Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Imperator: Rome - Paradox in Togas?!  (Read 25933 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Imperator: Rome - Paradox in Togas?!
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2020, 07:13:58 pm »

hoi4 hits the scale just right, can be played in one sitting, has clear ending condition but allows for going of the rails and out has the most tactical combat and I think it's the only one where you feel in control of combat as opposed to watching it, all considered is maybe not the best overall but it's the most accessible

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2020, 08:49:57 pm »

Take home for me was the slow but steady growth of Vicky 2 over the past five years!!!

The numbers are low but there's something going on there...

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2020, 10:43:53 pm »

Take home for me was the slow but steady growth of Vicky 2 over the past five years!!!

The numbers are low but there's something going on there...

Its my most played Paradox game despite it being older. My 2nd would be EU4, but I don't play it anymore.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2020, 02:39:26 am »

Likewise, Vicky 2 is the best game Pdox has ever put out, even though it never got the love it deserved from them. It's gotta sting seeing that decade old game above Imperator in playercount, but honestly it just gives me the warm fuzzies, because I hate Imperator and still play Vicky regularly. I'm surprised by the popularity of EUIV to be honest, never really cared for it myself, and I always preferred CK2. HoI though I'm not surprised, it's really come into its own, even though there are still folks who prefer HoI 3.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2020, 06:31:36 am »

If i thought I could learn vicky in a reasonable amount if time id give it a buy . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:51 am »

yea boi vic2 gang for life

If i thought I could learn vicky in a reasonable amount if time id give it a buy . . .
If you have experience with paradox titles it doesn't take long. VicII has some things going for it which other paradox titles don't when it comes to entry level players;
1. Considerably cheaper to get the full game with all expansions (only two expansions, instead of £500 DLC)
2. Comes with a complete tutorial in the game, no need to tab out to wikis.
3. A lot of the things which seem complex can be simplified or completely automated until you decide you want to learn the mechanics. For example, it is easily possible to go through the entire game without ever making any manual adjustments to your economy at all.

The one disadvantage is that while the broadstrokes of the game are easy to grasp when playing, there are a lot of subtler details which are easy to miss, because the game doesn't telegraph them to you. One common noob trap for example is declaring war on a country that is friendly with other great powers but not in their sphere of influence; the game doesn't tell you this gives the rival the option to join the war, and I may be wrong but I don't remember it being in the tutorial either.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2020, 02:51:55 pm »

Vic 2 also doesn't have the kind of total conversion mods you see in CK2 or the HoI games either, for the most part. But it does have some great overhaul mods, namely PDM/PoD. Also, the second DLC (Hearts of Darkness) is basically required to enjoy the game, because the vanilla colonising system is trash (or at least I remember it being trash. It's probably been 8 years since I played with it)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2020, 03:02:19 pm »

It's got a few neat total conversion mods, like the cold war one. Also vic2 zombies is horrendous in a good way, fitting that the PI title with pops would have the best zombies mod

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2020, 03:18:41 pm »

CKII is also the oldest game on the list regularly getting over 1000 players a day, so that might also be a factor.

Honestly the most interesting thing to me was realizing that HoI4 is the most popular Paradox game of the past year or two. I had assumed EUIV or Stellaris still had that title.
Yeah, I found HoI4 underwhelming on launch but I might have to give it a try again, if the player numbers reflect change in quality.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2020, 05:53:08 pm »

CKII is also the oldest game on the list regularly getting over 1000 players a day, so that might also be a factor.

Honestly the most interesting thing to me was realizing that HoI4 is the most popular Paradox game of the past year or two. I had assumed EUIV or Stellaris still had that title.
Yeah, I found HoI4 underwhelming on launch but I might have to give it a try again, if the player numbers reflect change in quality.
I'd say the core gameplay is the same but a lot of systems have been heavily tweaked. Personally I've had a lot of playtime in the Fallout mod.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2020, 06:18:38 pm »

The HOI4 fallout mod is great. I really enjoyed the war of the worlds mod as well, which starts out as normal HOI4 but then aliens happen

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2020, 07:36:49 pm »

Likewise, Vicky 2 is the best game Pdox has ever put out, even though it never got the love it deserved from them. It's gotta sting seeing that decade old game above Imperator in playercount, but honestly it just gives me the warm fuzzies, because I hate Imperator and still play Vicky regularly. I'm surprised by the popularity of EUIV to be honest, never really cared for it myself, and I always preferred CK2. HoI though I'm not surprised, it's really come into its own, even though there are still folks who prefer HoI 3.

Which I sort of thinks is ironic, since Imperator: Rome came closest to trying to reflect the population mechanics of Vicky 2.  I recall reading somewhere that the guy who created the Vicky 2 population and economic mechanics no longer works there, hence their inability to replicate it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2020, 10:18:34 pm »

Which I sort of thinks is ironic, since Imperator: Rome came closest to trying to reflect the population mechanics of Vicky 2.  I recall reading somewhere that the guy who created the Vicky 2 population and economic mechanics no longer works there, hence their inability to replicate it.
While I read that, I've also read Johan claiming he did the pops.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2020, 10:27:24 pm »

Both could always be true.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2020, 03:40:05 pm »

I think Imperator is just a classic streamlining trap. Developers kinda lose touch with what made their games fun in the first place and in the race to make a more accessible game, end up with a so-so product that doesn't really have anything exciting about it.

EDIT: Which is not to say there aren't innovations in the game, but they kind of gutted all the economic and political scheming that has made ALL Paradox Games fun--even the combat is pretty mindless.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12