Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22

Author Topic: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm  (Read 49491 times)

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2019, 06:36:59 pm »

so, as a df noob (never played, not my skill set) is it possible for artifact gets to get encrusted into other artifacts? and can artifact weapons be stored in artifact weapon stands?
Microline for everyone!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2019, 03:13:12 am »

so, as a df noob (never played, not my skill set) is it possible for artifact gets to get encrusted into other artifacts? and can artifact weapons be stored in artifact weapon stands?
1. I don’t belive so, 2. Yes, if you can convince the Dorfs to use the Weapon stands at all. It works for armour and armour stands as well.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2019, 01:11:37 pm »

Shame. I'd love it if artifacts could be used to make other artifacts, creating uberfacts.
Microline for everyone!

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 26, 2019, 01:12:25 pm »

so, it's been a few days. do we skip?
Microline for everyone!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2019, 01:21:55 pm »

I'm still playing. I am not sure I'll be able to get to the end of fall at Monday, but I will try.

Also, Blitz, Is the microline liking a requirement? A male dwarf that hasn't had a mood is easy. Finding one that specifically likes microline is harder.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 26, 2019, 02:19:51 pm »

If no one likes microline thats fine. I just like blue. go for any male, no mood who might make something cool
Microline for everyone!

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2019, 05:18:30 pm »

Can I get dorfed as a male fisherdwarf that hasn't been drafted? Custom profession "Union Representative"

Basically fine so long as the majority of the skills are uselessly related to fishing.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2019, 12:35:23 pm »

24th Slate.
Today, I met a true dwarf. In fact, it was our mayor, Zulban Thadatis. He told me that he never feels discouraged, after haven seen a cyclops fall to our might. Positive emotional development. We could use more of that.

25th Slate.
Oddom Wealthpulleys has gotten stressed enough to stumble obliviously around.
I will stick him in the interim asylum while I build a luxury asylum for him.

26th Slate.
Yesterday, I mentioned the asylum. And, speak of the Slime Devil, it appears one of the solitary dwarves is cured of their mental problems. I didn't know it was possible, but Kadol Sandbust, a adequate carpenter, is not even stressed. She is discharged from the solitary confinement, just in time for Oddom.
In addition Blackchibisan is merely stressed, not haggard;
Rith Basementjoin the Impaler is also no longer stressed.

6th Felsite.
A miller has woken up crazy. Normally, this would be the cue to toss 'em in the 'sylum, but he  appears to actually be possessed. And not the bad possessed either, the mediocre kind where they make a stone amulet. Crossed beards on it being at least a cool stone crown or something.

Also today, a visiting human crossbowman decided to take a couple swings at a human lasher. I don't really know what to do. I can't expel the human; can't easily asylum her; could easily kill her, but that seems like kind of disproportionate.

7th Felsite.
I let the human live, being all nice and stuff, and how does she repay me? By destroying a farm plot.
Destroying a farm, when practically the main purpose of this fort is farming.
Little Nithim Girderear, the one and only reason I am not calling the soldiers to massacre you, is because the absolute annihalhation of your dying carcass would utterly terrify the less hardened citizens of this outpost.

Tobul, the possessed one, has claimed a magma forge. He's only a metal crafter, not a weaponsmith or something, but still, at least we might get a mildly cool artifact.

16th Felsite.
Dobar Teacherracked has gone berserk, which is fine, considering he was already in the asylum. Regrettable, but fine.
I have the entire army ready to kill him on my orders.
They killed him pretty easily.

Tobul Udistbesmar has picked the most awkward time to finish an artifact. He calls it "Sprayedshowered".
It is a silver bracelet decorated with pomegranate wood, tiger bone, and mandrill bone. On it is an image of Fingertusk the Dot of Tunneling- One of our other artifacts- in silver and an image of a diamond in diorite. It is worth 31200 Urists.
(OOC: There appears to be a loyalty cascade. Since there is no real reason for it to happen in-story, I will probably roll back the save a little.
Nevermind, the perp appears to be the wife of the berserker, who is attacking her husband's killer, even if her husband was totally insane, which is an in-story reason, so if conflict is confined to these two, I will not roll back the save, even if the militia captain gets serious injuries taking down the wife.)
--
A second tragedy has struck. Though the berserker was taken down easily, his wife Onol Imkethmorul, could not accept his death and attacked his killer, Udil Gravelfuture, captain of the third spear squad. Though he took her down eventually, it was not without cost.
Though I will have to find out later from the doctors, it is possible Udil will never walk or grasp again, and may be a quadropalegic.

