Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 116317 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #1035 on: March 03, 2020, 04:27:49 pm »

+1 to introducing ourselves. Recommend we apologize for eavesdropping as well, it was unintentional.

Fair point. Let's revise like so:

"You know, it's not polite to speak about someone behind their back." Make an appearance: hands raised, friendly smile, keep our head down.

"Apologies, ladies and gents-- didn't intend to eavesdrop, but I just came in and I couldn't help but overhear. If I might put in my two cents?"

Speak our piece.

+1

+1 this seems well-rounded and non-threatening.

Frankly, their concerns are perfectly valid and we should treat them as such. Our existence is super suspicious, and we should do everything within reason to reassure them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: March 03, 2020, 05:13:12 pm »

For some reason the way we're talking in this bolded action feels like Voltaire from EGS to me. Just a random thought I had.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 03, 2020, 05:20:57 pm »

No idea what EGS stands for, and isn't Voltaire a Frenchman who rigged gambling against the king or something to get lots of money? I am not a historian so please correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: March 03, 2020, 05:25:40 pm »

From the context ([historical name] from [acronym]), I assume it's a weeby thing.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 03, 2020, 05:27:46 pm »

Looked it up. Stands for "El Goonish Shive", apparently.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 03, 2020, 05:27:52 pm »

From the context ([historical name] from [acronym]), I assume it's a weeby thing.

The immortal Voltaire, from the webcomic El Goonish Shive. I have no idea what a weeby is, but I get the idea I should be feeling insulted right about now

EDIT: looked up "weeby" and I am insulted, yes indeed
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 05:31:42 pm by Eschar »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1041 on: March 03, 2020, 05:32:35 pm »

Nah, don't be, Egan is also massively weeby[citation needed]

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: March 03, 2020, 05:33:21 pm »

Lies and slander. <.<

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: March 04, 2020, 05:44:00 am »

+1 to introducing ourselves. Recommend we apologize for eavesdropping as well, it was unintentional.

Fair point. Let's revise like so:

"You know, it's not polite to speak about someone behind their back." Make an appearance: hands raised, friendly smile, keep our head down.

"Apologies, ladies and gents-- didn't intend to eavesdrop, but I just came in and I couldn't help but overhear. If I might put in my two cents?"

Speak our piece.

+1

+1 this seems well-rounded and non-threatening.

Frankly, their concerns are perfectly valid and we should treat them as such. Our existence is super suspicious, and we should do everything within reason to reassure them.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1044 on: March 05, 2020, 01:36:58 pm »

You begin speaking before you step from the darkness, so that when you finally emerge into the light of the table all eyes are on you. You have your hands raised and do your best to remain nonthreatening in appearance. You apologize for inadvertently listening in before explaining your views on the entire situation.  You explain that your desires and theirs coincide, that you have no issue with being kept in the dark about the organization or giving information to them unilaterally. You outline how you want to find more information about yourself as well, and will tell them when you find it. You even make note of the fact that the current government would likely kill or experiment upon you more than ally with you.  You think it is a pretty persuasive argument, maybe even more so because you honestly believe it.

The second man, who is older than the first and who clearly occupies some position of importance judging by how those at the table look to him, sighs.  He crosses his arms and stares at you for a long moment before speaking.

"Do you know about the Alibi Paradox? Its not something you'll find in any philosophy course or university, but its something that comes up a great deal in worlds such as ours.  To put it simply: The better the alibi, the more suspicious the person.  Though we like to consider ourselves a rational species, if you press the average man about the logic behind any particular actions they will often stumble over themselves. This is because, in truth, those actions are rarely driven by logic.  An innocent man, pressed about his whereabouts on a particular night at a particular time, probably won't remember or at the very least will have only a hazy and generally unhelpful response. But if you ask a killer, then they'll know exactly where they've been and who they were with.

Everything you have told us about this entire situation is perfectly reasonable. You have been an asset to us and provided useful information. You have followed our advice and killed our enemies. And you have until this point known nothing about our larger organization and seem perfectly happy working mostly alone and trying to find out about yourself.   It all fits together into an unassailable argument as to why we should extend our trust to you."

