Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35

Author Topic: Sand & Souls - Let There Be Turns  (Read 60613 times)

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sand & Souls - World Creation RTD
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2019, 12:59:17 pm »

Have the Winged start producing goods with  their metal-silk, and begin  trading them at the Scarred market, both potentially making a profit and smoothing over relations. The Buzzards are to rest and regroup, in preparation for finding a home closer to the earth.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:41:49 pm by WyrdByrd »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2019, 01:21:19 pm »

"Do you have reasons why my children should let live creation making demons threatening them?
Why should not they just unweave your spirit into unconnected strands?"

"It is typical of a Primordial to react with threats of violence to anything unknown. You have nothing to fear from peace, Weaver."

"Really? How fascinating. Yet, you make no mention of what you would do with such a power. Forgive my curiosity, but, not to place too fine a point, it is likely that the one who made the sands this way would claim such actions bring 'harmony' to the world."

"I... do not remember doing such a thing. My soul is a mere fragment, a descendant of the Empty Primordial. My essence is kin to that being, but I exist separately. The same is surely also true of this world's many arachnids? Their souls are woven from the same fabric as their creator. I would not hold a primordial's children responsible for the actions of their progenitor.

I promise, I will use whatever power I gain for the betterment of all peoples. I will do whatever it takes to create peace. Peace and safety for sand, obsidian, chiten, light, brass, and whatever other beings there may be.
If the idea of peace between this world's peoples doesn't brighten your soul, strike me down and let the world never find justice."

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2019, 02:43:14 pm »

Quote from: Awakened's assertions
"I... do not remember doing such a thing. My soul is a mere fragment, a descendant of the Empty Primordial. My essence is kin to that being, but I exist separately. The same is surely also true of this world's many arachnids? Their souls are woven from the same fabric as their creator. I would not hold a primordial's children responsible for the actions of their progenitor.

I promise, I will use whatever power I gain for the betterment of all peoples. I will do whatever it takes to create peace. Peace and safety for sand, obsidian, chiten, light, brass, and whatever other beings there may be.
If the idea of peace between this world's peoples doesn't brighten your soul, strike me down and let the world never find justice."
" I never claimed you were responsible for the actions of the Empty, merely that an individual,  driven by such a mindset, may attempt to imitate them. Fortunately, you don't seem like the type to do so.  In fact, I'm rather impressed by your motivations.  So much so that I'd like to offer you a proposal.
I will fly you to the Smelter's Grave,  and make no efforts to  take your gains upon your arrival. Further, I will encourage the Buzzards to  tolerate  your efforts, though I can make no guarantees. After all, just as one cannot hold a primordial's children responsible for their creator's actions, so must the created be separated from their sire.  In exchange, all required of you is a statement of good faith: you will not attempt to harm or work against those of the sky for any unjust reason. I'd imagine that would make those of the Web far more comfortable  with your continued presence. What do you say?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2019, 03:33:30 pm »

"I believe that such is a fair deal, Contractor. However, I do detect an ambiguity in your wording, as justice is sadly a poorly defined concept. I will not threaten, wage war against, or combat the people of the Great Web, but I will retain my right to defend myself and any who follow me. I will fight only in defense, and only against those who are dishonorable enough to threaten me first.
And of course, my promise will not prevent me from assisting you in some time of need, Contractor.

Also, I will request that in addition to transporting me, you will vouch to the inhabitants of the Great Web my good intentions. Even a gesture of good faith does no good if nobody hears about it, correct?"

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2019, 04:21:42 pm »

"I believe that such is a fair deal, Contractor. However, I do detect an ambiguity in your wording, as justice is sadly a poorly defined concept. I will not threaten, wage war against, or combat the people of the Great Web, but I will retain my right to defend myself and any who follow me. I will fight only in defense, and only against those who are dishonorable enough to threaten me first.
And of course, my promise will not prevent me from assisting you in some time of need, Contractor.

Also, I will request that in addition to transporting me, you will vouch to the inhabitants of the Great Web my good intentions. Even a gesture of good faith does no good if nobody hears about it, correct?"
"Very true, though if it's any consolation, we've got more than a few witnesses to this arrangement. So long as this  pledge extends to those of the Silken Nest as well, I think we've reached an agreement."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2019, 04:24:54 pm »

"I agree to your contract, then."

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2019, 04:35:49 pm »

With negotiations thus concluded, Gral binds the  contract with Bargain, and then takes the mortal to the Smelter's Grave.

