Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 116726 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #1185 on: April 20, 2020, 12:53:13 pm »

Ask about watchers, both of the mundane and the magical kind, so that we better know how to behave in these sort of situations. Where are they usually located? Do they watch areas or people? Are there ways to spot them or evade them? What sort of restrictions do they have? Stuff like that.

Sounds good, also +1

+1.

Also, "if anyone was listening they'd be bored by now" - heh, that's the same thing she said when she and Bruce were waiting.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 20, 2020, 12:58:05 pm »

Ask about watchers, both of the mundane and the magical kind, so that we better know how to behave in these sort of situations. Where are they usually located? Do they watch areas or people? Are there ways to spot them or evade them? What sort of restrictions do they have? Stuff like that.

Sounds good, also +1
+1 try coding the questions if possible

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1187 on: April 20, 2020, 01:24:36 pm »

Oh, also ask if there's a way to protect an area from supernatural surveillance and if doing so automatically makes such areas suspicious. Also ask if there are areas that naturally repel such supernatural surveillance that we may seek out when we need a hiding place.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 21, 2020, 08:16:18 am »

Sounds good, also +1

+1.

Also, "if anyone was listening they'd be bored by now" - heh, that's the same thing she said when she and Bruce were waiting.
Oh, also ask if there's a way to protect an area from supernatural surveillance and if doing so automatically makes such areas suspicious. Also ask if there are areas that naturally repel such supernatural surveillance that we may seek out when we need a hiding place.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1189 on: April 23, 2020, 11:22:00 am »

"Watchers is just a general name we use for anyone with senses beyond normal who are used for spying or surveillance. Their exact abilities will vary person to person: Remote viewers, Postcogs -those are people who can see into the past in one way or another-, Precogs, Trackers, Astral Projectors,  any number of things. Its one of the things that makes defense against them so difficult, what you would do to defend is different depending on the person tracking you. For example, an astral projector would have a hard time finding that bunker of ours simply because they wouldn't think to look in a false pillar. But if they could 'home in' on an individual by their picture or something, then there would be little that we could do.  Luckily really powerful and precise watchers are rare, so they only get assigned to really important things. Our best defense against them is simply remaining unimportant or not suspicious. Or at the very least mundane in our transgressions. If we get caught then we're just illegal immigrants, not spies, if you catch my drift. Still in trouble but a lot less interesting. Similarly, if you ever do a break in like you did, being discrete is a great benefit because it stops them from even realizing the crime and pulling in a Postcog to look into it.

Anyways, I'm not saying there aren't other methods. Sometimes people plant false evidence to throw Postcogs off for instance. One guy threw dirt he'd collected from all over the city's streets on his crime scenes to muddle his image, so to speak, with thousands of others. Some Astral Projectors can't penetrate certain materials, like copper or lead. Precogs often have short effective windows or certain conditions you can game if you know them. But that all relies on us knowing who is after us. Unfortunately you generally don't have that luxury."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:24:14 am by piecewise »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 24, 2020, 09:49:48 am »

Maybe we'd be safe from the watchers if we had aluminium hats, so they couldn't uses their brain powers to mind rape us for our secrets.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 24, 2020, 10:03:07 am »

Spend tomorrow observing routes, so do we spend today getting closer to the place we are scouting?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 25, 2020, 07:31:41 am »

Spend tomorrow observing routes, so do we spend today getting closer to the place we are scouting?
+1 Probably better to do something productive than contemplate whether or not aluminium will protect our mind.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1193 on: April 27, 2020, 09:29:38 am »

The hike to the ridge is uneventful and neither of you attempt to keep up a facade. Esme is pretty certain that, and she has more experience with than you after all.  The ridge is quite a thing, the edge of a massive and clearly ancient canyon that has eroded away the halves of two small mountains. Its not very deep, but it is miles wide. You both crawl to its edge and peek over into the space below. The wall of the cliff is a near vertical fall straight to the wide open plains below. From here you can see the river that carved this valley, the road leading northwest, and the checkpoint. From this distance the checkpoint is nothing but a little nodule of gray concrete on rolling yellow grassland, a metal fence like a silver thread stretching from its either side to the walls of the valley.  Esme pulls out a pair of Binoculars and checks the scene before handing them to you.

There look to be three buildings, aside from the squat gatehouse itself. There's a concrete tower which seems to hold a machinegun nest or something like it, a smaller building to the right of the road past the gate, and a large one to the left. Judging from some thin smoke rising from the right hand building, its likely the utilities or something of the kind. The large building is likely the barracks that Esme told you about; its where any info would likely be stored. You make note of all the guards; there are 7 in total that you can see.  Two are in the gate house, two in the tower, and then the other three are beyond the gate. One of those beyond the gate is sitting in a half circle of sandbags with a mounted machine gun pointed at the gate. The other two are just sort of hanging out next to the larger building.

Over the hours you watch, the two guards  that aren't in a set position kind of just wander about. If they have a set patrol its either so erratic you can't follow it or they're straight up ignoring it. Sometimes they walk together, sometimes they split up, mostly they just do laps of the compound and occasionally walk the fence. You keep watch for the rest of the day and even into the night, past when Esme has called it quits and set up camp a few hundred feet away, hidden by the woods. There look to be about 25 people at the checkpoint in total and three shifts which change out at 8 hour intervals. These intervals seem to be set up like this  First shift from 4:00 - 12:00, second from 12:00 to 20:00, and last from 20:00 to 4:00.  They take about 20-30 minutes to fully change over and the one starting at 4:00 seems to be the slowest to assemble and get into positions.

