Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beauty and FPS death: The Ultimate Waterfall Embark.  (Read 6096 times)

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beauty and FPS death: The Ultimate Waterfall Embark.
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:45:13 pm »

What would you do with a gargantuan river that stetches from the north of the island world to the south and near the end turns into an epic 5 z-level waterfall? Now is your chance to fulfill your wildest waterfall embark dreams and put your CPU to the test.

Behold it in all its majesty!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

World seed

Directions to site

I was debating if this was worthy of its own thread, but I felt that this was just too cool not to share.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Beauty and FPS death: The Ultimate Waterfall Embark.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 09:31:02 pm »

Impressiveness aside (although it definitely is), you raise a valid question.  What is a good use of such a site?  A standard waterfall entrance just doesn't seem sufficient here.  It's the width that is throwing me off; close to a third of the map.

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 09:42:25 pm »

That's what I thought too, seems a waste to spend it on an entrance only. I was thinking a multi z-level tall grand dining room, make the whole waterfall wall fortifications so that the mist plays in whole 3d space. Then put stairs up from the bottom and make winding pathways with periodic tables and chairs for seating through the area that gets the most mist. Build vertically in other words, shame it's only 5 z-levels.

And yeah, this is by far the largest river I've ever seen. The fact that I found this waterfall in it is just amazing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:46:10 pm by trib »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:54:46 pm »

Very nice, quickly tried (noticed my wagon started on a very dangerous location) and i am wondering if this river can freeze ?
Would make it easier to test blocking it for some dam operation that would be probably a pain to make without freezing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:20:32 pm by Robsoie »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 01:59:06 am »

It is possible to make larger rivers, as per a PSV world..

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 01:38:32 pm »

I'd consider trying to build a large dam with several layers of water wheels inside. Maybe something like this:
Quote from: Front view
|~~~~~~~~~~~~
|═══|═══|═══|
|~~~|~~~|~~~|
|═══|═══|═══|
|~~≈|~~≈|~~≈|

≈ represents water exiting towards viewer.
Quote from: Top view
.~~~~~~~~~~~~
.~~▼~~~▼~~~▼~  <-- Intake
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒  <-- Dam edge barrier
.............  <-- Bottom of falls 5z down
Not quite sure how river pressure works. Is it sufficient to have enough exit tiles at the edge of the map, or do we need enough paths to get it there? Might need to have spillways on the top of the dam for excess water to run over. There's also the question of if the water wheels will actually run in this setup.

I'm taking a break from DF until the big wait, though.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:32:27 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 01:40:56 pm »

Rivers do not overflow. You can just build your dam and the river will stop nice and tidy.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 01:43:37 pm »

Rivers do not overflow. You can just build your dam and the river will stop nice and tidy.
Along with your FPS, from what I've heard, if you don't give an outlet.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 04:03:27 pm »

This reminded me of an old Megaproject, might be inspirational; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142793.msg5598012#msg5598012

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 04:59:18 pm »

Good news, the river is freezing when it's cold

Bad news, lazy dwarves weren't willing much to work in my project, can't believe the only dwarf that started work survived when the river became unfrozen, he managed to grab and climb the canyon walls.
Will have to wait once my fortress is much more populated.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 05:03:47 pm by Robsoie »

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 06:48:32 pm »

I have a special kind of madness.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 09:49:34 am »

Oof... this is very tempting... I can definitely see great potential here.

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 05:28:05 pm »

This is what I ended up with trying to utilize the waterfall as much as possible. There's still some room to grow there too.

Here's the entrance, just a wood bridge over the river with a small secondary meeting hall so the dwarves don't have to run all the way down. Also a small arena in the meeting hall with bridges that can be used to flood/wash the arena.

Just the arena and some dead panda folk ontop of my barracks.

Barracks and a little bit of the hospital. Fortifications all the way along the waterfall and a well plus prison access.

Temple area, all this is gold by the way. Also, wagon entry from the main rampway. Open area looking down on library and tavern. The most opulent prison I've ever made and count's bedroom.

Count's dining and office, royal bedroom. Library and tavern seating along the waterfall to maximize misting.

Bottom floor, throne room and royal dining. Tavern and tavern housing plus mayor's and captain of the guard's rooms up top. Tavern seating again along the waterfall for misting plus it leaves a nice open area for dancing.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 05:46:28 pm »

It's worth noting that with raw dfhack or PatrickLundell's embark editor tool, this is one of the easiest things to add to any embark you'd like. Not as cool as finding a natural one, and the biggest you can go is 63-64 across, since a river is a property of a single embark tile.

I like to abuse making circular rivers to make a natural moat around an in-embark island, or otherwise naturally partition an embark into areas. That will trigger only the edges pathable from your wagon to be valid caravan spawns, if you want to simplify that question.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 10:34:15 pm »

[...]

Very nice use of the waterfall !
Pages: [1] 2