Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35

Author Topic: Sand & Souls - Let There Be Turns  (Read 60627 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sand & Souls - World Creation RTD
« Reply #285 on: March 30, 2019, 02:26:44 pm »

"You better be careful with my deers bird, anything happens to them I'll kick your ass."
Tell the deer men what corn and beans are good for before the bird takes them, then I shall try to make yeast and finish my vodka making.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #286 on: March 30, 2019, 03:14:51 pm »

Ashe stashes her pile of Brass Buzzard feathers underwater, arranging them in various shapes. Then heads to the desert to collect more!
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 30, 2019, 08:19:44 pm »

Hynsyr accepts their decision and immediately bestows the first civil positions upon the Seven. Now that a course of action is decided Hynsyr decides to work with Prismatics in setting up the new Government. Creating more civil servants to work under the Prismatics, founding the order of warrior-priest, and generally ensuring that the new government can run smoothly with or without Hynsyr there to directly lead them.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 30, 2019, 09:47:49 pm »

Have the research team continue their efforts on the project, then send the rest of the Ironwinged out to negotiate the reconstruction of the broken section, extracting  pacts of loyalty and alliance in exchange.

It seems the Merchants will have to test their mettle earlier than expected.

The Merchant of the North is to dart amongst the falling Spiderlings, and offer the Contract of the Winged to  those who accept loyalty.
The Merchant of the South is to join the fight against the fragments and the Sand, and hopefully lead the group to victory.
The Merchant of the East is to fetch  the Deer-men from the Glass Tower, and bring them to the  Wetlands, in preparation for their debt repayment.

Finally, the Merchant of the West is to fetch fine silks, Tribute Tokens, and an honor guard of Winged, and search for the nearest Shardform settlement. Once found, they are to begin converting them to the ways of Bargain.

((While making a horde of minions is an excellent move, strategically, I'm going to have trouble writing turns for all of them. For now we'll just keep things short and snappy. EDIT: Apparently not. Oh well.))

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

The Ironwinged weavers and their hired help continue working on a more efficient photosynthesis process. Using magic to improve upon the existing chemical process isn't difficult, so their research mostly centers around ways to distribute the enhancement to large numbers of Spiderlings at once. Their solution is to make the Weavings replicate themselves, which works well up until an experimental version escapes containment and spreads through the Silken Nest. Infected Spiderlings can survive on less starlight, but being exposed to too much at once causes their bodies to char.

Most of the falling Spiderlings were at the epicenter of the battle, and were hurt too severely by friendly fire or Ira's Nothing-breath to be saved. The Merchant of the North does find a few survivors amongst the dead and the dying, but the group which glides to the Silken Nest is much smaller than Gral would have liked.

The Merchant of the East flies to the tower, where it finds the Dr. Bob and the Deer-Men standing around a garden. Its curiosity is piqued enough that it listens in, and learns about the uses of corn and bean plants along with the mortals. When the lesson has finished it leads them across the moat and out to the center of the Wetlands.

The Merchant of the West finds a small herd of Shardforms wandering at near an ooze colony, but they aren't interested in any of the goods that Gral sent for them. They are also incapable of comprehending speech, much less the intricacies of buying and selling. When Ironwinged appear overhead their primary response is to cluster together and make clacking sounds.

Have ordinary spiderlings retreat, focus all efforts on killing Ira with mix of weavers light spells, sentinels fireballs and primelings acid

I did not want this to happen, but you don't leave me any other choice
"I tire of this, if you agree to punish but not kill awake I'll leave."

If Nazi doesn't agree coil around him to restrain him while blasting nothingness at the small fry's

((Ira- I'm assuming you mean to coil around Nazir, since Awake is already restrained pretty thoroughly.))