21st Felsite.
There is good news.
Udil the captain who was injured in last week's disaster, is expected to make a full recovery.

1st Hematite.
The goblins have begun to siege us. I think I made the walls unassailable, but I'm not sure.
The citizens are being called inside, and the soldiers are being called to defend our land.
10+
16+
16+
16+
18+
Goblins

Beak Dogs

7 Trolls

2nd Hematite.
Gods damn it. The impaler, Rith, thought it was a good to attack the force of the goblins by himself, without a spear. Why the freaking HFS do you not have a spear?
He's still alive, but I'm not sure he'll survive until the other soldiers get to him.

3rd Hematite.
The stupid idiot died before help could arrive. Also, the mayor thought the middle of a siege was a good time to re-impose export embargos. Read the mood of the room, dude.

4th Hematite.
The battle is finally over.
The fatalities on our side include Rith, the Impaler; Shorast Amostsarek, a marksdwarf; Rimtar Melbirritan, a spearsdwarf (who did not have a freaking spear. WHY?); Ingiz Kirarmosus, a Mace lord; Sanctum, our commander; Bim Kolnicat a speardwarf (Seriously, are speardwarves arrow magnets or something? Only Shorast did not use spears.).
The non-fatal casualties include Olin Laboredspoke, a marksdwarf with a broken skull; Capt Zuglarkun, the captain of the first axe squad, with a fractured leg; Sarvesh Oddomdurad, a hammerdwarf with a cut arm.

5th Hematite.
Bearskie, and Zulban Avalnish are no longer stressed enough to be in his asylum. I have discharged them from the loony bin.

9th Hematite.
The humans have arrived to deliver our exported food and drink to the mountainhomes.

11th Hematite.
Our raiders have returned with eight mandrills, fourteen tigers, and nine bobcats.
Also, what in the HFS? The humans are leaving? Why? I thought they were here to deliver the food to the mountainhomes?

21st Hematite.
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

There were some giant cardinals harrassing the populace, so I sent a marksman to kill them.

One of them strangled him. I didn't even know cardinals could do that.

27th Hematite.
Some guy came up to me today, and said "Hi! I'm Blitzgamer! I have not yet had a mood, but I will have one someday! I'm an armorer!". He struck me as a very ambitious kind of guy. Not sure why I am writing this down, not like I write down the other minutae of running a fort, but I just felt like writing it down for some reason.

5th Malachite.
A little kid is throwing a temper tantrum. Fortunately, he was in an empty asylum room at the time he started it, so I can just shut him up in it until he learns his lesson.

15th Malachite.
Migrants are arriving.
Two metelsmiths.
A gemsetter.
A swordsdwarf.
A dyer.
Two weavers.
A tanner/Wood Crafter.
Our citizens are up to 115.

17th Malachite.
What the friggin crap?
Sibrek Losisingiz, the new dyer, appears to have two in-sync bodies.
I will send a letter to the Mounain Home scientists, asking if this is a known phenomenon, or have we just discovered something.

In asylum news, Blackchibisan appears to be mentally fit. Out you go.
In addition, Kadol Cugganablel, a carpenter, has apparently had a minor relapse. Come on, go back into the asylum.

25th Galena.
A planter, Rovod Taroniton, has created Luzatdeleth, a perfect milk quartz.
Blitzgamer was mumbling about something like "Shoulda been me. I coulda made cool stuff."

15th Limestone.
The caravan from the Deep Halls is here. Let us hope they don't inexplicably leave this time.

17th Limestone.
(Start tweetie bird voice)
They did. They did inexplicably leave.
(End tweetie bird voice)
Do they not need 5010 drinks and  11754 Prepared meals for some reason?

18th Limestone.
Immortal-D apparently has a bad marriage, because she feels regretful dwelling upon getting married.

24th Limestone.
We now have a general familiarity with tiger training methods. Coool.

17th Sandstone.
A child told me that he thinks that the caverns have a gigantic winged feathered spider with a poisonous bite. What an imagination the kid's got!

21st Sandstone.
More migrants are arriving. Is this the third batch this year?
Two bonecarvers.
A herbalist/sworddwarf.
A carpenter.
Two jewelers. Geeze, is this the fifth and sixth ones we've gotten? Seriously people, we don't need more.
A hammerdwarf/Clerk.

Current number of Citizens:122

1st Timber.
One month until I must submit to democracy. I will try to prepare the fort for the exchange of leadership, but I make no promises that I will do a good job.

Sarvesh Stagshilrovod is talking to his carambola shield and calling it Rulathel. Perhaps she needs some confinement in the asylum?

