Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weaponry question - Adamantine/Steel - Quality  (Read 5589 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Weaponry question - Adamantine/Steel - Quality
« on: February 13, 2019, 02:20:15 pm »

Not sure if this was answered in one of the many weaponry research threads. If so link me and feel free to MoCk Me AcCoRDiNgLy.

What would be better, an ☰Adamantine Battle Axe☰ or a ☼Steel battle Axe☼?

Presumably the Steel will hit more, but the adamantine material should exceed that 10% sharpness reduction due to quality and result in more severing of limbs and such, no? Am I understanding it right?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:05:12 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponry question - Adamantine/Steel - Quality
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:53:16 pm »

Sounds right. And the adamantine one's lighter, encumbering/tiring your dwarf a little less, and can shear through steel if need be.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:05:21 pm »

Cool, thanks for the input.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 03:17:44 pm »

Just remove waffles from adamantine description in inorganic_metals.txt or something names alike. Not having adamantine tools, weapons and armor in master quality would suck. :D

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 02:14:47 pm »

Made ten battleaxes, 9 exceptional, one masterwork.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 08:09:24 am »

Material > quality, always. The weapon quality modifier is too insignificant to have any real impact on combat, and would only matter in a check against the quality of armor of the same material, and only if you mod in an edged weapon with a small area, high velocity attack.

Not to mention that a no-quality adamantine axe would have the sharpness value of 50k, while masterwork steel has only 10k. An ☰Adamantine Battle Axe☰ is also worth about 4 times more in dwarfbucks than a ☼Steel battle Axe☼.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:12:20 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 11:17:30 am »

Well there you go then.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 04:19:09 pm »

Sounds right. And the adamantine one's lighter, encumbering/tiring your dwarf a little less, and can shear through steel if need be.

I agree that adamantine is always better, but are you ever likely to encounter enemies armoured in steel? The only time I can think of is if one of your military dwarves goes berserk (which is probably an argument *against* handing out adamantine axes) or you are unfortunate enough to come up against a forgotten beast/titan that's made of steel... or does the latest update allow you to go to war with other dwarven civilisations?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 04:25:07 pm »

Speaking of going to war, tangent question:

How do you decide which commander makes the tactical check? I have one commander who has high tactics, and 4 others who do not, but it seems to choose them at random when I raid.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 04:28:36 pm »

I agree that adamantine is always better, but are you ever likely to encounter enemies armoured in steel? The only time I can think of is if one of your military dwarves goes berserk (which is probably an argument *against* handing out adamantine axes) or you are unfortunate enough to come up against a forgotten beast/titan that's made of steel... or does the latest update allow you to go to war with other dwarven civilisations?

You can indeed war with other dwarf civs now. It's not exactly a common thing for players to do, but... eh. It's there.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 07:07:32 pm »

You can indeed war with other dwarf civs now. It's not exactly a common thing for players to do, but... eh. It's there.

I believe it's considered a civil war if you start one with your own civ.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 01:53:25 am »

@Dunamisdeos:
While a bug allows you to get into a civil war with your own civ, raiding OTHER dwarven civs to goad them into war with your civ is no different from goading any other non neighbor civ into war with you.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 02:54:48 am »

You need all the best equipment if you're about to pierce HFS, trust me

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 02:56:40 pm »

You need all the best equipment if you're about to pierce HFS, trust me

This is the plan, actually.

I've constructed a fort meant to provide advantages to my dwarves as we pierce HFS. I've got 50 axelord dwarves and a squad of crossbow dwarves that will hopefully shoot things when I lock them in their perches. Everyone is wearing nothing but masterwork steel, first squad has adamantine axes.

Yeah, I know I could contrive a dwarfy contraption to just chew clowns up with no problem, but I want to use military might.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 04:10:58 pm »

I've constructed a fort meant to provide advantages to my dwarves as we pierce HFS. I've got 50 axelord dwarves and a squad of crossbow dwarves that will hopefully shoot things when I lock them in their perches. Everyone is wearing nothing but masterwork steel, first squad has adamantine axes.
Make sure you design it so your archers can't get hit by deadly dust or demonfire, then send in your axelords afterwards to mop up the less hazardous ones. Steel can be melted by demonfire.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:12:29 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2