Ira: 3+1 vs Order: 3 & Sentinels: 6 & Primelings: 2 & Nazir: 4

Ira whips her tail back up to the web and hooks it around Nazir, but the other primordial still has relatively solid footing. Instead of dragging the spider down with her, they both hang in the air hundreds of feet above the ground. The world-eater pulls her head upwards and maneuvers around Awake's silk cocoon, which is still gripped in one of her coils, so that she can breathe more Null-gas at the Spiderlings who are still holding on. It billows outwards in an uncontrolled cloud and meets compressed fireballs from the sentinels, which pushes it back in Ira's general direction. It doesn't harm the sandworm herself, but it does eat away at Nazir, the Awake's bindings, and crucially, the strand of silk keeping everyone aloft. Nazir loses his footing and all three tumble, this time through Nothingness-suffused air.

((I really wanted to help, but I got now something more intresting, so, sorry Nazir))
"If you help me stop this fighting we will consider the possibilities"
Stop the fighting between the Buzzards and dustwalkers to the Fragments.

AJAMA: 2 & Apollyon: 4
Fragments: 5 vs Merchant: 5 & Buzzards: 2 vs Sand: 3

AJAMA politely tells everyone to stop killing each other, but its voice is overwhelmed by the sounds of the battle. It responds by amplifying its voice and screaming at the nearest combatants, but they don't seem to care much about the black sphere's disapproval. Some of the Dustwalker martial artists pause and look around in confusion, but they all resume fighting when a giant steel bird appears overhead.

Apollyon doesn't say anything, but its focus drifts from the conversation for a moment, and the other Fragments abruptly start to retreat. They are still being attacked by both the sand and the bone fortress troops, but they do their best to avoid retaliating. That directive becomes more complicated when the metal vulture leads the Buzzards in an attack from the air, forcing Fragments to defend themselves or be torn apart. There are casualties on both sides.

"You better be careful with my deers bird, anything happens to them I'll kick your ass."
Tell the deer men what corn and beans are good for before the bird takes them, then I shall try to make yeast and finish my vodka making.

A steel-feathered vulture that looks like a smaller version of Gral lands at the base of the tower. It informs the Deer-Men that it will be collecting their debt, and says that they should follow it into the Wetlands. Before they depart, Dr. Bob teaches them how to prepare corn and beans, a process which conveniently also provides them with meals for the journey. The Merchant looks mildly intrigued by his lecture, but when he finishes it only flaps its wings and leads its charges away.

Once they've left, Bob returns to his laboratory. He smashes a glass brick against the floor until it has been reduced to fragments, and then dust. He fragments the dust further, until it is so small that individual grains could only be seen with a microscope, and then shovels the pile into a bowl on one of the tables. The deer-headed primordial concentrates on it until the dust dissolves into liquid, which bubbles sporadically. It doesn't look much like yeast, but Dr. Bob pours it into his still anyway.

A curl of smoke comes from the mixture that he's been fermenting, which turns from a cloudy yellow liquid to a dull, entirely uniform red. It smells like alcohol, but Dr. Bob is fairly certain that it isn't vodka.

Ashe stashes her pile of Brass Buzzard feathers underwater, arranging them in various shapes. Then heads to the desert to collect more!

Ashe picks up her stash of feathers and dives into a pool, so that she can place them in patterns on the lakebed. She makes several large triangles, a circle around nearly the entire body of water, and a fractal-shape that looks a bit like a star before using up all of the feathers. Now that they're safely filed away, the Collector swims back up to the surface and makes a note of the spot, so that she can find it again later. Then she follows the trail of brass feathers out into the desert.

The air outside the wetlands is much drier, and there isn't so much as a trickle of water on the ground or a droplet in the air. Ashe feels a bit like a fish out of water, since she's been in the wetlands for her entire conscious existence, but dry ground is still bearable. If nothing else, she's constantly adding to her supply of feathers, and they seem to be leading her to something truly interesting. The Buzzards are actually flying overhead, in the wake of a larger, stronger bird with steel feathers.