MrThrowaway

• Bay Watcher
  • The Trashman
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2019, 04:57:58 pm »

Ira realizes that eating sand will not help her destroy the sand as a whole and walks away from the fragments of nothingness. She searches the sands for a power source to empower herself with.
el basurero

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2019, 12:36:14 am »

Hynsyr accepts the flower tribute and makes his pleasure at the offering known.

Hynsyr shall now watch to see what his children will do with their new artifacts and more advanced magic.

Lightfolk: 5 v 5

The supplicant smiles and retreats back to the crowd, which soon begins to disperse as Lightfolk return to work. Hynsyr's creations waste no time in putting their abilities to use. The ramshackle buildings they first constructed are replaced by new spires, made from wood, glass, stone, and metal. Each material is made of faint golden light, which casts a soft glow over the entire city. This attracts a small population of Spiderlings, who nourish themselves by basking in the radiance.

Other Lightfolk venture out into the desert. Some bring back strange marvels, like sheets of glass and vials of living water, but a few never return. When two of the Prismatics investigate, they uncover two entirely different problems: a nearby bog that has been tainted with poison, and a small army of demons hidden in sand dunes around the city.

Awake chuckles a little at the spiderlings' waving display, and waves back.
"Hello, friends! I mean you no harm. The Primordials bring our two kinds into conflict, but I am sure that there is some way for us all to live in harmony, with each other and with the world.
I seek the grave of the smelter Gyaweft. I believe that a relic of that deceased Primordial lay there, its potential still waiting to be harnesses. Yes, even by mere mortals such as you or I. Would any of you wish to follow me on my journey? I cannot promise that my quest will bear fruit, but if it does surely you will stand to benefit as well, if you come along."

Diplomacy.
With negotiations thus concluded, Gral binds the  contract with Bargain, and then takes the mortal to the Smelter's Grave.

Awake: 5

The patrol stands down. They seemed unnerved by Awake in spite of his speech, but are reassured when he doesn't begin to slaughter them all. His brief talk with Nazir and Gral, also helps, primarily because Awake mentions the possibility of world peace. That stops the Spiderlings in their tracks, as they imagine world where they don't need to battle the sand for food or push other Spiderlings off an enormous web.

Meanwhile, the Awake brokers a deal with Gral, who swoops to the ground and seizes the Shadform in its talons. The Dustwalkers remain behind, citing a fear of burning holes in the ground, but they tentatively wish him luck in his travels. They stare upwards as the steel vulture carries him away, and to the rim of the glass crater.

Gral ends up circling the Smelter's grave, which is currently enveloped in an inferno. Landing is made more complicated by tongues of flame, which threaten to knock the Contractor out of the air, but Awake should be able to get closer on foot if he's dropped farther out. This close to Gyaweft's deathbed, fire and heat are the only real dangers.

Have the Winged start producing goods with  their metal-silk, and begin  trading them at the Scarred market, both potentially making a profit and smoothing over relations. The Buzzards are to rest and regroup, in preparation for future actions.

Winged: 4

The Winged Spiderlings are fascinated by their new ability. Metal is far sturdier than webbing, and by using it they are able to create tools and armaments the likes of which they have never seen before. A variety of new wonders go on sale when they set up shop in the market: metal rods, hammers far more dense than any made of silk, a variety of knives, and even rudimentary armor made by weaving a steel cocoon. The creations are somewhat lackluster by Gral's own standards, but his servants will learn more about metalworking as they practice. In the meantime, Scarred Spiderlings still can't seem to get their hands on enough metal equipment. The Winged accumulate some goodwill by selling it for a relatively low price.

Shrink the layer of ooze on the darkness, try to solidify it by pressure.

AJAMA uses their control of the black ooze to push the sphere's boundaries inwards and compress the darkness inside. Billowing clouds of negative illumination are forced together, becoming denser and more solid as they are pressed into a smaller and smaller volume of space. The reaction releases heat, which boils away the surrounding layer of ooze. A sphere of pure, solidified darkness is left behind, like a pearl in the center of an oyster. It falls out of AJAMA's grasp and drifts to the ground, light as a feather.

It is impossible to sense anything inside the orb, and any light which shines through it is instantly nullified. The darkness inside it is complete, although by necessity it is confined to a relatively small space.

"That's a fancy robot you guys made way cooler than the thing I made is, also we're gonna be making a vehicle and hopefully it'll go better than last time."
Use some of the glass to make a bus, have the deer men help and the glass robot if it can.

Deer-Men: 3+1 , Dr. Bob: 5 , Automaton: 2

One of the Deer-Men bows his head.

"Thank you, Doctor. As always, we are at your disposal."

