Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22

Author Topic: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm  (Read 49521 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2019, 04:37:15 pm »

Hi Pikachu17, how fares the farm?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2019, 05:37:59 pm »

I've not done a lot yet, I'll have more time to do stuff this weekend.
==
1st Moonstone, 252.
Overseer's Log start.
The fool superdorf couldn't handle the pressure, so I have replaced him.
As I am taking over the place, I will look over our stuff, mostly our military arrangements, and report it here.

2nd Moonstone.
A dwarf named Ducim Sinkanvils is apparently honorably discharged, despite perfect mental health, and mostly good health. He does have an infection, but that's hardly a reason, in my opinion, to keep him out of the military. Congratulations, Ducim, you are hereby honorably whatever the opposite of discharged is.

Two dwarves were honorably discharged because of a single broken/missing hand. I have decided to just let them in the military, a single missing hand does not make a dwarf a worthless soldier.

I have hereby put everyone somewhere in the army, excluding the mentally ill. Don't wanna give those guys weapon practice in case they snap.

Unrelated, there is an atom smasher, just sitting out in the open. Why the hell is there not a way to close access to the atom smasher when it is in use?

3rd Moonstone.
For too long, the elves and goblins have ruled this land in our stead.
And somewhat recently, they have had the audacity to attack us.
They have not awoken the sleeping giant.
No, they have not, for what giant could contend with the might of the dwarves?
We will march, all of our sane dwarves, we will march, and we will crush their pitiful forces, and then, when the shattered remnants of their once-great fortresses and retreats lie are trampled beneath our feet, they will know what we are.
WE! ARE! DWARVES!

4th Moonstone.
87 Dwarves vs thirteen trolls, five goblins, and one human. All of our enemies in that site were slain, and we had no casualties. A fine first curb-stomp of our foes, and an omen of those to come.

5th Moonstone.
Another omen, though less welcoming, a ghost named '38 0XA Geshud ageshrimtar has risen, and is haungting the fortress.

17th Moonstone.
We have attacked the forest retreat Growllucid, destroying the place, and with it 156 elves. We also got 84 books (Pretty sure there's still plenty of books.), although now that I think about it, we don't actually appear to have a library. That could be a problem.

18th Moonstone.
A farmer decided that because we was not getting to eat our prepared meals, he should punch someone's pet rooster to death.
Yeah. Apparently that logic made sense to him.
And a axedwarf also decided the best way to deal with anger is with punching stuff in the face.
Locking them up for now, but going to put it a poll what punishment should be. (Seriously guys, should I  just imprison haggard people, or should I send them to conquer places?)
I have built a library in the south part of the tavern, to store our books in.

25th Moonstone.
It takes about about seven, eight days to move out again after marching upon a place.
I will continue to send them marching until we reach the end of Winter, at which point I will change the fort to being back to being a farming fort.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2019, 06:01:31 pm »

Military dwarves having morale problems need to be pulled out, they're gonna be more of a danger to the residents than enemies if thier morale is low (Be careful of any natural cowards, high anxiety, or shitty stress vulnerability, those people need to be kept away from dead bodies and large scale combat, because the stressors will hit them far harder, and last far longer.)

Anyone who is missing a hand can't hold a shield. Anyone with nerve damage functionally has blood bags for the enemy to hit. They have no business being in 44.12 combat where high quality armor alone will not guarantee safety like it used to (that masterwork helmet might stop a blow, but your soldier is likely to still suffer bruised spinal tissue and die anyway if hit by anything sturdier than elf-made arms. In a double-edged manner though, this does work both ways so there's that.)

EDIT: If you're dead set on keeping cripples and the mentally unsound/ill-suited in the army, cycle them into reserve units and only deploy them in emergencies.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2019, 07:36:16 pm »

I might do that later, but for now I'm attacking, not defending, and their lack of shield holding isn't an issue while attacking sites.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2019, 03:01:05 am »

Meanwhile, the Deepholds descend deeper into chaos and anarchy due to our failure to trade food last autumn.

Seriously though, raiding is not in the mission brief. We're a hidden, semi-peaceful farming outpost and absolutely not an invading army.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women" is an enormous waste of time: the best thing in life is to meticulously optimize the food industry. I mean, obviously. I feel like that goes without saying.

Anyway, on the question you actually asked: imprison and de-stress the haggards so they can produce more food later on.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2019, 03:04:24 pm »

I'll admit that is not working as well as I hoped, but the real intention was to make everybody good at fighting so it won't matter as much if people are caught outside.
But I'm more used to having smaller squads going right next door and return in a day, than this large amount that takes 9 days to get back.

While I'm at it, is there any problem with keeping all the bridges closed, and opening them as needed?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 03:12:47 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2019, 03:21:25 pm »

Well, if they're closed when the caravans arrive, you won't get the wagons. And given the sheer quantity of stuff we're exporting, we need those wagons.

But it should be fine, just so long as you open the gates again during the first months of each season.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2019, 05:46:33 pm »

Meanwhile, the Deepholds descend deeper into chaos and anarchy due to our failure to trade food last autumn.

Seriously though, raiding is not in the mission brief. We're a hidden, semi-peaceful farming outpost and absolutely not an invading army.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women" is an enormous waste of time: the best thing in life is to meticulously optimize the food industry. I mean, obviously. I feel like that goes without saying.

