Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Economy?  (Read 2652 times)

Dragonslayerelf

• Bay Watcher
  • Respectable Dwarf
    • View Profile
Economy?
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:24:57 pm »

I was wondering if there were any plans in place to institute an economy in our dwarven fortresses? I was just thinking 'it'd be cool if these coins had use like in adventure mode' whilst reading the description of a stack of coins and was wondering if it was in the works to be implemented.  I know that they're planning on working on religion, magic and law stuff first, but is there any news that the economy is coming after that?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Economy?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 12:52:27 pm »

It had a brief appearance shortly after the .40d era.

It was VERY buggy.  Every noble in the fortress was in a constant pissing match of who set what prices on what items, which *ALWAYS* boiled down to selfish "I really like [Green glass gems]! PRICE IS NOW 500% higher!" insanity.

Additionally, all rooms suddenly had rent that was due-- causing many dwarves to be unable to afford to be alive (food cost currency units, drinks cost currency units, sleeping in a room cost currency units... etc.... And the amount paid for normal "these jobs are not glamorous, but are essential to running a fortress" like item hauling, paid so little that it was just sad to watch), making fortresses that WERE thriving and very healthy suddenly go into full on tantrum spiral in minutes as soon as the baron showed up.  In addition to that, if you were stupid enough to actually mint coins, dwarves would spend all their time pushing stacks of them around instead of doing jobs that actually paid them something, and so the problem was greatly magnified. (most people eschewed the minting of coins for this reason.)

It was subsequently disabled (though I understand the code is still present and can be turned on with dfhack) in later versions, and the players rejoiced.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 02:11:30 pm »

Additionally, all rooms suddenly had rent that was due-- causing many dwarves to be unable to afford to be alive (food cost currency units, drinks cost currency units, sleeping in a room cost currency units... etc.... And the amount paid for normal "these jobs are not glamorous, but are essential to running a fortress" like item hauling, paid so little that it was just sad to watch)
This sounds like a feature, considering that's how it works in real life

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 03:25:40 pm »

I remember when my neighbor who makes a living carrying boulders with his bare hands couldn't pay his rent so he went on a bloody rampage, starting a nation-wide brawl that almost ended human civilization as we know it. I was busy carrying 500 gold coins one by one, so I avoided getting involved.
I know what you really meant though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 05:08:49 pm »

To answer the original question: yes, Toady intends to make a new attempt to implement economy, with the hope that it will work out better that time. However, it's a way off, as we first have the Big Wait, Myth & Magic arc(s), then starting scenarios. After that Toady hasn't made up his mind whether to implement economy first and machinery (including boats) on top of the economy, or machinery first and then economy. As usual, plans are subject to change...

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 06:57:27 am »

Additionally, all rooms suddenly had rent that was due-- causing many dwarves to be unable to afford to be alive (food cost currency units, drinks cost currency units, sleeping in a room cost currency units... etc.... And the amount paid for normal "these jobs are not glamorous, but are essential to running a fortress" like item hauling, paid so little that it was just sad to watch)

Depends on country. If it is run by mean bastards, then it looks like this. But it doesn't have to.

I think that Toady wants to test new economy a bit with villain arc, but this will not be in the fortress (as I understand) but within world generation and active world. Wealth the villains create and purchase buildings with has to be simulated somehow.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 02:54:29 pm »

I think that Toady wants to test new economy a bit with villain arc, but this will not be in the fortress (as I understand) but within world generation and active world. Wealth the villains create and purchase buildings with has to be simulated somehow.

You mean, like Crime Lords buying buildings and setting up fronts for illegal business or their own gambling halls or taverns or...?  You know you are right.  Kind of hard to have villains when you don't have a economy to steal goods or money from.   ???

Mobster: Shame if somebody damaged all your goods...

Stop Owner: Not really.  I'll just replace them when the player isn't around. 

Mobster: Foiled!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 07:24:34 pm »

You mean, like Crime Lords buying buildings and setting up fronts for illegal business or their own gambling halls or taverns or...?  You know you are right.  Kind of hard to have villains when you don't have a economy to steal goods or money from.   ???

Mobster: Shame if somebody damaged all your goods...

Stop Owner: Not really.  I'll just replace them when the player isn't around. 

Mobster: Foiled!
Villains required groups that interact with each other throughout the world. There weren't enough in the world when Toady tested Villains the first time, which is why this long unscheduled development break began, so he could add them.

These groups include companies, mercenary groups and others which are using accounts to track their wealth in the world economy. So the Villains release is experimenting with more ways to use the economy (outside of player areas).

Plus embezzling, blackmail, etc...