They dive downwards, towards a group of incorporeal black wisps and oozes-creatures that look more like holes in existence than real matter. Some jet directly past Ashe, coming so close that they nearly cut her with their talons.

Hynsyr accepts their decision and immediately bestows the first civil positions upon the Seven. Now that a course of action is decided Hynsyr decides to work with Prismatics in setting up the new Government. Creating more civil servants to work under the Prismatics, founding the order of warrior-priest, and generally ensuring that the new government can run smoothly with or without Hynsyr there to directly lead them.

Hynsyr: 4 & Prismatics: 4

Hynsyr leads the seven Prismatics back into the city proper, where he appoints each of them a minister of the Spires. The seven disperse to find other trustworthy Lightfolk, so that they can also be granted offices or initiated as warpriests. As the government swells in size, they claim a few spires in the center of the city to use as administrative hubs. The tower closest to the center of the city becomes the Capitol building. The warpriests use their creation magic to raise barracks near Einyar and the Temple of Yig, so that they are close enough to form defensive perimeters in an emergency. Patrols are also sent out into the desert and stationed on the walls.

While everyone but the Prismatics themselves are inexperienced, the city continues to run smoothly. For the time being, most government duties involve planning for the future and settling disputes, both tasks which the populace has already been dealing with. They'll have time to get accustomed to their positions before any major interventions become necessary.

Spoiler: Souls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 09:50:14 pm by Whisperling »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2019, 02:35:41 am »

Create from the goo I and Apollyon have a wall to separate the fragments from the others.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2019, 05:27:10 am »

"Aw shit, I screw something up, vodka's not supposed to be red, its supposed to be clear."
Put the red alcohol stuff to the side for now, and try to make yeast again then try to vodka again.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

MrThrowaway

• Bay Watcher
  • The Trashman
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 31, 2019, 03:54:16 pm »

Run away with Awake, the spiders will probably have trouble dealing with the air
el basurero

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 31, 2019, 04:26:20 pm »

Spit acid at Ira

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 31, 2019, 09:08:30 pm »

Have North work to cure this infection, adapting it to a more benign strain, with the assistance of the research team.

Have South withdraw from fighting the fragments, and focus all attention on the sand, creating a "kill zone" that will slowly be drawn forward.

Have West and the honor guard attempt to impress them with simple Bargain tricks, and then awaken the most clever of them to teach them the ways of the Bargain.

East, and the Ironwinged builders, are to work with the deer-men on creating the Life Machine: a Bargain engine that converts the surrounding sand into loamy, aerable land.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2019, 06:42:51 pm »

Create from the goo I and Apollyon have a wall to separate the fragments from the others.

AJAMA and Apollyon draw various types of ooze from their surroundings, and combine everything into one massive puddle. The goop hisses as it is forced together, a reaction which grows louder and louder as Black Ooze and Nothing-Ooze merge with each other. The two black spheres continue their project, but when they extend their mental feelers into the ooze-pile they realize something is horribly wrong. Opposite types of ooze are canceling each other out like matter and antimatter, releasing massive quantities of energy.

Three seconds later, the ooze-wall blows up. A column of nuclear fire rises into the sky as AJAMA, Apollyon, the Fragments, various sand-psuedopods, the Dustwalkers, the Buzzards, one Merchant, the Bone Fortress, and the Three-Headed Worm are all vaporized in one fell swoop. A crater and millions of tons of slag serve as their gravestones.

"Aw shit, I screw something up, vodka's not supposed to be red, its supposed to be clear."
Put the red alcohol stuff to the side for now, and try to make yeast again then try to vodka again.

Dr. Bob grinds up another brick of glass, but this time he doesn't bother to crush it into fine dust. Instead he just picks it up and animates it as-is, complete with the pointy bits and sharp edges that cut into his hands. The larger pieces turn into macroorganisms instead of microorganisms, but despite the size differential they seem to grow at an even faster rate than real yeast cells. A wave of yeasty death rises from the bowl like bread, and then like a geyser, and then like a volcanic eruption of cytoplasm and organelles after the cells have been crushed under their own weight. Dr. Bob is drowned within the first few minutes. The yeast then goes on to fill the tower and expand across the wetlands, which become a mountain of organic molecules.

