Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 454301 times)

Oab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #2220 on: October 01, 2020, 01:49:49 pm »

@Rekov:

A solution to that could be to have unique tiles for each ramp type based on their respective multi-level position. This would mean manually darkening and desaturating the lower layers as the view ascends until it eventually fades into pure shadow. Working alongside the shadow overlay I believe this would work well. I think this would further improve the overall visual aesthetically and functionally.

This could be done by copy pasting the existing ramps and manually changing the palettes or even just using filters. Either way it's a quick process. Coding in all the additional tiles would be required for this though which in theory shouldn’t take much time either.

I am still really interested to see a screenshot of a cavern with a lot of various ramps.

@Meph:

The most recent shot of the grass tiles are looking quite good. I have a couple suggestions to possibly further improve them after taking a closer look.

The first would be to add more color ramps for the grass types. Having it all the same couple shades of green makes it look less like wild terrain. I see two distinct palettes in that recent shot which play really well off each other.

I would have the most common grass be the primary color palette and ramp off of it for each additional species using more deliberate use of hue shifting.

Make the variants for each grass species by tweaking the amount of light/dark for each individual ramp as you are, and you will end up with massive variety while retaining seamless blending. More flowers/colors would be nice as well.

Like others I noticed the contrast issues going on between some sprites and the background.

I would use the grass color palettes for the plant sprites that spawn in the same biome, but with slightly increased saturation to help it be more readable. For the rocks I would use one of the less saturated grass palettes as a basis for the boulders colors. For example: the rock could share the darker green palette of the grass gradually going more towards a more saturated lighter gray.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2221 on: October 02, 2020, 01:25:34 am »

The ramps are Mikes area of expertise. He's busy working on the civ sheets atm, but I'm sure he'll chime in at some point. :)

I've been toying with the idea of a more elaborate furniture layout to portray not only material, but also quality, spatter, wear... and add some toggleable variants... and add the actual decorations. I'm curious what you guys think. Initially we also wanted to add orientation, aka rotating the furntiure piece N, E, S, W, just like the siege engines can be rotated, but that multiplies the sprite count by 16, so we are holding off on that for now. Tarn might code-support it for modders though.

The current setup we want to test looks like this:

That's a bed.
 - Four materials, wood, stone, metal and glass. Shown using texture on the bed-frame.
 - Seven quality levels, from regular to artefact. Shown on the creases and embroidery on the cloth.
 - Four varieties (optional ornamental changes to avoid copy+paste effect) that you can cycle through. Shown by different pillows.
 - Five decorations, which are colored depending on their material and copied on top.
 - Four wear-states, which are copied on top.
 - Four spatter effects, which are colored depending on their material and copied on top.

Examples would look like this:

Individually those can be read easily, it gets more harder if everything happens at once: A very decorated bed with two spatters and heavy wear for example. Luckily spatter is rare on furniture, as is wear; while decorations are controlled by the player, you can pick yourself how much you want to put on a given piece.

Here the table:

And an example with ten random tables (empty), ten with spatter and wear, ten with decorations, and finally ten with everything at once.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: October 02, 2020, 01:54:17 am »

Those all look absolutely beautiful, tbh.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2223 on: October 02, 2020, 02:30:16 am »

Wonderful, amazing, I’m stoked, very genuinelly :).
The brown wear looks odd on the non-brown tables though, it looks as if they’ve sprouted roots, or have brown insides.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2224 on: October 02, 2020, 02:56:26 am »

Thank you. :)

The wear could easily get the fitting color for the material.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McBlind

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: October 02, 2020, 03:45:19 am »

Looks great, really brings across the how-in-Armok's-name-are-they-eating-off-those-spikes feel the decorations have always had.
Only criticism would be that I prefer lower viewing angles for tables which allow me to see more of the table's legs to make it read as "table" immediately, but that could just be me being too used to my current tileset (good ol' ironhand).
Left eye

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: October 02, 2020, 04:41:24 am »

Awesome! Though personally the masterwork versions of the tables kind of look the worst/plainest, which feels a bit counterintuitive.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: October 02, 2020, 04:58:40 am »

I like the fancy wood grain pattern, metalworking, and intricate details of the top 3 masterwork quality tables.  The masterwork glass table could maybe use a different light sparkle pattern or some ornate glass patterning like the other masterwork tables.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: October 02, 2020, 05:12:32 am »

I like the fancy wood grain pattern, metalworking, and intricate details of the top 3 masterwork quality tables.  The masterwork glass table could maybe use a different light sparkle pattern or some ornate glass patterning like the other masterwork tables.

The ones furthest right are the artifact quality ones, the masterwork is to the left of those (unless I'm understanding things wrong).

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: October 02, 2020, 06:57:25 am »

Oh, you may be right on that, I didn't think artifact quality was shown.  In either case, the glass one on the far right could use a little more intricacy to match the style of the other 3.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: October 02, 2020, 08:33:50 am »

I did not recognise the bed, I thought this is a cabinet.

As for tables - somewhat longer legs would be nice to experiment with IMO.

The rest is absolutely perfect.
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: October 02, 2020, 10:15:18 am »

I agree, the tables could have longer legs.

Tho that might look weird when tables are placed adjecently to eachother vertically.

I cant recall; did you already talk about tables visually changing and connecting with adjecent tables? Both vertically and horizontally?

About the decorations: i feel like some of the decos makes it harder to recognize the tables as being tables, eg. the decoration with the "bars" across the table. Maybe all these things could be toned down a bit. Somehow.
Longer legs on tables would help with that problem. Then there would be no doubt when looking at a table, no matter the decorations.

Lastly: i Really like the spatter effects, and I am still of the opinion that items and weapons should retain the spatter effects as well, clearly it works. I get that weapons are much smaller, but:

Logically, if a weapon is coated in mud, barf, blood etc., it would become pretty hard to determine the quality or wear-state of said weapon, without inspecting it closely.

Which makes sense from a gameplay point of view, as you can 'k' and all that, to look at stuff, or open the inventory to view it when its in your hands.

The tables with patterns and textures are Really charming.
Its always exciting to See more content develop :)!

On a side note; could the beds have some more mundane/humble colours of sheets in the future? They look Very royal. Maybe Some linnen would do for the low quality, then make the sheets more pretty as quality goes up, or give them Some broidery.

Maybe in the futures future, it could be tied to cloth dyeing somehow, Even en tho beds dont require cloth atm.
Hay beds anyone?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 10:58:57 am by MoltenIdol »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: October 02, 2020, 10:55:56 am »

About the decorations: i feel like some of the decos makes it harder to recognize the tables as being tables, eg. the decoration with the "bars" across the table. Maybe all these things could be toned down a bit. Somehow.
On a side note; could the beds have different colours of sheets in the future? They look Very royal. Maybe Some linnen would do for the low quality, then make the sheets more pretty as quality goes up, or give them Some broidery.

Maybe in the futures future, it could be tied to cloth dyeing somehow.

+1 to these ideas

The beds could have simple sheets for basic quality, ramping up toward embroidered multi-color quilts for the best.

I don't think the longer legs are needed, however.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: October 02, 2020, 12:45:12 pm »

The beds could have simple sheets for basic quality, ramping up toward embroidered multi-color quilts for the best.

That would be great.
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

Dishmab

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: October 02, 2020, 02:14:14 pm »

I can dig these tables and beds. im sure making art is a bit of work, but i think the details will allow you to match the games complex artistic nature appropriately.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 178