Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding stuff that shouldn't be there in Reclaim Fortress mode  (Read 1516 times)

AngryAboutElves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Finding stuff that shouldn't be there in Reclaim Fortress mode
« on: February 08, 2019, 11:07:37 am »

Hey guys,

I recently lost my first proper fortress to a were-iguana (out of all creatures) attack, which infected a large portion of the fortress. After a drawn-out battle next full moon both the infected and uninfencted "survivors" were pretty much dying, with multiple limbs torn off and losing a lot of blood (at one point half the fortress was pretty much red with blood). I decided to abandon the fortress prematurely with the thought that I probably wouldn't go back to cleaning up this hilarious mess. However, since it was in an almost perfect location I thought I'd give it a try again today.

Besides the fortress being a mess and both corpses, limbs and barrels being scattered over the entirety of the mountain, I noticed that in the list of Dead/Missing people there was also an Olm Man included.
My fortress hasn't stumbled onto one of their tribes before and one of the last things I checked before abandoning the fortress was the unit list. After a bit of exploration I also found the torn limb of a Snake Man.

Is this something random, or is this an indicator that something visited or currently inhabits my old fortress? The settlement itself isn't located in a savage area but I had the mistfortune of not noticing I settled next to one...
I believe my dwarves haven't arrived on a day with a full moon so if it is one of the were-iguanas I'll have them walled up for punishment, but I'm not sure if I should expect something else out there now, especially with the place littered with limbs.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding stuff that shouldn't be there in Reclaim Fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 12:20:06 pm »

When you reclaim a fortress all of the items that existed on the map when you abandoned are scattered.  This includes items from down in the caverns, even unexplored portions.  It's a bit buggy and is still very much a work in progress.  It is also possible that any hostile units that were there when you abandoned are still present, but that isn't an absolute.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:21:44 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 12:20:49 pm »

As far as I know this is pretty normal. The cave tribes don't show up on your unit list until you breach their cavern layer, but they exist and live their merry lives fighting troglodytes and cave spiders. Tends to create random corpses and limbs which then get teleported up to the scrambled item piles on the surface during reclaim.

Still, be wary. Sometimes forgotten beasts end up on the surface, too.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:44:36 am »

As far as I know this is pretty normal. The cave tribes don't show up on your unit list until you breach their cavern layer, but they exist and live their merry lives fighting troglodytes and cave spiders. Tends to create random corpses and limbs which then get teleported up to the scrambled item piles on the surface during reclaim.

Still, be wary. Sometimes forgotten beasts end up on the surface, too.
i'm never going to revlaim my own failed forts again because of these terrible bugs awesome features!
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 02:22:19 pm »

i found a bunch of crundle skeletons lying around in my reclaimed fort... when i'd only breached the first cavern level before losing.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:14:27 am »

When you reclaim a fortress all of the items that existed on the map when you abandoned are scattered.

IIRC, it used to be so that items are scattered based on weight, so that heavy things tend to stay in place. I had a lot of fun making abandoned forts for adventure mode, placing candy spears in gold bins etc...

I wonder if this is still the case?
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).