Run away with Awake, the spiders will probably have trouble dealing with the air
Spit acid at Ira

1v1

Ira slithers as if she was going to run away, and for a moment she actually seems to be successful. Then she realizes she's being supported by empty air, looks towards the TV screen in the fourth wall, and looks down. The sky suddenly fails to support her weight, and she starts falling hundreds and then thousands of feet to the ground below. Both she and Awake hit the ground at terminal velocity, but they don't have much time to let the situation sink in before they turn into flat smears on the ground.

Nazir secretes a new, more potent kind of acid to spit at Ira, only to find that he isn't actually immune to its effects. Instead of going through the usual piping, in burns through the spider's acid glands, tears through various other organs, chars major arteries, and pools in the bottom of his carapace, the only part of his body resistant to dissolution. He's too weak to do anything about the blood loss that kills him ten minutes later.

Have North work to cure this infection, adapting it to a more benign strain, with the assistance of the research team.

Have South withdraw from fighting the fragments, and focus all attention on the sand, creating a "kill zone" that will slowly be drawn forward.

Have West and the honor guard attempt to impress them with simple Bargain tricks, and then awaken the most clever of them to teach them the ways of the Bargain.

East, and the Ironwinged builders, are to work with the deer-men on creating the Life Machine: a Bargain engine that converts the surrounding sand into loamy, aerable land.

North: 1 & Researchers: 1
South: 1 & Buzzards: 1 & Dustwalkers: 1
West: 1
East: 1 & Ironwinged: 1 & Deer-Men: 1+1

The Merchant of the North works with the research team to make the infection more benign. They repeatedly try and fail to revise the original modifications with more layers of aetheric weaving, causing the infection to build up progressively more layers of disease resistance. They also fail to quarantine the test subjects they're experimenting with, which soon causes them to catch the disease themselves. It becomes increasingly virulent, spreading through the Silken Nest and then the entire population of the web.

This quickly proves disastrous. An antimatter explosion near the bone fortress lights up the entire sky, producing far too much light for any of the Spiderlings to absorb. The photosynthetic alteration captures the energy anyway, causing everyone on the great web to combust in a giant, world-devouring ball of fire.

Gral's forces near the Bone Fortress are annihilated by the explosion itself, but the West and East Merchants are still alive. At least until the Merchant of the West accidentally commits a faux pas, angering the Shardforms and prompting them to annihilate each other in a climactic battle that we'll mostly skip for the sake of brevity.

The life machine turns out to be a death machine instead. All other life in the universe is instantly destroyed.

-----------------------
-----------------------

Spoiler: APRIL FOOLS (click to show/hide)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 01, 2019, 08:55:23 pm »

AJAMA: 1 & Apollyon: 4
Fragments: 4 vs Sand: 1

AJAMA hurls its two ooze-moons to the ground, where they splash across the ground and begin to grow. Noise from the battlefield stunts the silence-consuming strain, but the original sand ooze expands at a frightening pace. At first it is merely a small pool in front of AJAMA, but it grows to encompass a wide swathe of land, including the area where Fragment-Oozes were previously standing. They flounder around in the black lake until Apollyon conjures up a wave of Nothing-tinged ooze, sweeps up the excess debris, and forms gelatinous wall between the Fragments and the Bone Fortress army.

Even though the Dustwalkers can't scale the wall, and the metal-birds retreat rather than flying over it, the sand is still in a position to attack from below. It grows more appendages to hack at the fragments, but now that they aren't being pressed on two fronts they dispose of its pseudopods with ease.