Anyway, on the question you actually asked: imprison and de-stress the haggards so they can produce more food later on.
Offense is the best defense.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2019, 04:40:53 pm »

26th Moonstone.
So, apparently, "I can't just act like some kind of dictator.", and I have to actually do what my people want, because, as the cool kids say, we have "Democracy". So now the citizens are refusing to all fight for me.

I am also being forced to honorably discharge the one-handed people again, though the people agreed they can be put in a reserve force.

28th Moonstone.
We really have a large number of close to breaking people.
I have been told to put them in asylum in the hopes that they will grow better, yet the current space is not adequate for all of them, and the current spaces are not perfect either. I shall hold them in smaller rooms until their luxury rooms are ready.

I am putting down some guard dog chains, so we can know if some elves are sneaking up on us.

29th Moonstone.
I have sent the military raiding to 'appropriate' exotic animals to make meals out of.
Today they returned with two elephants, one horse, five mandrills, three tigers, and four bobcats.
I think I'll keep the elephants, and tigers for war training, but I'll butcher the rest.

2nd Opal.
(OOC:Because I can't figure out a way to say this IC. All of our babies have novice ambusher, but no combat skills. Apparently the babies also learn a lesson in stealth while their mothers do.)

6th Obsidian.
Our raiders have 'acquired' eight tigers, three elephants, seven mandrills, two horses, and three bobcats.
I'll keep keep the females of the tigers and elephants and one male of each, and slaughter the rest.

12th Obsidian.
The people in the asylums have little to do. I have knocked on their doors and told them to smooth their rooms, and make some stone amulets. This will keep them busy and give them good thoughts.

Also, it is Onol's first birthday. She is currently a fairly competent ambusher, which is quite out annoying when she pops out of places and startles you.

15th Obsidian.
People are reading books instead of working. No. The books are not for reading. They are for knowing we have them, and the elves no longer do. Reading books is forbidden.

17th Obsidian.
The raiders have been very successful. Nine bobcats, seven horses, 11 Mandrills, and eight Tigers. I will do with them as I have done with the rest.

1st Granite, 254.
A new year. Same problems.

8th Granite.
The luxury asylums for the the very mentally ill are ready.

15th Granite.
I have decided that the current levels of walls are not good enough, so I have ordered a layering of overhangs on it.

11th Slate.
Some migrants arrived.
A butcher/marksdwarf.
A hauler.
A marksdwarf/lyemaker.
A clerk/Gem cutter.
A jeweler/Bone Doctor.
A farmer/mechanic.
A fisherdwarf/cook.
A gatherer.
An armorsmith.
An engraver.
An animal trainer/wound dresser.
A grower/Soldier
A less skilled armorsmith.
A miller/Gatherer/Weaver.
A glassmaker.
116 citizens in total now.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 22, 2019, 08:10:09 pm »

Eating the beasts of our enemies... that's brilliant that is! I love it!

You're running a good solid turn. Have you done anything with that half-finished greenhouse?

klonk
Sigtext

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 22, 2019, 09:55:19 pm »

You can get tame animals from raids? I didn't know that. Cool!

I'd recommend keeping a breeding pair of each species we liberate from their cruel elven masters for sustainable production of exotic meatstuff. If it starts to become an FPS problem we can always cull the more common meatstuff.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2019, 05:19:01 pm »

Eating the beasts of our enemies... that's brilliant that is! I love it!

You're running a good solid turn. Have you done anything with that half-finished greenhouse?
Not really, with the steady supply of meat (and the plants we're already growing.) going on, I'd have to lower our average meal rating and have a dabbling cook or three (in addition to our five current cooks.) to need a larger amount of farmland than we already have, especially considering the large amount of aboveground dirt that is not yet farmed.

You can get tame animals from raids? I didn't know that. Cool!

I'd recommend keeping a breeding pair of each species we liberate from their cruel elven masters for sustainable production of exotic meatstuff. If it starts to become an FPS problem we can always cull the more common meatstuff.
I... guess I could do that? I am pretty sure they still have a lot of animals in the forest retreats. I guess I might as well keep a pair of each just in case, but we can get fully adult 20 animals about once a month, and that's being conservative, so it doesn't really have much purpose unless the elves somehow run out.

Does anyone know if we have visible kobold caves on this map?
I'd love to get some Giant Cave Spiders if we could.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:20:54 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2019, 07:14:35 pm »

That greenhouse isn't meant to supplement the existing farms-- it's meant to replace them. The rain was slowly-but-surely driving our farmers insane, and I hoped to provide them a patch of indoors farm-worthy ground.

klonk
Sigtext

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2019, 02:44:46 am »

May I please be dwarfed as Blitzgamer, as a male dwarf that likes microline and has not yet had a mood? It feels good to return to my favorite story. a tale of food and farms and !!FUN!!
Microline for everyone!

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2019, 04:44:49 pm »

Wow. I lurked through the first Breadbowl mostly because I’m a massive agriculture nerd. It’s crazy to see a third iteration of this going strong! I haven’t played the latest edition of Dwarf Fortress. Maybe I’ll brush up just for the sake of actually being a part of it this time. I don’t want to commit until I see how my future schedule plays out though.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22