blurry it is.

While the third one is not too distracting, it's not very obvious whether the ramp goes up or down.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 04, 2019, 09:21:34 pm »

Steam with mayday's lighting would be my favourite. Maybe without the bright hilight between the two dark areas though.

CL3AR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 04, 2019, 09:41:18 pm »

I do like how clean the Steam version looks.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #640 on: June 04, 2019, 10:34:47 pm »

Honestly, looking at just these pictures, I can't understand what's going on at all. Upramps? Downramps? Which part is higher than which?
I suppose it's upramps, and the road is lower than the black unmined area, right? In that case, it's very difficult for me to "see" it on the middle picture, and almost impossible on the right one. Like those optical illusions where you can't see something on a picture at all until you somehow manage to see it for the first time and then it's easier.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 04, 2019, 11:36:00 pm »

Honestly, a slight vertical shift between Z levels would help so much.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 05, 2019, 02:58:55 am »

Honestly, looking at just these pictures, I can't understand what's going on at all. Upramps? Downramps? Which part is higher than which?
I suppose it's upramps, and the road is lower than the black unmined area, right? In that case, it's very difficult for me to "see" it on the middle picture, and almost impossible on the right one. Like those optical illusions where you can't see something on a picture at all until you somehow manage to see it for the first time and then it's easier.

Amen.
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 05, 2019, 07:18:50 am »

Have you seen those?
I like the first version

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #644 on: June 05, 2019, 10:14:48 am »

I thought the plans were pretty set on some version of Mayday's model, already? The only reason the discussion was suspended was because there were troubles with the more complicated (to visualize) ramps, such as fully unconnected ones and corners ones with no other bordering ramps.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 178