"And that," He says, pointing a finger at you, "Is why I am so suspicious."

Esme starts to speak but the man holds up his hand.

"I am sure that your comrade here could list many reasons why this entire situation is not perfect.  Your face, your lack of history, lack of identity, your occult composition so to speak.  All red flags, I'm sure.  Though they are, interestingly, the kind of red flags that draw initial worry but end up leading nowhere. We cannot say anything for sure about any of them; they are ephemeral and cannot be used to discredit you. The perfect sort of imperfections."

Esme looks strained and frustrated but stays quiet as the older man stands up. The others stand up with him, leaving Esme the only one sitting.

"But that is the paradox. You could, very well, be telling us the whole and honest truth. I could be nothing more than a paranoid old man looking a gift horse in the mouth."

He places the wide brimmed hat of priest atop his head and steps closer, placing a large hand on your shoulder.

"For now we will assume nothing and continue investigations on our own. To us you are gray and insubstantial thing drifting in the shadows, a being whose true shape has not yet coalesced. But with time, I'm sure the light of knowledge will shine down and reveal you for what you truly are."

He squeezes your shoulder meaningfully as he says this last part.

"Be well, my friend."

The old man and the other two step into the darkness and you hear their footsteps slowly fade until the front door of the library opens and they are gone.

Esme slumps forwards and places her head in her hands, hiding her eyes.

"Bastard." She mumbles, rubbing her face for a few moments before letting her arms fall to the table limply and glancing up at you.

"That could have gone better." She says tiredly, a dim and ironic smile on her lips. She doesn't seem to be angry or accusing you of anything...just exhausted.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1045 on: March 05, 2020, 05:41:42 pm »

"It could had gone worse?" offer with a smile. "I mean, that one looks like the sort of guy who'd suspect his shadow of being a spy."
After that:
"Thanks for supporting me. I hope I didn't cause too much trouble." add more seriously.
After that:
"Any word from the lab? Any indication that they might be coming after us?'
And after that:
"Did they have any insights about what we discovered? Or any suggestions about what we could look into next?"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: March 06, 2020, 03:37:08 am »

"It could had gone worse?" offer with a smile. "I mean, that one looks like the sort of guy who'd suspect his shadow of being a spy."
After that:
"Thanks for supporting me. I hope I didn't cause too much trouble." add more seriously.
After that:
And after that:
"Did they have any insights about what we discovered? Or any suggestions about what we could look into next?"

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: March 06, 2020, 06:38:09 am »

After that:
After that:
And after that:

+1
+1

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: March 08, 2020, 06:52:57 am »

After that:
After that:
And after that:

+1
+1

+1
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1049 on: March 09, 2020, 11:18:41 am »

After that:
After that:
And after that:

"It could had gone worse? I mean, that one looks like the sort of guy who'd suspect his shadow of being a spy."

"Maybe." She says, looking out into the dark in the general direction of the way he went. "He's paranoid but he's also an old spy. You don't get to be an old spy by being bad at your job. I don't agree with him but...I can't really fault him."

"Thanks for supporting me. I hope I didn't cause too much trouble."

"Hmm. I'm bringing you in and using you as an asset. Would be pretty foolish of me to do so if I didn't think you were reliable."

"Any word from the lab? Any indication that they might be coming after us?"

"No. Nothing on any of our channels to indicate you were found out. Might have been better if you were, but they could probably have hand waved that away too."

"Well." She sits back in her chair, "There's a lot to consider. They're trying to replicate Alexander's work for some reason, so it must have resulted in something they want. Something they want badly enough that they'd openly try to recreate the work of the 'Great Deceiver'. " She makes air quotes as she says the last part.  She scratches her head and thinks for a moment.

"So we both want to know more about you, We both want to find Alexander -for different reasons-, and we both want to overthrow this current government.  These are all rather high and mighty aspirations so lets focus on something more direct. I think our best option for what to do next is to try and find someone who knows what Alexander was doing in that lab just before the country turned on him.  Someone who might be willing to talk. One of his old co-workers, if they left any of them alive.  That skeleton of yours pointed out an article listing a few of them, right?  Should we try and track them down?"

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 94