5th Timber.
We have caught a giant black bear, and three kestrel folk. No idea what to do with the kestrel folk.
We could butcher the bear now,or hope we can get another one and breed them. I will leave this decision to my successor.

1st Moonstone, 254.
This is the date in which I give up my position as overseer to next schdeuled candidate.

Notes to the next overseer.
Today, we have 12560 prepared meals, and 5692 drinks. I believe that I started the year with 1700 of each from Superdorf.

In my year I did a small amount to move our stuff underground, with a semi-underground farm at level 105, and kitchens and stills to use it.

At levels 108 and 107 are the luxury asylums. Make sure to check every once and awhile and make sure that they have food and water, and that unstressed people are let out.
Keep in mind that I gave asylumers engraving and stonecrafting duties, so make sure to remove dabbling skills from the released asylumers, and re-add them to the correct squads.
On level 108, at the second east room from the stairway, is an experiment of having multiple asylumers train in fighting together, instead of being alone. It appears to be working.

Try to find out what is causing the caravans to go away from here. This is a top priority, as we can't deliver food to the Deep Home otherwise.
I had added an additional trade depot and bridge for turtling purposes. It is possible that this is the source of the problem.

At the moment we don't have logs, so as soon as we re-acquire them, make sure that we are making barrels, and brewing plants.

May you have a wonderful year,
Pikachu17.
====
The Save.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14357

Sorry, Trigon, I didn't dwarf you.
I did dwarf myself and Blitzgamer.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:38:53 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2019, 01:33:11 pm »

The asylum is clever, though with a few full-time masons, a few very nice rooms could be whipped up to cheer people up, and with enough work, all the rooms ocuod be replaced wi’ them.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2019, 12:55:46 pm »

It’s fine. I did request it pretty late in your turn. I’m sure the next overseer will be able to manage.

Is sanity really such a huge issue in the newest version? It seems to me that without carefully reviewing the mental profile of each and every dwarf military dwarf there will be more instances of them going berserk and murdering civilians.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2019, 01:13:17 pm »

Is sanity really such a huge issue in the newest version? It seems to me that without carefully reviewing the mental profile of each and every dwarf military dwarf there will be more instances of them going berserk and murdering civilians.

It's mainly an issue of how certain stressors act. Combat comes with a fairly strong negative per ally in a fight (vengeful,) and uneasy thoughts hit per dead sapient and can scar someone for life - even if the only "dead body" they saw was  a severed hand that might not be recognizable as a hand anymore, or teeth that realistically would be indistinguishable from random pebbles without careful scrutiny. Rain also appears to reapply itself each time a unit leaves cover, causing it to inflict a disproportionate amount of stress, which is especially noticeable in mostly surface-dwelling forts/races like this one.

So if your area is super rainy and your militia just slaughtered a hundred dudes, then most of your people get shithammered with stress for it. All of this is affected by anxiety, bravery, and a few other factors (borderline suicidally brave excitement-seekers for instance, actually enjoy fighting - and don't get hit with the negative vengeance stressor - and don't mind dead enemies or even sometimes allies for instance.)

But it seems dwarves ere on the side of being mentally fragile without modding, and more often than not develop negative personality changes in response to stress. The easiest fix is decreasing stress vulnerability in whatever civ you're playing as so it takes far more than rain or a few dead enemies/animal men, or you can be (in my opinion) boring and just treat all outside spaces like they're highly toxic poison that kills your units for the slightest exposure, rush magma for a trap cleaning agent, and never interact with anything ever.

EDIT: Apologies for the slight tirade at the end there. It's just that I use soldiers to deal with damn-near everything and take a slow approach to things, so I have extensive experience with the two largest stressors - rain and (mostly the aftermath of) combat.

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2019, 04:29:31 pm »

Interesting. I’m bad with burrows and setting up a military, so my fortresses tend to run on inventive ways to make enemies fall thirty Z-levels to their death. Does discipline effect the negative stressors at all? I recall it making individuals less likely to flee and panic, but I’ve never paid attention to possible effects on sanity.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2019, 05:13:22 pm »

A note from Lordy:
TOLD YOU SO!
I TOLD YOU A FOUNDER WOULD DIE AT SOME POINT.
Not to disrespect Sanctume, as I hope he is happy in the halls of whatever god he believes in,
BUT STILL!
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2019, 07:12:59 pm »

I'd love to see my dwarf's stats at this point. I see him as eager to help the fort and jealous of those who do get moods and waste them on useless trinkets
Microline for everyone!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 01, 2019, 12:02:45 pm »

Am I supposed to message the next player myself? I didn't do that.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22