He organizes his fellows into groups and sets them to work on chunks of glass. These are rapidly converted into wheels, axles, and the beginning of a chassis, all with incredibly precise dimensions. If Dr. Bob hadn't seen the parts crafted with his own eyes, he would have assumed that they were conjured by another primordial or made by machines. Which may not be very faar from the truth, given that the robot is carrying up another load of glass blocks. It deposits them on the floor in the center of the chamber, so that the teams can restock and get back to work.

When the outer frame of the bus has been completed, Bob's allies gather around a table and scratch engine blueprints into the glass. While they argue about whether to power it with springs or combustion, the doctor decides to take a stab at the problem himself. He sits on the ground and fits together several glass odds and ends, occasionally in ways that defy conventional geometry. The ultimate result of this work is a continuously-rotating disk that can be slotted into the bus's engine chamber, allowing it to run on perpetual motion. The Deer-Men are intrigued, but can't come up with any explanation better than "primordial shenanigans."

Create 10 loyal only to me  fabulous spider demigods to lead and protect spiderkind, they would be weaved into existance to make them naturally attuned to weaving, their skin would be covered by constantly shifting weaving patterns distracting their foes and repelling magic aimed at them. They will have poisonous acidic spit and shoot webs harder then steel. Attract most brilliant weavers to this weaving project.
This world is full of perils, time to give you my final and greatest gift before I can abandon you to your own devices

Nazir: 2 , Weavers: 5

Nazir carries a few of the most powerful and skilled Aetherweavers to its nest at the top of the Web. There, the primordial reveals that he will leave the Spiderlings to decide their own fates, and describes on last, glorious gift that he will bestow upon them before he goes. The Weavers, who have never created so much as a single living creature before, are well out of their depth when it comes to birthing demigods, but they agree to help their creator to the best of their abilities. Those who are not yet ancestors prepare for the ritual by undergoing the transformation, so that they can bring more mystical power to bear.

Nazir begins the Weaving by gathering up vast strands of Aether, as thick and strong as the physical silk of the Great web. He braids them into ten distinct patterns, each of which coalesces into the shape of a giant spider. The disciples weave smaller threads into the hollow places of this structure, forming minute patterns which make up the Demigods' muscles, bones, and organs. They continue even when Nazir itself stumbles, and do their best to account for the great spiders' mistakes. The entire working is on the verge of collapse, but the Ancestors preserve it by filling holes with their own latticework.

When the task is complete, ten spider demigods crawl out into the physical world. They are alive, but weaker than Nazir intended, thin in places where their weaves should have held strong. The mortals have done the best they could, but even the greatest among them had difficulty compensating for the loss of Nazir's power.

Ira realizes that eating sand will not help her destroy the sand as a whole and walks away from the fragments of nothingness. She searches the sands for a power source to empower herself with.

4 , 1

Ira turns from Fragments and tunnels away so quickly that they cannot pursue her. There is too much sand in the world to fit in her stomach, and doing battle with its appendages is meaningless. There is always the infinite mass below her, which can give birth to more limbs and monsters than she will ever be able to eat. Instead she tunnels from one end of the world to the other, searching for something that will grant her the power to hurt her enemy in a more permanent way.

She finds it deep beneath the surface of the earth, as the ground itself does its best to beat her back. She tunnels through it, to the something buried so thoroughly that the sandworm can only barely sense it. Demons the size of flies spring into being to stab her, and black mist gushes from the sand itself, but Ira cannot be stopped.

The thing below her is a non-thing, with a heartbeat that doesn't shake the World-Eater's bones.

Spoiler: Souls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World (click to show/hide)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2019, 11:00:47 am »

Seems, that this gift was not enough to have dustwalkers liberated from oppression of sand demons, sand is yet to be conquered.

Divide already  experienced crew of aetherweavers  in groups working on how  to improve  ordinary nonweaver spiders to something halfway to demigodhood  to make soldier caste worthy to be led by demigods:
First group would work on altering genetics and implanting new artificial glands
Second would try making enchanted armour out of glass or metal .
Oversee, what they are doing. And assist.

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2019, 11:32:33 am »

PTW

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2019, 11:40:25 am »

"Okay kids lets do something that's potentially stupid and go on a field trip."
Get all the deer men and the deer robot to go in to the bus and drive it out to explore the world, if anything attacks the bus drive back to the tower.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2019, 12:50:09 pm »

Venture forth. And find the souls of lords within the flame.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2019, 01:49:50 pm »

I try modify some ooze to be able to feed on the darkness and grow by this.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

MrThrowaway

• Bay Watcher
  • The Trashman
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2019, 03:58:48 pm »

Ira cautiously probes around the non-thing trying to figure out what it is and if she can defeat it.
el basurero
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35