During the time you watch, there are only two vehicles that enter the area; a large truck and a bus that is likely a prison transport. The truck stops at the gate and then stops again inside the checkpoint where the soldiers unload some boxes and then move them to the smaller, right hand building. The bus does not stop inside the checkpoint, but continues up the road as soon as it is past the gate. Both of them return a few hours later and are let past with much less scrutiny.

Esme joins you again around 5:00 and asks how it looks. You tell her what you've learned.

"If we're dropping a rat spy in there, I'd think that maybe dropping it in the middle of the night shift is best. Likely the commander is asleep and no one should be wandering the halls."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1194 on: April 27, 2020, 12:05:47 pm »

I agree, dropping it at midnight when there's no light and the guards are more tired, more relaxed and more likely to not notice things, stay in place and avoid bothering to investigate strange noises sounds like the best idea. The only issue is, how is the rat going to see if the room with the information we need is dark? While I'm certain the rat is able to navigate fine in darkness, it probably won't be able to read so well. A light suddenly turning on might attract attention. And if we take the document instead of copying it we risk alerting then to our presence and getting a watcher on our tail. So we either hope the document is in a room without windows or a room where the light is turned on all the time or we take the document (assuming the rat can identify it in the darkness), copy it and then have the rat put it back where it took it from. What does Esme think about this? Any suggestions?

We should also decide on a way for the rat to signal that it needs a pickup. Could we detect some sort of motion it makes? Or could we give it something small like an undead bug or a small golem and have it crush it or remove its core to signal us that we should order the bird to go pick it up?

Finally, we should decide where to drop the rat. Were there any obvious every points we could see? Open windows? Unused stove chimneys? Unused regular chimneys? Ventilation system? Or maybe they open the windows during the day, so we can have the bird drop the rat during the day and have it hide until night?

Edit: Also, could we identify any high ranking officers? If yes, then following them with some sort of bug might be an easy way to discover the target room. If not, then we can wait for another transport and have the bird watch the person recording the information to see where it ends up.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 12:10:23 pm by Parisbre56 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 27, 2020, 12:09:25 pm »

I'm not convinced that spirit senses need light per se. Piecewise doesn't even have eyes, but he can navigate and stab people just fine. Maybe rat will have darkvision. Maybe it depends on what spirit we use.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 27, 2020, 06:03:37 pm »

Don't rats have good night vision anyway? Or am I just making that up?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 28, 2020, 04:00:54 am »

Do we even need the rat to be able to read, I thought this was us scouting the building for when we go inside to grab the stuff?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1198 on: April 30, 2020, 10:32:54 am »

I agree, dropping it at midnight when there's no light and the guards are more tired, more relaxed and more likely to not notice things, stay in place and avoid bothering to investigate strange noises sounds like the best idea. The only issue is, how is the rat going to see if the room with the information we need is dark? While I'm certain the rat is able to navigate fine in darkness, it probably won't be able to read so well. A light suddenly turning on might attract attention. And if we take the document instead of copying it we risk alerting then to our presence and getting a watcher on our tail. So we either hope the document is in a room without windows or a room where the light is turned on all the time or we take the document (assuming the rat can identify it in the darkness), copy it and then have the rat put it back where it took it from. What does Esme think about this? Any suggestions?

We should also decide on a way for the rat to signal that it needs a pickup. Could we detect some sort of motion it makes? Or could we give it something small like an undead bug or a small golem and have it crush it or remove its core to signal us that we should order the bird to go pick it up?

Finally, we should decide where to drop the rat. Were there any obvious every points we could see? Open windows? Unused stove chimneys? Unused regular chimneys? Ventilation system? Or maybe they open the windows during the day, so we can have the bird drop the rat during the day and have it hide until night?

Edit: Also, could we identify any high ranking officers? If yes, then following them with some sort of bug might be an easy way to discover the target room. If not, then we can wait for another transport and have the bird watch the person recording the information to see where it ends up.
Esme says, and some quick tests with a reanimated rat confirms, that it does not seem to need ordinary sensory organs or environments conducive to those organs in order to function. Even blindfolded the rat could not only "see" but could memorize materials given to it. Esme recommends having the rat enter the compound, find the needed papers, memorize them, then return here and use it to copy the information.

The best entry point seems to be that of a ventilation system on the roof, similar to the one you used to enter the labs. The rat is small enough that it can not only enter the larger combined duct but also scurry around the smaller ducts, gaining access to just about anywhere in the building. As per a signal, Esme says she assumed the bird would just wait on the roof for the rat to return. A bird sitting on the roof of a building isn't exactly a rare or out of the ordinary occurrence. The chance of their being a necromancer on site to notice it is extremely low, after all.

As per high ranking officers,you did see one man who looks as though he might be one. He didn't do any work or patrols, just walked out a few times and looked around or talked to the drivers of the vehicles coming through before disappearing back into the main building.  You consider sending an insect spy after him but cannot easily apprehend a suitable creature. A fly would be ideal but catching and killing one without smashing it is a lot harder than you imagined. They're so tiny that anything you do renders them effectively unusable. 

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 30, 2020, 10:59:34 am »

Give piecewise a needle or something to stab throughout a fly or other bug's heart with his precision skills. Or use our own necroprecision to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 94