Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblins and their leader  (Read 1915 times)

neutrino431

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins and their leader
« on: February 21, 2019, 03:25:33 pm »

Is there any way to take out that ONE guy (you know the guy) in charge of a goblin civ without losing much of your military? Every time I try to take out the dark tower, my military is ravaged and the leader is unaffected, even when the soldiers are legendary.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Goblins and their leader
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 05:20:21 pm »

go in with an adventurer and kill them that way?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 06:12:45 pm »

Yeah, death-by-adventurer is the sure way.
Coming up we might see hired assassins and even (should Toady put off the Big-Wait until next year), challenging the gobbos to a real field battle. Make sure to hire an elephant from the elves, they always seem to work in worldgen battles.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 07:48:24 pm »

I had a nearby goblin civ revolt against their leader and that leader killed 5000+ goblins. Sure, goblins are wimpy, but after seeing that, I suspect that 100 elite dwarfs might still fail.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 07:50:55 pm »

I'm about to try with 50, masterwork everything, first squad has candy weapons.

Will report back.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 02:14:46 pm »

I'm about to try with 50, masterwork everything, first squad has candy weapons.

Will report back.

So how did it go?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 04:41:15 pm »

Everyone died horribly because I had two kinds of demons with flying and webs and one type with a full-body necrotizing dust effect XD

FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 04:15:52 am »

Everyone died horribly because I had two kinds of demons with flying and webs and one type with a full-body necrotizing dust effect XD
You get all that info from the raid reports?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 01:16:50 pm »

You get all that info from the raid reports?

Wait. Wait no. No I have multiple demon/goblin slaying irons in the fire right now. My bad. Wrong thread.

Anyway they did all die. No matter how many troops I send, like 4 individual soldiers end up actually fighting and the rest apparently die or surrender immediately. The ones that fight somehow die to regular goblins. No idea how to crack a dark fortress like that militarily.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 02:16:37 pm »

In fortress mode I've had luck with digging out underneath a goblin tower, installing a column with a lever, and cutting a trench around the building. Bit of lag, but good results, and entertaining.

It's been a few versions, but that or leaving the pumps running to flood everything (include a switch outside of the flood plain so you can avoid flooding the world) should work.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 02:18:19 pm »

In fortress mode I've had luck with digging out underneath a goblin tower, installing a column with a lever, and cutting a trench around the building. Bit of lag, but good results, and entertaining.

It's been a few versions, but that or leaving the pumps running to flood everything (include a switch outside of the flood plain so you can avoid flooding the world) should work.

Did not think about embark anywhere options.

Good call.

I'd love to find one that does not involve DF-Hacking my way to victory though.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 08:09:38 pm »

I think one issue, is that the ambusher skill actually affects the results a lot more than the training of the dwarves. Effectively, if you can find a good dwarf to be a general, then they would overcome the threat far more easily than having a large number of highly trained dwarves with great armour.

This might be subject to change in a new version.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 12:36:00 pm »

Military Tactics also affects this. I've had descriptions where my dwarves win that roll and start out in an advantageous position and still kill not a single goblin.

To be clear in my current situation there are TEN goblins to my 50 supersolider dwarves. Most of the time the overlord never even joins the battle.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 12:05:42 pm »

Military Tactics also affects this. I've had descriptions where my dwarves win that roll and start out in an advantageous position and still kill not a single goblin.

To be clear in my current situation there are TEN goblins to my 50 supersolider dwarves. Most of the time the overlord never even joins the battle.

This, the battle isn't rolled like a normal one. I think there's a plan to rewrite this soon (as in before the long wait and steam releases), but for now the best way to deal with the situation is have an adventurer kill the goblin general or overlord.

According to some sources I saw (wiki I think) this will cause the tide to turn against the goblins very quickly.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 05:20:58 pm »

I'm calling this a bug. It seems that asking them to surrender will result in instant capitulation, whereupon the master of the place is simply executed.

I feel like if that's the case I should be able to defeat them militarily as well.
Pages: [1] 2