Spoiler: Roll and GM Commentary (click to show/hide)

Dr. Bob takes another few chunks of glass off of a nearby table and turns them over in his hands to get a feel for them. They're solid, but small enough to fit in his hands, which makes it easy to manually reshape them into something else. Dr. Bob hangs them in the air, spins them around, and molds them in much the same way that a potter would use to create a vase on a wheel. The pieces taper into a long, thin stem while he is working, but the top balloons outwards a minute or two before the project is complete.

The doctor only realizes that he's created mushrooms instead of yeast when the fungi stop spinning. He reaches to pluck them out of the air, but by that time it is too late to prevent them from falling to the ground, where they somehow root in the glass of the tower itself. Their caps undulate wildly, releasing clouds of orange spores into the air.

Spit acid at Ira

Ira: 6 / Nazir: 4
Ira: 4 v Nazir: 3

When the two primordials realize that they are falling through the air, they both immediately brace for landing. Ira coils herself around Awake and pulls as tight as she can, in hopes that the silk and the soft tissues of her body will effectively weather the explosion. Nazir spits thin strands of silk up at the Web to slow its fall. Neither strategy is entirely successful, but a collision with the sand doesn't hurt either of them too badly. Where the Spiderlings falling with them are mostly dead or dying, Nazir and Ira escape with little more than bruises.

Ira gets up first, perhaps because the Nothingness in her blood is numbing her to the pain. She crawls away as quickly as she can, with Awake in tow, but her movement isn't nearly fast enough to escape from Nazir. The Weaver is too dazed by the fall to give chase, but it has enough presence of mind to secrete acid and spray it at Ira's back as she runs. The stream falls just short of her midsection, but it is so diffuse by the time it reaches her that she is still hit by a cloud of droplets. Blotchy acid burns form on the sandworm's back.

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

The Merchant of the North directs the research team to create a cure for the infection, specifically by warping it into a less destructive version of the same enchantment. They develop another version of the magic which can self-regulate its energy absorption, which prevents it from burning its host when light levels are too high. The changes come at some loss to efficiency, since they inherently limit the amount of sustenance that can be extracted at once, but the enchantment is still a massive improvement over Spiderlings' natural abilities.

Using another of the Merchants as a proxy, Gral orders his Buzzards to leave the Fragments alone. South has enough foresight to request that the Dustwalkers withdraw as well, allowing the Bone Fortress to focus the entirety of its efforts on the sand. While it's impossible to see what the Fragments are doing after AJAMA and Apollyon raise a wall of ooze, someone else must be giving the sand a hard time. It seems distracted when the Buzzards engage it, enough so that it is beaten back even once a conflicting set of orders causes discord in the ranks.

The Ironwinged weavers have some idea of how to go about building a magical machine, but Gral's specifications leave the Deer-Men and the Merchant of the East scratching their heads. Even though everyone applies themselves to the project wholeheartedly, there are a series of industrial accidents and minor failures that can usually be traced back to someone who didn't know what they were doing. That causes the mechanical portion of the device to work incorrectly, changing the machine's function. Instead of channeling energy from the spellwork woven by the Ironweavers, it rips power from one area, rendering the land barren, and uses it to make another place fertile.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 09:04:46 pm by Whisperling »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2019, 05:03:01 am »

"Shit I did something wrong again, I'm gonna give up for a bit and come back to this later."
Smash the mushrooms with a block, then burn whats left of them just in case their poisonous, then try to make ink.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 02, 2019, 06:13:23 am »

Get back to the web, work with spiderlings on fixing damage

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2019, 08:55:26 am »

"hmm, how you commanded on the rest of the fragmentss? And why were you fighting the dustwalkers anyway?"
Try learn on what the fragments are and what they do now that the sand left them
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

MrThrowaway

• Bay Watcher
  • The Trashman
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 02, 2019, 04:29:36 pm »

Drop off Awake in a relatively safe place and then get started on the canal Gral mentioned earlier
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 07:41:21 pm by MrThrowaway »
el basurero
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35